Mehta: Jets in place to pull off blockbuster trade.

Patriot Killa

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-jets-place-pull-blockbuster-draft-trade-article-1.2117943

For once... I agree with the little guy.

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan is positioned to pull off a smart, blockbuster, draft-day trade thanks to a fast-talkin’, smoothie-lovin’ offensive guru 90 miles down the road who can’t wait to land the quarterback of his dreams.

Eagles head coach Chip Kelly’s yearning for Oregon star Marcus Mariota could pave the way for a mutually beneficial deal that would upgrade the Jets at quarterback and provide premium picks to help rebuild a wayward franchise.

On the surface, a deal between the Jets and Eagles makes plenty of sense if Mariota is available when Maccagnan & Co. are on the clock with the No. 6 overall pick on April 30. Upon closer inspection, it’s the ultimate no-brainer unless the Jets brass is in starry-eyed love with the Heisman Trophy winner.

Florida State’s Jameis Winston is the favorite to be the Buccaneers’ top overall selection. Although the Titans have quarterback concerns, Mariota isn’t the prototypical, pro-style signal-caller for head coach Ken Whisenhunt’s system. GM Ruston Weber’s recent praise of 2014 sixth-rounder Zach Mettenberger makes it likely that Tennessee will pass on Mariota with the No. 2 pick.

The Jaguars, Raiders, and Washington, the next three teams on the board, don’t have glaring needs at quarterback, setting the stage for a Jets-Eagles swap.

What’s fair compensation?

The Rams and Washington provided a loose framework three years ago in a trade centering on a star college quarterback. Washington gave up three first-round picks (2012-2014) and a 2012 second-round pick to move up from the No. 6 to No. 2 to land Robert Griffin III.

Kelly, who now has complete personnel control after an offseason organizational shakeup, isn’t nearly as desperate as then-Washington head coach Mike Shanahan was to find a franchise quarterback. Washington’s three quarterbacks in the two seasons before the trade — Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman and John Beck — were a combined 11-21 for a pair of last-place teams.

The Eagles have had 10-win seasons, including a playoff appearance, in Kelly’s first two years. It’s unlikely that he’d sell the farm for the dual-threat quarterback, but he’d almost certainly put together the most attractive deal for Mariota, who would have a minimal learning curve in an offense run by his former college coach.

“He might be the fastest guy on the field, but his mind is even faster,” Kelly said before Oregon’s National Championship game against Ohio State last month. “(He) thinks like Peyton Manning.”

Not coincidentally, Kelly has never doled out such effusive praise for Eagles starter Nick Foles, who would be the ideal bargaining chip in a potential trade. Kelly would prefer to use Foles to supplement (and thus lighten) the draft-pick compensation package needed to move up for Mariota, who might not throw at the scouting combine this week due to a sprained right shoulder suffered in the National Championship game.

Although the trade value chart devised by Jimmy Johnson in the 1990s provides a numerical representation of the value for draft picks, there are no hard-and-fast rules for what constitutes a reasonable swap. Fairness is in the eye of the beholder.

A win-win for the Jets and Kelly: The Eagles give up 2015 and 2016 first- and second-rounders for the No. 6 pick.

The Jets would get a much-needed upgrade from Geno Smith and four premium picks over the next two years to help re-shape their roster.

There’s minimal risk acquiring the 26-year-old Foles, who’s in the final year of his rookie contract.

Although Foles has drawn criticism for his lack of durability (he’s missed 10 games with three different injuries in his first three seasons), pocket awareness (he holds on to the ball too long too often) and footwork (backpedaling has become an issue), he’s clearly better than the radically inconsistent Smith.

Foles is 15-10 as a starter, including 14-5 in two seasons with Kelly, but his regression following a breakout 2013 season (27 TDs, 2 INTs) shouldn’t be completely dismissed. He had 13 turnovers in eight games this past season before suffering a season-ending broken collarbone.

If Foles thrives in Chan Gailey’s offense, the Jets could sign him to a long-term deal after this season. If he struggles in 2015, the trade would have still been the right move for the Jets given the three additional premium picks acquired to move down 14 spots this year.

Mariota’s cartoonish college numbers — 48 passing TDs, 15 rushing TDs and two INTs this season — must be put in the proper light too. Although he might blossom into an NFL star, there are fair concerns about his ability to make the necessary reads, progressions and anticipation throws in a pro-style offense. Smith, after all, had 42 TDs, six INTs and a 71.2 percent completion percentage in a spread system in his final season at West Virginia.

The Jets and Eagles sure could help each other out in a couple months.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philly will make the trade with a team before we are up to pick and we will watch it all from the sideline.  The miami win was awesome good times.

Maybe, maybe not. In terms of compensation, it's a more expensive jump to move to spots 2-5 than to 6. Each additional pick higher is significant. The only way this trade works out is if a team (at picks 2-5) badly covets Foles to be their QB beyond just 2015, meaning a contract extension. It's too much room for the Eagles to jump up with Foles only being a 1-year throw-in for them. You have to truly want Foles to be your long-term starter for a trade to work.

The other team linked to trading for Foles is the Rams, but that would only happen if we show no interest in drafting Mariotta for ourselves. Or if it's the Rams who leapfrog us so they can then trade down with the Eagles. Never seen that happen, at least not for the purpose of pulling off a blockbuster deal; it's usually a team trading down in a huge chunk and then trading back up a few spots to where they really wanted to trade down to, and pocketing the difference.

It would be a smart move. My personal feeling is that Glennon could be a better QB than Foles, but Foles is still a pretty nice option to have in our situation. 

If I had to decide on trading for my personal favorite in Glennon with a 3rd rounder or trading back and getting Foles along with a 1st and 2nd round this year and next, I'd take Foles given that the team does have to rebuild itself on many levels. 

That is a haul, specially for a qb that won't be able to play for a year. Whether or not he goes to his old coach he still need to learn route progressions and throw the ball into a much tighter window in the pros.

I don't understand Mehta reasoning that since teams drafting  3 & 4, don't have glaring needs at qb they are not trade partners? Is it because of Foles? Does he think Marriota is going to start day one or that there are no teams interested in Foles as a QB?   I would think that Philly would want to Jump Washington so to prevent the the rams from doing the deal. 

If Kelly wants to do Foles plus 2- 1sts and 2- 2nds, this is a no brainer for jet fans.  Would be even better in Sanchez left and he Marriotta out there as a rookie, assuring the jets of a top ten in 2016.

I think the trade partner is more likely Oakland. with Philly keeping Foles.  And the trade value chart has no semblance of reality for future 1st or 2nd rd pick values. If they want to trade foles to keep the comp lower they could trade Foles to the Jets, Bills, Rams maybe even the cards, browns or cowboys.

Trade Pick #6 for two #1's, two #2's and Foles in a one-or-cut-for-no-loss contract?

Where do I sign up?

No chance Philly makes this deal, but if they offered it.....my God, what a windfall.

Jets would have #1, #2, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7 in 2015 and #1, #1, #2, #2, #3, #4, etc. in 2016.

Thats how you rebuild a team.

So let me get this straight...if the kids slips to the 6th stop.....then we should NOT get this kid because the Eagles believe the kid is the answer....and of course we Jets believe that's a great idea.....and should trade the kid QB for the Eagles QB......

Sounds like another dumb ass move.

If Mariota is there when our time comes we should select him and BUILD A FREAKIN PROGRAM AROUND HIM.

How about that.

So let me get this straight...if the kids slips to the 6th stop.....then we should NOT get this kid because the Eagles believe the kid is the answer....and of course we Jets believe that's a great idea.....and should trade the kid QB for the Eagles QB......

If Mariota is there when our time comes we should select him and BUILD A FREAKIN PROGRAM AROUND HIM.

How about that.

Enjoy Kellen Clemens/Chad Pennington Mk. II then.

Be sure to come back here and Mea Culpa when he fails horribly.

Or, like most Jets Fans, you can play the "he just needs one more year" card forever, like Generations of failed-Jet-QB-Fans before you.

Hint, you don't build a Franchise around a player with clear sub-NFL passing talent.

Two #1's, Two #2's and a QB is akin to when the Saints traded an entire draft for one RB.

Insanity of epic proportions.

4 should-be-starters, giving us 4 shots at a top-rated QB in 2016 draft, plus Foles to start now, plus an extra high pick in 2015 to rebuild the flagging talent now.......vs. a single QB with questionable NFL-Level Skills whose only real claim to elite is "well, he's kinda smart".  

Mariota is the Anti-Luck.  No one, and I mean no one, but Kelly thinks he is an NFL-ready sure thing.

Some Jets Fans get exactly what they deserve, honestly.  

That is a haul, specially for a qb that won't be able to play for a year. Whether or not he goes to his old coach he still need to learn route progressions and throw the ball into a much tighter window in the pros.

I don't understand Mehta reasoning that since teams drafting 3 & 4, don't have glaring needs at qb they are not trade partners? Is it because of Foles? Does he think Marriota is going to start day one or that there are no teams interested in Foles as a QB? I would think that Philly would want to Jump Washington so to prevent the the rams from doing the deal.

If Kelly wants to do Foles plus 2- 1sts and 2- 2nds, this is a no brainer for jet fans. Would be even better in Sanchez left and he Marriotta out there as a rookie, assuring the jets of a top ten in 2016.

I think the trade partner is more likely Oakland. with Philly keeping Foles. And the trade value chart has no semblance of reality for future 1st or 2nd rd pick values. If they want to trade foles to keep the comp lower they could trade Foles to the Jets, Bills, Rams maybe even the cards, browns or cowboys.

Mariota ends up in philly he's playing this year. Foles will eventually be benched. Mariota already knows their play book.

Or, like most Jets Fans, you can play the "he just needs one more year" card forever, like Generations of failed-Jet-QB-Fans before you.

Hint, you don't build a Franchise around a player with clear sub-NFL passing talent.

Two #1's, Two #2's and a QB is akin to when the Saints traded an entire draft for one RB.

4 should-be-starters, giving us 4 shots at a top-rated QB in 2016 draft, plus Foles to start now, plus an extra high pick in 2015 to rebuild the flagging talent now.......vs. a single QB with questionable NFL-Level Skills whose only real claim to elite is "well, he's kinda smart".  

Mariota is the Anti-Luck.  No one, and I mean no one, but Kelly thinks he is an NFL-ready sure thing.

I take it as: Mariota might be able to play at a high level in the NFL and Foles has demonstrated he can. One can have an opinion as to which has the higher ceiling if this and if that (and if he works out, IF he can stay on the field as a running QB; he's still rehabbing a sprained shoulder sustained against college kids).

But throwing in that haul of extra picks -- excuse me, an extra haul of 1st and 2nd round picks? Impossible to pass on for a GM/HC/OC/QBC who never coached the kid before. I don't even agree with it for Kelly, who supposedly knows him best (but who hasn't coached him for 2 years). It's so absurd, for a team that does already have a legit NFL QB, I think it's a fantasy Kelly would offer this no matter how much he likes the kid.

Sure-thing day 1 starter, drop half a round in round 1 this year, gain an extra 2nd rounder this year, and gain extra 1st and 2nd rounder next year?

I can't believe this would seriously be offered by a team that already has a good QB, for a fingers-crossed hopes that Mariota is that significant of an upgrade.

As much as anything else I think this is Mehta trying to create a ceiling of compensation we would never get. This way, if Mariota is there at #6 and we're willing to deal the pick to Kelly, he can criticize the GM when this deal not offered to us and we take less than Mehta feels he (or a better team's GM) would have surely/effortlessly gotten.

Justification? Because Washington once destroyed their team for years with a trade so lopsided that surely the Eagles - who, unlike Washington back then, HAVE a good young QB - would mimic the stupidity of such a move.

This right here.

If Kelly wants Mariota that bad, then Kelly makes the trade with Washington, not the Jets.

No way are the Skins gonna take another QB that high!

Talk about getting lynched by the fans. Skins are more devoid of talent than the Jets. Their Dline STINKS, ARAKPO IS A FREE AGENT.

What the hell would the Skins want with Foles?

Foles is the bait hung in front of the Jets. Eagles going from 20 to the top 5 they would have to give up their entire draft.

Saying right now there is no way that happens!

Jets at 6 are sitting in the Mariota seat unless Titans aren't all in on Mettenburger.

How about that.

Because Mariotas skill set instantly fits his old coach Kelly! Kellys offense is unconventional but he's an expert at putting it together.

Markus walks in to Philly 100 times more ready to run that offense than Sanchez before him. Plus Mariota runs a 4.5 40.

Mariota is worth so much to Kelly than in is to the type of offense Chan Gailey will choose to run.

Unless Mariotta dazzles at the combine, there is not going to be the urgency to get him that is necessary for a blockbuster.  If he dazzles, he is not there at number 6, any way.  Philly can make a deal with any of a half dozen teams to move up which means I don't think you are getting anything close to what Manish suggests.

Crazy to think that Mariota is going to be available at 6.  Especially with all those meaningless wins.

I love the sound of the trade because I'm so meh on both QB's but man would I have a pit in my stomach passing on either.  This team is so desperate for a franchise QB imaging actually being in position and trading out...yikes!  Scary sh*t.

Can you share your crystal ball?

This post is kind of funny coming from you since you're strategy is to "develop" that late round pick, which basically has never happened outside of Tom Brady.

So the guy wants Mariota.   Because of that he deserves fandom misery?  Thats harsh, man.

Unless Mariotta dazzles at the combine, there is not going to be the urgency to get him that is necessary for a blockbuster.  If he dazzles, he is not there at number 6, any way.  Philly can make a deal with any of a half dozen teams to move up which means I don't think you are getting anything close to what Manish suggests.

This.  And especially if Warfish is right and nobody in the NFL outside of Chip Kelly thinks Mariota has the goods.

I take it as: Mariota might be able to play at a high level in the NFL and Foles has demonstrated he can. One can have an opinion as to which has the higher ceiling if this and if that (and if he works out, IF he can stay on the field as a running QB; he's still rehabbing a sprained shoulder sustained against college kids).

But throwing in that haul of extra picks -- excuse me, an extra haul of 1st and 2nd round picks? Impossible to pass on for a GM/HC/OC/QBC who never coached the kid before. I don't even agree with it for Kelly, who supposedly knows him best (but who hasn't coached him for 2 years). It's so absurd, for a team that does already have a legit NFL QB, I think it's a fantasy Kelly would offer this no matter how much he likes the kid.

Sure-thing day 1 starter, drop half a round in round 1 this year, gain an extra 2nd rounder this year, and gain extra 1st and 2nd rounder next year?

I can't believe this would seriously be offered by a team that already has a good QB, for a fingers-crossed hopes that Mariota is that significant of an upgrade.

I live in the Philly area.  No one and I mean no one (at least that I know) - either fans of the team or on their sports talk think Foles is any good.  Should say, they think he's okay but not someone they can win with.  Even when he was leading the league last year and when they were 6-1 this year they were bashing the guy.  

I think it's partly a Philly thing (they mostly hated McNab too) and partly that they see him play every week and know he has real limitations.  I can say this, most Eagle fans would welcome a move like this.

Mariota ends up in philly he's playing this year. Foles will eventually be benched. Mariota already knows their play book.

And philly will finish under .500 making it a windfall for what ever team trades him. What are you talking about a knowing a play book. Do you think Kelly uses the same playbook in the pros that he used in college,  Do you see signs on posterboards on the eagles sideline?  Besides being up-tempo, tell me how the two offenses are similar.

Just because marriotta is familiar with the verbiage of the playbook does not know that he can read a defense.  He comes from a one read then throw/run.   

Unless Mariotta dazzles at the combine, there is not going to be the urgency to get him that is necessary for a blockbuster. If he dazzles, he is not there at number 6, any way. Philly can make a deal with any of a half dozen teams to move up which means I don't think you are getting anything close to what Manish suggests.

Blaine Gabbert was picked 10th overall.

I live in the Philly area.  No one and I mean no one (at least that I know) - either fans of the team or on their sports talk think Foles is any good.  Should say, they think he's okay but not someone they can win with.  Even when he was leading the league last year and when they were 6-1 this year they were bashing the guy.  

I think it's partly a Philly thing (they mostly hated McNab too) and partly that they see him play every week and know he has real limitations.  I can say this, most Eagle fans would welcome a move like this.

they would welcome Trading 2 #1s and 2 #2s and a qb that theycould get a 4th for easily?

they would welcome Trading 2 #1s and 2 #2s and a qb that theycould get a 4th for easily?

What I am saying is I'm surrounded by Philly fans and most of them want MM and would be willing to give it up...Mostly what they're saying is they trust Chip...If he thinks he's worth it then give away the next two drafts.

The fact is the QB is the most important position in all of sports and if your HC/GM thinks there's one in the draft with which he can win a SB - then yes, I would give up two years drafts if it meant a franchise QB.

Archived