Mangreeni stands behind Chadwick

Kentucky Jet

10/08/2007 10:33 PM ET

Yes, Mangini stands behind Chad

Coach has complete confidence in players, coaches

By Dylan Butler / SNY.tv

Thomas Jones had very few touches in the second half, carrying the ball only three times for eight yards. (AP)

print this pageemail this page

With one three-letter word, Eric Mangini repeated what he said after the Jets' stunning and potentially devastating 35-24 loss to the Giants Sunday, reaffirming his commitment to starting quarterback Chad Pennington.

The answer was 'Yes,' which was the response to what will likely become the daily question of: "Is Pennington still the starting quarterback?"

Addressing the media Monday at Weeb Ewbank Hall, Mangini didn't waver on Pennington, although it's not such a crazy question as it was earlier in the season.

"Everybody is accountable, and that's what you're looking for from a team," Mangini said. "Each person is accountable. Players and coaches are accountable. Everybody can do things better and everybody should be disappointed."

Pennington is in the midst of the worst slump of his professional career. He has five interceptions in his last five quarters, including one late in each of the last two fourth quarters that killed rallies.

When Pennington was first criticized this year, it came when he limped off the field against New England in Week 1 with a high ankle sprain. Fans cheered loudly for backup Kellen Clemens when he replaced Pennington and the second-year QB out of Oregon had a solid second half in a Week 2 loss at Baltimore.

The complaints that Pennington has a weak arm is nothing new. But add in a lack of execution or perhaps even a lack of confidence and that's a recipe for disaster.

Against the Giants, Pennington threw three interceptions, including two by Aaron Ross, the last run back 43 yards for a touchdown with 3:15 left. Mangini essentially put the blame on his quarterback just for the second pick, when he threw into double coverage to Jerricho Cotchery and Ross made the interception at the 2-yard line.

How much of Sunday's loss to the Giants is pinned on Pennington? None, if you ask fellow captain Laveranues Coles

"Point the finger at me," he said. "Anytime that something is not right with the offense, it is my fault. Anytime things aren't going well and we aren't clicking, it is on Laveranues Coles."

While Pennington is getting most of the attention because of his struggles to run the offense -- he only threw for one touchdown, a 16-yard pass to Brad Smith -- there is plenty of blame to go around on both sides of the ball.

The much-maligned offensive line did a solid job protecting Pennington, who was sacked just once by a defense that tied an NFL record with 12 against the Eagles a week earlier. But the run blocking was almost non-existent.

And speaking of the running game, whatever happened to Thomas Jones? Is he somewhere hanging out with Justin McCareins? Jones was brought in to be the feature back, not Kevan Jones/Derrick Blaylock revisted. On Sunday, he had just 13 carries for 36 yards. And for a second straight week, he had very few touches in the second half, carrying the ball three times for 8 yards.

This isn't a knock on Jones as much as it is of the offensive line and the play-calling.

"Most feature backs in this league get the ball 20-25 times a game," said Jones, who rushed for nearly 100 yards in the second half in the Jets lone win of the year against the Dolphins in Week 3. "By getting the ball that many times, you can get a feel for what the defense is doing and how the offense is blocking. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to do that the last couple of weeks."

Defensively, the Jets looked stout at times and completely lost other times. Kerry Rhodes stripped Brandon Jacobs for an 11-yard touchdown and Jonathan Vilma intercepted Eli Manning at the end of the first half, a play that led to Mike Nugent's 47-yard field goal to put the Jets in front, 17-7, at the half.

But the Jets gave up 277 yards in the second half, including 113 on the ground, further fueling the notion Mangini's defense can never stop a quality running game.

The defensive line and the linebackers were terrible -- barely pressuring Manning, recording no sacks, and allowing the Giants to run at will. Just in case things couldn't get any worse defensively, Plaxico Burress posterized Andre Dyson, who stiff-arming the hapless cornerback en route to a 53-yard fourth-quarter touchdown. "If there was a magic cure, I would be the first to let you know," Rhodes said. "We can always talk about how we need to be more consistent, but until we do it, it is going to be the same thing every week."

If there's a positive to be had, Leon Washington had his second 98-yard kickoff return of the season.

The Jets are 1-4, the only team worse in the AFC is the 0-5 Dolphins, and are dangerously close to playing meaningless games before it actually feels like fall around here.

"There's not one player or coach that I don't have complete faith in," Mangini said. "If that were the case, they wouldn't be here. I like the way that we approach things. I believe in the way that we approach things and the work ethic that comes with this group of guys, the organization and the coaching staff. That's how problems are solved is by recognizing them, correcting them, and applying those corrections and the answer likes within the room."

Dylan Butler is a regular contributor to SNY.tv.

There is no way Mangini sticks with Chad for another full game against Philadelphia if he struggles again. We will see Kellen Clemens Sunday if Chad struggles. Just my opinion, and hopefull opinion, but that is what I truely believe. If Chad struggles Sunday, he will not play the entire game. I think Mangini is giving him his third and final chance.

"Everybody is accountable, and that's what you're looking for from a team," Mangini said. "Each person is accountable. Players and coaches are accountable. Everybody can do things better and everybody should be disappointed."
Sounds more to me like everyone is accountable except Chad Pennington.

There is no way Mangini sticks with Chad for another full game against Philadelphia if he struggles again. We will see Kellen Clemens Sunday if Chad struggles. Just my opinion, and hopefull opinion, but that is what I truely believe. If Chad struggles Sunday, he will not play the entire game. I think Mangini is giving him his third and final chance.

The problem with that is the Eagles are a blitz crazy team, and if Clemens comes in with a huge deficit it could get real ugly. he needs to be playing under better circumstances than that if he takes over for Pennington.

The problem with that is the Eagles are a blitz crazy team, and if Clemens comes in with a huge deficit it could get real ugly. he needs to be playing under better circumstances than that if he takes over for Pennington.

so was Baltimore and so were the Giants..there are no easy rides at this point in any NFL season-maybe the last game of a season (like Oakland last year when we saw a team that had quit). I agree Mangini is starting to piss me off too-I want a new QB-at least...and I also want to see guys like Harris and maybe Drew Coleman starting-and where's David Bowens been?

Mangini said in his last press conf. that Chad is as accountable as the rest of them. I`m guessing right now the press is calling for Chad`s job to be changed ,"When" the press starts questioning Mangini`s ability on a daily basis and starts talking about maybe he needs to go ,thats when K.C. will get the call.. IMHO

What is Mangini thinking??? He will start Chad and we will lose again.JMO

3 strikes and your out Chad ,and you are up to bat against the Eagles

Here comes the 0-2 Pitch!!!.............................. Swing Batta Swing

3 strikes & he`s out ? we`ll we are 1 -4 so he should be out already and Miami may be the only team worse then us in the NFL.....

What is Mangini thinking??? He will start Chad and we will lose again.JMO

3 strikes and your out Chad ,and you are up to bat against the Eagles

Here comes the 0-2 Pitch!!!.............................. Swing Batta Swing

Tom Rock in the articles thread today thinks Chad has a half of football left to prove himself and if not it'll be Clemens in the 2nd half-so let's go sh!tty Jets defense do your worst-again...we want a change at QB-maybe YOUR side of the ball will decide to start playing better

Tom Rock in the articles thread today thinks Chad has a half of football left to prove himself and if not it'll be Clemens in the 2nd half-so let's go sh!tty Jets defense do your worst-again...we want a change at QB-maybe YOUR side of the ball will decide to start playing better

All you guys & girls rooting for the team to continue to play Shi++* so we can put Clemens all S**k ,yea I`d like to see KC get a shot to ,when it happens ,but I`m sure not gonna root for my team to lose so it can happen sooner ,thats just plain stupid`

All you guys & girls rooting for the team to continue to play Shi++* so we can put Clemens all S**k ,yea I`d like to see KC get a shot to ,when it happens ,but I`m sure not gonna root for my team to lose so it can happen sooner ,thats just plain stupid`

I agree with you jj-I am and have always been a big Chad supporter and have felt exactly like you do in this post-the thing is I'm a Jets fan first and foremost and want what's best for the team I love-which at this point isn't the way Chad Pennington or our defense is playing football-I rooted against the Jets ONCE in my life when all the people all over the boards convinced me that Reggie Bush was the 2nd coming of The Messiah-I was miserable-and swore I'd never do that again-and never will

My fear is that Pennington will play good enough to just lose the game. If that happens, we will see no changes.

My fear is that Pennington will play good enough to just lose the game. If that happens, we will see no changes.

I am so sick of "coachspeak" and Mangini, I am sorry to say, is falling into the same line of morons that have been coaching since the beginning of football. I can really imagine him saying:

"Chad gives us our best chance to lose. We are looking for consistency."

I am so sick of "coachspeak" and Mangini, I am sorry to say, is falling into the same line of morons that have been coaching since the beginning of football. I can really imagine him saying:

Agreed,

I just think that if we're not going to go anywhere this year, we need to know what KC can do. If he is not the QB of the future, then maybe we should start to look into the direction of a QB in the draft.

Mangini said in his last press conf. that Chad is as accountable as the rest of them. I`m guessing right now the press is calling for Chad`s job to be changed ,"When" the press starts questioning Mangini`s ability on a daily basis and starts talking about maybe he needs to go ,thats when K.C. will get the call.. IMHO

The thing i like about mangini is that he doesn't care about the press. The press will not sway this decision, Mangini has proved in the past that he is willing to make changes. I fully expect him to make the change when the time is right.

I still got the faith. :)

The thing i like about mangini is that he doesn't care about the press. The press will not sway this decision, Mangini has proved in the past that he is willing to make changes. I fully expect him to make the change when the time is right.

I still got the faith. :)

Thats BS... if the press makes him feel like he is losing job security he will make the switch... count on it...

I don't hate him for this. I complained last year when everybody was so excited about every quote the guy threw out there. He basically says what he's supposed to say. You can't read anything into what he says. He has also built a team that's the same one. Not one guy gets out of line and people think Coles is some kind of crazy non-comformist for saying camp is tough. Still an improvement over Herm.

I've always stood behind Chad but I do think it is time for a change. I'm not saying that I blame what is going on with this team on Chad though. His interceptions have been disgusting the last couple of weeks for sure. It seems like every time Chad and the offense put something together, the Defense forgets how to tackle (not that they tackle well to begin with). This whole team leaves a lot to be desired with the exception of a few individual performances. They need a Nose Tackle, some depth at D-Line, a true Pass Rusher at OLB, a LG and a RT before they can even think of being a true contender.

The point is that at 1-4 we might as well see what we have in Clemens and see if he can provide a spark to salvage the little chance that is left this year. Clemens definitely has a better arm, so maybe Schotty will actually call more than one or two downfield pass plays. He was drafted to hopefully be the QB within a few years. What better time to see what he has than now?

I dont think Woody has given Mangini complete control and decision making power over this team, he doesnt have the HCing clout to get that power yet. He named Penny as the starter right off the bat this spring, but was it really his decision to make? IDK. All I know is these INTs need to stop, we were good in the give-away/take-away stat in recent years and it kept us in close games. Now its one of the reasons we lose.

What Mangini is doing is what any logical coach would do. He's treating him like the veteran and team leader that he is and is saying that this is his last shot to work out of the jam he got himself in. If it were a veteran hasn't been the starter for the past 5 seasons, and the face of what the Jets are then he would've canned him by now. Mangini knows once KC is put in, theres no turning back guys. He is covering himself because if KC fails and looks terrible, there's no way he's going to have the confidence from Chad that he's their guy. As much as 1/2 of JN wants the change (I for one would like it), we've gotta respect the thinking of Mangini. This isn't Madden guys, we can't just dump Chad to the side and think that in a worst case scenerio Chad still wants in or won't feel wanted on the team.

I dont think Woody has given Mangini complete control and decision making power over this team, he doesnt have the HCing clout to get that power yet. He named Penny as the starter right off the bat this spring, but was it really his decision to make? IDK. All I know is these INTs need to stop, we were good in the give-away/take-away stat in recent years and it kept us in close games. Now its one of the reasons we lose.

I am 100% sure that Woody has zERO input in who starts. The only place Woody might hamper the team is if he demands payroll be kept lower, but he's no Steinbrenner saying who to cut and who to play.

I think his decision to announce CP as the starting QB going into tc was the right decision, and no one told him what to do.

Chad won comeback player of the year, set personal records, and the team made the playoffs. it was the right call at the time.

Archived