Houston FAs that McCagnan is likely familiar with...

Integrity28

As we see year after year, NFL coaches and personnel guys typically start off in new places by going with what they know. Given McCagnan's history in scouting, I'm very excited about the prospect of him carrying all of his up-to-date scouting knowledge from the college level to our impending draft this year, but I'm equally excited about the prospect of him bringing some Houston players over to us in the next year or so... 

All I've been able to find so far as a resource that shows who would be available, is this article:

2015 Houston Texans free agents
January, 5, 2015
JAN 5
8:00
AM ET
By Tania Ganguli | ESPN.com
When the Houston Texans put together their roster last offseason, they were thrifty, avoiding splashy signings with an eye to the future. The strategy worked well on defense, and consequently, the Texans enter this offseason with about half their starting defense headed for free agency. They've also got a decision to make at quarterback with Ryan Mallett headed for free agency and a right tackle in Derek Newton, who made impressive strides in his fourth season, is also in that position. The new league year opens at 4 p.m. ET on March 10. At that point, unrestricted free agents can sign with any team. Right now, the Texans have 15 pending free agents. 

Here’s a list of the Texans' unrestricted and restricted free agents: 

Unrestricted: 

Akeem Dent, inside linebacker 

Kareem Jackson, cornerback 

Tim Jamison, defensive end 

Kendrick Lewis, safety 

Ryan Mallett, quarterback 

Danieal Manning, safety 

Derek Newton, offensive tackle 

Ryan Pickett, nose tackle 

Brooks Reed, outside linebacker 

Restricted: 

Damaris Johnson, receiver 

Case Keenum (exclusive rights), quarterback 

Eddie Pleasant (exclusive rights), safety 

Jerrell Powe, nose tackle 

Jeff Tarpinian, inside linebacker 

Cody White, offensive line

Not much to get psyched about. It'll be really interesting to see how McCagnan pilfer's other teams UFA lists and practice squads. I'm kind of psyched to be getting a guy with his finger on the pulse of the scouting history of the players as they come available, you just don't get that level of intimacy with potential from guys that come from the financial side of the house. 

I could see a Case Keenum type brought in here just as a safe, low-ceiling, low-risk type of QB placeholder. Anyone that doesn't continue this decade-long string of 20+ turnovers from the QB position would be ideal... 

Guys at his level have them on their own PC also, I am sure that when he started interviewing his boss restricted some access.  But the 50 or so guys that intrigued him, I am sure that he remembers their names.  Proprietary info cant be brought into the new office, but You can be pretty sure that he did not destroy it this morning.  But again, that would be cheating and the jets would not do such a thing.

who does the scouting thing work ?  I would assume the teams owns the files as "intellectual property" ?

sure he won't forget if he prefers winston over marriota, but I doubt he gets to bring the files with him

Dude, I've interviewed candidates for gigs, clients and prospects, and remember so much specifics around the vibe in the room, the answers they've given to questions, etc., from as far back as 8-10 years ago... somewhere there is a file with my notes from the interview, but the important stuff is logged away in my memory. I think when you are on the ground, and part of your job is developing the memory framework to absorb and retain this stuff, you carry it with you.

It is a good question though, the IP part of it probably stays with the team. I wouldn't even know how to go about finding that out.

Brooks Reed would look good in green and white. Ryan Mallett could be a fit too here if Maccagnan liked what he saw. Quinn is likely to bring some impact free agents with him too such as Byron Maxwell and Malcolm Smith.

I think Mallet was an O'brien decision. 

The combination of Quinn and McCagnan is going to give our franchise visibility into two very strong roster histories, that's for sure.

Really like Brooks Reed coming out of college and I believe the Jets were high on him as well. Mallett would be another interesting option and certainly someone that I wouldn't mind them bringing in for camp competition, especially if we don't land Winston or Mariota. 

If we're going to pilfer anybody's free agents, I'm going to have to imagine it's probably Seattle, as the HC is probably going to want to implement some of his guys to run his system, should he go that route. On top of that, Seattle has to deal with handing out Wilson one of the largest contracts in NFL history, so they are certainly going to lose a number of their guys, possibly Irvin and some of the big names.

Really like Brooks Reed coming out of college and I believe the Jets were high on him as well. Mallett would be another interesting option and certainly someone that I wouldn't mind them bringing in for camp competition, especially if we don't land Winston or Mariota. 

If we're going to pilfer anybody's free agents, I'm going to have to imagine it's probably Seattle, as the HC is probably going to want to implement some of his guys to run his system, should he go that route. On top of that, Seattle has to deal with handing out Wilson one of the largest contracts in NFL history, so they are certainly going to lose a number of their guys, possibly Irvin and some of the big names.

With the cap space we've got, I can see us extending cornerstone players on our roster already, adding some key moving parts from Seattle and Houston, perhaps a couple big splash type signings in FA at at large, then a draft class. 

If these hires pan out, and we can normalize our QB play, we can compete right away. This team isn't nearly as devoid of talent as Rex fans have insisted.

I think Mallet was an O'brien decision. 

The combination of Quinn and McCagnan is going to give our franchise visibility into two very strong roster histories, that's for sure.

Yeah, but Maccagnan has to be familiar with him at this point. If the Jets choose to pursue him, we'll know it's with some decent information. And if they don't, we'll know that's an informed decision as well.

I hope Mac likes him, personally.

Brooks Reed would look good in green and white. Ryan Mallett could be a fit too here if Maccagnan liked what he saw. Quinn is likely to bring some impact free agents with him too such as Byron Maxwell and Malcolm Smith.

I think Malcolm Smith will shine as an OLB for the Jets. 4.46 speed. Super Bowl MVP. Too bad he was trying to break through on one of the best "D"'s top to bottom. Goodbye Calvin Pace & Harris

who does the scouting thing work ?  I would assume the teams owns the files as "intellectual property" ?

sure he won't forget if he prefers winston over marriota, but I doubt he gets to bring the files with him

Probably has to make hard copy or digital copy of his work. or put it on his own tablet. If he has a good relationship with the Texans,no big deal. If he has pissed them off like Mangini did with Bellicheat, different story.

Yeah, but Maccagnan has to be familiar with him at this point. If the Jets choose to pursue him, we'll know it's with some decent information. And if they don't, we'll know that's an informed decision as well.

With the terrible QB draft this year we need some type of developmental young QB's. Mallet can't be expensive and would be a great pickup. He also will likely have interest in us as he has a shot here. 

What I meant was that I expect O'brien will have too much an advantage in keeping O'brien, that said the thing I'm most curious about is Tom Savage and whether McCagnan views him as starter-ready, it might be a case where he gets here and trades for him.... Sort of like Wolf did with Favre those years ago.

He's fast. He must be awesome.

Wise A$$... he's a good young player.

Better than Reilly and the other backup JAG's we have.

Our defense is slow. We need speed on the outside and in coverage.

I'd also like to see Quinn bring Carpenter OL with him an  inexpensive signing if Iupati signs elsewhere.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but aren't the Texans likely to dump Brian Cushing? Would be an interesting fit.

Cushing, not seen him played much although he does not seem to be the same player, since he was busted for performance enhancing drugs. Only link he's a New Jersey kid.

Archived