Is This the Most Optimistic You Have Ever Been As a Jets Fan ?

Smizzy

Not really, but it is amazing to see Brett Favre as a Jet, it almost seems like this is not supposed to be happening.

I'm not sure if it has more to do with Favre being in grained in my head as a Packer, or if it's me not being used to haveing royalty on our team.

I guess it's alittle of both, maybe after seeing Brett in camp and pre-season it will sink in and my optimism will go through the roof.

We had a great off season and another solid draft. Getting rid of pennington was a huge bonus...adding Farve? Icing on the cake.

I'm thrilled.

it has to be right up there with the two most recent years we got close-the year after the Pittsburgh game and the year after we made the AFC Championship game

I think heading into 1999 was better than this...That team was SB ready and in most parts favored to get there

Agree. I know we bust on vinny a lot. But we were one half away from going to the super bowl. and I really think one ill gotten gust of wind on our kick off that started it. The energy and excitement feel the same. I'm not glad we got rid of Chad though. I would have liked to keep him only because when we win a ring, he could have one also.

Is it possible for a Jets fan to be optimistic ? Dont get me wrong I am really happy with the off season moves, and getting Farve was incredible, but I still have this overwhelming feeling that something bad is going to happen. As a Jets fan you cant allow yourself to dream to big...it always comes back to bite you. I love my team...but unfortunately thats the deal

I think heading into 1999 was better than this...That team was SB ready and in most parts favored to get there

I agree, that's exactly how I feel.

Definitely, I was more optimistic heading into 1999.... and even some years in the early 80s believe it or not... I was naive then though :)

Yes, the Jets were THE favorites in 1999. This season, we are not favored to win our division. I want to see this team in action, when it counts before any bold predictions are made.

In 1999 the Jets came off the best season since Namath's Super Bowl. We had better recievers, a future HOF running back, and a proven, championship-caliber coach.

Yes.

I have been a fan since 1966. Even before the 1968 season, I didn't realize the Jets defense was going to be as good as it was. I knew the offense was great. But then Gerry Philben became an All Pro and an untouted John Elliot exploded in a short but dominating career and the Jets were complete.

In 1999, I wasn't as optimistic as most fans (and surprisingly, the national media). I was skeptical that Vinny could play like that two years in a row. And, of course, we didn't get a chance to find out.

I love every off season move the Jets made. D'Brick has bulked up a little and looks like it is all sinking in for a break out year. I think Keller will have a huge impact as a rookie. Maybe Lowery too. Gholston just has to concentrate on pass rushing for now. It will take some time for him to become a complete OLB. I am pleasantly surprised by the sudden quality of depth at WR and CB, two units I was afraid we would be light in. Favre falling from Heaven is the final piece. That, of course, was complete luck, but give Mr. T credit for jumping on the opportunity and making it happen.

The talent is here. In spades. All we need is for the coaching to step up and use it properly. I have my doubts about both Sutton, and to a lesser degree, Shotty. I think Mangini is ready to step in where and when he has to during the season and make changes in the off-season if he has too.

I am pumped.

It has to be between this year and the 1999 season. With Elway retiring everyone viewed us a Super Bowl favorites before Vinny went for a fumble and tore his ACL in the first half of the first game of the season, right in front of my eyes. That was a horrible sight. That was more "We're going to the Super Bowl for sure!" while this is "Hey, we have a shot!".

For me, Yes. In '99 I hardly knew the Jets existed... now I'm actually excited for the games. For once I actually CARE about football!

Still accepting applications for a football tutor. Anyone interested??? :deshade:

For me, Yes. In '99 I hardly knew the Jets existed... now I'm actually excited for the games. For once I actually CARE about football!

Still accepting applications for a football tutor. Anyone interested??? :deshade:

I'll meet you at your house an hour before Tabor gets off work everyday for 3 weeks. I'm sure I can teach you something in that time span.

It might be the pre-season...but I'm in mid -season form baby!

It has to be between this year and the 1999 season. With Elway retiring everyone viewed us a Super Bowl favorites before Vinny went for a fumble and tore his ACL in the first half of the first game of the season, right in front of my eyes. That was a horrible sight. That was more "We're going to the Super Bowl for sure!" while this is "Hey, we have a shot!".

Who fumbled away our superbowl-favored season? The guy who got 1 yard per carry in the championship game.

But I'd still have to say in August of 1999 I expected more than this year. Not that I don't think this team can make serious noise or better. But I don't expect it. In 1999 I expected us to be very good at worst. Or like a Chargers fan would feel today if Peyton Manning & Tom Brady both retired after the 2007 season.

No. Im not overly optimistic this year. Sure we made a lot of good moves, but Im not sure how its going to work out. I need to see them play before I can get my hopes up.

Is this the most excited I've been? Since 99, yes. But it can still come crashing down on us.

Thanks guys! There are two positions open, Starter and Back-Up. I think I'll have to go with Smizzy as the starter, he's a little older, wiser and has more tattoos. When I wear him out (with all my inane questions), I'll call you 124! :cheergal:

Me! Me! Me! ;)

I'll meet you at your house an hour before Tabor gets off work everyday for 3 weeks. I'm sure I can teach you something in that time span.

It might be the pre-season...but I'm in mid -season form baby!

Definitely, I was more optimistic heading into 1999.... and even some years in the early 80s believe it or not... I was naive then though :)

Me too. In 1999 I was more optimistic about that season because we were so close the year before. Same goes with some of the seasons in the 80's.

I agree with most... not as much as 1999, but close.

More than optimistic, I am very excited. Win, lose or draw it is a good year to be a Jet fan. The media is going to be hyped, the games interesting and the Jets the talk of the town.

Only thing that could make it better would be the big show, but man it is going to be fun going to the games.

I wonder if all those people who gave up their tickets this year are just kicking themselves up and down the field?

BZ

Curtis Martin fumbled, and Vinny Ruptured his achilles tendon trying to recover it.

Well this has definitely got to be one of the best offseasons the Jets have ever had. I was still pretty young in 99 so I don't remember that too well, although I do remember how awful it was when Vinny went down in week 1.

I'm very excited, and I think the team has a great chance of making the playoffs. I also think Mangini and Tannenbaum are a great duo and really know what they are doing.

Yeah it isn't even close. Right now the Jets are media darlings but nobody is calling them a 12 win team at this point in time.

In 1999 they brought the same team back that was in the Championship game. We were all feeling pretty good before the opener. Didn't last long though.

Yeah it isn't even close. Right now the Jets are media darlings but nobody is calling them a 12 win team at this point in time.

In 1999 they brought the same team back that was in the Championship game. We were all feeling pretty good before the opener. Didn't last long though.

I am, the jets will win 12 games this year.

Archived