Jets have reportedly looked into trading up to #2 pick.

Mogglez

Allbright can be a dick but he has broken plenty of stuff before and with more news of the Browns actively shopping the pick coming out today this doesn't sound surprising.  This draft is shaping up to be one of the most exciting one in years.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Our ability to move up to #2 is totally dependant on whether we can work Mo wilk into the deal or not imo.

I agree. FWIW I found this too from a Jets news compiler on twitter: 

"The #Jets are interested in trading Muhammad Wilkerson and their 1st round pick (20th) to move up and draft a top QB (ESPN)."

I'm sure this is just stating the obvious but I have to imagine, based off every move they've made so far + the failed attempt to move him for the #1 pick, the team has absolutely zero intentions of keeping Mo.

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

losing 3 picks for the sloppy seconds of a mediocre QB class that would be so jets

There have been plenty of occasions where the best QB of the draft was not the first QB drafted.  

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Our ability to move up to #2 is totally dependant on whether we can work Mo wilk into the deal or not imo.

Agreed. That would be the only way I would be happy moving up. 

9 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I would imagine every team takes and give offers quite often leading up to and during the draft.  

Macc already said he contacted every team in front of us to gauge their terms. Writers could literally say this same thing about the Jets "looking into" moving up for every pick from 1-19.  

Inquiring on the cost really isnt a big deal.  Not only is it just an inquiry that could easily just end right there but there are also other conversation to be had.  That conversation can also be about who else is calling, what they are targeting and it could be about other picks they have too.

Nothing to see here. Mac aint stupid enough to mortgage the future on sloppy seconds. 

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the rumors of the jets wanting either the 1st or 2nd pick are true, then they really don't want to spend the time to develop a guy like lynch if they can avoid it.  though i question how ready wentz is anyway.

Well one thing I've thought about is that all of this would explain why they are so content with Geno/Hoyer/some other vet replacing Fitz.  After the year Fitz just had he has to, at the very LEAST, want a 2 year deal that guarantees him a good chunk of change.  If the team feels that they have an opportunity to grab a guy that can step in sooner than Paxton Lynch, Connor Cook, etc, then there is little to no reason to:

1. Pay Fitz his high asking price

2. Give him anything beyond one year.

Obviously we don't know any of this for sure but it could explain a lot.  Also would explain why no deal will likely be done before the draft.  Our QB situation sounds like it's going to be drastically different after this all done

Well that's ******* stupid 

Besides, anything in the top five will cost the Jets the first 3 days of the draft. We won't get a pic until the sixth round or even the 7th.

If they do this, it will be a horrible day for gang green and one hell of a waste for the 2016 draft!

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Just now, BaumerJet said:

Besides, anything in the top five will cost the Jets the first 3 days of the draft. We won't get a pic until the sixth round or even the 7th.

If they do this, it will be a horrible day for gang green and one hell of a waste for the 2016 draft!

Not if it brings them their QB for the next 10 years

20 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

something tells me that we have called just about every team to gauge how they value their pick and what they would want for it

And that's exactly what BigMac should be doing.  You never know, might as well call everyone and see what you can get for what.

I'm sure a lot of this activity is revolved around Mo too, so it wouldnt surprise me if he's spoken to every team in the league by now.

8 minutes ago, BaumerJet said:

Wilkerson will be a part of any trade to move up so we wouldn't be giving away all of our draft.  Mo will be a big chunk of the compensation if something happens.

Just now, Beerfish said:

I actually would be fine with a trade up for either one of those top two guys.  I like them both.

I think it goes 1-2 with Goff being the former, but trading up for Wentz just kind of smells like an all-time bust. Has nothing to do with his ability, just the level of play he's coming from. 

But I trust Maccagnan and Bowles. It seems certain they're willing to do whatever it takes to get a franchise QB next Thursday, and I'm praying that the gamble pays off. 

1 minute ago, BroadwayJets said:

I think it goes 1-2 with Goff being the former, but trading up for Wentz just kind of smells like an all-time bust. Has nothing to do with his ability, just the level of play he's coming from. 

But I trust Maccagnan and Bowles. It seems certain they're willing to do whatever it takes to get a franchise QB next Thursday, and I'm praying that the gamble pays off. 

Maybe, but depending on what it takes to go up to #2 I'd take the chance. I'm tired of wallowing in mediocrity.

43 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the rumors of the jets wanting either the 1st or 2nd pick are true, then they really don't want to spend the time to develop a guy like lynch if they can avoid it.  though i question how ready wentz is anyway.

Unless I missed it, I haven't seen Macc mentioned at all with regards to Wentz.  I think the only team that has gushed about Wentz was Philly, and maybe Dallas.  Guy has less than two years starting experience.  IMO, risk is too high to move up and get him.  He missed 8 games last year and his team won everyone of them.  He will have to sit just as long as or even longer than Lynch.  If LA takes Wentz, there will be a flood of calls to Cleveland.  If LA takes Goff, than who knows.  

2 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

I'm more and more comfortable with smaller school guys coming if they have the arm and look the part leading up to the draft (combine, pro days, all star games.) Flacco and Roeths have done well.

2 minutes ago, brian101193 said:

Maybe, but depending on what it takes to go up to #2 I'd take the chance. I'm tired of wallowing in mediocrity.

Makes two of us. But I'm under the impression that a LOT of our horrid history comes from a lack of people in our front office who are certified to make personnel decisions. I think Maccagnan is finally that guy who can make something out of those "meaningless" (cc: Tanny) late round picks, and I'm willing to be patient, again. I think Cook is the pick at 20.

49 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Agreed.  If its not just Mac doing due diligence, then it does say something about what they think of the QBs that they have shown interest in throughout the draft process like Hackenberg, Lynch, Prescott, Rudock, Stave, etc.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm more and more comfortable with smaller school guys coming if they have the arm and look the part leading up to the draft (combine, pro days, all star games.) Flacco and Roeths have done well.

I don't disagree, I'm just a sufferer of Jets fan syndrome. 

1 minute ago, BroadwayJets said:

Makes two of us. But I'm under the impression that a LOT of our horrid history comes from a lack of people in our front office who are certified to make personnel decisions. I think Maccagnan is finally that guy who can make something out of those "meaningless" (cc: Tanny) late round picks, and I'm willing to be patient, again. I think Cook is the pick at 20.

It all comes down to what "significantly less" means in terms of picks. I DON'T want to give up what LA did, but if it was in the neighborhood of Mo and 2 1st rounders Macc would have to consider it. I agree with you on Macc being the right guy to make these types of decisions, if he really likes Wentz and the Ram's take Goff he's got to go get him. 

Just now, brian101193 said:

It all comes down to what "significantly less" means in terms of picks. I DON'T want to give up what LA did, but if it was in the neighborhood of Mo and 2 1st rounders Macc would have to consider it. I agree with you on Macc being the right guy to make these types of decisions, if he really likes Wentz and the Ram's take Goff he's got to go get him. 

I agree, it also really helps that we have Mo on the block as well, it could save us a first rounder in 2018 or something along those lines. One year without a first rounder is not exactly a mortgaged future. 

45 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Wilkerson will be a part of any trade to move up so we wouldn't be giving away all of our draft.  Mo will be a big chunk of the compensation if something happens.

This...

IMO this whole trade up scenario is more about dealing Wilkerson for good value than it is about finding a franchise QB.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Macc package Wilk to move up in the draft and then trade OUT of that spot and move back to gather more picks.  Assuming that yields him a better return than what is being offered for Mo outright.

Archived