Jets closing in on deal with All-Pro center Nick Mangold

SoFlaJets

The next of the Jets’ young starters to sign a long-term deal with the team? It looks to be Nick Mangold.

The Jets and the All-Pro center are closing in on a long-term contract extension that could be announced as early as tomorrow or Tuesday, according to a person with direct knowledge of the negotiations.

That person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for the team or Mangold.

Terms of the deal are still being finalized, but it is expected to be a mega-deal topping the five-year, $37.5 million contract St.Louis' Jason Brown -- the league's highest-paid center -- signed last year.

The Jets have been locked in a contract impasse with cornerback Darrelle Revis for more than six months, and he has held out of training camp for 22 days. Before last week’s media blackout, both sides made clear their frustration with the progress of negotiations. Perhaps as proof they are willing to lock up their talented young core, though, the Jets have moved on to Mangold.

Mangold, who is scheduled to make $3.3 million in the final year of his rookie deal, spoke openly about his desire for a new contract in the offseason, but he elected to attend both mini-camp and training camp. The signing will no doubt make a big splash on HBO’s “Hard Knocks,” the third episode of which airs on Wednesday.

An internet report today said Revis and the Jets will announce a new deal this week, perhaps on Wednesday. It looks like that player will be Mangold instead.

The Jets signed left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson to a long-term extension in July.

I considered him more important for the long term success to begin with. A center touches the ball on every play on offense, and his play directly impacts everyone else. CBs and WRs are decidedly less important, no matter how great they are. I'd want Revis locked up long term, but not at the cost of guys like Mangold and Brick.

Conspiracy theory? OK, conspiracy theory: Revis' agents want the news that his contract is done out ASAP so it's alone on the back pages on a Monday morning and they look like studs while at the same time rubbing Woody's and Tannenbaum's face in it. Tannenbaum and Woody retort by releasing news that they have Mangold's deal done FIRST, thus taking some steam out of Shwartz and Feinsod's sails, and makes them look like the benevolent gladhanders they are.

I considered him more important for the long term success to begin with. A center touches the ball on every play on offense, and his play directly impacts everyone else. CBs and WRs are decidedly less important, no matter how great they are. I'd want Revis locked up long term, but not at the cost of guys like Mangold and Brick.

Exactly. Imo, logic would say the best CB shouldn't make as much money as the best WR, let alone more.

I would've signed Mangold long before I signed Brick. Be very interesting to see the structure of this deal.

I would too, but it depends on who says "yes" first, Slats.

Revis would have been re-signed long ago if he said "yes."

Both DBrick's and Mangold's deal are under the radar so we don't know how long they were in negotiation before announced.

It's pretty obvious that money isn't the issue from the Jets POV. They're willing to extend within the funky rules of this interim CBA period.

I would've signed Mangold long before I signed Brick. Be very interesting to see the structure of this deal.

I'm just glad to see him getting signed. If there is a season next year, it will be under a new CBA where Mangold will be a UFA. There may or may not be a franchise tag, leaving a reasonable possibility that they'll just flat-out lose him after this year in the absence of an extension.

The next of the Jets’ young starters to sign a long-term deal with the team? It looks to be Nick Mangold.

The Jets and the All-Pro center are closing in on a long-term contract extension that could be announced as early as tomorrow or Tuesday, according to a person with direct knowledge of the negotiations.

That person requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak for the team or Mangold.

Terms of the deal are still being finalized, but it is expected to be a mega-deal topping the five-year, $37.5 million contract St.Louis' Jason Brown -- the league's highest-paid center -- signed last year.

The Jets have been locked in a contract impasse with cornerback Darrelle Revis for more than six months, and he has held out of training camp for 22 days. Before last week’s media blackout, both sides made clear their frustration with the progress of negotiations. Perhaps as proof they are willing to lock up their talented young core, though, the Jets have moved on to Mangold.

Mangold, who is scheduled to make $3.3 million in the final year of his rookie deal, spoke openly about his desire for a new contract in the offseason, but he elected to attend both mini-camp and training camp. The signing will no doubt make a big splash on HBO’s “Hard Knocks,” the third episode of which airs on Wednesday.

An internet report today said Revis and the Jets will announce a new deal this week, perhaps on Wednesday. It looks like that player will be Mangold instead.

The Jets signed left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson to a long-term extension in July.

I love how this is written from the standpoint that it would be impossible for the Jets to reach deals with both Mangold and Revis at the same time, as if it would be too mentally taxing for anyone to engage in contract negotiations with more than one player at a time.

Was this written by Florio? Because I know it would be too mentally taxing for that jerkoff plagiarist to engage in negotiations with one player at a time.

For those who care, Mort just tweeted that he spoke to Cowlishaw and confirmed that the account wasnt hacked and that Tim sticks by his story that Revis deal will be done by the end of the week....

Should be an exciting couple days around here to say the least.

Wrong thread--But still is relevant considering the notion that it will be Mangold instead...

Could this have something to do with them having Revis' deal worked out already?

The plot thickens...

Now get me Harris! :D

Or it could be that no progress has been made w Revis, so we're taking care of Mangold first. And Harris would be near impossible to get done given his current contract and the uncapped year rules... He's gonna have to wait it out till next offseason or a new CBA.

I really, really hope this is true. Mangold is the guy I've wanted to get his new deal more than anyone else. Outside of some guys who are need to prove themselves this year (Edwards, Holmes, Cromartie), him and Harris were the top guys who could be potential FAs next year, and that's a far greater concern then guys who still have a few years left on their deal, Brick included (even though I was glad to see him signed long term).

I really, really hope this is true. Mangold is the guy I've wanted to get his new deal more than anyone else. Outside of some guys who are need to prove themselves this year (Edwards, Holmes, Cromartie), him and Harris were the top guys who could be potential FAs next year, and that's a far greater concern then guys who still have a few years left on their deal, Brick included (even though I was glad to see him signed long term).

I hope its true as well. As important as Harris and Revis are... It is even more important to have a young, stable core at OL for the long haul. LBers and CBs are both replaceable, 2 perennial pro bowl linemen at the 2 most important positions on the OL are not. We see already this defense can function without Revis, just as it did without Pace for four games last year. Imagine having to do without either Mangold or Brick... Something I'd definitely prefer not to do.

Mike Tannenbaum's "Things-to-do" list, created last Janaury:

Contract extension for D'Brickashaw Ferguson: Check.

Contract extension for Nick Mangold: Check.

New contract for Darrelle Revis: Checkmate?

The news Sunday that the New York Jets are close to a long-term extension for Mangold is a win for Mangold and a win for the Jets -- in more ways than one. Not only do they lock up one of their best players, but it bolsters the Jets' case against Revis. Now who's being unreasonable?

Obviously, the Jets are in a deal-making mode. I haven't seen the numbers on the Mangold deal, but this was a difficult contract to negotiate because of the 30 percent rule. (The rule states that, in an uncapped year, a player's salary in an extension can't increase by more than 30 percent of his previous year's pay.) If the Jets were able to clear that hurdle, satisfying Mangold, why can't it happen with Revis?

Chances are, Mangold accepted a deal with "rolling" guarantees, a la Ferguson. Revis wants no part of that kind of deal; he wants fully guaranteed money (i.e. a huge signing bonus). It's his right to ask for that, but his leverage is diminishing. Remember, he has three years left on his contract, so there's no sense of urgency for the Jets.

You know when there's a sense of urgency? If the defense gets torched by the Baltimore Ravens on opening night, that's when the leverage shifts to Revis. Is he willing to hold out that long? Is he willing to take that chance? He might have to because, barring an injury at cornerback, the Jets are showing no signs of buckling.

In the spring, the Jets were accused of being cheap, strapped for cash because of lagging PSL sales. That, some media types theorized, was holding up the deals for the "Core Four." (The fourth is David Harris, who is entering the final year of his rookie deal.) At the time, the Jets were saying they had budgeted enough money to sign all four to new deals. Not many believed them, but now they've taken care of Ferguson and Mangold.

If it were just one, you could call it a fluke. But two? Those players were willing to take the Jets' money. Why not Revis?

Cimini's latest entry. Makes a good point.

The plot continues to thicken....

Good PR move for the team if nothing else. In one fell swoop they reward the good soldier and rebuff any claims of parsimony.

They sign a perennial pro bowl center to a long term deal, too.

So:

Rebuff "cheapness"? Check

Reward team player? Check

Extend one of your best players? Check

They sign a perennial pro bowl center to a long term deal, too.

So:

Rebuff "cheapness"? Check

Reward team player? Check

Extend one of your best players? Check

Ya think maybe, just maybe Revis' demands might be a little unreasonable? B)

Good PR move for the team if nothing else. In one fell swoop they reward the good soldier and rebuff any claims of parsimony.

Absolutely. It also shows that they are getting the do-able deals done and not willing to be held hostage by MEvi$'s unwillingness to come to the table. Life and football goes on.

Archived