Jets Panicked and Resigned Fitz.

JetBlue

There I said it; one game into the season.  Why? Because I don't need 5 or 6 games to see Fitz just doesn't have the arm strength to scare defenses.    It will be dink and dunk and YAC all down the field.  One the reasons this worked last year is our effectiveness in the red zone.   Hopefully we will do better going forward than we did on Sunday. 

Unfortunately, guys like Robby Anderson, Charone Peake and eventually Devin Smith will be underutilized if used at all because of Fitzs pop gun arm.   I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so. 

I really wanted Geno to battle it out with Petty for the starting job going into camp.  I thought going in, that Geno would win that battle but Petty impressed the heck out of me with his arm and presence.  He as the Anti- Geno in that regard and seem to really take charge in the huddle.   I really would love to see what he could with all the weapons this team has.  

Instead I have to sit and watch a journeyman that NO OTHER TEAM EVEN MADE AN OFFER TO, be looked upon as the "best option" for the Jets. I mean how pathetic is that?  

Look at all the teams that just two years ago had no quarterback and now have their franchise or potential franchise quarterback in place

Raiders
Vikings
Eagles
Rams
Bucs
Jaquars
Titans
* Cowboys (Prescott looks like the real deal)
Hell even the Bills with T.Taylor and C. Jones

I am sure I probably could name a few others but the point is made.  

Meanwhile, we are trotting out Ryan Fitzpatrick..... let that sink in for minute.  Ryan FREAKING Fitzpatrick!!

We have watched guys like Trevor Simian and Dak Prescott come out of practically nowhere and play well but we didn't have the balls to go with our home grown talent.  Instead management caved into Fitz's demands and the end result is we are no closer to finding out if Petty lead this team or not.  

Hack is redshirted until 2017 and hopefully he will emerge but this would have been the perfect time to let Geno and Petty fight it out and let the best man start.   I am so sick of the fascination with mediocrity just because his teammates "love him" and wanted him back.    I mean who is in charge here?  Can you imagine something like this happening on the Patriots?  Do you think Bellicheck would give a flying **** what the players "wanted" when it came to personnel?  I guess that is one reason they are a perennial championship contender and we are still looking for our first true franchise quarterback since Namath. 

I can't with this team.... 

Somebody wake me up when they get some balls and starts Petty.   I hate to root for injury to any player but in Fitz case I will make an exception.  I have seen enough. 

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They resigned him for a couple of reasons.

1. The team likes the guy. Danger of losing the team if he doesn't sign.

2. It would be SOJ to not resign the QB with the best season in Jets history. 

3. He gives the younger QBs a mentor.

As for your examples, the Rams have Goff at 3rd string.

5 of those teams spent 1st or high second round picks on their QBs. They should be ready. Hackenberg is a low second round pick.

Not sure if panicked is the right word.  Todd Bowles announced him the starter immediately after the loss to the Bills when he wasnt even under contract.  There was never a second this offseason that Fitz wasnt going to be the starter.  It was always going to happen.  It was just a matter of when and how much.  

Fitz had too good of a year to not re-sign.  There are reasons for that I will point out in a separate thread.  This is just one of those things-Decker and Marshall wanted him, the fans like him, and the Jets will be competitive enough to fill seats.

But by all accounts Fitz will either not be here in 2017 or here at a much lower price.  He should be designated backup to Petty or Hack for no more than Chase Daniels money.

A QB with an arm will allow the Jets to use the younger WRs better, and Marshall may find his way out too.

The Jets also panicked by signing Revis.  And Marshall was a smart but expensive win now move.

Just now, varjet said:

Fitz had too good of a year to not re-sign.  There are reasons for that I will point out in a separate thread.  This is just one of those things-Decker and Marshall wanted him, the fans like him, and the Jets will be competitive enough to fill seats.

But by all accounts Fitz will either not be here in 2017 or here at a much lower price.  He should be designated backup to Petty or Hack for no more than Chase Daniels money.

A QB with an arm will allow the Jets to use the younger WRs better, and Marshall may find his way out too.

The Jets also panicked by signing Revis.  And Marshall was a smart but expensive win now move.

The Revis signing is more of a panic move but in the end, I'm glad they did it because of the legacy potential

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And all those young receivers will be on this team next year with a different QB

Oh really? Who?

This team wanted to sign him to a 3 year deal.  Next offseason, will be a repeat of this offseason...held hostage by Ryan Fitzpatrick.  I highly doubt anyone but Fitz is the starter again going into 2017.  

This is why they should have moved on from him THIS season.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh really? Who?

This team wanted to sign him to a 3 year deal.  Next offseason, will be a repeat of this offseason...held hostage by Ryan Fitzpatrick.  I highly doubt anyone but Fitz is the starter again going into 2017.  

FML If Fitz is the starter next season.

Bring him back to back up Glennon or Petty and I'm fine with that.

If he's starting, it means the kids aren't developing.

Hell, I'm still hoping Petty finds a way to steal the job THIS season.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh really? Who?

I agree with much of what you're saying...but Fitz won't be the starter next year and that was never the plan.  Year 2 and 3 of the contract they offered was at back-up money.  They wanted to lock him up at that price as a back-up/mentor.

26 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

There I said it; one game into the season.  Why? Because I don't need 5 or 6 games to see Fitz just doesn't have the arm strength to scare defenses.    It will be dink and dunk and YAC all down the field.  One the reasons this worked last year is our effectiveness in the red zone.   Hopefully we will do better going forward than we did on Sunday. 

Unfortunately, guys like Robby Anderson, Charone Peake and eventually Devin Smith will be underutilized if used at all because of Fitzs pop gun arm.   I hope I'm wrong but I don't think so. 

I really wanted Geno to battle it out with Petty for the starting job going into camp.  I thought going in, that Geno would win that battle but Petty impressed the heck out of me with his arm and presence.  He as the Anti- Geno in that regard and seem to really take charge in the huddle.   I really would love to see what he could with all the weapons this team has.  

Instead I have to sit and watch a journeyman that NO OTHER TEAM EVEN MADE AN OFFER TO, be looked upon as the "best option" for the Jets. I mean how pathetic is that?  

Look at all the teams that just two years ago had no quarterback and now have their franchise or potential franchise quarterback in place

Raiders
Vikings
Eagles
Rams
Bucs
Jaquars
Titans

Meanwhile, we are trotting out Ryan Fitzpatrick..... let that sink in for minute.  Ryan FREAKING Fitzpatrick!!

We have watched guys like Trevor Simian and Dak Prescott come out of practically nowhere and play well but we didn't have the balls to go with our home grown talent.  Instead management caved into Fitz's demands and the end result is we are no closer to finding out if Petty lead this team or not.  

Hack is redshirted until 2017 and hopefully he will emerge but this would have been the perfect time to let Geno and Petty fight it out and let the best man start.   I am so sick of the fascination with mediocrity just because his teammates "love him" and wanted him back.    I mean who is in charge here?  Can you imagine something like this happening on the Patriots?  Do you think Bellicheck would give a flying **** what the players "wanted" when it came to personnel?  I guess that is one reason they are a perennial championship contender and we are still looking for our first true franchise quarterback since Namath. 

Somebody wake me up when they get some balls and starts Petty.   I hate to root for injury to any player but in Fitz case I will make an exception.  I have seen enough. 

3009953-6701546361-CkoCo.gif

First they didn't panic when it took them 7 months to seal the deal. They wanted him back because they think he gives us the best chance to win over any available Qb and there weren't any unless you want to count Bradford. For them financially it was a good deal with no guaranteed money after this season. And at a reasonable price. If they didn't sign Fitz with injuries and bad play like with the Rams available jobs and he'd be employed. You can state your case in a month if you want but right now he's playing ok not great. But good enough to win against Cincy.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Oh really? Who?

If Fitz is the QB next year, it'll only be because he had a good season this year. So I don't think he'll be the QB next year. 

27 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

There I said it; one game into the season.....

Stopped reading here, because anyone who calls it "panic" is just ignorant.

They knew who they had, Geno, Petty and Hack, and they knew they couldn't go into 2016 with Geno as the starter, and Petty wasn't ready.

Macc got exactly what he wanted, Fitz as the #1 for one year.  all he missed on was the two years of extra Fitz-as-backup, hardly the worst loss.

Panic, lol.  Jets Fans are so dumb they see proper planning and hardline negotiation now as "panic".

37 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Raiders
Vikings
Eagles
Rams
Bucs
Jaquars
Titans

you could have saved us the time of reading your novel by just posting the bolded. its what you really mean in a nutshell posted 500 times previously

Said it in another thread, but Fitzpatrick's popularity provides cover for the entire organization. His buddies on the team wanted him back, the fans blinded by all the records [sic] that he set against the weakest schedule in the league wanted him back, and they brought him back. Hopefully he provides good mentoring while simultaneously protecting -keeping off the field- the QBs they've drafted. But because of his popularity with the fans, he can have crappy performances like yesterday's and have all the fans blame everything but him for the loss. Geno puts up the identical game, and the same people people defending Fitz today would be laying all the blame for that loss on Geno. And, by extension, the regime that didn't have someone else starting at QB.  

The $12M for Fitz this year buys Mac and Bowles another year. Sooner or later, though, they have to throw Petty or Hack into the fire. Probably sooner. 

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Stopped reading here, because anyone who calls it "panic" is just ignorant.

They knew who they had, Geno, Petty and Hack, and they knew they couldn't go into 2016 with Geno as the starter, and Petty wasn't ready.

Macc got exactly what he wanted, Fitz as the #1 for one year.  all he missed on was the two years of extra Fitz-as-backup, hardly the worst loss.

Panic, lol.  Jets Fans are so dumb they see proper planning and hardline negotiation now as "panic".

**** and You.  Carry on.

17 minutes ago, AFJF said:

FML If Fitz is the starter next season.

Bring him back to back up Glennon or Petty and I'm fine with that.

If he's starting, it means the kids aren't developing.

Hell, I'm still hoping Petty finds a way to steal the job THIS season.

haha - maybe it's the Jets fan in me but I dont see Hack or Petty being ready to start Football games next year.  And unfortunately with Gailey here, I think the value of the veteran QB who knows the system in and out and the WR's love and Bowles being obsessed with playing vets keeps him here as a starter.  Just my take.  Probably should care more about this year but we both share a similar view on this season. 

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree with much of what you're saying...but Fitz won't be the starter next year and that was never the plan.  Year 2 and 3 of the contract they offered was at back-up money.  They wanted to lock him up at that price as a back-up/mentor.

This is a good point.  Forgot that they were basically offering back up money on the back end. 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

If Fitz is the QB next year, it'll only be because he had a good season this year. So I don't think he'll be the QB next year. 

I dont think it matters, personally.  I think Tood Bowles is hanging his career on this guy and that is just a shame for everyone involved. 

9 minutes ago, ylekram said:

you could have saved us the time of reading your novel by just posting the bolded. its what you really mean in a nutshell posted 500 times previously

Do you really have an issue with Geno and Petty competing to start? Is Fitzpatrick really that much better?   SOJ thinking... 

20 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

First they didn't panic when it took them 7 months to seal the deal. They wanted him back because they think he gives us the best chance to win over any available Qb and there weren't any unless you want to count Bradford. For them financially it was a good deal with no guaranteed money after this season. And at a reasonable price. If they didn't sign Fitz with injuries and bad play like with the Rams available jobs and he'd be employed. You can state your case in a month if you want but right now he's playing ok not great. But good enough to win against Cincy.

They panicked because they could have easily allowed Petty and Geno to compete for the starting position and still signed Fitz if neither of them stepped up. Instead they signed him, named him starter and NEVER gave their young quarterbacks a real shot.   

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Do you really have an issue with Geno and Petty competing to start? I am is Fitzpatrick really that much better?   SOJ thinking... 

geno and petty can start when they earn that right. geno was gifted 3 starting gigs so far. how did that work out?

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

They panicked because they could have easily allowed Petty and Geno to compete for the starting position and still signed Fitz if neither of them stepped up. Instead they signed him, named him starter and NEVER gave their young quarterbacks a real shot.   

Most teams aren't going to have Qb competitions after a vet Qb has a good year. I mean really do you want to bench Fitz and start Geno after a one point L. 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Said it in another thread, but Fitzpatrick's popularity provides cover for the entire organization. His buddies on the team wanted him back, the fans blinded by all the records [sic] that he set against the weakest schedule in the league wanted him back, and they brought him back. Hopefully he provides good mentoring while simultaneously protecting -keeping off the field- the QBs they've drafted. But because of his popularity with the fans, he can have crappy performances like yesterday's and have all the fans blame everything but him for the loss. Geno puts up the identical game, and the same people people defending Fitz today would be laying all the blame for that loss on Geno. And, by extension, the regime that didn't have someone else starting at QB.  

The $12M for Fitz this year buys Mac and Bowles another year. Sooner or later, though, they have to throw Petty or Hack into the fire. Probably sooner. 

^^^^^^^^^

22 minutes ago, ylekram said:

geno and petty can start when they earn that right. geno was gifted 3 starting gigs so far. how did that work out?

Who said anything about being gifted the starting job?  You are like a broken record.  The point is they could have let Geno and Petty COMPETE against each other and if neither them played well, could have STILL signed Fitz.   What part of this are you NOT getting? 

4 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

This was my problem by guaranteeing him the starting position. Is Fitzpatrick really....REALLY playing on the level to where he should be guaranteed the starting position? And this isnt a "pro-Geno" position, Petty was the best looking QB this preseason. And granted, playing mostly against 3rd stringers and guys who will be cut isnt a reason to give a guy the position, but I still dont see where Fitz has removed himself so far from the competition that you guarantee him the spot and pay him 12 million to play. 

Crazy. 

Archived