Joe Douglas is 29-60 as GM. Should he be fired?

Should Joe Douglas be fired?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should Joe Douglas be fired?

Just now, nj meadowlands said:

It continues to astound me that aside from a pocket of this board, the Jets fan base gives Joe Douglas and his unprecedentedly abysmal record as GM any heat.  So let's take the board's temperature!

In our defense, we are grading him on a relative scale vs John Idzik and Mike Maccagnan. 

• En Fuego 1

I believe at seasons end this regime (JD, the remaining Saleh staff, and Aaron Rodgers) will all be gone, and a new staff will start a new rebuild.  This is something I support.  We've given JD and his regime more than enough time to show something, and they simply have not.  Best of luck to him, but I'd prefer to try something and someone else.

• Upvote 1

• JD has already been told this is his last year.  It appears that Saleh had an extra year on his contract vs JD, unless JD was extended to match Saleh’s.  In any event, this is it.  
  • JD obviously had to work with Woody, and there were Woody decisions that he had to work with.  But I think there is also support for many decisions by JD that were just not building a competitive football team.  Woody thinks that this is the most talented Jets team ever.  That may be the case if you look at every player’s best year in their career, but in their current veteran states, they ain’t that talented.  
  • Let’s remember that when JD, and the coaches, go, the vast majority of the scouting and personnel staff will remain, Woody’s Permanent Bureaucratic Deep State.  It is their crappy scouting reports that have been behind the crappy football that we have watched over the last 20+ years.  That is not changing.  
  • I am not going to start with the Draft Countdown, what do we do next year stuff.   It is a bit too early for that.  Let’s see what happens.  But for this season to work out, the Jets should have been 4-3 or 3-4 after the Steelers game.   We are looking at 2-5 unless they upset the Steelers, in Pittsburgh.  
  • Sympathy 1

I’m less concerned about Woody firing Joe Douglas than I am of Joe Douglas telling Woody to go **** himself as he allows his contract to expire. Today’s opinion? I expect a new regime next year, and I expect the Jets and their idiot owner to attract nothing but the worst possible candidates; the guys like Idzik and Maccagnan who never would’ve gotten a GM job anywhere else. Who’s coming to work for the guy? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • En Fuego 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I believe at seasons end this regime (JD, the remaining Saleh staff, and Aaron Rodgers) will all be gone, and a new staff will start a new rebuild.  This is something I support.  We've given JD and his regime more than enough time to show something, and they simply have not.  Best of luck to him, but I'd prefer to try something and someone else.

I think you're right about where this is heading, but the real issue isn’t just Joe Douglas or Robert Saleh—it’s Woody Johnson. The Jets' problems are rooted in poor ownership, and Woody Johnson’s closest comparison is 2000-2020 James Dolan.

Like Dolan, Woody has a habit of meddling in key decisions without a clear long-term vision. Reports suggest Woody was behind the drafting of Zach Wilson and the push to bring in Aaron Rodgers. He’s also responsible for firing Mike LaFleur, despite Saleh's objections, and hiring Nathaniel Hackett purely to attract Rodgers—moves that don’t address the underlying issues.

Just as Dolan’s hiring of Isiah Thomas and forcing the Carmelo Anthony trade crippled the Knicks for years, Woody’s constant interference has created instability and led to short-sighted decisions. The Knicks spent years cleaning up the mess caused by Dolan’s actions, from gutting their roster to alienating front-office talent. Now, the Jets are trapped in a similar cycle of dysfunction, driven by Woody’s inability to let football professionals do their jobs.

At the core, both teams suffer from the same fundamental issue—owners who consistently get in the way of their own success. Once Dolan stepped back and let the basketball experts take control, success followed. Woody Johnson would be wise to follow that same playbook.

• Post of the Week 1

he should have been fired after picking wilson , becton and mims-right there he should have been gone-instead we wasted a few years on a guy that is bad and that is the fault of Woody

I dont know anybody that they can bring in as gm at this point-anybody of substance will steer clear of the jets unless Woody massively overpays 

no coach of substance will want to go to a team with literally no QB for the future on the roster

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m less concerned about Woody firing Joe Douglas than I am of Joe Douglas telling Woody to go **** himself as he allows his contract to expire. Today’s opinion? I expect a new regime next year, and I expect the Jets and their idiot owner to attract nothing but the worst possible candidates; the guys like Idzik and Maccagnan who never would’ve gotten a GM job anywhere else. Who’s coming to work for the guy? 

Look at all of the FO types who basically used Woody as a retirement plan.  Gase and Mac are basically in the Witness Protection Program.   Has anyone seen them in 5 years?  

Who knows who takes JD back at this point, but he should land something.  Saleh may never HC again.   We may have seen the last of Hackett and Keith Carter on NFL staffs.  

6 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

.....the real issue isn’t just Joe Douglas or Robert Saleh—it’s Woody Johnson. The Jets' problems are rooted in poor ownership.....

You may be right.

But I'll be 100% honest, if I allowed myself to believe that, that we have (as 80 likes to say) no chance to win while Woody is owner, I would quit being a Jets Fan and just shift to someone else, like the Commanders maybe.  Because Woody isn't selling, and he doesn't seem like a man on deaths door.  And I'm not going to waste my (sports) life on a sure thing loser.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Look at all of the FO types who basically used Woody as a retirement plan.  Gase and Mac are basically in the Witness Protection Program.   Has anyone seen them in 5 years?  

Who knows who takes JD back at this point, but he should land something.  Saleh may never HC again.   We may have seen the last of Hackett and Keith Carter on NFL staffs.  

If Joe Douglas wants to work next season, he’ll be snapped up fast. 

• Upvote 1

It's becoming pretty apparent that JD's time is starting to come to an end.

At this point, JD & Saleh's ultimate purpose was to be a bridge unit and reset the state of the NYJ. When they came in, the cupboard couldn't have been more bare. They took the lumps of a true bottomed-out team rebuild and set the Jets up with a really nice core of young talent despite missing so terribly on the young QB that catapults the bad/lucky teams.

Ultimately, the next GM/HC combination will be coming into a really nice situation (sans a young QB of course) and get to take over a team that's ready to produce immediately. 

Who knows where the rest of the season is going but that's what it looks like today

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You may be right.

But I'll be 100% honest, if I allowed myself to believe that, that we have (as 80 likes to say) no chance to win while Woody is owner, I would quit being a Jets Fan and just shift to someone else, like the Commanders maybe.  Because Woody isn't selling, and he doesn't seem like a man on deaths door.  And I'm not going to waste my (sports) life on a sure thing loser.

Get excited for the Brick Johnson era.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

You may be right.

I'm just about checked out. If this team loses next week, my attention will be directed towards college football, the Knicks and Rangers. Also, while Woody is in great health, he has been known to ride a scooter around NYC....

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

His actual results are worse than both of them though..

And what would that record be if Woody Johnson never drafted Zach Wilson? What is the Jets stayed with Sam Darnold and drafted Jamar Chase/Penei Sewell/Micah Parsons/etc.?

Joe Douglas has been hamstrung by a lunatic owner.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

And what would that record be if Woody Johnson never drafted Zach Wilson? What is the Jets stayed with Sam Darnold and drafted Jamar Chase/Penei Sewell/Micah Parsons/etc.?

Yea, that's tough. If only we had a way to have JD operate with the same owner that the other two had..

12 minutes ago, slats said:

If Joe Douglas wants to work next season, he’ll be snapped up fast. 

I think one of his former teams needs to take him back.  It is not clear what role plays.  Is he scouting again?  

I suspect that he may have been exposed a bit in Philadelphia.  Andre Dillard was pick.  

I think Saleh is an easier call.  i think he is going back to his old job.  

2 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

It’s all bad. We’ll never know the ins and outs but Woody obviously meddles. Douglas is clearly not cut out for this job however. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

this is the dialog that will start to be leaked from the. JD and Saleh camp so that someone else gives them another chance.  It is a true story, but I am not 100% confident they find success in their next stops either.  

32 minutes ago, slats said:

Same thing with HC’s. I am pretty sure that most guys when they are interviewing have zero interest in coming here. Probably why all of Woody’s hires other than dipsh!t Gase are all first timers. 

Biggest problem with the Jets is the guy writing the checks

I would fire him if there's a blue chip Head Coach prospect interested in coming here with his own front office staff. If we are gonna **** around with first time coordinators who could have gone here or some other hellhole organization, then I'd retain JD

I was a JD supporter for longest time but more.  His love for over the hill vets has finally soured me on him.  Hell, we did better with Zach under center than we're doing now. 

I know the AR8 was a Woody thing and now another Woody thing in Adams.  At this point in the season with this disfunctional CS/roster it's just too much.  JD or whoever  the GM is needs to be able to talk Woody out of this stuff.

I guess he would need to not love over the hill vets first though.                

at 45 seconds here we see the 4th overall pick not being able to take an angle or run like the way an athlete is supposed to run. Whether Sauce was Douglas or Woody, it’s another high end asset that was burned. The kid can’t play.