I see no reason why

Jacked4JetsFB

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I support this.  Idzik is doing everything to emulate what the Seahawks have been doing the last few years personnel-wise.  Build up the talent in the trenches, get a nasty, run through you kind of running back in there, an exciting QB, and let the coaching do the rest.  And I for one think Rex Ryan is a better coach than Pete Carroll. 

We've seen teams make the 1-year turnaround before in the NFL.  We saw these very Jets do it in 2009.  If Geno gets his shot this year and he is the goods (and he doesn't have to be Russell Wilson good either, let's not heap those expectations on him), watch out NFL. 

The Jets are probably a playoff team if they can generate league average offense.  With the 4 headed running back attack, we should be improved there.  The passing game will be counting on better QB play, the addition of Santonio Holmes and an actual offensive scheme.  If we can run the ball with more explosive backs behind a line that may be better at run blocking with the guys they have brought in, we may see an offense that can score 20 points.  I like what we have done, but we still have upgrades needed in the passing game.  Hopefully Geno or Garrard are able to play this year and provide some improved QB play.

It really depends on Geno. Yeah if he’s Russell Wilson we could be a playoff team right away, but the chances of that are very slim. It’s easier for rookie’s to be successful right away but the talk at the minute seems to be that we’re sticking through Sanchez’s horrible contract for now, and I have a horrible feeling that if he’s in camp competing, then he’ll be the starter come week 1. If we go into the season with Sanchez starting then I’m going to see this season for what it will be – A trainwreck. Well for Sanchez at least, there will be the hope of Geno coming in and redeeming the season some what later on after Sanchez inevitably gets destroyed. I had hopes for Sanchez entering last season, but I’ve all but given up on him now. He’s broken, I don’t even think he’d function in that 2010 team anymore.

Pretty much the first Jets season I’ve entered devoid of any real optimism in terms of playoff hopes which is why I’m glad we drafted Geno, as it gives me something else to be optimistic about. I’m also pretty concerned about our special teams, something no one seems to mention on here. That group was less than stellar last season, actually cost us some games and now losing Westhoff means that period of dominance in that area is probably all but gone. Rex’s D will be set though, very excited to see that unit. 

we cannot be the Seahawks of this year or better.

Smith > Wilson & Rex >>>>>> Carrol

I think we are going to surprise a lot of people this year.

I agree that we'll surprise a lot of people this year, and support the general idea of this post... but not the juvenile logic about Smith and Rex >>> Wilson and Carrol.

It's more about the whole team, than those 2.

Anyway, positivity, yup1!!!! 

I will never worry about a Rex Ryan defense.  Ever.

But the man needs to at least build enough offense that his D can play 4 quarters.  If we finally can move the chains, we're playoff bound.  The 4th play of game 1 will tell me a lot.

But the man needs to at least build enough offense that his D can play 4 quarters.  If we finally can move the chains, we're playoff bound.  The 4th play of game 1 will tell me a lot.

What if it's a really, really, really good punt?

I'll never set my expectations for the season based on game 1 again, not under Rex. His teams, if I recall, come out and put a thumping on the Bills last year, the Texans in Sanchez's first game ever, and without checking I believe had impressive debuts the other 2 seasons in between.

Game 1 is not a barometer for what Rex has his hands on. Game 6 is about when we know what kind of team he's really putting on the field.

I'll never set my expectations for the season based on game 1 again, not under Rex. His teams, if I recall, come out and put a thumping on the Bills last year, the Texans in Sanchez's first game ever, and without checking I believe had impressive debuts the other 2 seasons in between.

Game 1 is not a barometer for what Rex has his hands on. Game 6 is about when we know what kind of team he's really putting on the field.

I certainly agree with you.  My point was mostly rhetorical  -- we have to move the chains so our awesome D will still be that awesome in the 4th.

His only opening day loss was to Baltimore, ironically, the best season he's had as HC.

They barely pulled one out vs. the Cowboys 2 years ago with the Revis INT to put them in FG range.

Agreed with your point.  This season is all about seeing steady improvement as the season goes on, IMO.

Sad but true.  If only Rex's Jets had 9 months to prepare for every game, they'd be unstoppable.

Strangely enough, the Jets worst opener under Rex by far (vs Baltimore in 2010) was the start of their best season with him.  Of course they did make up for that the next week vs NE.

:)    I'd worry more about a pick.

That said, a team should be good enough that their punter stinks and nobody ever finds out.

Exactly, which is why I figured it'd have to be considered a triumph for the Jets to manage to go a whole 3 plays without a turnover.

if there is a reason why they can't it's the WR/TE corp. the 2012 Seahawks had Sidney Rice, Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate with Zach Miller at TE. the 2013 Jets have a gimpy Santonio Holmes, Stephen Hill and Jeremy Kerley with Jeff Cumberland at TE. It's a huge step down. 

Playoffs ?

We have weaknesses at Safety and LB and a rookie at CB. Without even mentioning our inept offense the main reason we were able to sneak into the playoffs the first 2 years of Rex was due to a gift wrapped Colts game and the second time we lost 3 of our last 5 games some in blowout fashion and got in. This defense is not close to comparing to that defense in any way other than the DL and people are calling for playoffs ? Who is playing TE ? If the abomination that Sanchez was last year shows up again, this team will be very lucky to win 5 games. And yes, at Sanchez;' salary, he probably will be starting

if there is a reason why they can't it's the WR/TE corp. the 2012 Seahawks had Sidney Rice, Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate with Zach Miller at TE. the 2013 Jets have a gimpy Santonio Holmes, Stephen Hill and Jeremy Kerley with Jeff Cumberland at TE. It's a huge step down. 

Meh, same exact skills players they had in 2011.  In 2012, their leading receiver had 50 receptions.  They threw for 3,000 yards.  I dont think their weaponz had anything to do with it.  

They found a QB.  Thats it.  Thats all.

Meh, same exact skills players they had in 2011.  In 2012, their leading receiver had 50 receptions.  They threw for 3,000 yards.  I dont think their weaponz had anything to do with it.  

It's entirely possible Santonio never plays again. then they have Hill, kerley and ??? 

I just don't understand all the belly-aching about not having enough "playmakers".

A true WCO doesn't require there being a stud WR on the team, the ball gets spread around to 8+ receiving options each week. 

As long as we have a QB who can deliver the throws, minimize turnovers, then we're looking at an offense where none of our WRs might go over 60 catches, but we'll still move the chains and score points. Especially if our running game pops off, which I full expect.

It's entirely possible Santonio never plays again. then they have Hill, kerley and ??? 

Here....

Top 10 Receiving Options During the Donovan McNabb Era

Posted on 28. Jun, 2011 by Mike Burke in Eagles Related

He doesn’t play for the Eagles anymore, but Donovan McNabb has crawled back into Philadelphia headlines as of late. Rumors have swirled about him making a return after participating in workouts with the team. I can’t see that happening, but I guess you never know with the Eagles.

During his time in Philadelphia, McNabb brought the team a lot of success with the limited options he was given. The Eagles have a lot of talented receivers on the team now, but that hasn’t always been the case.

McNabb was forced to deal with subpar receivers throughout his career, and he made the best with what he was given. If he had the chance to work with the receivers on the team now while he was in his prime, he made have brought a Lombardi Trophy to Philadelphia.

Let’s a look back at the top options McNabb had to catch the ball from him while in Philadelphia.

10. Jeremy Maclin

Let me preface this ranking by saying that I don’t believe every receiver in front of Maclin on this list is better than him. However, McNabb and Maclin only had one year to work together, and it was while Maclin was a rookie.

McNabb helped show everyone that Maclin was worth moving up in the draft for. An offense like the one the Eagles run is often hard to grasp for a young player, but Maclin came in and recorded 56 receptions for 773 yards and four touchdowns in his first year.

Maclin made an immediate impact for the team, and he helped McNabb record his third highest yardage total while with the Eagles.

9. Brent Celek

Celek played three seasons with McNabb and showed everyone that the Eagles made a great choice when they drafted him out of Cincinnati.

We saw Celek start to shine at the end of the 2008 season with McNabb at the helm. In 2009, the duo picked up right where they left off and Celek put up career numbers to this point. During his 2009 campaign, Celek recorded 76 receptions for 971 yards and eight touchdowns.

His numbers fell when McNabb left, but it was because the Eagles decided to use him in a different type of role. However, there’s no denying that McNabb was very confident in Celek as a receiving target and exposed the league to the potential Celek has as a pass catching tight end.

8. Jason Avant

Avant is an underrated receiver in this league. With Maclin and DeSean Jackson lining up with him, I believe he’ll continue to be an underrated receiver for the rest of his career.

Avant spent four years with McNabb, and Donovan began to show us how Avant could be considered “Mr. Reliable” for the Birds.

He wasn’t featured much as a rookie, but Avant started to come into the role-playing receiver that he is during his second season. Avant doesn’t have the flare that the other receivers do, but McNabb showed everyone how valuable Avant could be on third downs out of the slot.

Avant recorded his career high in both yardage and touchdowns in McNabb’s final season.

7. Chad Lewis

Lewis was never the flashy tight end that caught a ton of passes and really grabbed your attention. However, he was an unsung hero and a guy that I’m sure both Eagles fans and McNabb both loved.

As an Eagles fan, this is one of the players I really loved during the McNabb era. He did everything that was asked of him. Lewis was more of an all-around tight end compared to guys now that are more built on either catching or blocking.

I’ll never forget the NFC Championship win against the Falcons (and Michael Vick). Lewis had just four receptions for 20 yards, but two were for touchdowns.

Lewis’ touchdown dance on his butt against the Falcons is an Eagles memory I’ll never forget.

6. Reggie Brown

Brown never turned into the type of receiver the Eagles had hoped for when they drafted him, but he put up some decent numbers for McNabb during his time in Philadelphia.

Everyone wished Brown would have been more, but this was right in the prime of McNabb’s mediocrity of wide receivers. However, Brown averaged roughly 50 receptions, 800 yards, and six touchdowns in the 2006 and 2007 seasons.

Again, everyone hope for a lot more out of Brown. However, if the Eagles would have had some strong options to line-up with him, Brown may have had better numbers.

5. Todd Pinkston

Much like Brown, Pinkston was never a player that panned out like the Eagles hoped. However, he was a player that helped take advantage of McNabb’s big arm.

We’ll always remember how he ducked out of taking a big hit on a ball down the field, but he was one of the few players that could make a play down the field early in McNabb’s career.

Reuben Frank considered Pinkston to be one of the more underrated receivers in Eagles historybecause of his deep ball abilities. He will always be remembered because of how he got pushed around by corners and his tendency to use alligator arms when around contact.

However, he was one of the first players to come in and successfully display McNabb’s ability to throw the ball down field.

4. Kevin Curtis

The Eagles were looking for a go-to guy when they brought in Curtis, and he immediately connected with McNabb.

During the 2007 season, it was hard to forget the Eagles home game against the Lions for a number of reasons. The biggest reason was probably the ugly throwback jerseys were wearing that day. The second biggest reason was the score.

When it was all said and done, the Eagles pounded the Lions 56-21. One of the biggest contributors in that game was Curtis who recorded 11 receptions for 221 yards and three touchdowns.

This wasn’t just a big seasons for Curtis, it was a big year. He ended the 2007 campaign with 77 receptions for 1,110 yards and six touchdowns. This was his only full season with the Eagles, but if he could have stayed healthy, he could have gone on to repeat those numbers for a few more years.

3. DeSean Jackson

Heading into 2011, Jackson will be one of the most electrifying players in the NFL. However, McNabb helped make every team in the NFL regret passing on Jackson in his first season in the league.

In just two seasons with McNabb at the helm, Jackson recorded 62 receptions both years and collected 912 and 1,156 years respectively. Like those who attempted the feat earlier in McNabb’s career, Jackson proved to be the perfect match in showing off the quarterbacks ability to stretch the ball deep down the field.

In fact, Jackson at least doubled the amount of receiving yards any other receiver had in McNabb’s most successful year passing (2008). Who knows what would have happened if McNabb had Jackson in the beginning of his career.

2. Brian Westbrook

Is it sad that McNabb’s second best receiving option was a running back? Yes and no.

To begin, McNabb had Westbrook at his disposal for a long part of his career. Westbrook was a dual-threat running back with the Eagles, excelling in catching the ball out of the backfield.

From 2004-2007, Westbrook had at least 600 yards receiving. In 2007, he recorded 90 receptions for 771 yards and five touchdowns. When the Eagles struggled to have a receiver shine, Westbrook picked up a lot of slack.

Sure, McNabb wasn’t often slinging the ball down field Westbrook, but Westbrook made the most out of every reception he recorded.

Westbrook was a huge asset to McNabb, and will live down as one of the most productive running backs in Eagles history.

1. Terrell Owens

Love him or hate him, Owens was the best receiver ever to team up with McNabb during his era.

After years of struggling to provide McNabb with a true number one receiver, they brought in Owens and they immediately started to shine.

In his first season with the Eagles, Owens recorded 77 receptions for 1,200 yards and 14 touchdowns. This was also the season in which McNabb completed the highest number of passes, as well as his second highest number in yardage and highest total of passing touchdowns.

The two had a bit of a rocky relationship, but McNabb never had a better option than Owens.

It's a long read, and a bit outdated, but I think an interesting one. 

Maclin, Deshaun and TO didn't even play very long with McNabb. He mostly accomplished what he did with NOBODIES + Westbrook.

I thought you were like a draftnik type, that knows more than the average bear... not sure why you are perpetuating the fallacy that we NEED playmakers. Playmakers emerge every season when the right players find themselves in the right situations. 

Lattimore just got drafted a few months removed from having his leg ripped off and Santonio is never gonna play again?

Here....

It's a long read, and a bit outdated, but I think an interesting one. 

Maclin, Deshaun and TO didn't even play very long with McNabb. He mostly accomplished what he did with NOBODIES + Westbrook.

I thought you were like a draftnik type, that knows more than the average bear... not sure why you are perpetuating the fallacy that we NEED playmakers. Playmakers emerge every season when the right players find themselves in the right situations. 

A constant in the McNabb years were a tight end. Chad Lewis was his blanket. And later Kelce became that role.

The Jets got rid of a 60+ catch per season Keller and replaced him with  20 catch per season Cumberland. 

this is not a playoff caliber WR/TE. no way to spin it otherwise. Well there is one way to imagine Cumberland and Clyde Gates becoming awesome. 

Lattimore just got drafted a few months removed from having his leg ripped off and Santonio is never gonna play again?

is that supposed to make Jets fans feel better? the lis franc fracture by the way is possibly a more severe injury. It's a career ender about half the time. Especially for players who require their feet for speed. when Ryan Kalil breaks his lis franc it's troublesome but the guy has to run about 10 yards in any direction. Santonio with a lis franc is like when a thoroughbred breaks his leg. 

A constant in the McNabb years were a tight end. The Jets got rid of a 60+ catch per season Keller and replaced him 20 catch Cumberland. 

this is not a playoff caliber WR/TE. no way to spin it otherwise. 

Spin?

Spin is when you post the stats of a backup, who was injured, to try to sell him as being less capable than the guy that he has to replace. Spin is when you imply that not having Dustin Keller will keep us out of the playoffs. Hahahaha... alright, well now that it's clear you've got an agenda. I'll offer up one other point and then laugh at you... 

Few tight ends are freakish athletes, the rest are products of circumstance and often excel as a result of chemistry. Alge Crumpler played well above his means for years because of chemistry with Vick, just as Kevin Boss did when he was with the Giants catching passes from Eli.

Keller's 60 catches a year, could be redistributed easily to a receiving fullback (Bohanon?), Cumberland, Hayden Smith or one of the TEs that we grabbed at a UDFA, or a veteran that we may sign in the coming months, since the season is a long ways off. 

I think it's laughable that you just backed off your "playmakers" argument when I illustrated what McNabb accomplished without superstar WRs, and went right for TE as if we can't replace 60 catches in an offense designed to distribute the ball to a wide range of targets. 

is that supposed to make Jets fans feel better? the lis franc fracture by the way is possibly a more severe injury. It's a career ender about half the time. Especially for players who require their feet for speed. when Ryan Kalil breaks his lis franc it's troublesome but the guy has to run about 10 yards in any direction. Santonio with a lis franc is like when a thoroughbred breaks his leg. 

Dwight Freeney, Ronnie Brown, and Kevin Jones have come back from Lis Franc.  I'm not saying Holmes might not suffer some ill effects but he should be able to go.  Especially when you take into account he needs to prove something this year if he wants to continue to collect NFL paychecks. 

Spin?

Spin is when you post the stats of a backup, who was injured, to try to sell him as being less capable than the guy that he has to replace. Spin is when you imply that not having Dustin Keller will keep us out of the playoffs. Hahahaha... alright, well now that it's clear you've got an agenda. I'll offer up one other point and then laugh at you... 

Few tight ends are freakish athletes, the rest are products of circumstance and often excel as a result of chemistry. Alge Crumpler played well above his means for years because of chemistry with Vick, just as Kevin Boss did when he was with the Giants catching passes from Eli.

Keller's 60 catches a year, could be redistributed easily to a receiving fullback (Bohanon?), Cumberland, Hayden Smith or one of the TEs that we grabbed at a UDFA, or a veteran that we may sign in the coming months, since the season is a long ways off. 

I think it's laughable that you just backed off your "playmakers" argument when I illustrated what McNabb accomplished without superstar WRs, and went right for TE as if we can't replace 60 catches in an offense designed to distribute the ball to a wide range of targets. 

What are you blabbering about?

Holmes had one very good year his entire career. The rest = JAG loudmouth. That being said the only thing that made this guy good at all was his quickness and you certainly are going to lose some of that with this severe of an injury. So do you expect Holmes who has never ever  reached number 1 WR status in this league (certainly not with the Jets) to all of a sudden show up after such an injury ? So the Jets going into the season have Hill, Kerley and Cumberland at TE (are the other WR/TE on this team even worth mentioning?) with Holmes very much a question mark. Does this ease your mind going into the season ? Kerley is a slot guy probably in the 800 yard range. Cumberland, not even sure what his best year was maybe 30 catches ? An Aussie that bean brain said no one can cover and 2 injruy prone RB's.  While I really like both Ivory and Goodson can anyone be sure these guys can last an entire season cause they have not done so up to this point.

If anyone has any hope Geno Smith will be a good QB you better hope the Jets dont throw this kid in with that cast of characters or his mind will go in the toilet just like Sanchez did.

Holmes had one very good year his entire career. The rest = JAG loudmouth. That being said the only thing that made this guy good at all was his quickness and you certainly are going to lose some of that with this severe of an injury. So do you expect Holmes who has never ever  reached number 1 WR status in this league (certainly not with the Jets) to all of a sudden show up after such an injury ? So the Jets going into the season have Hill, Kerley and Cumberland at TE (are the other WR/TE on this team even worth mentioning?) with Holmes very much a question mark. Does this ease your mind going into the season ? Kerley is a slot guy probably in the 800 yard range. Cumberland, not even sure what his best year was maybe 30 catches ? An Aussie that bean brain said no one can cover and 2 injruy prone RB's.  While I really like both Ivory and Goodson can anyone be sure these guys can last an entire season cause they have not done so up to this point.

If anyone has any hope Geno Smith will be a good QB you better hope the Jets dont throw this kid in with that cast of characters or his mind will go in the toilet just like Sanchez did.

I never said I liked Holmes...  just that he'll be able to come back and play.

I'm actually interested to see about Clyde Gates and Jordan White..  word was they were both really coming on.  We don't have MegaJulioAndre but we have a pack of serviceable options. 

Archived