2017 Jets Head Coach: Mike McCarthy

RoadFan

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

You realize there's 1% chance Petty is our starting QB next year?  And I'm being generous.

I have no idea what % chance there is.  I'm certainly not jumping to definitive conclusions after one start.

Do you have a point on the topic, i.e. McCarthy?  If so I'm not seeing it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

I think the relegation concept would actually be better served for college football.  Have 10 divisions or so.  No conferences.  You finish in the top two, move up.  Bottom two? Move down.

That would eventually eliminate the absurd 65-3 scores college sees every week.  Play 10 games in a division with similar talent.

If minor league NFL existed, yes, relegation and promotion would be cool.

novel concept but it doesn't work in college b/c of graduations and players leaving early - unless you are alabama of course.     

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

You realize there's 1% chance Petty is our starting QB next year?  And I'm being generous.

I think it's higher than that.  Even if Petty isn't any good, look around the league at some guys that opened the season.  

McCown. Gabbert.  Keenum.  

What do the Jets have that is better than the above?  

I don't expect anything from Petty, but he is their best option right now and I think it is quite possible that doesnt change for 2017.  I am willing to try Big Bird Glennon at a modest price.  But certainly not holding my breath.

Damnit... none of this discussion would be necessary with Marcus. smh

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, a tough guy coach would stop Revis from getting old.

There are CBs at his age that play at a high level. Revis looks like he isn't trying. There are tackles he can make it if he laid out, but he  isn't laying out anymore. I am not suggesting he would be an all pro, but he is better than this. Dee Milliner is better than this.  

50 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There are CBs at his age that play at a high level. Revis looks like he isn't trying. There are tackles he can make it if he laid out, but he  isn't laying out anymore. I am not suggesting he would be an all pro, but he is better than this. Dee Milliner is better than this.  

And, so? There are yonger CBs playing below his level.  Means nothing, you actually believe people age exactly the same as others. 

Dee Milliner wished he was mentioned in the same breath as Revis.  

It's all about the quarterback, jack. McCarthy would suffer the same fate as Bowles with our quarterback situation.

If Mike Tomlin got fired tomorrow, he'd suffer the same fate as Bowles with our quarterback situation.

IT'S. ALL. ABOUT. THE. QUARTERBACK.

You cannot win consistently without one.

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

As much as I don't want ANOTHER CS regime change - although the Bowles critics are starting to be validated IMO by these frustrating game plans & bone-head losses - McCarthy is the only candidate I would accept as a replacement next year due to the traits you stated.

We do need to break away from these defensive-minded "scared to lose b/c of my offense" HC philosophies that have prevailed since the 2000 Al Groh era to the present day CS. A Franchise QB helps, but the league is regulated to be entertaining due to offense  and the Jets need an offensive mentality that will NOT offend their loyal fans with the current weak product that seems ill prepared to contend in this league on a weekly basis. My brother - A Giants fan - always said the NFL should have relegation teams like fútbol; the 2016 Jets are a B-league joke this year. :(

So yeah! McCarthy.

McCarthy or a billion dollars for Gruden.  That's it. The only two I'd be ok with foregoing a third year with Bowles for.

Hiring a coach on a backslide is just as bad as trying to fill QB and other key positions with other team's discards. Let them settle out somewhere else. 

I'd rather pick up somebody who is successfully running a college program similar to an NFL program. No goofy Chip Kelly nonsense. Bring in somebody with executive experience building a coaching staff and working with a young team. Hire in somebody with pro HC experience who is out of the league to act as a mentor. 

**** it. If you are going to go a lucky dip on a coach then try a college coach with creds.

I'd rather a college coach with success than a retread NFL coach.

I'm thinking Cowboys early 90s. Young team, successful college coach.

Jets should dump the old guys (except Forte, he's done everything asked for IMO) and go youth with a coach that can relate to youth.

Having a good QB has nothing to do with making bad coaching decisions. Sure it may hurt you in the  win loss column but no one would be mad at Bowles if he was trying new things and not using time outs like an idiot. After you got beat deep the 19th time you would think at some point there would be an adjustment and there simply was not. if you don't have the cover corners you think you had going into the season then its time to do something different with the Safety help and it just didn't happen for like the first 7 weeks of the season. Its also mind boggling we didn't use Powell more than the 4-6 touches he was getting in the beginning of the season instead giving a 31 year old RB 30 + touches for a 3 yard average of some very tough yards that will take its toll. Having Fitz throwing way to many deep to intermediate routes and slinging the ball like Brett Favre rather than using a short passing attack to draw in the defense then try and go deep. This team is run ass backwards and that's why Bowles is getting heat he's got a talented roster he's just a terrible coach and now that we see there may be locker room issues as well it just compounds the problem.

The reason organizations like the Packers are consistently good is that they don't make knee jerk reactions when it comes to coaches. They let clown organizations like the Jets, Browns, Bucs and  Jags listen to two-bit local reporter hacks and fan based websites to make decisions, while they let real football people make the tough choices. Nothing to see here.

10 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you !!!!

Ummmm folks can't see this!!!

What does anyone think our record would be with Aaron Rogers at the helm?

And before some say anything stupid no it wouldn't be the same!   Guys play harder when you have a quality QB under center which makes the Packers situation all the more troubling!!!!

Come on Guys!!!

The way he is playing this year ? Maybe 4-6 at best. Rodgers has been brutal this year.

4 hours ago, The Walrus said:

**** it. If you are going to go a lucky dip on a coach then try a college coach with creds.

I'd rather a college coach with success than a retread NFL coach.

I'm thinking Cowboys early 90s. Young team, successful college coach.

Jets should dump the old guys (except Forte, he's done everything asked for IMO) and go youth with a coach that can relate to youth.

I am on board with giving Nick Saban another shot in the NFL.  Said that before too.

Just stop.  McCarthy has probably the best QB in the NFL and GB is struggling offensively.  If he's 

such an "offensive genius" how is that even possible???  And why are there "rumors" of him getting fired?

I'll wait for a good answer (I won't get one).  Yes this season has been a massive disappointment and 

everyone from Maccagnan & Bowles down gets blame.  But stop ignoring the biggest reason for this

3-7 mess, the play of the QB!!!  If we had someone as competent as Alex Smith we would be 6-4 at worst

Has Bowles proven anything?  No, but he deserves more time.  Sometimes coaches need to go through

bad times early in their careers to find their footing.  Just look at Belichick in CLE and Parcells in his early

days with NYG.  That's not to say Bowles will become anything but 1.5 years is not a good enough sample

size

10 hours ago, RoadFan said:

He has been given a chance. Bowles has made indefensible decisions.  Completely devoid of any logic whatsoever. Then he says he would make the same choices again. He admitted to having little interest in the offense. 

So, all he does is coach defense. What encouraging signs have you seen from this defense that he spends all his time with?  Game planning?  Passion?  Pass rush?  Turnovers?  Adjustments?

Anything?  Anything at all?

Bowles should go back to coaching a secondary somewhere else.  Oh wait... 

I don't see how the give Bowles more time crowd can refute this post.  

11 hours ago, C Mart said:

Doug Marrone is next up. Was Mike M's choice but Woody got scared off by the Daily News hatchet job against Marrone. Marrone was close w/Cannizzaro when OL coach under Herm. DN was afraid Post would get all the inside scoops so they (Mehta & Lupica) went on a daily crusade against Marrone. 

Mccagnan and Marrone go back to World Football league days. Mcc signed Marrone to play for London. 

I could go for that.......  here's a good article on Marrone. Fair and Balanced on his leaving Buffalo.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13978933/how-doug-marrone-went-buffalo-bills-coach-jacksonville-jaguars-offensive-line-coach

So here's the scenario. We fire Bowles and hire McCarthy he loses big his first two games. The team is slaughtered. And these same people screaming for blood now are back at it again. You can't keep firing people every two years. And drafting a Qb every year. Mike Tomlin has had his ups and downs with Pittsburgh but they've stuck with him. Bowles is a second year head coach and he deserves a true chance to work with these players. Same goes for Mac. 

58 minutes ago, KRL said:

Just stop.  McCarthy has probably the best QB in the NFL and GB is struggling offensively.  If he's 

such an "offensive genius" how is that even possible???  And why are there "rumors" of him getting fired?

I'll wait for a good answer (I won't get one).  Yes this season has been a massive disappointment and 

everyone from Maccagnan & Bowles down gets blame.  But stop ignoring the biggest reason for this

3-7 mess, the play of the QB!!!  If we had someone as competent as Alex Smith we would be 6-4 at worst

How anyone can't see this is beyond ridiculous!!!

1 hour ago, shawn306 said:

The way he is playing this year ? Maybe 4-6 at best. Rodgers has been brutal this year.

Unmmmm Nooooooo!! :)

Even Rogers who has been "brutal" this year according to you and he's has , has been statistically better than Fitz.  Think about that. 

And that I believe that Rogers upside on his worst days can't honestly be compared to Fitz on his best days.   They are just two different level of athletes IMO.

If Rogers were on the Jets pundits would we saying we are a super bowl caliber type of team that is the difference my friend.

One is a first ballot HOF player and the other has to buy a ticket to visit.  

Come on now!!!

Archived