It’s the Offensive Line, Stupid

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

I, for one, am surprised that JD's bringing an old, injured left tackle looking to retire hasn't worked out.. again. Looking forward to who he can dig up out of their grave for next season.

Maybe get Adrien Clarke in here

• Haha 2

It’s not just the OL
They blocked up some explosive runs Breece couldn’t finish 
Penalties were the real killer
4 trips to RZ should translate into at least 24 pts 
Instead they scored 13

On the plus side, we moved the ball better to get to the red zone.

On the minus side, our finishing once there was inadequate.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

All of the Jets Offensive shortcomings originate with poor O line play. All of them. Stop looking for quick fixes and draft better O linemen. 

Draft more?

How about getting a coach on board who doesn't make every lineman under his watch regress?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

All of the Jets Offensive shortcomings originate with poor O line play. All of them. Stop looking for quick fixes and draft better O linemen. 

Hmm, I seem to recall an earlier thread about this, but everyone said the OP was clueless. . 

If our two golden boys, Hall and Wilson finish even if you take away the Hail Mary we put up 27 and win that game.  

The OL has issues the biggest one being Smith but it wasn’t the big issue last night.  

Rodgers played well, Hall and Wilson played well but they didn’t play winning football.  They were not tough in the red zone.  The skill and finesse is nice but you have to make the tough catch if you’re a big time WR and you have to put your head down and drag a smaller man into the end zone when he’s the only guy between you and a TD.

Lazard actually earned his money last night.  He’s a big stiff compared to Wilson but he made some tough catches.

• Post of the Week 2

21 minutes ago, Theodore said:

Troy Aikman said on the broadcast that the Jets have good individual olineman, but don’t know how to play together. Isn’t that on coaching?

Smith is absolutely a big stiff right now.  You could cut him and we wouldn’t miss him.

6 hours ago, kdels62 said:

We threw for 294 and ran for 100+. Don’t think it was really the OL tonight. 

We had a slight advantage in TOP.   The OL wasn’t the problem last night.  It was finishing TD drives.  Wilson and Hall in particular.

16 minutes ago, Rochester Jets said:

The Jets just don’t play like winners.  Like they know they’re not going to win games like this.  Is it a lack of confidence or leadership?  Both?

This. And i can’t explain it.  You see it most in the red zone.  The team as a whole can’t finish.  Rodgers was supposed to help with this.  

Overall, i think the biggest thing here is that the ‘talent on paper’ thing was overrated.  The defense is not elite, it’s decent.  And the OL is decent at best.  Two of the starting tackles are too old and it’s a good thing they drafted fashanu.

the team would benefit by playing fashanu bc rodgers wants to stand in the pocket as long as possible.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Theodore said:

Troy Aikman said on the broadcast that the Jets have good individual olineman, but don’t know how to play together. Isn’t that on coaching?

Agree. But how long ago did JD make drafting O lineman a priority? The result? 2 starting O lineman drafted by the Jets. Pitiful!

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Agree. But how long ago did JD make drafting O lineman a priority? The result? 2 starting O lineman drafted by the Jets. Pitiful!

It should be 3 and smith is now a liability.  I think there’s a few sacks where rodgers was shocked the guy got to him.  

We’re on the cusp of a mini rebuild where the team is far from barren of talent, like the end of the mccagnan era, but not close to contention.  They need to fortify the run d, but they also need a qb.  

Becton (1st round), AVT (1st round), Tipp-y (2nd round), Fashanu (1st round) were all high draft picks.  Carter Warren was taken in the 4th.

JD also spent on several FAs. 

The bottom line is that it just hasn't worked out.  The one thing we should've been able to rely on JD for was building a good OL but he's been a complete failure at it.  And Keith Carter stinks too.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, kdels62 said:

We threw for 294 and ran for 100+. Don’t think it was really the OL tonight. 

How many runs, especially at the goal line, was blown up in the backfield? How many pockets were broken immediately by the bills? How many missed blocks did the O line have?  How many times was Rodgers hit? How many costly penalties did the O line commit?

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Becton (1st round), AVT (1st round), Tipp-y (2nd round), Fashanu (1st round) were all high draft picks.  Carter Warren was taken in the 4th.

JD also spent on several FAs. 

The bottom line is that it just hasn't worked out.  The one thing we should've been able to rely on JD for was building a good OL but he's been a complete failure at it.  And Keith Carter stinks too.

But last night it was the LT that was giving up much of the pressure.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This. And i can’t explain it.  You see it most in the red zone.  The team as a whole can’t finish.  Rodgers was supposed to help with this.  

Overall, i think the biggest thing here is that the ‘talent on paper’ thing was overrated.  The defense is not elite, it’s decent.  And the OL is decent at best.  Two of the starting tackles are too old and it’s a good thing they drafted fashanu.

the team would benefit by playing fashanu bc rodgers wants to stand in the pocket as long as possible.  

It's interesting that we never even attempt to throw those "corner of the end zone" type passes to Mike Williams when we're at the goal line, despite the accuracy of our QB.  And we ran it to Breece on the goal line again last night.  I know we ran it once to Braelon too (and it was called back) but the Breece goal line runs need to stop.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It should be 3 and smith is now a liability.  I think there’s a few sacks where rodgers was shocked the guy got to him.  

We’re on the cusp of a mini rebuild where the team is far from barren of talent, like the end of the mccagnan era, but not close to contention.  They need to fortify the run d, but they also need a qb.  

Why can’t the jets find starting I lineman in the 3rd or later rounds? Other teams do.

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

How many runs, especially at the goal line, was blown up in the backfield? How many pockets were broken immediately by the bills? How many missed blocks did the O line have?  How many times was Rodgers hit? How many costly penalties did the O line commit?

Yeah, I agree. We ran for 5.8 YPC, but it sure seemed like we came up small at important times. And Rodgers is going to get killed by this oline.

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's interesting that we never even attempt to throw those "corner of the end zone" type passes to Mike Williams when we're at the goal line, despite the accuracy of our QB.  And we ran it to Breece on the goal line again last night.  I know we ran it once to Braelon too (and it was called back) but the Breece goal line runs need to stop.  

Puzzling, and i thought that was a big reason they got a guy like williams.  They just don’t attack the end zone like other teams.