Movies We've Seen Thread

scanners_2-300x151.jpg

I remember Naked Lunch being all over the map, but I guess that just means it is a faithful interpretation of the book. Only Finnegan's Wake was worse.  It's not the Videodrome, it's just Videodrome?

Super abstract, yeah. You need to be in the right mood for that one. Love Videodrome, I'd put it in his top 5 for sure, though I still have a few more to go.

Super abstract, yeah. You need to be in the right mood for that one. Love Videodrome, I'd put it in his top 5 for sure, though I still have a few more to go.

Did you see the funny car one yet?  I remember wanting to see it, but I never did.  I think I read some reviews and never bothered.  That was before the internet and I lost interest before it went full video store.  Full disclosure, for some reason I always mixed Scanners up with the Martin Sheen Santeria movie the Believers.  They are probably 5-10 years apart, but I am always disappointed waiting for Martin Sheen's head to pop.  I have not seen it in at least 20 years, IIRC, the Believers is pretty good too.   That can kick you off on John Schlesinger - Marathon Man, Midnight Cowboy, Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Did you see the funny car one yet? I remember wanting to see it, but I never did. I think I read some reviews and never bothered. That was before the internet and I lost interest before it went full video store. Full disclosure, for some reason I always mixed Scanners up with the Martin Sheen Santeria movie the Believers. They are probably 5-10 years apart, but I am always disappointed waiting for Martin Sheen's head to pop. I have not seen it in at least 20 years, IIRC, the Believers is pretty good too. That can kick you off on John Schlesinger - Marathon Man, Midnight Cowboy, Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Fast Company, yeah. I think that movie is only good if you're a fan of his other stuff. The reason being that movie is such a departure from everything else he's done. There's nothing psychoanalytical about it at all, but it's interesting to see him switch it up and stretch his chops a little bit. It's a good movie, not great, certainly worth the time if you're a completist.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone seen the remake of I Spit On Your Grave? 

Definitely some ****ed up sh*t, loved it, very disturbing. 

They did a remake to that movie?  I recall watching it way before I should have as a kid and it ****ed with my head big time.  I was so confused and terrified.

Fast Company, yeah. I think that movie is only good if you're a fan of his other stuff. The reason being that movie is such a departure from everything else he's done. There's nothing psychoanalytical about it at all, but it's interesting to see him switch it up and stretch his chops a little bit. It's a good movie, not great, certainly worth the time if you're a completist.

I'm probably more a fan of the racing than the Cronenberg, but I will check it out.  I had totally forgotten about it until I checked his IMDB.

Whiplash was good.

I like how the director put it on the actors to make the narrative implicit in scenes where there wasn't much talking, but maybe a glance or grimace. Well acted. Interesting story. Good all around. Worthy of the attention it got, imo.

I'm probably more a fan of the racing than the Cronenberg, but I will check it out.  I had totally forgotten about it until I checked his IMDB.

The racing is well done. I don't think he ever tries to make pretend like it's anything more than a B-movie, so that gives the viewer some freedom to just sit back and enjoy it. I think Cronenberg has said that it was one of his favorite movies to make.

Since we've all been fellating Mad Max, please enjoy these VFX before and after pics. I think these give us more of an appreciation of the argument that Fury Road is essentially what The Road Warrior would have been had Miller filmed it in 2015.

“I’ve been joking recently about how the film has been promoted as being a live action stunt driven film - which it is,” says Jackson. “But also how there’s so little CGI in the film. The reality is that there’s 2000 VFX shots in the film. A very large number of those shots are very simple clean-ups and fixes and wire removals and painting out tire tracks from previous shots, but there are a big number of big VFX shots as well.”

O3S369b.jpgBO3UvdP.jpgk20LoHc.jpgOgYzPf8.jpgleIUZZ2.jpggW5lQ9q.jpg

Watched some NF documentaries the last 2 days, Dawg Fight and Hot Girls Wanted. Dawg Fight was a letdown, seems like a rich topic that could've been explored instead in comes off as a promotional video for Dada 5000. Hot Girls Wanted was frightening to me as the father to two young girls, one of the stars seemed to have come from a "normal" middle class family. It was better made then dawg fight, but still not a great documentary by any stretch. The common thread between these two is the lengths people are willing to go to for fame and fortune whether it be beating the sh*t out of each other or being exploited on film. My initial reaction having watched these 2 so closely together was to once again imagine the devolution of american society/culture, but in reality these things have existed throughout history.

Watched A Most Violent Year. The plot didn't take the turn I was hoping for, so I gave it a "meh." Oscar Isaac was good, though.

I like Oscar Isaac a lot. Kind of crazy that both X-Men and Star Wars snatched him right up as soon as everyone saw Llewyn Davis. One of those Gary Oldman/Tom Hardy types in the sense he can play pretty much any type of role that exists.

I like Oscar Isaac a lot. Kind of crazy that both X-Men and Star Wars snatched him right up as soon as everyone saw Llewyn Davis. One of those Gary Oldman/Tom Hardy types in the sense he can play pretty much any type of role that exists.

He is really good. IMO, he has a shot to get himself into that Gosling/Fassbender group of great actors under 40. 

They did a remake to that movie?  I recall watching it way before I should have as a kid and it ****ed with my head big time.  I was so confused and terrified.

Yes they did, here's the link 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1242432/?ref_=nv_sr_1

sh*t, it looks like they made another one which I hadn't seen yet 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2537176/?ref_=nv_sr_2

I've been exploring some older Cronenberg flicks lately and tonight I watched The Brood. Some seriously sick sh*t. Oliver Reed had a way of commanding every scene like very few others. Brando level stuff.

One thing I'm noticing about Cronenberg's catalog is that none of his movies seem to age at all. The subject matter, effects, camera work, design...etc. You could release his stuff in 2015 and if it weren't for the the cars and hairstyles people wouldn't know the difference.

I've never understood why a movie like, Don't Look Now, got so much love and adoration while, The Brood, basically goes unnoticed by most. Both films sorta follow a similar pace/mood, story line, with some shock added value except, The Brood is such a better told story and awesome throughout while, Don't Look Now is a somber, depressing as **** melo-drama minus the three second shot at the end of the movie. 

Sidenote: I keep bringing up this damn show but Hemlock Grove on Netflix, dir by Eli Roth, tries really hard to have a Cronenberg feel to it...didn't think of it until now but..

• Upvote 1

Totally agree.

I wanted to see intense people, massive cool cars, and watch crap blow up.

I got everything I wanted and more.

Side note I didn't realize. The "boy" saying "what a day!!" That's beast from the last 2 X-Men movies.

He's also the new Q in the bond movies

He is really good. IMO, he has a shot to get himself into that Gosling/Fassbender group of great actors under 40.

Ryan Gosling is a great actor?

Watch his lousy bugs bunny impression in gangster squad and tell me that's supposed to be acting. Did he even say more than 10 lines in drive?

I made my wife watch it with me and she never lets me live it down lol.

Frankly I thought Zombie did an excellent job on the Halloween remakes though, the first one in particular. 

The only Rob Zombie movie I haven't really liked was Devil's Rejects. I thought he did an amazing job with the Halloween remakes. And yes, I watched, The Lords of Salem and yes, I actually really liked it lol. 

I'm a HUGE Cronenberg fan and I loved that movie. Jennifer Jason Leigh was hot as hell in that. I also love History of Violence and Crash.

I saw History of Violence by myself in the theater. I came out thinking it was the greatest movie I've ever seen. Made my friend watch it with me when it came out on DVD a month or two later...and it was a very meh experience for both of us. That was a good learning lesson for me with movies. Sometimes they're better off left on a personal level. Because there was something about watching it in a loud empty movie theater by myself in the right mood vs. in a living room filled with too many expectations for a buddy to like it as much as I did. That was the last time I tried to make somebody else watch a movie with me that I personally already watched and loved.

It still probably goes down as a top 10 all time for me given the first time when I saw it alone.  

I saw History of Violence by myself in the theater. I came out thinking it was the greatest movie I've ever seen. Made my friend watch it with me when it came out on DVD a month or two later...and it was a very meh experience for both of us. That was a good learning lesson for me with movies. Sometimes they're better off left on a personal level. Because there was something about watching it in a loud empty movie theater by myself in the right mood vs. in a living room filled with too many expectations for a buddy to like it as much as I did. That was the last time I tried to make somebody else watch a movie with me that I personally already watched and loved.

It still probably goes down as a top 10 all time for me given the first time when I saw it alone.

Most people don't get Cronenberg. That's ok because those are the same people who drop $25 per ticket to watch Hunger Games IV in 3D or Insurgent: we have to specifically point out this is a sequel to Divergent so we don't offend anyone in 3D.

I'm partial to Eastern Promises for his newer stuff, but History is fantastic too. People forget that was a comic first.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4136056/

"The Seven Five" 

Saw this on netflix. Met Dowd a few times while I was a young ADA; guy seemed perpetually drunk or hungover. Things were so out of control that a guy like Dowd was out on the street because things were such a mess they needed all the bodies they could get. Begins to capture how utterly effed up NY was,and as one of the dirty cops says "East New York was the Land of F___". 

I'm partial to Eastern Promises for his newer stuff, but History is fantastic too. People forget that was a comic first.

I felt like Eastern Promises was a little more straightforward and not quite as intense, in a way. Good but it didn't stay with me or have the same affect/jolt on me as AHoV did. 

I felt like Eastern Promises was a little more straightforward and not quite as intense, in a way. Good but it didn't stay with me or have the same affect/jolt on me as AHoV did. 

Most definitely. History creeps along to this glorious payoff, and Promises is more an exploration of a subject. Maybe I went in a little biased because I had read the book prior. I felt that entire world of the Russian mob, particularly the tats and ruthlessness, was just something that nobody had done before. The Russian mob is always this thing someone else is up against, like in RocknRolla or Boondock Saints. Nobody had ever dove that deep into it before and I just thought it was so god damn cool.