Leonhard expected to sign with jets right when free agency opens. linkshown

Jetkid94

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3465

All indications" are that the Jets will sign S Jim Leonhard once free agency opens.

Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome admitted the team will lose him. Rex Ryan will be happy to pay a premium for a try-hard player who knows the defense and can help him implement his system in the secondary.

Potentially a good addition, but I'm not completely sold on him. I hope we don't overpay.

Competition between him and Elam (who I think should be a bench player anyway, especially with his big-play-making ability, but lack of good consistency as FS) might prove to be beneficial. I'm not, nor should anyone, be sold on anyone at this point.

I think Scott & Leonhard are our only additions this offseason, and we address the CB and WR, and possibly RG, spots in the Draft

Potentially a good addition, but I'm not completely sold on him. I hope we don't overpay.

If Rex wants then I gotta support it. Lets just hope he brings the same game to NY which has proven to be difficult in the past.

Rumors are flying here. I feel like March 1st we are going to have a whole new team.

Agreed, although he made plays last year it was his contract year.

it was like his first real season give a chance in the nfl. the bills destroyed him and ryan picked him up off the street.

if anything hes gonna play every season like its his last, knowing he almost was knocked out of the league because the bills didnt execute him well at all.

If Rex wants then I gotta support it. Lets just hope he brings the same game to NY which has proven to be difficult in the past.

Rumors are flying here. I feel like March 1st we are going to have a whole new team.

Leonhard is a young player with some upside, but he still has much to prove. He was a failure in Buffalo and he doesn't have great size. He played well as a role player last year and made a few plays in key spots.

He reminds me of Kenyon Coleman in some respects and his situation when we signed him. He's not going to blow you away, but he could be a solid starter and role player.

Leonhard is a young player with some upside, but he still has much to prove. He was a failure in Buffalo and he doesn't have great size. He played well as a role player last year and made a few plays in key spots.

He reminds me of Kenyon Coleman in some respects and his situation when we signed him. He's not going to blow you away, but he could be a solid starter and role player.

Yep, also helps having Ed Reed on the other side, Rhodes has to show up this year.

Which is all we really need.

He'll be an upgrade over Smith/Elam, and a solid starter. We don't need a great safety there, we just need someone who's not a liability. That's good enough for me.

I believe in Rex. If Rex would sign Jon McGraw, I would still believe in it.

Of course, we believed in herm and his "player-friendly style", and Mangini,"the drill sargent and his ONE defense, why not Rex, it's all we got!

That's what we do, we believe during the offseason. Remember Favre-mania!!! Now listen to him "well, when you're forty, you still think you could play like your twenty".....yeah, no s$#t!!!

I remember signing At water, ohh yeah, we were gonna knock heads off, did he get a tackle that year?

I'm not saying this kid won't be solid, but does anyone get the feeling that anyone who wore a Ravens uni, we want? lol

Same attitude about the Pats three years ago. "Who? Man-who?, f%$k it he worked for the Patriots, sign him, press conference. We're a 3-4 team now, we're the Patriots, now.

Now we want to be the Ravens!

hahaha and I'm crazy. These dudes weren't on our radar 6 months ago, Jim Leonhard?

Oh, we're set now! LOL

Leonhard is a solid player. SS is a critical position in Ryan's "46" hybrid defense, really another LB that plays close to the LOS. He's a physical player and was the third leading tackler on the Ravens in '08, behing Lewis and Scott, and ahead of Suggs.

His presence will allow Ryan to move Rhodes to the FS position full-time, the same "centerfield" position Ed Reed plays and basically make him more of a full-time ball hawk in the secondary.

This is a great signing if we get him.

Anyone remember watching the Dolphins Ravens playoff game?

Leonhard was making plays all over the place and I specifically remember the CBS commentators at the time talking about how Rex Ryan was the guy who picked Leonhard out and recomended signing him. Ryan likes him. So do I.

I'm not saying this kid won't be solid, but does anyone get the feeling that anyone who wore a Ravens uni, we want? lol

Same attitude about the Pats three years ago. "Who? Man-who?, f%$k it he worked for the Patriots, sign him, press conference. We're a 3-4 team now, we're the Patriots, now.

That's the way it's always going to be, though. You hire a coach because you believe in him. The coach, in turn, probably believes in the last group of players he coached. The Jets have had a glaring hole at the safety position for a long time and Baltimore has a safety entering free agency... Sounds like a match.

By all accounts, Ryan gave this kid his career. I expect him to want to come here, and that we won't have to break the bank on him to get it done.

My bigger concern in this regard is the two ILB's. Each of them will cost a lot more money. Ray Lewis is at the end of his career, and I hope Rex and the Jets recognize that. Bart Scott looks to be the guy, but will he still be the guy when he's not on the field with Suggs, Lewis, and Reed? That's the scarier call in my estimation.

THis signing sounds like...........

DAMIEN ROBINSON

Yup. They're exactly the same. And I say that completely without sarcasm. It's a new coach bringing one of his players along to help implement his system.

The hope is that Ryan's a better coach (and judge of talent) than Herm.

Competition between him and Elam (who I think should be a bench player anyway, especially with his big-play-making ability, but lack of good consistency as FS) might prove to be beneficial. I'm not, nor should anyone, be sold on anyone at this point.

I think Scott & Leonhard are our only additions this offseason, and we address the CB and WR, and possibly RG, spots in the Draft

I dont agree with that. If we can get an established CB in free agency we should do so. I wouldnt want to dedicated an entire half of the field to a rookie at this time.

If we get a LB, FS and CB and there all solid players then in round 1 we can get a receiver.

if we only get a LB and FS and then a decent CB we should go with a CB in round 1

You don't have to go by need in the draft. Even if we don't grab a LB, FS or CB in free agency, doesn't mean we can't go WR. I would personally argue that a game-changing WR would be our biggest need, but that doesn't matter here.

You have to go BPA or else you run the risk of reaching for a player. If WR is the BPA at #17 than you take him, if CB is than you take him etc. Of course there are some situations where you don't go BPA, like Center or LT for us, but you get the idea.

The point is that if WR is by far the BPA at 17, even if we don't address ILB or FS in free agency, we should still go WR.

Also, I firmly feel that we already have a plethora of #2 and #3 type receivers, that taking anything but the elite WR prospects would be a waste. While there are plenty of Safety, CB and ILB prospects in the later rounds that could be upgrades over what we currently have.

Am I the only one not convinced about the Great White Hope? He made some plays last year, but Elam made some plays here and nobody wants to start him every week. I think we need to draft a SS, one with some real upside, and use FA money on a CB or ILB.

He's a solid rotation player, but we're going to give way too much money to a role player/rotational guy.

Am I the only one not convinced about the Great White Hope? He made some plays last year, but Elam made some plays here and nobody wants to start him every week. I think we need to draft a SS, one with some real upside, and use FA money on a CB or ILB.

He's a solid rotation player, but we're going to give way too much money to a role player/rotational guy.

He is 1/16 black.

Archived