Mehta: Jets in place to pull off blockbuster trade.

Patriot Killa

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed on the franchise guy aspect. I just personally don't believe he is, and I'm curious to see where he ends up being drafted when the smoke clears. I can't imagine that his arm strength and accuracy won't be exposed over the next few weeks. As for his mobility, I don't factor that in because it gets largely nullified when they get to the pros, either through scheme of injury. I look at the struggles of Kaepernick and RGIII, for instance, when the run option was taken away from them. I think Mariota is going to have to prove, really quickly, that he can beat you from the pocket. I don't think he can.

As for the 2016 class, also agreed, it wasn't 12 months ago when people had Bryce Petty as a top ten pick. That said, others rise to the top, as well. My hope (belief) is that desperation won't factor into Maccagnan'sMaccagnan's decision here and he takes Mariota or Winston solely because of positional scarcity.

Suspedt he will look to move down, get more picks, sign a cheap vet and also hope to get lucky with Petty or someone else in rounds 2 through 4. Smith is not the plan nor should he be

I don't think Kelly is that high on Foles. I also don't think he is going to give up 2 drafts to move up to get Mariota. There are a lot of QB's out there out there from spread O's.

A third party trade for RGIII makes more sense if Kelly wants to get cute

Kelly and the eagles FO have seen enough of Foles he's not the answer. Even with a great supporting cast, desean Jackson and an offense that defensive play callers hadn't figured out yet Foles still couldn't win a playoff game and he regressed last year before getting hurt.

Mariota is definitely on their brain definitely more than Robert Griffin the Turd

Watch Mariota tank the combine or his pro day so he falls to easier/closer reaching distance of Philly's pick. Most players would never risk such a thing, in case that target team changes its mind. But if he's truly that close with Kelly...

I wonder if that's the thought process behind not throwing at the Combine.

Suspedt he will look to move down, get more picks, sign a cheap vet and also hope to get lucky with Petty or someone else in rounds 2 through 4. Smith is not the plan nor should he be

Were I a betting man, I'd throw a few shekels behind the proposition that Geno gets at least six starts in 2015. I just don't see how/where they produce a viable alternative at this point.

I don't know. I don't think Oakland will do it. They want Cooper.

Besides, if we lost the Dolphins game, we would only move up 1 pick.

Jmo Of course the Raiders would make that trade with the Eagles. They might like A Cooper better ,but to get more picks, and still come awaywith a talented Wr is a win - win situation.

I wonder if that's the thought process behind not throwing at the Combine.

In an article from almost a month ago:

"Right now we're still making that decision, whether to throw at the combine. I had to kinda rest about a week-and-a-half," Mariota said, according to staradvertiser.com. "I sprained the AC (shoulder) joint. But now, I'm able to throw. Feels good."

In an article from almost a month ago:

"Right now we're still making that decision, whether to throw at the combine. I had to kinda rest about a week-and-a-half," Mariota said, according to staradvertiser.com. "I sprained the AC (shoulder) joint. But now, I'm able to throw. Feels good."

The report this morning was that he was "thinking about throwing." It'd be a mistake, especially if he's in a group with Winston and Hundley.

The report this morning was that he was "thinking about throwing." It'd be a mistake, especially if he's in a group with Winston and Hundley.

He was able to throw weeks ago.

It gives the appearance that he's not throwing now because scouts will have an apples to apples comparison and it won't be favorable. Much safer to do it at a pro day when he's the only one tossing it.

We'll see. He may yet decide to throw.

Couple of thoughts on this.

Any comparison to the RGIII trade is not fair. That was viewed as two QB draft like this one, but the two QB's were going 1 and 2. That isn't the case in this draft if Mariota falls to 6.

these QBs are going one and two. The whole "Zach Mettenberger is amazing" isn't really a thing

these QBs are going one and two. The whole "Zach Mettenberger is amazing" isn't really a thing

I could see it happening, but let's not pretend this is the same as that draft. Luck was basically a lock to go #1 the whole way and RGIII was viewed as a guy who'd go #1 almost any other year. At this point we've got people predicting Winston #1 pending how he checks out off the field and people think Mariota's going to fall. Not apples to apples.

Agreed on the franchise guy aspect. I just personally don't believe he is, and I'm curious to see where he ends up being drafted when the smoke clears. I can't imagine that his arm strength and accuracy won't be exposed over the next few weeks. As for his mobility, I don't factor that in because it gets largely nullified when they get to the pros, either through scheme or injury. I look at the struggles of Kaepernick and RGIII, for instance, when the run option was taken away from them. I think Mariota is going to have to prove, really quickly, that he can beat you from the pocket. I don't think he can.

As for the 2016 class, also agreed, it wasn't 12 months ago when people had Bryce Petty as a top ten pick. That said, others rise to the top, as well. My hope (belief) is that desperation won't factor into Maccagnan'sMaccagnan's decision here and he takes Mariota or Winston solely because of positional scarcity.

Viewing Mariota from the context of what I can see within the offensive system he played in, his zip in the intermediate areas of the field is solid. I think that's important for a quarterback, and gives a sign that he's got plenty of arm strength. Generally speaking I like his ball placement as well, though sometimes he just misses. Think that's a mechanical issue, he opens up too early in his motion. But there's not a lot you can see when watching him so I am really interested to see how he throws. There's a chance that he disappoints, but I also think it's a real possibility that he's a lot more impressive than people expect.

I don't think Mariota gets enough credit for the work he does within the pocket. He's not a take off and run quarterback. What impresses me most about him is his ability to avoid a sack, keep his eyes downfield, and make a throw. He'll take 5-10 yards if there's nothing downfield and you give it to him, but I think that's plan B. And when he does run he does so intelligently and not recklessly like RGIII. There's a certain precision to the decisions he makes and the way he uses his legs as a weapon. Similar to an Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson (not comparing him to either as a passer, just the run/pass decisions that he makes).

A lot of what happens with him is going to depend on how he's developed, and that's my main concern with him going to the Jets. I've said it a few times but given mechanics aren't perfect and he needs to learn to take snaps under center, I think he could use a year of development from the sidelines. I don't think he'll get it here. But in the right situation I think he has what it takes and is better as a passer than given credit for.

''''' The Eagles give up 2015 and 2016 first- and second-rounder's for the No. 6 pick.''''' Plus Foles????????

I don't get this nonsense being thrown around.  If I'm trading Foles in the deal I swap 1st rounder's "maybe".... and that's it.

Personally I would not even make that deal but I am trying to think like Kelly who apparently wants Mariota over Foles.

If we had Foles we'd be claiming he's worth a 1st rounder.

Mehta's deal is insane.

Watch Mariota tank the combine or his pro day so he falls to easier/closer reaching distance of Philly's pick. Most players would never risk such a thing, in case that target team changes its mind. But if he's truly that close with Kelly...

and cost himself millions?

I thought the rep was that he's smart ?

So let me get this straight...if the kids slips to the 6th stop.....then we should NOT get this kid because the Eagles believe the kid is the answer....and of course we Jets believe that's a great idea.....and should trade the kid QB for the Eagles QB......

Sounds like another dumb ass move.

If Mariota is there when our time comes we should select him and BUILD A FREAKIN PROGRAM AROUND HIM.

How about that.

You my friend are typical Jets fan!!!

Weren't we right about Kyle being better than Sapp! Or Obrien being better than Marino?

Why do you worry so much? You mean you don't trust to over think the situation.

Wonder what the NFL can really do if Kelly and Mariota are BSing everyone with a wink and a nod to scare off teams and make him cheaper in a trade up. Don't think Lurie and Kelly and the Iggles are going to face any flack from such a ethically-deficient Commissioner. And really if Mariota says he's hurt, who can say he isn't. 

Mehta is on the right track.  But Philly pick this year isn't high enough, and there is no telling whether it will

be any better next year (esp. for Mariota.)  If we do this trade with Chicago, we will be set.  Foles is a decent QB

but I don't trust his durability. 

So let me get this straight...if the kids slips to the 6th stop.....then we should NOT get this kid because the Eagles believe the kid is the answer....and of course we Jets believe that's a great idea.....and should trade the kid QB for the Eagles QB......

Sounds like another dumb ass move.

If Mariota is there when our time comes we should select him and BUILD A FREAKIN PROGRAM AROUND HIM.

How about that.

Build a program?  If you make a trade like that, that is the program.  Start filling in the names of who you can get with those picks and you'd quickly find with the balance of our picks  that would be a complete transformation of our offense and defense.  We'd be chock full of young up and coming stars in areas that are weaknesses now. 

Personally I wouldn't mind the Jets trading back with Philly if they can get this year's and next year's 1st, plus a 2nd or two......but they better be sure as hell that Mariotta is NOT the answer to our QB issues......cause that position is just too damn valuable to pass up the chance to get a good one regardless what another team may offer for him.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Personally I wouldn't mind the Jets trading back with Philly if they can get this year's and next year's 1st, plus a 2nd or two......but they better be sure as hell that Mariotta is NOT the answer to our QB issues......cause that position is just too damn valuable to pass up the chance to get a good one regardless what another team may offer for him.

Eh, St. Louis was pretty sure about RGIII. And he came in with no questions of falling to 6th, he was going 1 or 2 the whole time. 

Eh, St. Louis was pretty sure about RGIII. And he came in with no questions of falling to 6th, he was going 1 or 2 the whole time.

Yeah St Louis was in a different position as us though cause they had Bradford, despite the injury issues he still was a top overall pick just a few years back, plus RGIII seemed more like a "sure thing" than Mariotta does.

St Louis did get a hell of a deal for RGIII, but at that time I would not of traded back with Washington despite having Bradford because he was still a question mark due to injuries , plus RGIII seemed destined to become a great QB (I personally would of taken RGIII and traded Bradford to the highest bidder at the time). Looking back now STL definitely got the better end of that deal, but hindsight is 20/20 and anytime I have the chance to get a franchise QB I take it regardless of what I'm offered.

The question the Jets front office needs to answer first though, is Mariotta a Franchise QB? And that's of course if he is even still available at 6 when draft day comes...

We'd HAVE to make that trade. Our roster is still so weak compared to the elite (or even good) teams in the league. Needs at CB, LB, OLB, LG, RG, RT, QB, WR, and the list goes on. Regarding Foles, I'd take him, but would just consider him a stop-gap. He can't carry a team, and isn't hoisting the Lombardi Trophy in any situation.

If a trade offer isn't there, we should take Mariotta. Expectations for the team will be low going into the season, and he can sit the 2015 season without pressure from the (majority of) fanbase. We have to stop rushing young QB's into a starting role. Block out the noise and do what's best for the future of the franchise.

Archived