Mehta: Jets in place to pull off blockbuster trade.

Patriot Killa

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if Philly is willing to sell their future for Mariota, I can't see why they would wait till 6.   Washington could easily take him.  Plus it's very possible that Macc loves Mariota and thinks he's the next great QB.   

IMO if Kelly is going to make a move, he goes to the Raiders

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-jets-place-pull-blockbuster-draft-trade-article-1.2117943

For once... I agree with the little guy.

Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan is positioned to pull off a smart, blockbuster, draft-day trade thanks to a fast-talkin’, smoothie-lovin’ offensive guru 90 miles down the road who can’t wait to land the quarterback of his dreams.

Eagles head coach Chip Kelly’s yearning for Oregon star Marcus Mariota could pave the way for a mutually beneficial deal that would upgrade the Jets at quarterback and provide premium picks to help rebuild a wayward franchise.

On the surface, a deal between the Jets and Eagles makes plenty of sense if Mariota is available when Maccagnan & Co. are on the clock with the No. 6 overall pick on April 30. Upon closer inspection, it’s the ultimate no-brainer unless the Jets brass is in starry-eyed love with the Heisman Trophy winner.

Florida State’s Jameis Winston is the favorite to be the Buccaneers’ top overall selection. Although the Titans have quarterback concerns, Mariota isn’t the prototypical, pro-style signal-caller for head coach Ken Whisenhunt’s system. GM Ruston Weber’s recent praise of 2014 sixth-rounder Zach Mettenberger makes it likely that Tennessee will pass on Mariota with the No. 2 pick.

The Jaguars, Raiders, and Washington, the next three teams on the board, don’t have glaring needs at quarterback, setting the stage for a Jets-Eagles swap.

What’s fair compensation?

The Rams and Washington provided a loose framework three years ago in a trade centering on a star college quarterback. Washington gave up three first-round picks (2012-2014) and a 2012 second-round pick to move up from the No. 6 to No. 2 to land Robert Griffin III.

Kelly, who now has complete personnel control after an offseason organizational shakeup, isn’t nearly as desperate as then-Washington head coach Mike Shanahan was to find a franchise quarterback. Washington’s three quarterbacks in the two seasons before the trade — Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman and John Beck — were a combined 11-21 for a pair of last-place teams.

The Eagles have had 10-win seasons, including a playoff appearance, in Kelly’s first two years. It’s unlikely that he’d sell the farm for the dual-threat quarterback, but he’d almost certainly put together the most attractive deal for Mariota, who would have a minimal learning curve in an offense run by his former college coach.

“He might be the fastest guy on the field, but his mind is even faster,” Kelly said before Oregon’s National Championship game against Ohio State last month. “(He) thinks like Peyton Manning.”

Not coincidentally, Kelly has never doled out such effusive praise for Eagles starter Nick Foles, who would be the ideal bargaining chip in a potential trade. Kelly would prefer to use Foles to supplement (and thus lighten) the draft-pick compensation package needed to move up for Mariota, who might not throw at the scouting combine this week due to a sprained right shoulder suffered in the National Championship game.

Although the trade value chart devised by Jimmy Johnson in the 1990s provides a numerical representation of the value for draft picks, there are no hard-and-fast rules for what constitutes a reasonable swap. Fairness is in the eye of the beholder.

A win-win for the Jets and Kelly: The Eagles give up 2015 and 2016 first- and second-rounders for the No. 6 pick.

The Jets would get a much-needed upgrade from Geno Smith and four premium picks over the next two years to help re-shape their roster.

There’s minimal risk acquiring the 26-year-old Foles, who’s in the final year of his rookie contract.

Although Foles has drawn criticism for his lack of durability (he’s missed 10 games with three different injuries in his first three seasons), pocket awareness (he holds on to the ball too long too often) and footwork (backpedaling has become an issue), he’s clearly better than the radically inconsistent Smith.

Foles is 15-10 as a starter, including 14-5 in two seasons with Kelly, but his regression following a breakout 2013 season (27 TDs, 2 INTs) shouldn’t be completely dismissed. He had 13 turnovers in eight games this past season before suffering a season-ending broken collarbone.

If Foles thrives in Chan Gailey’s offense, the Jets could sign him to a long-term deal after this season. If he struggles in 2015, the trade would have still been the right move for the Jets given the three additional premium picks acquired to move down 14 spots this year.

Mariota’s cartoonish college numbers — 48 passing TDs, 15 rushing TDs and two INTs this season — must be put in the proper light too. Although he might blossom into an NFL star, there are fair concerns about his ability to make the necessary reads, progressions and anticipation throws in a pro-style offense. Smith, after all, had 42 TDs, six INTs and a 71.2 percent completion percentage in a spread system in his final season at West Virginia.

The Jets and Eagles sure could help each other out in a couple months.

This would make a lot of sense except that nothing that Mehta has ever predicted has ever happened.  Also, Kelly might love the guy, but he's not going to give up more than the draft chart would require, and he could always trade with one of the 2-5 teams.  But I would love to get all those picks.

I know this is pre combine pre free agency pre draft silly season and every talking head and beat writer are expressing their expert opinions, but I don't see Mariota falling to 6 no way that happens. I don't see Philly moving all the way up to 6 from 20! I can see if Mariota fell out of the top 10 which he won't, not that I like Mariota but some teams are going to want to take a shot at him no doubt. I would be shocked if he made it to 5 and if he does I think the Skins would take him at 5 depending on what happens in free agency of course. Mehta and all these parasites r just stirring up sh*t. Just my opinion.

Kelly doesn't actually want Mariota. He's creating demand to drive up the price of his old buddy Marcus.

If he's willing to trade multiple firsts to get him, guess what, every team before 6 is going to be interested in that deal

I don't know what Kelly is thinking but I completely agree that there's no way he gets to 6.

If there's a deal like that on the table (and they don't want the QB) why wouldn't any of the teams above us - other than the Bucs - take it?

Kelly doesn't actually want Mariota. He's creating demand to drive up the price of his old buddy Marcus.

If he's willing to trade multiple firsts to get him, guess what, every team before 6 is going to be interested in that deal

Kelly seems to value Mariota a lot more than most, however.

Couple of thoughts on this.

Any comparison to the RGIII trade is not fair. That was viewed as two QB draft like this one, but the two QB's were going 1 and 2. That isn't the case in this draft if Mariota falls to 6.

Also interesting to look at the RGIII trade in retrospect. The Rams were clear winners since Griffin appears to be a bust. But as much as that trade helped them to rebuild, they're still not a legitimate contender because they don't have a quarterback. And now they're not in a great position to get a franchise QB. Maybe this draft they make a move for one. It'll be interesting to see how the fortunes of those two franchises play out in the future.

The trade proposed heavily favors the Jets on the value chart. It's interesting because you can look at it from two standpoints. If the Eagles are willing to give up that much to move up that high, why wouldn't they offer it to a team ahead of the Jets? On the flip side, Oakland and Jacksonville have young QB's so Foles doesn't really add a whole lot and I doubt they want to offer that deal to division rival Washington. If it gets them up to two then maybe they go for it, but I'd guess Tennessee doesn't bite since for them the value isn't nearly as good as for the Jets and the Eagles would probably have to throw in more. Foles is just a throw in for the Eagles in this scenario but really only has value to the Jets.

To put how heavily that trade favors the Jets into context, that proposed deal is more than enough to get the Eagles up to 4 without including Foles. And a rebuilding Oakland team probably takes that in a heartbeat. The two ones and one two without Foles is more than enough to get up to 6 on the chart. If the Eagles are comfortable standing pat until six, they're probably not desperate for Foles or they're really playing poker. A first, two seconds, and Foles puts Foles' value at a third round pick and might be realistic. Or a first and a second this year and a second and a third next year plus Foles puts Foles' value at an early fourth round pick and might be a nice middle ground. But the proposed trade by Mehta is extremely unrealistic IMO.

Finally, moving down in the draft is always viewed positively. But the Jets need a franchise QB. Everyone seems to hate the idea of taking Mariota right now, but he's got some really appealing traits. I'm curious to see him throw, but he does a nice job keeping his eyes downfield when moving out of or around in the pocket, throws on the run well, and flashes good zip and placement in intermediate areas of the field. His deep ball is a question to me, he throws to open receivers a lot, and I think he needs a little bit of mechanical work, but he really flashes some impressive traits as a passer. On top of that he's got a reputation for having top notch intangibles, being intelligent, and working hard. And then there's the athleticism. He could be a really, really good NFL quarterback. I'd feel good about picking up extra picks, but passing on Mariota would make me a little uneasy too, at least as of right now. Maybe less so if he does a terrible job with deep throws at his pro day since I haven't seen him do that a lot at Oregon - though I think he has the arm to do it well. Let's not forget how important the QB position is in the NFL before we all get excited to pass on a potential franchise guy.

I'm honestly starting to believe this board hates qbs. We now have a topic fantazing about how we can get out of drafting Mariota. Seriously, and I thought last year was bad with all the Bridgewater small hand jokes and the Carr sucks against USC bullsh*t that was getting pandered around here. It's like you guys are content with having sh*tty qbs.

I'm honestly starting to believe this board hates qbs. We now have a topic fantazing about how we can get out of drafting Mariota. Seriously, and I thought last year was bad with all the Bridgewater small hand jokes and the Carr sucks against USC bullsh*t that was getting pandered around here. It's like you guys are content with having sh*tty qbs.

Not all that shocking if people just don't think he's that good.  It's  a QB driven  league...if Mariota is as good as some people are saying then he will not get past no. 2.  If he falls to six, and somebody like Cleveland doesn't use their multiple first rounders to trade up for him after working with him extensively before the combine, then why shouldn't other teams pass on him?  I wanted Mariota pretty bad when I heard people talking about him early in the season.  Now that I've watched a bunch of  his games there are enough questions about him that I'd be fine if the Jets took a pass.  If they take him at six so  he can sit for a couple years and learn, so be it.

Couple of thoughts on this.

Any comparison to the RGIII trade is not fair. That was viewed as two QB draft like this one, but the two QB's were going 1 and 2. That isn't the case in this draft if Mariota falls to 6.

Also interesting to look at the RGIII trade in retrospect. The Rams were clear winners since Griffin appears to be a bust. But as much as that trade helped them to rebuild, they're still not a legitimate contender because they don't have a quarterback. And now they're not in a great position to get a franchise QB. Maybe this draft they make a move for one. It'll be interesting to see how the fortunes of those two franchises play out in the future.

The trade proposed heavily favors the Jets on the value chart. It's interesting because you can look at it from two standpoints. If the Eagles are willing to give up that much to move up that high, why wouldn't they offer it to a team ahead of the Jets? On the flip side, Oakland and Jacksonville have young QB's so Foles doesn't really add a whole lot and I doubt they want to offer that deal to division rival Washington. If it gets them up to two then maybe they go for it, but I'd guess Tennessee doesn't bite since for them the value isn't nearly as good as for the Jets and the Eagles would probably have to throw in more. Foles is just a throw in for the Eagles in this scenario but really only has value to the Jets.

To put how heavily that trade favors the Jets into context, that proposed deal is more than enough to get the Eagles up to 4 without including Foles. And a rebuilding Oakland team probably takes that in a heartbeat. The two ones and one two without Foles is more than enough to get up to 6 on the chart. If the Eagles are comfortable standing pat until six, they're probably not desperate for Foles or they're really playing poker. A first, two seconds, and Foles puts Foles' value at a third round pick and might be realistic. Or a first and a second this year and a second and a third next year plus Foles puts Foles' value at an early fourth round pick and might be a nice middle ground. But the proposed trade by Mehta is extremely unrealistic IMO.

Finally, moving down in the draft is always viewed positively. But the Jets need a franchise QB. Everyone seems to hate the idea of taking Mariota right now, but he's got some really appealing traits. I'm curious to see him throw, but he does a nice job keeping his eyes downfield when moving out of or around in the pocket, throws on the run well, and flashes good zip and placement in intermediate areas of the field. His deep ball is a question to me, he throws to open receivers a lot, and I think he needs a little bit of mechanical work, but he really flashes some impressive traits as a passer. On top of that he's got a reputation for having top notch intangibles, being intelligent, and working hard. And then there's the athleticism. He could be a really, really good NFL quarterback. I'd feel good about picking up extra picks, but passing on Mariota would make me a little uneasy too, at least as of right now. Maybe less so if he does a terrible job with deep throws at his pro day since I haven't seen him do that a lot at Oregon - though I think he has the arm to do it well. Let's not forget how important the QB position is in the NFL before we all get excited to pass on a potential franchise guy.

All good points, but passing on Mariota (obviously) isn't the end of getting a QB. Next year, you can get a better look at Connor Cook, Hackenberg, or Cardale Jones, each of whom might be better passers than Mariota right now. Maccagnan should feel no desperation to reach even a little bit unless he's 100% sold on the idea of Mariota.

I'm sure the Jets are hard at work looking at Mariota film & talking to Chan to see what type of system you would run if you picked him.

Mariota is worth so much more to Chip Kelly.

It's a no brainer! In the NFL do you realize how dangerous Mariota is doing read option with Shady McCoy?

RG3 had an amazing rookie year running pretty much the stuff that Kelly does but at a much slower pace under Shanahan.

It's only the Titans between Mariota & the Jets.

Pick #20 is a long way back for those top 3 after Tampa Bay!

No way in hell Philly trades with Skins! Plus Kelly knows damn well Raiders & Jags aren't taking another high QB so why would he give up the farm there?

A trade has to benefit both teams & dangling Foles, a "pocket passer" which is not Kellys STYLE is the carrot that might entice the Jets.

I think the Jets will fill their most glaring holes in free agency

The draft no matter how it plays out will be BPA other than safety, TE, guard, DT, DE.

That leaves Tackle, WR, RB, LBs, CBs.

I mean if this trade can happen I'm all for it but I don't think we get both second rounders, which even if we get this year/next 1st rounders a second for this year or next year and nick foles ill be happy...we can patch up two holes (take a corner maybe the guy from LSU his name escapes me) in the roster with one pick which would be awesome

All good points, but passing on Mariota (obviously) isn't the end of getting a QB. Next year, you can get a better look at Connor Cook, Hackenberg, or Cardale Jones, each of whom might be better passers than Mariota right now. Maccagnan should feel no desperation to reach even a little bit unless he's 100% sold on the idea of Mariota.

Agree it's not the end of getting a QB. That said, every year people talk about the QB's who will be available next year and a chunk of them amount to nothing. Cook wilts when he's pressured, Hackenberg was awful this year, and Jones may not even be starting for Ohio State next year. Plus if Bowles comes in and improves things, the Jets won't have a shot at a top QB next year.

Obviously you don't take a QB if you don't like him. But the flip side of that is that if they think Mariota is a franchise guy, then they should take him. That's pretty much the golden rule of the draft - if you think a franchise guy is sitting there, don't pass him up.

And while I get what you're getting at with the 100% sold thing, I don't think that's entirely accurate (but also because I tend to think in probabilities). I'm sure the Redskins were "100% sold" on RGIII, and then that blew up in their face. The draft is basically entirely a grey area, there's no black and white about it. If any team believes Mariota (or any given quarterback) is a good scheme and off the field fit and they can develop him into a franchise QB, they should take him.

Not sure it came through in the last post, but I do think Mariota's traits as a passer get underrated because he's a good athlete. You're talking about a completely different guy from Hundley even though they have similar physical traits because Mariota navigates through trash well, keeps his eyes up, and uses his mobility to pass instead of just taking off at the first sign of pressure. Yeah he runs too, but he's a pretty smart runner. There are questions, but I think there's enough there that he needs to be seriously considered at 6 whereas everybody here seems to want to pass on him. But I'd want him to sit for a year (which I don't think happens in New York). On the flip side, Gailey has run wide open stuff in the past and Mariota would fit in there nicely.

I still think Mariota goes to Tampa at 1, I know that Tampa OC runs a system that Winston would be a better fit in. I just don't seeTampa taking Winston at 1 with his off the field issues. I don't see why the Redskins wouldn't take a QB either, I doubt they rely on Cousins as their starter.

I still think Mariota goes to Tampa at 1, I know that Tampa OC runs a system that Winston would be a better fit in. I just don't seeTampa taking Winston at 1 with his off the field issues. I don't see why the Redskins wouldn't take a QB either, I doubt they rely on Cousins as their starter.

I’ve heard that coach Lovie Smith prefers Winston over Oregon’s Marcus Mariota. When Smith chose Dirk Koetter as the Bucs’ offensive coordinator over Marc Trestman, the logic was simple. Although Smith and Trestman have similar philosophies about how to run an offense, they disagreed on the quarterbacks. Trestman preferred Mariota.

Smith favors Winston and Smith is the boss. There is lots of logic behind Smith’s preference.

Mariota spent his college career running a spread offense. Winston ran a pro-style offense. Both fared well, but there isn’t much room for comparison.

At Florida State, Winston ran an offense that is at least somewhat similar to what the Bucs run. The offense Mariota ran looked nothing like that, and the only comparable NFL offense is what the Philadelphia Eagles run.

Source: ESPN

I’ve heard that coach Lovie Smith prefers Winston over Oregon’s Marcus Mariota. When Smith chose Dirk Koetter as the Bucs’ offensive coordinator over Marc Trestman, the logic was simple. Although Smith and Trestman have similar philosophies about how to run an offense, they disagreed on the quarterbacks. Trestman preferred Mariota.

Smith favors Winston and Smith is the boss. There is lots of logic behind Smith’s preference.

Mariota spent his college career running a spread offense. Winston ran a pro-style offense. Both fared well, but there isn’t much room for comparison.

At Florida State, Winston ran an offense that is at least somewhat similar to what the Bucs run. The offense Mariota ran looked nothing like that, and the only comparable NFL offense is what the Philadelphia Eagles run.

So Lovie Smith has that much power eh?  Poor tampa, another overrated coach/football guy.

Agree it's not the end of getting a QB. That said, every year people talk about the QB's who will be available next year and a chunk of them amount to nothing. Cook wilts when he's pressured, Hackenberg was awful this year, and Jones may not even be starting for Ohio State next year. Plus if Bowles comes in and improves things, the Jets won't have a shot at a top QB next year.

Obviously you don't take a QB if you don't like him. But the flip side of that is that if they think Mariota is a franchise guy, then they should take him. That's pretty much the golden rule of the draft - if you think a franchise guy is sitting there, don't pass him up.

And while I get what you're getting at with the 100% sold thing, I don't think that's entirely accurate (but also because I tend to think in probabilities). I'm sure the Redskins were "100% sold" on RGIII, and then that blew up in their face. The draft is basically entirely a grey area, there's no black and white about it. If any team believes Mariota (or any given quarterback) is a good scheme and off the field fit and they can develop him into a franchise QB, they should take him.

Not sure it came through in the last post, but I do think Mariota's traits as a passer get underrated because he's a good athlete. You're talking about a completely different guy from Hundley even though they have similar physical traits because Mariota navigates through trash well, keeps his eyes up, and uses his mobility to pass instead of just taking off at the first sign of pressure. Yeah he runs too, but he's a pretty smart runner. There are questions, but I think there's enough there that he needs to be seriously considered at 6 whereas everybody here seems to want to pass on him. But I'd want him to sit for a year (which I don't think happens in New York). On the flip side, Gailey has run wide open stuff in the past and Mariota would fit in there nicely.

It's gonna be real interesting regarding Mariota. You make good points & to add to those points QBs that can run & have good field vision are really dangerous now in the NFL because the truth is the NFL PROTECTS QBs way more than they get protected in college.

You take a guy like Mariota & people will say, "he won't get away with running in the NFL!", well that's not exactly true.

Russell Wilson gets away with it! Why? Because he uses the rules to his advantage!

Wilson moves around to throw the ball 1st, then if he sees an opening he runs & SLIDES! Dude played baseball he knows how to slide.

RG3 on the other hand is a reckless runner & took way to many unnecessary hits.

Remember Sanchez sucked at running too, he had no feel & didn't know how to slide.

If the GM, Bowles, Chan look at this guy & feel he can work in a Wilson type of offense they should take him. Guys that run 4.5s pick up yardage pretty damn fast before they have to slide.

Athletic, good arm, smart, fast, works hard.

That's a long list of positives.

Thank for posting as I saw this article I just don't see Tampa taking the risk with Winston. It does make sense to draft Wilson but damn that's a hell of a gamble in my book.

I live in the Philly area.  No one and I mean no one (at least that I know) - either fans of the team or on their sports talk think Foles is any good.  Should say, they think he's okay but not someone they can win with.  Even when he was leading the league last year and when they were 6-1 this year they were bashing the guy.  

I think it's partly a Philly thing (they mostly hated McNab too) and partly that they see him play every week and know he has real limitations.  I can say this, most Eagle fans would welcome a move like this.

They're not making the deal, though. Kelly is.  And I question that he'd surrender that much. 

Agreed on the franchise guy aspect. I just personally don't believe he is, and I'm curious to see where he ends up being drafted when the smoke clears. I can't imagine that his arm strength and accuracy won't be exposed over the next few weeks. As for his mobility, I don't factor that in because it gets largely nullified when they get to the pros, either through scheme or injury. I look at the struggles of Kaepernick and RGIII, for instance, when the run option was taken away from them. I think Mariota is going to have to prove, really quickly, that he can beat you from the pocket. I don't think he can.

As for the 2016 class, also agreed, it wasn't 12 months ago when people had Bryce Petty as a top ten pick. That said, others rise to the top, as well. My hope (belief) is that desperation won't factor into Maccagnan'sMaccagnan's decision here and he takes Mariota or Winston solely because of positional scarcity.

I doubt any deal would take place but you get the impression Kelly is not that high on Foles

I don't think Kelly is that high on Foles.   I also don't think he is going to give up 2 drafts to move up to get Mariota.  There are a lot of QB's out there out there from spread O's.  

A third party trade for RGIII makes more sense if Kelly wants to get cute

This right here.

If Kelly wants Mariota that bad, then Kelly makes the trade with Washington, not the Jets.

No way the Iggles trade within their division. These teams hate each other. Same way the Jets and the Pats are never trading. 

Archived