133 replies to this topic

#1 NYJetsVets91

NYJetsVets91

Green Machine

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 468 posts
  • LocationLaramie, Wyoming

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Apparently the Jets have already contacted Verner per Costello. See the update at the bottom of the article... Good move?

http://www.nfl.com/n...lterraun-verner

Free-agent cornerback Alterraun Verner is bound to make a killing in free agency.

After the Tennessee Titans decided not to apply the franchise tag on the 25-year-old cover man, at least one interested party is hovering.

ESPN.com's Ben Goessling reported that the Vikings"called to express interest" Saturday after teams were given permission to dial up free agents ahead of Tuesday's open-market launch.

There's a natural fit for Verner in Minnesota with the presence of defensive backs aide Jerry Gray, who coached the fifth-year corner in Tennessee during his run as the Titans' coordinator.

We expect Minnesota to face competition, but with upwards of $33 million in salary-cap space, the Vikingshave the room to pay Verner. He's a good bet to make close to $10 million annually after finishing as one of the top players at his position last season.

Few teams need secondary help more than Minnesota, a team that allowed a whopping 4,598 yards through the air last season, second worst in the NFL.

Verner's on the smaller side, but that didn't hinder his play in 2013, and he'd be a foundational piece of the puzzle for a Mike Zimmer-led team that needs an influx of talent on the defensive side of the ball.

UPDATE: Brian Costello of the New York Post reported Saturday that the New York Jets also haveshown interest in Verner. That makes sense for a Rex Ryan defense that could use help in the secondary. The Rams also inquired about Verner, Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

Edited by NYJetsVets91, 08 March 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#2 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

This is the move I want them to make more than any other this offseason. More than the receiver they sign, more than any one draft pick. I want this.

"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#3 nj meadowlands

nj meadowlands

Transition Player

• Members
  • 6,520 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

Hm cool.  Verner, Asomoah, Finley.  I don't know how any of these writers can purport to know jack sh*t, but I like all the names associated with the Jets in FA so far.

F You Jets.

#4 GREENBEAN

GREENBEAN

I may or may not like things

• Members
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

This would be the best news other than Jarius Byrd IMO.  This is a young aggressive CB with good ball skills. I like it a lot if this is the route we're going.

Why must the Jets make it possible for me to be ridiculed at work EVERY SINGLE YEAR??????

/Users/christopherteaney/Downloads/dark-elf-shaiya.jpg

#5 Thor99

Thor99

Making friends since 1970

• Moderators
  • 18,454 posts
  • LocationLeland, NC

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

Apparently the Jets have already contacted Verner per Costello. See the update at the bottom of the article... Good move?

Please post the article with the link.

Thanks.
Look at me
I'm a tangled puppet
I might be a mess
But I sure can survive

#6 NYJetsVets91

NYJetsVets91

Green Machine

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 468 posts
  • LocationLaramie, Wyoming

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Please post the article with the link.

Thanks.

My bad. Just updated it.

Edited by NYJetsVets91, 08 March 2014 - 06:18 PM.

#7 Thor99

Thor99

Making friends since 1970

• Moderators
  • 18,454 posts
  • LocationLeland, NC

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

My bad. just updated it.

It's all good.

Thank you.
Look at me
I'm a tangled puppet
I might be a mess
But I sure can survive

#8 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,458 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

Corners become celebrities under Rex and get paaaaaid. Cromartie went to the Pro Bowl this year and was horrible. It's like playing RB for Mike Shanahan.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#9 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,417 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

Corners become celebrities under Rex and get paaaaaid. Cromartie went to the Pro Bowl this year and was horrible. It's like playing RB for Mike Shanahan.

The crazy thing is, after Revis' demands of $16 million, reports of a corner wanting $9-$10 million per seems relatively modest.

#10 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,458 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

The crazy thing is, after Revis' demands of $16 million, reports of a corner wanting $9-$10 million per seems relatively modest.

I believe Brent Grimes just got $8 mil. I don't think anyone is going to offer a CB $10 mil until Pat Peterson gets to FA.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#11 BurnleyJet

BurnleyJet

Fan for 30 years (You get less for Murder these days!)

• Members
  • 2,358 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

I'd beHappy if they got Vontae Davis.

#12 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,417 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

I believe Brent Grimes just got $8 mil. I don't think anyone is going to offer a CB $10 mil until Pat Peterson gets to FA.

Yea, but Verner and Davis are 5-6 years younger than Grimes and PP is in the same draft class as Mo, so unless 'Zona does him a solid, he's not hitting FA for a long time.  I assume that $10 million is a max number that they could approach, I would imagine that $8-$9 million per with more guaranteed that Grimes is probably what we'll see them get.  

#13 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,458 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

Yea, but Verner and Davis are 5-6 years younger than Grimes and PP is in the same draft class as Mo, so unless 'Zona does him a solid, he's not hitting FA for a long time. I assume that $10 million is a max number that they could approach, I would imagine that $8-$9 million per with more guaranteed that Grimes is probably what we'll see them get.

Yeah, if I were guessing, I'd imagine he'd get between $8 and $9 mil for four years. I think LaCanfora had it that GMs were saying Revis would get between $9 and $11 per on the open market right now.

#14 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,799 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

i have absolutely no faith in this deal getting done for the Jets

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#15 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,417 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

i have absolutely no faith in this deal getting done for the Jets

My faith just went from six to midnight. 

#16 ylekram

ylekram

BLUE EYED DEVIL

• Members
  • 2,709 posts
  • Locationhamden,ct.

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

Yea, but Verner and Davis are 5-6 years younger than Grimes and PP is in the same draft class as Mo, so unless 'Zona does him a solid, he's not hitting FA for a long time.  I assume that $10 million is a max number that they could approach, I would imagine that $8-$9 million per with more guaranteed that Grimes is probably what we'll see them get.  

shields signed a 4 year 39m contract with the packers. looks like the market will be about 10m per

#17 joewilly12

joewilly12

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

Why not just make a deal for Revis? 

#18 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 17,639 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

it was like a thousand voices all crying out at once

Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.

#19 j4jets

j4jets

Numbers guy!

• Members
  • 918 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

Bucs wouldn't trade him back to us. Too much public humiliation. Now if we were to offer a 1st and a 2nd, they'll jump all over it, in which case Jets would be on the short end of the stick.

#20 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,417 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

You're right. Think they'll accept Sheldon and a 4th?

#21 joewillie78

joewillie78

lowest poster rating in the league

• Banned
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

Is this dudes first name pronounced like a 4 wheeler with big tires, no appreciable sheet metal for a body, and roll bars all around?

You know, All-Terrain?

Posted Image

#22 Gastineau Lives

Gastineau Lives

JetNation Radio Has Been

• Members
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

Is this dudes first name pronounced like a 4 wheeler with big tires, no appreciable sheet metal for a body, and roll bars all around?

You know, All-Terrain?

This is one for the inside voice.

"Those eight weeks I spent as co-host of JetNation Radio were among the happiest of my life. Oh, and F Tom Shane."

#23 Arsis

Arsis

An Original JNer

• Members
  • 17,797 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

You're right. Think they'll accept Sheldon and a 4th?

Don't even joke. They can have Sheldon from the big bang theory.

#24 Villain The Foe

Villain The Foe

Training Camp With The New York Jets

• Members
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

Free-agent cornerback Alterraun Verner is bound to make a killing in free agency.

After the Tennessee Titans decided not to apply the franchise tag on the 25-year-old cover man, at least one interested party is hovering.

ESPN.com's Ben Goessling reported that the Vikings"called to express interest" Saturday after teams were given permission to dial up free agents ahead of Tuesday's open-market launch.

There's a natural fit for Verner in Minnesota with the presence of defensive backs aide Jerry Gray, who coached the fifth-year corner in Tennessee during his run as the Titans' coordinator.

We expect Minnesota to face competition, but with upwards of $33 million in salary-cap space, the Vikingshave the room to pay Verner. He's a good bet to make close to $10 million annually after finishing as one of the top players at his position last season.

Few teams need secondary help more than Minnesota, a team that allowed a whopping 4,598 yards through the air last season, second worst in the NFL.

Verner's on the smaller side, but that didn't hinder his play in 2013, and he'd be a foundational piece of the puzzle for a Mike Zimmer-led team that needs an influx of talent on the defensive side of the ball.

UPDATE: Brian Costello of the New York Post reported Saturday that the New York Jets also haveshown interest in Verner. That makes sense for a Rex Ryan defense that could use help in the secondary. The Rams also inquired about Verner, Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

It would be a mistake if you ask me. We'll get a damn good CB but we'll be sh_t out of luck at the safety position yet again. If we're going to spend top dollar then we need to get the best free agent this year which is Byrd. I say solidify our FS with byrd and at the same time put legit talent around Antonio Allen and allow him to flourish as a SS. Restructure Antonio Cromartie and pick up Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. If it was in fact a nagging hip injury then Cromartie should be having a bounce back season. You'll add to that Rodgers-Cromartie and if Milliner capitalizes on his last 3 games and the offseason we just locked up our entire secondary with 2 known cover corners, an up-and-coming CB in Milliner, a solid nickel in Wilson, arguably the best FS in the game in Byrd and a promising SS in Allen who can cover TE's with no help. Add that to our DL. Now if we can hit on a pass rusher in the 2nd round to add to Davis and Harris and the Jets will have the potential of a top 3 defense in the league. 

Edited by Villain The Foe, 08 March 2014 - 10:48 PM.

NYJetsScript.gif

#25 Better2bgreenthanblue

Better2bgreenthanblue

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

Seems unlikely we spend big $ on FA WR so why not? Maybe Cro could come in on passing downs... then play on both sides of the ball lol. Broken hipped Cro probably better than our #4 Hill. Thank god this draft is deep in playmakers !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users