Panthers DT Kris Jenkins is heading to the NYJ for a 3rd & 5th(merged 2x)

BP

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Name the 3 best 3-4 NT's in the league.

Now look up what defensive scheme they played in - exclusively - before their current teams drafted them to convert to a 3-4 NT. Or, in the case of SD, go check how many men were used on their DL prior to 2004 (read: for the years 1998-2003).

Just because DRob was unsuccessful making the switch doesn't make it some insurmountable task. DRob was unsuccessful more b/c his strength is as a penetrator not a space-eater. Hell, he wasn't even much of a run-stopper on a FOUR man line with a true NT playing right next to him and two pro-bowl DE's.

I'd like to hear a concrete reason why anyone thinks Jenkins can't handle the 3-4.

Truth is, he's probably more-suited to it than the system he's been playing in for his whole career. And even if we sweated him down to 335, how is that not big enough for a NT, even at 6'4?

How the hell can you be given a concrete reason ? Give me a concrete reason why he CAN make the switch? I'm mearly hoping he can. I never said he couldn't if you read my initial post. We all hoped D'Rob could but guess what ? He couldn't. I said all along he has the size to do it. Will he? Time will tell.

How the hell can you be given a concrete reason ? Give me a concrete reason why he CAN make the switch? I'm mearly hoping he can. I never said he couldn't if you read my initial post. We all hoped D'Rob could but guess what ? He couldn't. I said all along he has the size to do it. Will he? Time will tell.

You've answered your ow question. He has the size and physical tools to do it. Something D-Rob did not.

He's also been a damn good NT in the 4-3 scheme and does command double blocking. I think he'll be a damn good 3-4 Nose TBH.

You've answered your ow question. He has the size and physical tools to do it. Something D-Rob did not.

He's also been a damn good NT in the 4-3 scheme and does command double blocking. I think he'll be a damn good 3-4 Nose TBH.

Obviously I hope you're right. :sign0098:

My problem with this trade it that we're giving up 2 potentially valuable draft picks. Tangini so far have been decent at drafting, in fact that's been their strength since taking over. I'll admit I love the player we're getting in return but I just hope we aren't missing out drafting any potential studs because of this deal.

Here is a concrete reason why he can make the switch. Actually here's more than one:

- He has the size requisite for the position.

- He has routinely faced double-teams.

- He is a space-eater and a run-stopper.

- He is more talented than the guy who some still claim was "average maybe" at the position.

- He is a pro-bowl DT, and not because he was a Sapp-like penetrator getting double-digit sacks.

This isn't remotely as complicated/risky as converting a DE to OLB, though people seem to have no problem drafting a college DE with a high first round pick.

My problem with this trade it that we're giving up 2 potentially valuable draft picks. Tangini so far have been decent at drafting, in fact that's been their strength since taking over. I'll admit I love the player we're getting in return but I just hope we aren't missing out drafting any potential studs because of this deal.

We are GETTING a stud because of this deal. Also it means we're not burning that 3rd round pick on a NT prospect with at least a 50% bust-factor (right around where Okam/Rubin are expected to be drafted at this point).

Look at it this way: we used a 5th round pick to move up a few slots in round 3. In round 3 we selected pro-bowl DT Kris Jenkins.

Happy now? I am.

Plus he's under contract already through 2009. I'd redo his deal, but really there's no rush until after the season's over (or at least until after the big wave of FA is over). Truth is, if we give him a new 5-year deal it's really a 3-year extension.

Cap # for the Jets is $3M in 2008 and $3.7M in 2009 as it stands. Compare that to DRob, who's cap # in 2008 alone is over $11M.

Good to see they addressed the NT position with somebody who is capable of playing it at a high level. A 3rd and 5th for Jenkins has the potential to be a massive steal for the Jets.

Now recoup that 3rd rd pick and we're really talking.

Pennigton to for a 3rd is sounding awesome right now:)

Think of it this way of the teams who would call up for Chad. Atlanta-They trade their 3rd for Penningotn, and we would have a better 3rd round pick, and Tangini would look like freaken genuises. Minnesota- Wel we wouldn't have a better 3rd round pick than the one we had, but we would still have a pick. Miami- Way better 3rd round pick than what we would have.

I can't think of any other teams inerested.

But a 3rd for Pennington is will defineately be accepted.

Pennigton to for a 3rd is sounding awesome right now:)

Think of it this way of the teams who would call up for Chad. Atlanta-They trade their 3rd for Penningotn, and we would have a better 3rd round pick, and Tangini would look like freaken genuises. Minnesota- Wel we wouldn't have a better 3rd round pick than the one we had, but we would still have a pick. Miami- Way better 3rd round pick than what we would have.

I can't think of any other teams inerested.

But a 3rd for Pennington is will defineately be accepted.

I still think we're likely to keep Pennington until we have a replacement already on the roster, meaning it might be after the draft. But in addition to the teams you listed (though I think Atl will go QB with the #3 pick), other possibilities are SF, Baltimore, and KC.

We are GETTING a stud because of this deal. Also it means we're not burning that 3rd round pick on a NT prospect with at least a 50% bust-factor (right around where Okam/Rubin are expected to be drafted at this point).

Look at it this way: we used a 5th round pick to move up a few slots in round 3. In round 3 we selected pro-bowl DT Kris Jenkins.

Happy now? I am.

Plus he's under contract already through 2009. I'd redo his deal, but really there's no rush until after the season's over (or at least until after the big wave of FA is over). Truth is, if we give him a new 5-year deal it's really a 3-year extension.

Cap # for the Jets is $3M in 2008 and $3.7M in 2009 as it stands. Compare that to DRob, who's cap # in 2008 alone is over $11M.

Agree 100%

Plus the Jets will probably recoupe the pick in the 09 draft for whatever they got for Vilma.

I would rather have the pick this year, but all in all I love the deal.

Don't get your little panties in a bunch there old Glenn. If you were here more often than your <1 post per day you'd know where we're coming from on this. Just putting a 360 lb. POS in at NT does not make him a NT. Btw he's listed as 335 lbs. on 3 different sites but I suppose you know more about that than they do. If weight was the answer than Pouha would have started over D'Rob. Like I said in my post if you read it closely, he DOES have the size but he's never actually played a NT in a 3/4. I mearly stated facts. Something you should try to grasp the concept of. :P

You have no idea what I know..I don't post 24 hours a day so that makes me less knowledgable..really..Unfornuatly I have to work sometimes. Thre last time KJ weighed 335 was his rookie year,,maybe..Kj is a pro bowler..pouha is not..Its not a huge jump from 3 technique to 0 technique..plus I don't wear panties and I'm sort of old (51) show some respect young blood.

You have no idea what I know..I don't post 24 hours a day so that makes me less knowledgable..really..Unfornuatly I have to work sometimes. Thre last time KJ weighed 335 was his rookie year,,maybe..Kj is a pro bowler..pouha is not..Its not a huge jump from 3 technique to 0 technique..plus I don't wear panties and I'm sort of old (51) show some respect young blood.

I guess you don't know squat cauuuuse I's be older than YOU youngen. :biggrin:

Are both these draft picks in the 2008 Draft?

This is a great move by the Jets. FINALLY we have somewhat of a 34 Defense in a real Nose Tackle. Thank god. Now we must see what we can get, if anything, for Dewayne Robertson. Maybe the Broncos will take him and give us back either the 3rd or 5th that we just gave up.

I think they did ok in getting Jenkins.

I think alot will depend on Jenkins. If he is motivated and can keep his weight under 400 lbs then the Jets will have got themselves a nice player who should keep the OL off Harris and Barton.

I'm not going to say this guy is going to play at a Pro Bowl level especially since he had never played on the nose before. It is going to be a transition for him. He is known as a run stuffer though so it looks like the addresses the issue for now.

Happy now? I am.

I thought it was brutally cold today.

Agree with your sentiments. The Jets are working inside out, which you need to do to build a football team.

But, this also puts them in a "win now" mode. This is not a developmental squad that is "building" toward something.

Moves that had to be made, and smart moves

Agree with your sentiments. The Jets are working inside out, which you need to do to build a football team.

But, this also puts them in a "win now" mode. This is not a developmental squad that is "building" toward something.

I think they know that we are not nearly as bad and as far from being a winning team as some fans think. We have a pretty decent secondary, our LB's with Harris are pretty good as well (interesting to see how they do now with Jenkins in front), Our OL seems to have resolutions available in FA, which all allows up to take skill position BAP's in the draft. OLB's with pass rushing abilities, WR's, RB's, CB's. It looks to me this is the goal and quite frankly I like the way they are going about reaching it.

Two years is enough for building. At some point you need to make the leap to contending.

Still kind of a big ? at QB for a contender though. And they'd still need a RT & could use a 2nd corner and another WR. But it's not even March yet, so there's still lots of time in FA and a whole draft with two very high picks coming up.

So yes, I would agree they're entering the "win now" mode. Unless you're gutting the team to clear cap space or introducing totally new schemes, or suffer a litany of injuries in a year, ideally we should always BE in "win now" mode. The draft after round 1 should be to find guys who step in next year so you can let overpriced vets go & stay under the cap without taking a big step backwards talent-wise.

All hail the "win now" mode.

Be the ball, Danny. Be the ball.

I like the moves so far... Please fill all the holes in free agency so when the draft comes up... we can take the best availiable player.

Two years is enough for building. At some point you need to make the leap to contending.

Still kind of a big ? at QB for a contender though. And they'd still need a RT & could use a 2nd corner and another WR. But it's not even March yet, so there's still lots of time in FA and a whole draft with two very high picks coming up.

So yes, I would agree they're entering the "win now" mode. Unless you're gutting the team to clear cap space or introducing totally new schemes, or suffer a litany of injuries in a year, ideally we should always BE in "win now" mode. The draft after round 1 should be to find guys who step in next year so you can let overpriced vets go & stay under the cap without taking a big step backwards talent-wise.

All hail the "win now" mode.

Be the ball, Danny. Be the ball.

Repeat that statement we should always be in WIN NOW MODE!

If you are to believe the three year rule for head coaches (or four year rule I forget) then they have to be in a win now mode. This could be a make or break year for Tangini, you either bounce back and get us into the playoffs, or you revert back to a sub .500 top 7 pick team. Hoping for the former, but that largely depends upon the QB; although many people don't like to hear that.

If the moves we are hearing today (Jenkins, Faneca, etc.) pan out today that makes us far better than we were last season even before the draft. Significant upgrades at two spots that are key to our success. Believe it or not, Faneca not only brings stability to a guard position, but he will help Brick and Mangold in a variety of ways, something we were obviously lacking when Kendall left us last season. I am not thrilled about having to dump money at Faneca's door, but they have to in order to make up for last season's o-line blunder.

so my wife asks me "who is this guy Kris Jenkins we just got?" I tell her, ya know how every week we watch the Jets and see these gigantic linemen on the other teams and you always ask me "WHY don't WE have any big fat guys like that?" I told her now we do

Archived