•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Saalim Hakim named Jets kick returner

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 joewilly12

joewilly12

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

Coach Rex Ryan named Saalim Hakim the Jets' kickoff primary returner.

Rookie Jalen Saunders will presumably return punts. A Tarleton State alum, Hakim clocked forty times in the 4.2s at his 2012 Pro Day. 24 years old, Saalim is the younger brother of former Rams star Az-Zahir Hakim.

#2 T0mShane

T0mShane

When it's over, that's the time I fall in love againlolo

• Members
  • 28,257 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

#championship
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#3 Jets Voice of Reason

Jets Voice of Reason

Are you listening?

• Members
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

Good for him. Now he gets a front-row seat to watch the ball fly over his head.

Remember that time a few months ago when I said I had blue balls, and you, well, you gave a brother a hand?

That would be it for me..

#4 derp

derp

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

He looked good as a gunner on the punt team, guess he's making the team based on special teams value?

#5 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

cool.  he looks like a specials ace

Edited by Larz, 24 August 2014 - 03:25 PM.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

#6 RSJ

RSJ

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,543 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

Did he even line up at that position this pre season? I thought it was always Ford?

#7 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

Did he even line up at that position this pre season? I thought it was always Ford?

apparently he did it for the jets last season. 

CHARLOTTE -- Wide receiver Saalim Hakim, who was signed Friday from the practice squad, is expected to return kickoffs Sunday against the Carolina Panthers. He will be the New York Jets' third kickoff returner in as many weeks. It will be his NFL debut.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

#8 Patriot Killa

Patriot Killa

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

Glad the kid made the team. Now I would like to see Salas as our #4.

#9 Il Mostro

Il Mostro

Cazzone

• Members
  • 5,179 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

He has to based on his play -- Salas has really earned that spot.  If they screw this one up my head will explode.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun.

#10 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 22,770 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

He has to based on his play -- Salas has really earned that spot.  If they screw this one up my head will explode.

I think the writings on the wall that Hill is a goner anyways.

Edited by Matt39, 24 August 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#11 Patriot Killa

Patriot Killa

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

I think the writings on the wall that Hill is a goner anyways.

He will play slot #5 at the bottom of the depth chart and be cut at the end of the season... These type of things happen all the time for early round busts.. no worries he'll end up on the Browns practice squad one way or another.

#12 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 22,770 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

He will play slot #5 at the bottom of the depth chart and be cut at the end of the season... These type of things happen all the time for early round busts.. no worries he'll end up on the Browns practice squad one way or another.

Yeah, it's possible. He wont be seeing much action though if he's kept around. The effort on the slant he ran on Friday night was pathetic. Guy on the bubble half assing routes.

#13 Patriot Killa

Patriot Killa

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

Yeah, it's possible. He wont be seeing much action though if he's kept around. The effort on the slant he ran on Friday night was pathetic. Guy on the bubble half assing routes.

You could truly see no effort on that slant... either he just shows no effort or he sucks so bad he's making it look like he's not even trying.

#14 Jetlife33

Jetlife33

Gotham City Football Club

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

Glad to see this, shows this competition business is somewhat serious. He deserved it he looks great on specials.

New-York-Jets-Helmet-2.gif

#15 lamont_jordan_rules

lamont_jordan_rules

Free Agent

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

Change #4 to #3 although it's close ... And I +1 you!

#16 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

Hopefully he puts that monster 40 time down on the turf.. cause Gates, Hill, McKnight, and Ford certainly never did. 

#17 Patriot Killa

Patriot Killa

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:35 PM

Change #4 to #3 although it's close ... And I +1 you!

He won't get the #3 spot. Kerley has the slot locked down.

#18 Integrity28

Integrity28

Told you so.

• Members
  • 34,535 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

Why is this news?

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#19 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,893 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

Hakim was back there every kick against the Giants and looked decent enough to me on the punt and kick cover teams. It seems like they are making roster space for him, but I never see him do anything at WR.  Strange. 

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#20 Bleedin Green

Bleedin Green

SuperTwat

• Members
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

Hakim was back there every kick against the Giants and looked decent enough to me on the punt and kick cover teams. It seems like they are making roster space for him, but I never see him do anything at WR.  Strange. 

Yeah, I doubt his making of the final roster (assuming that happens) will have any impact on what they do with the WR position.  It seems that he's earning his way onto the roster strictly based on ST, and it just so happens that WR is the position he's listed at.  There's a couple of guys like that on each team.  While I'm sure they'll try to groom him to be a contributor at WR while he's on the roster, they won't be counting on him to be one this year, and aren't likely going to cut a guy like Salas for him either.

By day he's the (not so) mild-mannered Bleedin Green, but by night...

TL;DR

#21 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 8,620 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

One thing that is not clear is will Saalim Hakin be the kick returner for the rest of the season, the next pre-season game  or something else.

#22 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,893 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

Yeah, I doubt his making of the final roster (assuming that happens) will have any impact on what they do with the WR position.  It seems that he's earning his way onto the roster strictly based on ST, and it just so happens that WR is the position he's listed at.  There's a couple of guys like that on each team.  While I'm sure they'll try to groom him to be a contributor at WR while he's on the roster, they won't be counting on him to be one this year, and aren't likely going to cut a guy like Salas for him either.

He actually played the position last year, but they only used him on a couple of reverses.  I think he was actually liste as a captain the first game he played.  I know he got caught for a big loss on one reverse and had something like an 8 yard gain on another.  Not sure if he had any more, but I am pretty sure that he had zero receptions. 

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#23 Smashmouth

Smashmouth

Make us proud Wrecks

• Members
  • 13,362 posts
  • LocationDallas Tx.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

****** Official Snoopy Bowl Repeat Thread ******

photo-thumb-9504.jpg?_r=1401493065 Posted by Smashmouth on 23 August 2014 - 12:16 PM in New York Jets Message Board

Saalim Hakim

this kid is our best KR

He has good burst and is fearless --- Hope he gets a shot

Proud Member of the AVM

#24 roscoeword

roscoeword

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

May he go in the way of past great KO returners: Justin Miller, Brad Smith, Leon Washington. All we need is for Westhoff to come back, and the ball to come back five yards.

#25 slats

slats

9 5/8" hands

• Moderators
  • 19,716 posts
  • LocationAcross the Universe

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

Being named KOR means he's also tying up one of the WR spots. I don't see the Jets carrying more than six. Decker, Kerley, Hakim, Saunders, Salas, and one of Nelson/Hill is my guess. With Evans on the IR, and Enunwa (hopefully) on the practice squad.
back in my room
wish you were dead
you bawl like the baby
in Eraserhead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users