Mehta: Jets in place to pull off blockbuster trade.

Patriot Killa

this articleis such lazy journalism. not a surprise from Manish

don't think the Eagles are interesting in selling the farm for him... and if the ARE, they certainly aren't going to wait for the Jets, one of the teams that are a true threat to actually draft him, to be on the clock. They'll trade up to 4 or 5 and grab him then..

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Viewing Mariota from the context of what I can see within the offensive system he played in, his zip in the intermediate areas of the field is solid. I think that's important for a quarterback, and gives a sign that he's got plenty of arm strength. Generally speaking I like his ball placement as well, though sometimes he just misses. Think that's a mechanical issue, he opens up too early in his motion. But there's not a lot you can see when watching him so I am really interested to see how he throws. There's a chance that he disappoints, but I also think it's a real possibility that he's a lot more impressive than people expect.

I don't think Mariota gets enough credit for the work he does within the pocket. He's not a take off and run quarterback. What impresses me most about him is his ability to avoid a sack, keep his eyes downfield, and make a throw. He'll take 5-10 yards if there's nothing downfield and you give it to him, but I think that's plan B. And when he does run he does so intelligently and not recklessly like RGIII. There's a certain precision to the decisions he makes and the way he uses his legs as a weapon. Similar to an Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson (not comparing him to either as a passer, just the run/pass decisions that he makes).

A lot of what happens with him is going to depend on how he's developed, and that's my main concern with him going to the Jets. I've said it a few times but given mechanics aren't perfect and he needs to learn to take snaps under center, I think he could use a year of development from the sidelines. I don't think he'll get it here. But in the right situation I think he has what it takes and is better as a passer than given credit for.

Yeah, the last part is what troubles me. He's going to need a lot of work and patience. If the issues I'm seeing with his arm are due to his mechanics, tempo, etc, then he should beg to get sent to Philly because I can't see him getting any help here or in Tampa or Tennessee, for that matter. I watch these games and I just don't see where his passing is at the level of a top ten pick. I hear what you're saying about his eye level and his guts to stand in and go through progressions etc, but my concern starts when the ball leaves his hand. It looks like he has an 82 MPH fastball. It came out tonight that he's going to throw at the Combine. That'll be must-see TV for Jets fans.

Wonder what the NFL can really do if Kelly and Mariota are BSing everyone with a wink and a nod to scare off teams and make him cheaper in a trade up. Don't think Lurie and Kelly and the Iggles are going to face any flack from such a ethically-deficient Commissioner. And really if Mariota says he's hurt, who can say he isn't.

Ha. I think the machinations involved in getting Mariota to plummet down a draft board would be so convoluted that not even a mastermind like Chip Kelly could sneak it past Roger.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/02/17/philadelphia-eagles-rumors-trading-four-picks-for-mariota-too-steep-a-price/

PHILLY POST RESPONDS TO MANISH.

NFL PHILADELPHIA EAGLES Philadelphia Eagles Rumors: Trading Four Picks for Mariota Too Steep a Price

Manish Mehta, writer for the New York Daily News, wrote early Tuesday morning on the likelihood of the Philadelphia Eagles and New York Jets agreeing on a trade that would result in Marcus Mariota playing for the Eagles in 2015. The fair compensation for the Jets’ No. 6 pick, and what Mehta describes as a “win-win” for both teams, would be Philadelphia’s first and second-round picks in both the 2015 and 2016 drafts.

The 2014 Heisman Trophy winner very well may end up becoming a great NFL quarterback, but that bounty of picks is simply too hefty a price to be a worthwhile move for Philadelphia. Mehta discusses the 2012 trade between the St. Louis Rams and Washington Redskins that sent Robert Griffin III to our nation’s capital as being the loose framework for this proposed Mariota trade to work around.

The Redskins sent three first-round picks and a second-rounder to St. Louis, and I think we all know how that has turned out for Washington. The loss of those four Day 1 and Day 2 picks has destroyed the Redskins’ depth. By going all-in on Griffin III, the rest of the roster was depleted. No matter how Griffin, or any other quarterback played, the team had little chance to win.

Eagles coach Chip Kelly never misses a chance to shower praise on his formerOregon quarterback. So yes, of course he’d love to have Mariota on his team, but then again, every coach would. He’s a perfect fit for the high-tempo offense, and his learning curve wouldn’t be as steep as your prototypical rookie quarterback, but trading your first two picks for two-straight years is a risk Kelly and the Eagles should not take. There’s not one argument you could make to convince me trading those picks for any player is smart. If it’s for a once in a generation type of talent, then sure, but I hope we can all agree Mariota hasn’t proven to be quite at that level.

I’m not saying the Eagles shouldn’t try to move up from the No. 20 spot up to No. 6 to draft Mariota if he’s still on the board, just not for the price outlined by Mehta. It’s a cliché, but it’s also true, football really is a team sport. Take a look at Andrew Luck and theIndianapolis Colts. An elite franchise quarterback playing on an otherwise mediocre team will not get the job done, and by no indications is Mariota the type of player Luck is. You could even look at this year’s Super Bowl champions. How did Tom Brady and theNew England Patriots fare in the playoffs the past few years until the defense was strengthened this last offseason?

If Kelly and the Eagles want to build a long-term contender, the foundation needs to be built through the draft. Trading away four early draft picks and potential stars for an unproven quarterback has the potential to set the franchise back years. Don’t gamble this time Coach Kelly, not at this price.

I think Kelly moves up for Mariota, I just think it's not going to be us.  I see the Titans as the best case scenario for this trade up, because they can take Nick Foles back in the deal and actually value him.   Whisenhunt loves tall QBs with strong arms, and Foles fits great in that aspect.  The only reason why he may not trade with Philly is if they can find a QB in free agency (namely Bradford) or trade for Cutler (Cutler went to Vanderbilt in Nashville) first though.  Otherwise it's a perfect fit for the trade, assuming TB picks Winston.  Titans have ton of holes, which can be addressed by the picks, especially the two first round picks.   

If we get offered the deal, I do think we should take it for sure.  The trade value chart comes close at around 2 firsts and a second I believe, but maybe Kelly is adamant on Mariota enough to overpay.  He absolutely goes out of his way to praise the kid, and I think his desire to move up in the draft and be willing to overpay was the reason they had front office troubles this offseason.

Edit:  Since I hate Mehta, he's just setting lofty goals so a reasonable trade looks like a letdown and he can rip the new GM.  I see through this Manish!!   

For those saying Philly won't wait for the 6th pick but will trade with Tenn. whats the value chart say?  Its a huge diffrence between trading for the 6th pick and trading for the 2nd pick.

2nd pick worth 2600

6th pick worth 1600

thats 1000 diffrence,  thats a number 16 pick diffrence.   So its more then a extra 1st round pick extra for the 2nd pick. 

So if Jets would receive 1st, 2nd in 2015 and 1st 2016 and Foles

Tenn would receive 1st, 2nd in 2015, 1st, 2nd 2016, 1st 2017 and Foles

and thats why Chip wont trade with Tenn and can't go much high then 6. 

For those saying Philly won't wait for the 6th pick but will trade with Tenn. whats the value chart say?  Its a huge diffrence between trading for the 6th pick and trading for the 2nd pick.

2nd pick worth 2600

6th pick worth 1600

thats 1000 diffrence,  thats a number 16 pick diffrence.   So its more then a extra 1st round pick extra for the 2nd pick. 

So if Jets would receive 1st, 2nd in 2015 and 1st 2016 and Foles

Tenn would receive 1st, 2nd in 2015, 1st, 2nd 2016, 1st 2017 and Foles

and thats why Chip wont trade with Tenn and can't go much high then 6. 

The value chart isn't in the rule books it's just a guide for the potential value of a deal.

If Tenn. didn't want Mariotta and they were offered 2 firsts and 2 seconds (regardless of the value chart) they almost certainly make that deal.  

The Jaguars, Raiders, and Washington, the next three teams on the board, don’t have glaring needs at quarterback, setting the stage for a Jets-Eagles swap.

Why wouldn't any one of these three teams try to make the deal with Philly? Obviously, Mehta was thinking only in terms of the Jets possible moves, but these guys could all prosper from such a trade as well. If Mariota falls to Jets, yes trade his pick by all means, but Nick Foles has to be part of the deal. As well as Eagles number one and possibly a third rounder.

I can't believe this much effort is being put into a Mehta BS article. If Mariota throws well at the combine he definitely won't be there at 6, he will do great in the interviews the 40 and the rest of the combine testing. If Philly is willing to give up that many picks for Mariota to trade up to #2 they will regret it for years to come.

Unless some trusted mentor coach has convinced him that the $3M less he'll make on the first 3 years of a rookie contract will be dwarfed by what his 2nd contract will be worth if he's playing in Philly instead of Cleveland.

The contract amount from top 5 and 20th is probably less then half. I don't see any way in which anyone would view this is a good decision

Has any of these move back for lots of picks trades ever backfired? 

I can't think of any.

Must be a young Jet fan. because how can anyone forget Bill Parcells trying to be Jimmy Johnson during the draft, and failing miserable. He kept trading back , and teams kept picking the guy he was targeted. He settled oNJames Farrior who didn't fit the scheme the Jets were playing, Had a very good career with the Steelers.

Must be a young Jet fan. because how can anyone forget Bill Parcells trying to be Jimmy Johnson during the draft, and failing miserable. He kept trading back , and teams kept picking the guy he was targeted. He settled oNJames Farrior who didn't fit the scheme the Jets were playing, Had a very good career with the Steelers.

Km not talking about that. I'm talking about RGIII type trades.

Km not talking about that. I'm talking about RGIII type trades.

You mean where you get a ton for #2 overall instead of the crap we got for #1? Not getting Orlando Pace, and then not getting Walter Jones to get Farrior who did not start for years seems like a backfire to me.  Unless you really love Dedric Ward and Steve Rosga and the like.

You mean where you get a ton for #2 overall instead of the crap we got for #1? Not getting Orlando Pace, and then not getting Walter Jones to get Farrior who did not start for years seems like a backfire to me. Unless you really love Dedric Ward and Steve Rosga and the like.

Isn't the difference here that parcels kept trading back?

You mean where you get a ton for #2 overall instead of the crap we got for #1? Not getting Orlando Pace, and then not getting Walter Jones to get Farrior who did not start for years seems like a backfire to me.  Unless you really love Dedric Ward and Steve Rosga and the like.

Wow I had forgotten all about that; thanks for just ruining the rest of my day.

Isn't the difference here that parcels kept trading back?

Eh.  Even if he didn't trade back he would have gotten a 3rd and 4th to trade Pace for Jones.

" The Jets decided to not draft Pace and instead get a bounty of players that ended up being: LB James Farrior, WR Dedric Ward, RB Leon Johnson, DT Jason Ferguson, DE Terry Day, QB Chuck Clements, and TE Lawrence Hart."

I think they would have ended up with Jones, Ward and Day for Orlando Pace.  Not horrible, but fairly lame if you ask me.  Especially since Farrior was not at all suited to OLB and didn't do anything until Parcells left.

The contract amount from top 5 and 20th is probably less then half. I don't see any way in which anyone would view this is a good decision

First, I'm not suggesting this is at all likely.

Second, if he really started to fall, I doubt Kelly would wait to see if he fell all the way to 20. If he even fell to 10 it seems Kelly would be all over it. It's barely 1m per season difference for Mariota. The purpose, in this imaginary scenario, would be to make more long term, not to match over the first few years alone.

Say the first 4 years is a difference of even $10m. The theory is he'd make that up in no time on contract #2 if stayed by Kelly over say Cleveland.

First, I'm not suggesting this is at all likely.

Second, if he really started to fall, I doubt Kelly would wait to see if he fell all the way to 20. If he even fell to 10 it seems Kelly would be all over it. It's barely 1m per season difference for Mariota. The purpose, in this imaginary scenario, would be to make more long term, not to match over the first few years alone.

Say the first 4 years is a difference of even $10m. The theory is he'd make that up in no time on contract #2 if stayed by Kelly over say Cleveland.

Injury, Kelly leaving, him sucking.. a lot to risk to even consider it imo

If this trade happens with our cap space, these draft picks, and the best free agency in 15 years there is no reason we should not only be in the playoffs, but we should hammer the Patriots this year.  I, for the first time in many years, am excited for this coming season.

Enjoy Kellen Clemens/Chad Pennington Mk. II then.

Be sure to come back here and Mea Culpa when he fails horribly.

Or, like most Jets Fans, you can play the "he just needs one more year" card forever, like Generations of failed-Jet-QB-Fans before you.

Hint, you don't build a Franchise around a player with clear sub-NFL passing talent.

Two #1's, Two #2's and a QB is akin to when the Saints traded an entire draft for one RB.

Insanity of epic proportions.

4 should-be-starters, giving us 4 shots at a top-rated QB in 2016 draft, plus Foles to start now, plus an extra high pick in 2015 to rebuild the flagging talent now.......vs. a single QB with questionable NFL-Level Skills whose only real claim to elite is "well, he's kinda smart".  

Mariota is the Anti-Luck.  No one, and I mean no one, but Kelly thinks he is an NFL-ready sure thing.

Some Jets Fans get exactly what they deserve, honestly.  

You were probably the same dude saying Peyton to the Jets was a bad move too...right.....give me a break...

Because Mariotas skill set instantly fits his old coach Kelly! Kellys offense is unconventional but he's an expert at putting it together.

Markus walks in to Philly 100 times more ready to run that offense than Sanchez before him. Plus Mariota runs a 4.5 40.

Mariota is worth so much to Kelly than in is to the type of offense Chan Gailey will choose to run.

I get that, but an offense is built around your QB's skill set...I get the draft choices etc....but this just sounds like another draft day bone head move by the Jets....and we have had a lot of those.

Archived