2017 Jets Head Coach: Mike McCarthy

RoadFan

I mentioned this a few weeks ago.  A handful of you saw it but mostly got "no way Green Bay fires him."  Well, something is stinky and moldy in Cheeseland.  Like Camembert bad.  There are rumblings that the relationship between McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers is souring.   Clearly, Rodgers ain't going nowhere.

Experienced.  Respected.  No nonsense.  Offensive-minded.  Perfect.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Thinking the same, doubt he gets fired though. 

Then Macc should trade for him.  It has been done before. This is a 4 year rebuild.  Why not start with the Head Coach?  I am thinking closer to the Herman Edwards trade.  The Jon Gruden trade was lunacy.  Super Bowl or not.

Doug Marrone is next up. Was Mike M's choice but Woody got scared off by the Daily News hatchet job against Marrone. Marrone was close w/Cannizzaro when OL coach under Herm. DN was afraid Post would get all the inside scoops so they (Mehta & Lupica) went on a daily crusade against Marrone. 

Mccagnan and Marrone go back to World Football league days. Mcc signed Marrone to play for London. 

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mccarthy has been blessed going from favre to rodgers.  Without a qb, he will be 6-10 here.

Certainly possible you are right.  But we have seen many Packers games over the years.  I am sure we don't notice other teams' Head Coach blunders as much as the Jets.  But I don't recall thinking, man, that was really stupid from McCarthy.

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

He's losing with Aaron Rogers as his QB. Why don't we stick with Bowles at least one more season. 

I remember early in his coaching career pretty much everyone thought he was in way over his head, was one of the poorer HCs in the league, with an admittedly aging Favre,. But with ARodgers now he's someone we should trade for.  

While with Rodgers his team struggles at least as much as ours. 

9 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Doug Marrone is next up. Was Mike M's choice but Woody got scared off by the Daily News hatchet job against Marrone. Marrone was close w/Cannizzaro when OL coach under Herm. DN was afraid Post would get all the inside scoops so they (Mehta & Lupica) went on a daily crusade against Marrone. 

Mccagnan and Marrone go back to World Football league days. Mcc signed Marrone to play for London. 

I agree with you. If they make a change it would most likely be Marrone.

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I remember early in his coaching career pretty much everyone thought he was in way over his head, was one of the poorer HCs in the league, with an admittedly aging Favre,. But with ARodgers now he's someone we should trade for.  

This is chicken or the egg to a degree.  Of course it is easier to coach with a superstar QB.  Doesn't mean McCarthy can't coach. 

Holmgren had Favre too. He also took a Hasselbeck to a SB with Seattle, if not for a couple of crucial bad calls, they would have won.

Marv Levy had Jim Kelly.  Anyone think he couldn't coach?

Marty Schottenheimer was close with three teams with quality QB's (playoff choking aside.)  Marty is super respected, biggest reason why his incompetent son keeps getting employed.

Of course there are others that failed after going from a great QB to crap.  Mike Shanahan comes to mind.

18 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I mentioned this a few weeks ago.  A handful of you saw it but mostly got "no way Green Bay fires him."  Well, something is stinky and moldy in Cheeseland.  Like Camembert bad.  There are rumblings that the relationship between McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers is souring.   Clearly, Rodgers ain't going nowhere.

As much as I don't want ANOTHER CS regime change - although the Bowles critics are starting to be validated IMO by these frustrating game plans & bone-head losses - McCarthy is the only candidate I would accept as a replacement next year due to the traits you stated.

We do need to break away from these defensive-minded "scared to lose b/c of my offense" HC philosophies that have prevailed since the 2000 Al Groh era to the present day CS. A Franchise QB helps, but the league is regulated to be entertaining due to offense  and the Jets need an offensive mentality that will NOT offend their loyal fans with the current weak product that seems ill prepared to contend in this league on a weekly basis. My brother - A Giants fan - always said the NFL should have relegation teams like fútbol; the 2016 Jets are a B-league joke this year. :(

So yeah! McCarthy.

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

As much as I don't want ANOTHER CS regime change - although the Bowles critics are starting to be validated IMO by these frustrating game plans & bone-head losses - McCarthy is the only candidate I would accept as a replacement next year due to the traits you stated.

We do need to break away from these defensive-minded "scared to lose b/c of my offense" HC philosophies that have prevailed since the 2000 Al Groh era to the present day CS. A Franchise QB helps, but the league is regulated to be entertaining due to offense  and the Jets need an offensive mentality that will NOT offend their loyal fans with the current weak product that seems ill prepared to contend in this league on a weekly basis. My brother - A Giants fan - always said the NFL should have relegation teams like fútbol; the 2016 Jets are a B-league joke this year. :(

So yeah! McCarthy.

I think the relegation concept would actually be better served for college football.  Have 10 divisions or so.  No conferences.  You finish in the top two, move up.  Bottom two? Move down.

That would eventually eliminate the absurd 65-3 scores college sees every week.  Play 10 games in a division with similar talent.

If minor league NFL existed, yes, relegation and promotion would be cool.

33 minutes ago, C Mart said:

This is what that schmuck Kay said on his radio show today. He went on a rant about this conspiracy theory and how the public character assassination of Marrone was an affront to "journalistic integrity" (RIP Gwen Ifil). The way he presented the facts about Marrone bailing Buffalo b/c he had a "SURE THING" w/the Jets made sense. What he said, and you stated the same, was that Marrone was Mac's initial choice prior to Bowles. That was NEWS to ME! I thought Bowles was Mac's original guy, so does one infer that Mac was overridden by Johnson or The Consultants: Cass & Wolf and had to acquiesce to Bowles??  Marrone is currently the OL Coach on  a soon-to-be-replaced Jax staff.

42 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Marrone will be the next HC of the Jaguars.

24 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

This is chicken or the egg to a degree.  Of course it is easier to coach with a superstar QB.  Doesn't mean McCarthy can't coach. 

Holmgren had Favre too. He also took a Hasselbeck to a SB with Seattle, if not for a couple of crucial bad calls, they would have won.

Marv Levy had Jim Kelly.  Anyone think he couldn't coach?

Marty Schottenheimer was close with three teams with quality QB's (playoff choking aside.)  Marty is super respected, biggest reason why his incompetent son keeps getting employed.

Of course there are others that failed after going from a great QB to crap.  Mike Shanahan comes to mind.

I'm just saying he had a bad rep with Favre.  He was bad early, grew into the job.  If  Packer fans were impatient like Jet fans he would have been fired early on.  

And Bowles has never had the benefit of a Favre, Rodgers, Kelly, Elway etc... So shouldn't he be given a chance?  Not like McCarthy is bringing Rodgers with him

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

This is what that schmuck Kay said on his radio show today. He went on a rant about this conspiracy theory and how the public character assassination of Marrone was an affront to "journalistic integrity" (RIP Gwen Ifil). The way he presented the facts about Marrone bailing Buffalo b/c he had a "SURE THING" w/the Jets made sense. What he said, and you stated the same, was that Marrone was Mac's initial choice prior to Bowles. That was NEWS to ME! I thought Bowles was Mac's original guy, so does one infer that Mac was overridden by Johnson or The Consultants: Cass & Wolf and had to acquiesce to Bowles??  Marrone is currently the OL Coach on  a soon-to-be-replaced Jax staff.

It's been mentioned previously. Woody. He didn't want the negative press over Marrone's hiring. Not a good way to start off a new regime. 

51 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Marrone already interviewed poorly for Woody, why would Woody go back to that well?

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm just saying he had a bad rep with Favre.  He was bad early, grew into the job.  If  Packer fans were impatient like Jet fans he would have been fired early on.  

And Bowles has never had the benefit of a Favre, Rodgers, Kelly, Elway etc... So shouldn't he be given a chance?  Not like McCarthy is bringing Rodgers with him

He has been given a chance. Bowles has made indefensible decisions.  Completely devoid of any logic whatsoever. Then he says he would make the same choices again. He admitted to having little interest in the offense. 

So, all he does is coach defense. What encouraging signs have you seen from this defense that he spends all his time with?  Game planning?  Passion?  Pass rush?  Turnovers?  Adjustments?

Anything?  Anything at all?

Bowles should go back to coaching a secondary somewhere else.  Oh wait... 

53 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thank you !!!!

Ummmm folks can't see this!!!

What does anyone think our record would be with Aaron Rogers at the helm?

And before some say anything stupid no it wouldn't be the same!   Guys play harder when you have a quality QB under center which makes the Packers situation all the more troubling!!!!

Come on Guys!!!

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

So we want the guy who couldn't win or get along with Rodgers then got fired?

He'll do better here.....with Petty.  And Hack?

Ok.

11 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

He has been given a chance. Bowles has made indefensible decisions.  Completely devoid of any logic whatsoever. Then he says he would make the same choices again. He admitted to having little interest in the offense. 

So, all he does is coach defense. What encouraging signs have you seen from this defense that he spends all his time with?  Game planning?  Passion?  Pass rush?  Turnovers?  Adjustments?

Anything?  Anything at all?

Bowles should go back to coaching a secondary somewhere else.  Oh wait... 

We have no idea how many indefensible decisions any other coach makes.  McCarthy is having a worse season than Bowles, by far.  But we should trade for him? 

Im not arguing that he has done a good job this season.  I will argue he got it done a year ago.  Patience is needed right now, no one is firing a HC after 2 seasons, one of which was a 10 win season. 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They won't fire him, but if they did he'd be a great hire. 

Marrone would also be a good choice because he wouldn't stand for the crap that Mo and Revis have done this season. 

Yeah, a tough guy coach would stop Revis from getting old.

28 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I thought Bowles was hired by Case and Wolf a day or so ahead of Macc and Bowles hire waited a day for Macc to sign off on it.  Don't remember Bowles being interviewed by Macc first. 

4 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So we want the guy who couldn't win or get along with Rodgers then got fired?

He'll do better here.....with Petty.  And Hack?

Ok.

Yeah we should stick with a noodle-arm qb and a noodle-brain head coach.

Who said that?

Archived