FireJohnIdzik.com hires another banner plane (MERGED)

JETSfaninNE

Crazy day...

Give it a rest, Sar... It is football and is supposed to be entertainment. We had some fun today and took a shot at our rivals and trolled their fans... It was meant in good fun and in the spirit of the rivalry. We knew it would get max exposure and took advantage of the opportunity to make a lot of noise for very little money.

Epic display of your first amendment rights.

Nice job!

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a fan, but everyone has their own opinion. I get it as being a joke and harmless which is fine but not sure what it accomplishes. I wasn't a fan of the Fire Idzik thing either, let's just root for our team and hope we can get a winning season and God forbid a division title.

Jets fans fly 'cheaters' banner over Patriots practice

We don't have to tell you that Jets fans are enjoying the deflating drama that's enveloped the Patriotsthis offseason.

Such is the way of a (mostly one-sided) border war that's carried on -- with intermittent breaks -- for close to 20 years. The latest volley comes not from the Jets, but their fan base, specifically the Jets fan site NYJetsFans.com. On Thursday, the site sent a literal message: Flying a plane over Patriotspractice with a banner that read, "CHEATERS LOOK UP!"

Metro spoke with Jason Koeppel, described by the paper as "one of the masterminds" behind the banner.

"The time has come for Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft to start dealing with reality," he explained. "Sports fans are not stupid. We have seen this act before from disgraced former superstar athletes. People like Lance Armstrong and Ryan Braun who challenged the system after they got caught red handed. Ben Johnson, Marion Jones, A-Rod, Roger Clemens -- the list of people who lied after they got caught cheating is sadly endless."

One man's opinion, of course, and one that's already been met withresistance. This isn't the first time the site has pulled off an elaborate PR stunt, either. It's also responsible for last year's "Fire John Idzik" billboard campaign in the New York-area, a campaign so successful that Jets owner Woody Johnson was later asked if the signage played a role in the team's decision to fire their unpopular former general manager.

With Idzik history and the Patriots righteously burned, the site moves onto its next goal -- getting Fireman Ed back on the job. The Jets' unofficial mascot hung up his helmet after the Butt-Fumble gamein 2012. So much pain.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast discusses Tom Brady's lawsuit and debates which veteran players are most likely to be cut.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000504990/article/jets-fans-fly-cheaters-banner-over-patriots-practice?campaign=Facebook_ATN_Hanzus

A business would be making a profit I don't think these guys ever profited with any of this.  

If it were you're idea it would be the best thing since sliced bread. 

joewilly12

The 'fire Idzik' banner wasn't my idea and I thought it was fantastic, read my posts from a year ago.

The 'look up cheaters' banner is horrible, doesn't matter who thought it up.

SAR I

It doesn't only happen when AROD is in Texas and you know it.

As for your "for most of us" comment as if YOU of all people are above certain types of behavior.....please do tell us again about your days encouraging young girls to flash at the spirals.

Exactly, when Arod isn't in Texas or Seattle it's low class and inappropriate.  Arod was never an Oriole.

The spirals featured grown women, usually professional strippers, and I wandered over there a total of 3 times before they shut it down.  And it was because I had a friend who smoked.  Otherwise, never went over there during halftime because that's where the degenerates hang out.  This thing was going on for 10 years I was a season ticket holder with seats right by Gate D and I was oblivious to it until the last few weeks of its existence.

SAR I

Some = 1%.... Can never please everyone

Seems like way more than 1% of Jets fans don't like it. I am a numbers freak so I added up this thread. Unofficially it looks like this:

46 people posted in this thread. 45 of them are Jets fans. Of the Jets fans:

18 have expressed a positive reaction to the banner.

8 have expressed a negative reaction to the banner.

19 Jets fans didn't publicly express a public reaction that was positive or negative. Our findings are that it is more probable than not that the majority of Jets fans will approve of this move. It is also more probably than not that the disapproval level will be greater than 1%.

LOL - the fact that I actually added all this up only shows that it is more probable than not that I am mentally ill. :)

Yea but a few of those people who didn't like it would have a problem with me if I helped an old lady across the street and then climbed a tree to save a kitten.... They just don't like me... And as we all know, social media and message boards do not necessarilly represent real life...

Take Sar (for instance)... He would never say any of the nonsense he spews in here to anybody in person... You think he would talk to Fireman Ed the way he talks about Fireman Ed?

1% may be a bit low but i am fairly certain that if you stood outside of MetLife Stadium at the opener with an ipad and asked fans to vote yes or no "did you enjoy the cheaters look up plane" it would be at least 90% yes

Yea but a few of those people who didn't like it would have a problem with me if I helped an old lady across the street and then climbed a tree to save a kitten.... They just don't like me... And as we all know, social media and message boards do not necessarilly represent real life...

Take Sar (for instance)... He would never say any of the nonsense he spews in here to anybody in person... You think he would talk to Fireman Ed the way he talks about Fireman Ed?

1% may be a bit low but i am fairly certain that if you stood outside of MetLife Stadium at the opener with an ipad and asked fans to vote yes or no "did you enjoy the cheaters look up plane" it would be at least 90% yes

I don't agree with 90%, but definitely the majority of Jets fans would approve.

And message boards are real life. I don't know why you would suggest otherwise. :)

We wanted to be as clear as possible that this was done by fans and had nothing to do with the Jets organization.

The way to make that clear as possible would to simply have not attached anything with the words "Jets" in it. You're obviously advertising, don't expect to treat us all like were incapable of making a simple logical connection and then expect us to embrace this. You should have just let the banner fly and not come on here for your victory lap. You're almost as much as a pathological liar as Belichick you're just on our side of the fight.

The way to make that clear as possible would to simply have not attached anything with the words "Jets" in it. You're obviously advertising, don't expect to treat us all like were incapable of making a simple logical connection and then expect us to embrace this. You should have just let the banner fly and not come on here for your victory lap. You're almost as much as a pathological liar as Belichick you're just on our side of the fight.

Interesting take... Except the reaction if we didn't attach our name would be "these guys do this and then don't even have the balls to attach their name to it"... Can't win with some people.. Lol

And how is this a "victory lap"? There was a thread talking about the topic and I joined in the conversation.. Isn't that the point of the message board?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/07/31/matt-light-confronts-jets-fan-who-flew-cheaters-banner/

BOSTON (CBS) — The Patriots hit the practice field for the first official time of the 2015 season on Thursday, and the 10,000 fans in attendance were ecstatic to see their beleaguered quarterback out there with his teammates.

And then they had to look up.

plane towing a banner flew above the Gillette Stadium practice fields, and that banner read, “Cheaters Look Up!”

The banner was sponsored by “@JetsFanMedia,” and on Friday, Tyson Rauch — the man responsible for that banner joined Toucher & Rich.

“What better way to start training camp than to poke fun at the New England Patriots?” Rauch said. “I don’t hate anybody. I think it’s a fun rivalry. I think it’s just funny to make fun of a team that justifies cheating.”

Rauch said the gag didn’t cost too much money, and then his friend flew up from New Jersey to do it.

“It’s kind of like rallying football fans,” Rauch said.

After a brief interview, things went a little haywire, but eventually, Matt Light joined the show to talk with the banner-flyer. And the three-time Super Bowl champion did not take too kindly to Rauch’s little gag.

The “Cheaters” banner clearly struck a nerve with Light, who let Rauch have it a little bit. Rauch was so respectful toward the Patriots that it ended up setting off Fred worse than Light.

:rl:

I thought this was stupid before, but now Im happy this pissed people off and Tyson was so respectful.

audio is on link above.

I was on the field yesterday at TC and some really highly respected national reporters were telling me how our prank singlehandedly changed the way that NFL fans across the country view Jets fans... They said we used to be among the most hated fan bases in football but we are now seen as a fun likable bunch.

Those guys on that radio interview emailed us afterwards sayig they hated the banner but it was hard to be mad at us after Tyson was on because we were so respectful.

We said we wanted to help change the way people view our fan base. Looks like it is working.

Archived