TRADE dept. : Could Jets entertain idea of trading Geno Smith before deadline ? ? ?

kelly

If Geno was deemed better than Fitz (based on upside or ability), before jawgate, that has to be factored in. If anything, it sets the par-line for the discussion.  His sitting on the sideline, watching/learning, is exactly what he's needed. We know he has the physical upside, and he's not HURTING the team right now, so holding z clipboard can only improve his game. 

I think the longer he sits, the better he gets. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interestingly there is a whole contingent of posters who were highly vocal during the Sanchez years and the Geno years saying that a QB could not learn from being on the sidelines. That they needed to learn the NFL from the starting QB spot.  Interesting because the exact opposite is almost certainly true.  Both of them would have benefited greatly from sitting for a year or two.

Many of us argued that very point.

Geno may be outside of his window to learn this way.

Geno was playing with the first team and Fitz with the backups. They had not played a game of any kind. Geno was the starter but not because he had outplayed anyone.  The way you tell it... "Geno was outplaying AND Geno was named the starter" as if one were because of the other.   That does not happen on May 20th no matter how much you would like it to be the case.

There was no outplaying because they were throwing to different guys often facing different defenders.  Live in your bizarre world if you like.  Geno is crap when the games start.  The games had not yet started.

And what does any of your excuse making have to do with Geno was playing better and was the starting QB?  You need to join reality and stop with your crystal ball nonsense and stick to the subject.  You need to stop telling us that Geno wasnt leading, playing better etc just because you want it to be that way.  That doesnt make it real.  No matter how many times you come back saying what happened didn't.  Which one of you came up the utterly ridiculous May 20th line? 

You really are flailing again.  

If Geno was deemed better than Fitz (based on upside or ability), before jawgate, that has to be factored in. If anything, it sets the par-line for the discussion.  His sitting on the sideline, watching/learning, is exactly what he's needed. We know he has the physical upside, and he's not HURTING the team right now, so holding z clipboard can only improve his game. 

I think the longer he sits, the better he gets. 

The trade was a silly idea from the writer.  The question is would Geno be hurting the team if he were starting now?

If you believe that MacCagnan and Bowles, who are in positions that constantly demand production of results, would sit on Geno now that he is healthy if they truly believed Genp was BETTER than Fitz, I just have to laugh.  Gene is what he is...at this point, mostly an enigma with a small chance at upside and a more probable chance at mediocrity.

If you believe that MacCagnan and Bowles, who are in positions that constantly demand production of results, would sit on Geno now that he is healthy if they truly believed Genp was BETTER than Fitz, I just have to laugh.  Gene is what he is...at this point, mostly an enigma with a small chance at upside and a more probable chance at mediocrity.

If you believe that MacCagnan and Bowles, who are in positions that constantly demand production of results, would switch to Geno now just because he is healthy while they are winning, I just have to laugh.

As bad as Geno is, he's at least played in the league and understands the system. I don't see any huge value in trading him. And there is no way the Jets get a starting QB in this upcoming draft. The 2016 class is worse than last year. Let's pray that Petty is ready when Geno's contract is up.

Where were all of you guys when camp was in session? It was reported by numerous sources that Geno was having a GREAT camp & was outplaying Fitzpatrick. In fact the beat writers (yes all of the beat writers including the haters like Cimini & Meyta) were claiming that based on what they were seeing, it was clear Geno was the starter & Fitz was the backup.

Jawgate changed all of that. Fitz is the QB & he's winning. Jets are 3-1 with Fitz & Bowles has decided he's gonna ride the veteran until the waters get rough. Geno has never proven anything other than he has potential. This isn't like a proven good starting QB got punched in the face, it's a 3rd year 2nd round QB who unfortunately happens to be a cheap bastard that doesn't like to pay his debts. I haven't completely given up on Geno in fact I'm curious to see how he would perform with the offensive talent we have this year but I'm with Bowles, ride that pony Fitzpatrick until the wheels fall off, Genos still a complete unknown at this point. At least we know Fitzy can run the offense, audible, move blockers, adjust his snap counts & cadence, none of us have a clue if Geno can do that confidently? Hopefully, he's finally learning how to be a QB, he wasn't going to learn sh*t with Rex running the show, or is it ruining the show?

WTF is it with you people that you have a hard time dealing with facts?  I could tell you the sky is blue and Id get a stupid answer that next week it could be purple.

Another 500 word essay to explain how the guy who at the time of his injury wasnt leading Fitz even though everyone, everywhere said he was.  All because in your crystal ball Fitz might have reversed it.  OK.  Some of you were praying that Geno would go back to what he was.  Just as you imagined that there were days that Geno played badly.  That in your world is enough to argue like a broken record.  

You're stuck between spinning fact and stroking yourself.  This is almost as tiring as listening to you argue how overrated CMartin was

You really need to take a deep breath, read what you have written here and then try to decide if that passes any kind of smell test for for even rudimentary common courtesy.  Your arguments sound as if they are coming from a whiny little adolescent girl.

You IMAGINE that Geno might have changed as a game day QB but you are the one who has ZERO evidence to back that up. 

You IMPLY that the naming of Geno as the starter was made as a result of evidence from practice field when you know for a fact that the timeline makes this a LIE.  Geno was confirmed as the incumbent on May 20, almost 2-months before TC.

You know that training camp had just started without even a scrimmage or a real preseason game to judge performances and yet you confidently DECLARE that Geno was outplaying the backup when all you have to support this are SOME camp reports.  Other camp reports had Fitzpatrick outplaying Smith on some days.

Geno has been perhaps the worst starting QB in the history of the NFL to have started this many games.  In a performance-based league anyone else would have lost his job to the 2nd or even the 3rd string QB based solely on performance alone.  Geno was lucky the the GM wanted to keep his job and he knew that Geno Smith was key to that.

In is not for others to IMAGINE that Geno has regressed.  The onus is for Geno and Geno supporters to demonstrate that he is not the same old dogsh1t QB that he has always been.

If Geno's grip on the position in the mind of the coaches was as solid as you seem to imagine that it was then he would have gotten his job back.  It is really that simple I think even you should be able to grasp that one.  But he did NOT get his job back despite the fact that Ryan Fitzpataick has been quite inconsistent.  That should tell everyone all they will ever need to know about how firmly entrenched Geno was.in the mind of Todd Bowles as the better QB.

With luck Geno Smith will never start another game for the NY Jets and we will be a better team because of that.  Maybe one day a real QB will show up for the NY Jets but as of today we do not really have anyone.

@EM31 & @Jet Nut - no one cares about your tired and boringly repetitive arguments that make their way from thread to thread regarding Geno Smith. You're not convincing each other -or anyone else- of anything, and you're not going to. Either take it to PM, put each other on ignore, or both. 

Thanks. 

As the non-article stated, Geno isn't going anywhere this year. He's much more valuable as a potential starter on the roster than a future low round pick would be. 

I think he sticks with the team next year, too. A big factor will be what they think of Petty, and if they decide to draft another QB next year or not. If they do, then Geno would almost certainly be the odd man out. But I don't think they will. I think they'll invite Fitzpatrick back (perhaps on a multi-year deal), and have a wide open QB competition - giving Petty every chance to win it. 

They could dangle Geno, but what is his trade value, really? Can't be a lot. This is final year of his contract coming up and, at a cost of just over $1M, he'll still be an inexpensive backup with starting experience. They can let him go after next season and probably get a comp pick in the range of his current trade value for 2017. Unless he plays his way into the starting lineup or off the team, I think that's the way they'll go. 

So I'm not allowed to state a fact because EM31 may follow me again in a thread trying to dispute that fact? Sorry but a simple comment that I wouldnt trade Geno because he played well in camp didn't need a rant that he didnt.  I never invited him to follow my simple post to someone else that Geno had outplayed Fitz in camp and argue that it didn't happen.  Thats not wrong or something anyone needs to be told not to post.  But I will stop responding to his posts moving forward and not get sucked into it, youre right its tiring

So I'm not allowed to state a fact because EM31 may follow me again in a thread trying to dispute that fact? Sorry but a simple comment that I wouldnt trade Geno because he played well in camp didn't need a rant that he didnt.  I never invited him to follow my simple post to someone else that Geno had outplayed Fitz in camp and argue that it didn't happen.  Thats not wrong or something anyone needs to be told not to post.  But I will stop responding to his posts moving forward and not get sucked into it, youre right its tiring

stop being such a baby.

Clever how you simultaneously agree not to get sucked into a debate while also once again repeat your side of it. Both of your positions are etched into our collective memories. 

It surprised me Geno has no value what about the "he would be a superstar with wezponzzzz" argument? Weird how 32 professional GMs don't think so.

Not weird. No one has seen him perform with said weapons yet, why would anyone trade for him at this point in time? His maturity/leadership ability is also very much in question as a result of his part in getting his jaw broken. If he makes his way onto the field and plays up to some of the camp hype we heard before the punch, maybe he'll draw some off season attention. 

And I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a single post referring to him as a potential superstar. The most grandiose statements are usually along the lines of him having a higher ceiling than Fitzpatrick. Hardly superstar-level praise. 

Not weird. No one has seen him perform with said weapons yet, why would anyone trade for him at this point in time? His maturity/leadership ability is also very much in question as a result of his part in getting his jaw broken. If he makes his way onto the field and plays up to some of the camp hype we heard before the punch, maybe he'll draw some off season attention. 

Same reasons no one should have any hope of future success. It's entered blind hope territory, which is not a strategy that professional GMs adhere to. Thus, no trade value.

<redacted in the interests of world peace> 

And I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a single post referring to him as a potential superstar. The most grandiose statements are usually along the lines of him having a higher ceiling than Fitzpatrick. Hardly superstar-level praise. 

Understood that Marshall is a new piece and the as yet unproven Devin Smith but other than that everyone else is the same.  The entire O-Line is pretty much the same, Decker, Kerley, Ivory, Powell, Cumberland and Amaro.  All were here last year.  What is this notion of all of these new weapons?

Understood that Marshall is a new piece and the as yet unproven Devin Smith but other than that everyone else is the same.  The entire O-Line is pretty much the same, Decker, Kerley, Ivory, Powell, Cumberland and Amaro.  All were here last year.  What is this notion of all of these new weapons?

Decker was hurt a lot of last year. Marshall is a huge addition, though, one who was looking forward to working with Geno. He moves everyone else down the depth chart. He's facing the opposition's #1 CB, often with a double team, leaving Decker single covered with a #2 CB. That's a big difference from last year. Devin Smith is useless with Fitz at QB. The system is also different, and much more tailored to Geno's strengths. 

I really don't think I have any delusions about Geno. I was just very interested to see if he could put it together under new coaching with a true #1 WR. I think they were, too. 

Clever how you simultaneously agree not to get sucked into a debate while also once again repeat your side of it. Both of your positions are etched into our collective memories. 

Theres also this idea from the Geno haters that the offense outside of Marshall is the same. Well for one Marshall is a huge plus just by his addition but theres the added bonus of what his presence does to the rest of the offense. Changes the way Decker is covered, changes the ability of teams to play the run.  Theres Smith, whos speed even when he isnt clicking with Fitz causes issues for defenses.  The OL is not the same, we brought in a G and have seen better play up to now out of Colon/Winters and from Giaco.  

And to me the biggest difference is what Gailey has brought to the O.  Cant ignore that we have a completely different offensive philosophy.

Theres also this idea from the Geno haters that the offense outside of Marshall is the same. Well for one Marshall is a huge plus just by his addition but theres the added bonus of what his presence does to the rest of the offense. Changes the way Decker is covered, changes the ability of teams to play the run.  Theres Smith, whos speed even when he isnt clicking with Fitz causes issues for defenses.  The OL is not the same, we brought in a G and have seen better play up to now out of Colon/Winters and from Giaco.  

And to me the biggest difference is what Gailey has brought to the O.  Cant ignore that we have a completely different offensive philosophy.

With all that being said can we at least assume you would take Mariota over Geno??:)

Where were all of you guys when camp was in session? It was reported by numerous sources that Geno was having a GREAT camp & was outplaying Fitzpatrick. In fact the beat writers (yes all of the beat writers including the haters like Cimini & Meyta) were claiming that based on what they were seeing, it was clear Geno was the starter & Fitz was the backup.

Jawgate changed all of that. Fitz is the QB & he's winning. Jets are 3-1 with Fitz & Bowles has decided he's gonna ride the veteran until the waters get rough. Geno has never proven anything other than he has potential. This isn't like a proven good starting QB got punched in the face, it's a 3rd year 2nd round QB who unfortunately happens to be a cheap bastard that doesn't like to pay his debts. I haven't completely given up on Geno in fact I'm curious to see how he would perform with the offensive talent we have this year but I'm with Bowles, ride that pony Fitzpatrick until the wheels fall off, Genos still a complete unknown at this point. At least we know Fitzy can run the offense, audible, move blockers, adjust his snap counts & cadence, none of us have a clue if Geno can do that confidently? Hopefully, he's finally learning how to be a QB, he wasn't going to learn sh*t with Rex running the show, or is it ruining the show?

What's the hell you talking about you're making sense ,we don't do that here.....Excellent post

Come on now that's not fair, you have a new coach,a new offense of coordinator, would had tailored a new offense of system to quarterback strengths.

Finally a trio of wide receivers who can actually get separation from the secondary. This is opposed to last year, when you had one Wide receiver who the defense could concentrate on. Then you factor in Carpenter on the offense line,which stabilized it, that's another addition

An lastly a totally rebuilt secondary which gets the opposing offense off the field and eventually tires the opposing defense. Which in turn opens up a running game and opens up the passing game. So, there's a lot different from last year come, not saying that Geno will do any better, but he certainly would have more tools to be successful

It surprised me Geno has no value what about the "he would be a superstar with wezponzzzz" argument? Weird how 32 professional GMs don't think so.

I'd say half the teams in the NFL have potent weapons and sh*tty quarterbacks. 

So by not trading Geno to them, we're keeping half the league from a chance at a Superbowl appearance. Like Arby's, we have the meats.

Archived