Mangini a marked man ? From PFT

HAMMERMILL

POSTED 10:17 a.m. EDT, September 18, 2007

BILLICK COMPLAINTS JUST THE BEGINNING FOR MANGINI?

A league source opined to us on Tuesday morning that the recent comments of Ravens coach Brian Billick are "only the beginning" of the backlash that Jets head coach Eric Mangini will face after blowing the whistle on his former employer, the New England Patriots.

On Monday, Billick claimed that Jets defensive players illegal simulated the snap count, causing three illegal procedure penalties in Sunday's game between New York and Baltimore.

Some folks in league circles are troubled by the notion that Mangini violated the code of silence among coaches, doing so not because it was "the right thing to do," but because he thought he could gain a competitive advantage by pointing out a competitive advantage that he previously used to his own advantage, culminating in the head-coaching position he now holds.

If, some believe, Mangini believed that it was wrong to videotape defensive signals, he should have taken a stand when he was working for the Patriots.

So, as a result, anything that the Jets do that technically constitutes "cheating" will likely now be the subject of public complaints from other coaches.

With that said, guys like Billick should pick their battles carefully. Things that happen as part of the action on the field are extremely different, in our view, from secretly (or, as in the case of the Patriots, blatantly) videotaping defensive signals. As to the former, guys in black and white uniforms are in place to police possible rules violations. So if the Jets are calling out phony snap counts in an effort to rattle the Ravens' young offensive linemen, the game officials need to be flagging it.

It's no different, in our estimation, than holding or pass interference or anything else that happens on the field. It's only a penalty if a penalty is called, and guys surely get away with stuff in each and every game that is played.

Still, the message to Mangini is clear. He hurled a boulder in a cul-de-sac of glass houses. He can now expect plenty of rocks to come flying his way from the neighbors.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is true and there is a "code of silence" among coaches (would think it would only be some) to bypass the NFL rules then this could be the worst busines for me to spend my time and money on.

I am sure just like in any orginization there are clicks and I would think that the click that BB is part of would do something like this. All Billick is doing here is showing what side he is on and showing his true colors. There are other coachs that are speaking out against what they did and I would rather be on that side of the fence.

If this is true and there is a "code of silence" among coaches (would think it would only be some) to bypass the NFL rules then this could be the worst busines for me to spend my time and money on.

I am sure just like in any orginization there are clicks and I would think that the click that BB is part of would do something like this. All Billick is doing here is showing what side he is on and showing his true colors. There are other coachs that are speaking out against what they did and I would rather be on that side of the fence.

This is just the begining of the trouble for Mangina and the Jets. Are Jet fans so dumb that they don't understand the Mangina took part in the video taping when he was in New England? He was the D coordinator, and is every bit as guilty of cheating as B.B. Yet Jet fans dion't want to talk about that now do they? ;)

This is just the begining of the trouble for Mangina and the Jets. Are Jet fans so dumb that they don't understand the Mangina took part in the video taping when he was in New England? He was the D coordinator, and is every bit as guilty of cheating as B.B. Yet Jet fans dion't want to talk about that now do they? ;)

He did?

Really?

Do you have any proof at all? Or are you just being a troll?

He was the D coordinator, and is every bit as guilty of cheating as B.B.

that's a stretch. the head coach is more guilty than the D coordinator.

Yet Jet fans dion't want to talk about that now do they? ;)

Jets fans want to talk about things that effect the Jets.

He did?

Really?

Do you have any proof at all? Or are you just being a troll?

Let me see, you belive Mangini knew nothing about it? Please,,, if B.B. is a scumbag cheater then Mangina is an even bigger one. Like I said, only a fool would belive Mangina didn't take part in this.

Let me see, you belive Mangini knew nothing about it? Please,,, if B.B. is a scumbag cheater then Mangina is an even bigger one. Like I said, only a fool would belive Mangina didn't take part in this.

Of course he might have known about it, what did you want him to do? Sacrafice his career to rat out BB??? He didnt wait long once he was gone... supposedly he tried to get BB busted last season...

You can spin it however you want... but at the end of the day... BB and the Pats are a fraud...

Actually dumb dumb there was a whole thread about it, where Jets fans acknowledged that exact thing. Now, please do me a favor and point out anyone else who is willing to commit career suicide by outing his own team. When you find that person I'll listen. Until then, for the love of god go back to JI where asshats like yourself belong.

Of course he might have known about it, what did you want him to do? Sacrafice his career to rat out BB??? He didnt wait long once he was gone... supposedly he tried to get BB busted last season...

You can spin it however you want... but at the end of the day... BB and the Pats are a fraud...

Look you can cry about it, you can kick and scream how unfair it is, do whatever makes you feel better. The bottom line is the Jets are a joke that havn't come close to a Super Bowl in 40 years. If it makes you feel better to tell yourself the Pats did it all by cheating, have at it for all I care. The bottom line is no one will remember China doll Penington, or D Slob, or Mangina, in the end those that understand football will rember the Patriots for what they are, one of the greatest teams of all time, and there's nothing your jealous little mind can do about it. :P:p:p

Look you can cry about it, you can kick and scream how unfair it is, do whatever makes you feel better. The bottom line is the Jets are a joke that havn't come close to a Super Bowl in 40 years. If it makes you feel better to tell yourself the Pats did it all by cheating, have at it for all I care. The bottom line is no one will remember China doll Penington, or D Slob, or Mangina, in the end those that understand football will rember the Patriots for what they are, one of the greatest teams of all time, and there's nothing your jealous little mind can do about it. :P:p:p

Pats were a joke for a long time before belli-fat started to cheat

I love how somehow Mangini is considered worse than the guy that actually did the cheating, and somehow NFL HCs prefer to be someone's bitch rather than be on equal competitive standing. Steve Young played in the NFL and he seems to think there wasn't any cheating going on, and if there was it was hidden very well and done by a minority of teams. Tony Dungy went and won the Super Bowl last year, and he tore into BB. The truth is no coach in the NFL is going to let BB or anyone get one up on them if they can catch it. Most of the NFL teams have been reviewing their materials looking to hit the Cheatriots with more dirt, this doesn't sound like some sort of backlash against Mangini to me at all, instead it looks like everyone is trying to look out for themselves now.

Doesn't Billick accuse someone of cheating every week? How is this anything new?

They'll remember the Patsies for cheating....

Because they cheated, and it has been proven. Say what you will about the Jets and Mangini, but the fact is the PATRIOTS AND BB, not the Jets, cheated....Just own up to it instead of blaming everyone else.

You do realize a person's last name has nothing to do with being a man or a woman, yes?

POSTED 10:17 a.m. EDT, September 18, 2007

BILLICK COMPLAINTS JUST THE BEGINNING FOR MANGINI?

A league source opined to us on Tuesday morning that the recent comments of Ravens coach Brian Billick are "only the beginning" of the backlash that Jets head coach Eric Mangini will face after blowing the whistle on his former employer, the New England Patriots.

On Monday, Billick claimed that Jets defensive players illegal simulated the snap count, causing three illegal procedure penalties in Sunday's game between New York and Baltimore.

Some folks in league circles are troubled by the notion that Mangini violated the code of silence among coaches, doing so not because it was "the right thing to do," but because he thought he could gain a competitive advantage by pointing out a competitive advantage that he previously used to his own advantage, culminating in the head-coaching position he now holds.

If, some believe, Mangini believed that it was wrong to videotape defensive signals, he should have taken a stand when he was working for the Patriots.

So, as a result, anything that the Jets do that technically constitutes "cheating" will likely now be the subject of public complaints from other coaches.

With that said, guys like Billick should pick their battles carefully. Things that happen as part of the action on the field are extremely different, in our view, from secretly (or, as in the case of the Patriots, blatantly) videotaping defensive signals. As to the former, guys in black and white uniforms are in place to police possible rules violations. So if the Jets are calling out phony snap counts in an effort to rattle the Ravens' young offensive linemen, the game officials need to be flagging it.

It's no different, in our estimation, than holding or pass interference or anything else that happens on the field. It's only a penalty if a penalty is called, and guys surely get away with stuff in each and every game that is played.

Still, the message to Mangini is clear. He hurled a boulder in a cul-de-sac of glass houses. He can now expect plenty of rocks to come flying his way from the neighbors.

Do you have a link for this? I would like to see who wrote this.

Actually all us fans tthat actually give a damn about our team will remember, we dont need multiple trophy's to validate our passion for the team and the game, (some more would be nice) half of the patsteriks fans are only fans becuase of the rings, assteriks were a joke prior to the superbowl victorys, and now they will always be remembered for cheating also, awesome ain't it?!! look at our sold out stadium every week with a huge waiting list for season tickets the pats could not do that without the rings. So we must be a real good joke, because it seems to me alot of people love to watch and root for the Jets.

Semper Fi:fighting0002::beer:

Do you have a link for this? I would like to see who wrote this.

PFT was on fire last week with all kinds of speculation/slander against the Pats and most Jets fans were eating it up like gospel (I'm not calling you out).

PFT is a rumour mill and never says who writes their "articles."

Here is the website: http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Archived