Schott Say No To Fins: MERGED

Barton

hahahahahaaha

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2732215

New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, believed to be one of the front-runners for the Miami Dolphins' head coaching vacancy, withdrew from consideration for the position on Monday, league sources told ESPN.com.

The sources did not elaborate on a reason for Schottenheimer's surprising decision. Schottenheimer is the son of San Diego Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer.

One of 12 candidates interviewed by Miami officials since coach Nick Saban left the Dolphins to accept the job at the University of Alabama, Schottenheimer was among a group called back for follow-up sessions with team officials. He was to have met with Miami executives on Monday, but canceled the trip.

Some observers felt that Schottenheimer, who has been an NFL assistant for eight seasons, had the inside track to the Dolphins' job.

Over the past two days, the Dolphins met for a second time with former Atlanta Falcons coach Jim Mora and Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey. Club officials have not revealed the finalists for the job, said how many candidates will be granted interviews or publicly discussed a timetable for filling the position.

In his first season as a coordinator, Schottenheimer led the Jets to just a No. 25 statistical ranking in total offense. But the New York offense was better than that number indicates, and Schottenheimer, viewed as a rising star in league circles, was instrumental in resurrecting the career of quarterback Chad Pennington.

Schottenheimer, 33, was a college quarterback at Kansas (1992) and Florida (1993-96), and began his coaching career at Syracuse in 1999. He also served on the staff at Southern California in 2000. His NFL experience includes tours of duty with St. Louis (1997), Kansas City (1998), Washington (2001) and San Diego (2002-2005).

Maybe he sees all the heat papa is taking now, and decided being a HC in the NFL is not as glorious as it seems.. he's only 33, and I'm sure he'll have alot of oppurtunities in the future. Whatever the case, I'm glad, and our offense will only be better next year under him, so I'm happy.

That's cool but it sucks that we're going to be losing him most likely after next season.

Who would we be grooming for his replacement?

But the positive is that Chad won't have to go through a 4th OC in 4 seasons and just as importantly Kellen Clemens will get another year of guidance and info from Schotty.

hahahahahaaha

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2732215

New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, believed to be one of the front-runners for the Miami Dolphins' head coaching vacancy, withdrew from consideration for the position on Monday, league sources told ESPN.com.

The sources did not elaborate on a reason for Schottenheimer's surprising decision. Schottenheimer is the son of San Diego Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer.

One of 12 candidates interviewed by Miami officials since coach Nick Saban left the Dolphins to accept the job at the University of Alabama, Schottenheimer was among a group called back for follow-up sessions with team officials. He was to have met with Miami executives on Monday, but canceled the trip.

Some observers felt that Schottenheimer, who has been an NFL assistant for eight seasons, had the inside track to the Dolphins' job.

Over the past two days, the Dolphins met for a second time with former Atlanta Falcons coach Jim Mora and Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey. Club officials have not revealed the finalists for the job, said how many candidates will be granted interviews or publicly discussed a timetable for filling the position.

In his first season as a coordinator, Schottenheimer led the Jets to just a No. 25 statistical ranking in total offense. But the New York offense was better than that number indicates, and Schottenheimer, viewed as a rising star in league circles, was instrumental in resurrecting the career of quarterback Chad Pennington.

Schottenheimer, 33, was a college quarterback at Kansas (1992) and Florida (1993-96), and began his coaching career at Syracuse in 1999. He also served on the staff at Southern California in 2000. His NFL experience includes tours of duty with St. Louis (1997), Kansas City (1998), Washington (2001) and San Diego (2002-2005).

I'm pretty sure Mangini and co. were considered morons by the media when he hired Schotty and now he's a rising star? Doesn't anyone live by their words? A$$holes.

Wow!

That is a shock..

Something tells me that his dad talked him out of it.

Probably said that he isn't ready.

Maybe he didn't like the fact that Miami is foisting their DC and coaches on people. I'm also pretty sure that their player personnel situation is up in the air. Probably not the best situation, shares some similarities with Oakland. Especially since they seem to have a win now, we're not that far away mentality. I'd rather be given autonomy to take over some dump from scratch.

I'm pretty sure Mangini and co. were considered morons by the media when he hired Schotty and now he's a rising star? Doesn't anyone live by their words? A$$holes.

Nope, that's why it's best just to ignore them completely. Remember, the Titans were stupid for taking VY, Reggie Bush is the greatest RB of all time, the Jets got hosed for trading Herm for a 4th round pick, the Jets also got hosed for trading Abraham for the 29th pick, Mangini sucks because he is too young, Mangini sucks because he doesn't talk to reporters, and all of that is just from this year.

Oh yeah, and another thing, Woody is cheap. I think Woody figured out a year ago to do the opposite of what the media said, so he got rid of Hermy and got Mangini, the two moves the media seemed to oppose most vehemently. And now Woody and Mangini seem to refuse to talk to the media, and our team is on the rise. Gotta love it!!!

Got this from the Sun Sentinel:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-115schottenheimer,0,4545181.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Report: Jets' Schottenheimer pulls name from 'Fins list

By Harvey Fialkov

Sun-Sentinel.com

Posted January 15 2007, 5:42 PM EST

The Dolphins will have one less candidate to consider for the vacant head-coaching job as Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has removed his name from the shrinking list, according to a report on ESPN.com.

Schottenheimer was due in for a second interview on Tuesday, but evidently, the 33-year-old son of Chargers beleaguered coach Marty Schottenheimer, didn't believe he had enough experience for the top spot.

Former Falcons coach Jim Mora, 45, who completed his second interview Monday afternoon at team headquarters, as did Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey (on Sunday) now emerge as the frontrunners to replace Nick Saban.

The Dolphins would seem to be in the market for an offensive-minded coach like Schottenheimer or Gailey, since they agreed to a new three-year deal for defensive chief Dom Capers last week.

Under Schottenheimer's watch, Jets quarterback Chad Pennington overcame two shoulder surgeries within a year to earn the 2006 NFL Comeback Player of the Year award.

While serving as his father's quarterbacks coach on the Chargers from 2002-05 he helped current Saints Pro Bowl quarterback Drew Brees earn the same award in 2004.

Despite the loss of veteran running back Curtis Martin and a young offensive line, Schottenheimer's no-huddle, short-passing attack helped the surprising 10-7 Jets reach the playoffs, while starting receivers

Nope, that's why it's best just to ignore them completely. Remember, the Titans were stupid for taking VY, Reggie Bush is the greatest RB of all time, the Jets got hosed for trading Herm for a 4th round pick, the Jets also got hosed for trading Abraham for the 29th pick, Mangini sucks because he is too young, Mangini sucks because he doesn't talk to reporters, and all of that is just from this year.

Very, very good point.

Btw, you wrote remember the titans (I'm tired and for some reason that was funny) :)

Got this from the Sun Sentinel:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-115schottenheimer,0,4545181.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Report: Jets' Schottenheimer pulls name from 'Fins list

By Harvey Fialkov

Sun-Sentinel.com

Posted January 15 2007, 5:42 PM EST

The Dolphins will have one less candidate to consider for the vacant head-coaching job as Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has removed his name from the shrinking list, according to a report on ESPN.com.

Schottenheimer was due in for a second interview on Tuesday, but evidently, the 33-year-old son of Chargers beleaguered coach Marty Schottenheimer, didn't believe he had enough experience for the top spot.

Former Falcons coach Jim Mora, 45, who completed his second interview Monday afternoon at team headquarters, as did Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey (on Sunday) now emerge as the frontrunners to replace Nick Saban.

The Dolphins would seem to be in the market for an offensive-minded coach like Schottenheimer or Gailey, since they agreed to a new three-year deal for defensive chief Dom Capers last week.

Under Schottenheimer's watch, Jets quarterback Chad Pennington overcame two shoulder surgeries within a year to earn the 2006 NFL Comeback Player of the Year award.

While serving as his father's quarterbacks coach on the Chargers from 2002-05 he helped current Saints Pro Bowl quarterback Drew Brees earn the same award in 2004.

Despite the loss of veteran running back Curtis Martin and a young offensive line, Schottenheimer's no-huddle, short-passing attack helped the surprising 10-7 Jets reach the playoffs, while starting receivers

hey MiamiJet did you used to post under that name on the old Rivals boards and Matt's board? Must have been around 99-00

I don't believe so, but possibly.

I use the same tag on GG.com and JI, as well as JetAddicts, but I haven't posted much on those sites of late.

Maybe he didn't like the fact that Miami is foisting their DC and coaches on people.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. This is an impossible situation, inheriting a staff. If you are being asked to run the show and put your ass on the line, you should be able to do it with your own people. Miami is a crappy situation anyway, with an aging team and an owner who doen't know his ass from his elbow.

Don't be surprised id "Sonny boy Brian" withdrew from consideration in order to give Pops a shot at that job.

It's pretty well known that Marty S doesn't get along with the San Diego GM, and with the quick ousting of the Chargers, may be looking for "new digs".

Don Shula loves the senior Shottenheimer and carries alot of weight with Wayne H, so Marty could be headed to Fishtown.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. This is an impossible situation, inheriting a staff. If you are being asked to run the show and put your ass on the line, you should be able to do it with your own people. Miami is a crappy situation anyway, with an aging team and an owner who doen't know his ass from his elbow.

and who is doing exactly what he did with the Marlins-spend a ton of money to try and get a championship and then sell the team...I'm seeing right through this guy since we went through the same thing in 97-98 down here-screw Wayne and his money making schemes

On Monday night, New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer withdrew his name from consideration for the Miami Dolphins' head coaching vacancy. Schottenheimer, who just completed his first season at the offensive controls in New York, was granted permission to interview for the position by the Green & White. The Jets released two statements this evening....

More...

On Monday night, New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer withdrew his name from consideration for the Miami Dolphins' head coaching vacancy. Schottenheimer, who just completed his first season at the offensive controls in New York, was granted permission to interview for the position by the Green & White. The Jets released two statements this evening....

More...

I like that he is committed to the New York Jets. Seeing him go to the fins would have sucked. Someday he'll go to a team I hope I can root for to succeed, as long as its not at our expense. I think going to a team that already picked and paid top dollar to a defensive coordinator is a bad move for a young coach. He needs to be able to pick his staff.

I wonder if anyone is considering that maybe BS doesn't feel that he's ready himself, even if the Dolphins' brass thinks he might be.

Could also be he wants to remain attached to an emerging force for future benefit to himself. HAH, imagine 'emerging force' and the 'Jets' used in the same sentence. Now that floats me.

Anyway, another year's experience, we do well, his stock goes up, he gets more leverage. Makes sense for him to cut his teeth more. I'll worry about his exit when it comes. For now, I'm glad he'll be on staff for '07. GO JETS!

Could also be he wants to remain attached to an emerging force for future benefit to himself. HAH, imagine 'emerging force' and the 'Jets' used in the same sentence. Now that floats me.

Anyway, another year's experience, we do well, his stock goes up, he gets more leverage. Makes sense for him to cut his teeth more. I'll worry about his exit when it comes. For now, I'm glad he'll be on staff for '07. GO JETS!

That doesn't make sense. Bettering himself would be to give him a shot at a HC position. Well if that's what he sought then why would he turn one down (assuming it was going to be offered)?

Only possibilities I can think of:

1. He doesn't want to be a HC in the AFCE specifically b/c of loyalty to EM. However possible, it's doubtful this is the case.

2. He's holding out for a job he deems to be a better situation. That team is married to an immobile Daunte Culpepper. His DC has just been dictated to him for the next 3 years whether he likes it or not. Just a dumb move on Miami's part. They make this announcement & the next day the possible front-runner for the job suddenly says "no thanks."

3. He doesn't feel that he's ready himself.

That doesn't make sense. Bettering himself would be to give him a shot at a HC position. Well if that's what he sought then why would he turn one down (assuming it was going to be offered)?

It made sense to me, but I guess I wasn't clear. Of course a HC job is a step up. What I meant was that getting another year in, getting more comfortable in his own skin, being successful here may win him more clout and free reign as a HC in the near future as opposed to taking it now, today, being 'unproven'. Of course Mangini was in a similar boat, but someone else may not be as willing to give as much leeway. Given that, maybe he didn't like what he smelled. He took himself out of contention, so I guess who knows is really the way of it.

Don't be surprised id "Sonny boy Brian" withdrew from consideration in order to give Pops a shot at that job.

It's pretty well known that Marty S doesn't get along with the San Diego GM, and with the quick ousting of the Chargers, may be looking for "new digs".

Don Shula loves the senior Shottenheimer and carries alot of weight with Wayne H, so Marty could be headed to Fishtown.

Actually, this makes the most sence to me. Shula and Marty are known to be buddies, and I wonder if the timing of Brian dropping out the day after his Father lost again in teh 1st playoff game has something to do with it.

Curious timing, to say the least.:Typotux:

Only possibilities I can think of:

1. He doesn't want to be a HC in the AFCE specifically b/c of loyalty to EM. However possible, it's doubtful this is the case.

2. He's holding out for a job he deems to be a better situation. That team is married to an immobile Daunte Culpepper. His DC has just been dictated to him for the next 3 years whether he likes it or not. Just a dumb move on Miami's part. They make this announcement & the next day the possible front-runner for the job suddenly says "no thanks."

3. He doesn't feel that he's ready himself.

SE-good point about maybe it's because of Culpepper-talk about trying to fit a sqare peg into a round hole.Does anybody think Duante has the wherewithall to run the same offense we ran this year? yea, me neither

Archived