If We Fire Bowles Who Wnats to Come Here?

Lot K Tailgaters

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, joewilly12 said:

Many don't underestimate the job description as someone else posted lat night there are only 32 positions available. 

Ok, what GOOD coach is going to come here knowing that the minute he has a down season, the media will call for his job and the owner will axe him?

Just now, maury77 said:

Ok, what GOOD coach is going to come here knowing that the minute he has a down season, the media will call for his job and the owner will axe him?

Stay tuned we will all soon find out speculating now is senseless. 

How about my choice ANYONE BUT TODD BOWLES. 

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

You say that but after Walton....  the names that wouldn't come here was a pretty long list.   Thats how we got Coslett.

I read that in a Parcells book that he demanded certain power or he wouldnt come here.

Where do you come up with this stuff? Coslett?  He was the hot coordinator out of Cincy with their innovative offense.  What long list?  Cowher, who's turned everyone down? And who?  Parcells?  He was retiring, of course he made demands,  he made demands everywhere. But he came. How negative can you be, claim a guy who came here didn't want to come here too? Lol

NFL HC gigs are few and far between,  Unless it's a nightmare situation, maybe with alternatives. Do candidates turn anyone down.  Like Bowles said last night, there's pressure to win after day 1, you can be fired after 1 season.  If an owner fires a HC who wasn't getting it done it's a new opportunity not an issue

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Tom Coughlin made the playoffs once in his last 7 years. 

You're kidding, right?

SAR I

With Eli that is. What do we have?

Mac is going to get 3 or 4 years. I was behind Bowles but not sure anymore. A retread won't want to work for Mac or come someplace where we replace the HC every 2 years, but at some point you need a bit of fire and passion from your team.

Just now, rillo said:

Brilliant.

LIsten - I was all for keeping Bowles another year but last night really said something.  It said he's completely lost the team.

He won't recover from this and letting him go through the motions next year waiting to get fired is just cruel.

Let him move on.

12 minutes ago, peebag said:

LIsten - I was all for keeping Bowles another year but last night really said something.  It said he's completely lost the team.

He won't recover from this and letting him go through the motions next year waiting to get fired is just cruel.

Let him move on.

I'm ready to move on too, but I seriously doubt it happens.  Sets a bad precedent to let go a guy after his 2nd year.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

I would cast my vote for Josh McDaniels. He is young and has some experience as HC with Denver. That didn't work out because of Tim Tebow and the team was not about to fire John Elway over that dumb move so McDaniels was the scapegoat. He would bring an offensive mindset and would be a breath of fresh air with the media who is tired of Todd the mummy who - like Eric Mangini - is tight lipped to a fault. I don't know how much of a motivator McDaniels is but I would hope that Mac cleans house of the "pretenders" on this team and the guys just here for a paycheck. If he does then motivation should be easy....play hard or get kicked down the road.

He'll never go against Bills wishes, like Mangini did, and coach th Jets, in the same division etc.

10 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Simple question.  If we fire Bowles after two years who would really want to be our head coach knowing they don't have much time?  It was hard enough to get Bowles and Mac to come here after the Idzik billboards.  Firing them sounds great but most above average coaches wouldn't want anything to do with this organization.

3-9 in your second year is bad... no coach should be allowed to be that bad no matter the market.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Last time I checked Macc wasn't the GM of the Texans, but is a well respected talent guy around the league.  Bowles looks lost, different situation.  

I didn't like the Hack pick, but if he, or Petty,  steps on the field next year, and turns out to be an NFL QB,  Macc will be NFL front office guy of the year .......again

Until coming to the Jets, Bowles was a respected coach around the league. 

Maccagnan won his little award because he spent money his predecessor had saved up. Combine that with an impossibly easy schedule and a low threshold for improvement over the prior year, and there you have it. An award like that simply rewards big amounts of money spent, if it leads to an instant improvement, without any thought as to the actual wisdom of the moves.

Handing out big money to short term players (in the absence of a solution at QB, no less) instead of focusing on spending such big money on players with more than a 1-3 year future, can still win a GM executive of the year. Maccagnan is living proof of that.

List the largest new contracts Maccagnan has shelled out to incoming or incumbent players. After that, move over to expensive veterans he kept around at their millions (from which we'd be no worse off in their absence). Then check off which has proven wise and which unwise. That's how you measure the prowess of his veteran retention and acquisition. Mostly he's been a big failure, and this isn't even factoring into the many traded-away or uninspiring draft picks.

59 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Where do you come up with this stuff? Coslett?  He was the hot coordinator out of Cincy with their innovative offense.  What long list?  Cowher, who's turned everyone down? And who?  Parcells?  He was retiring, of course he made demands,  he made demands everywhere. But he came. How negative can you be, claim a guy who came here didn't want to come here too? Lol

NFL HC gigs are few and far between,  Unless it's a nightmare situation, maybe with alternatives. Do candidates turn anyone down.  Like Bowles said last night, there's pressure to win after day 1, you can be fired after 1 season.  If an owner fires a HC who wasn't getting it done it's a new opportunity not an issue

Its in the post. I read it in one of Parcells books. Coslett was a default choice according to the book written by Parcells.  Debate all you want, I cited my source.

I was against firing Bowles but after last night it def has me disgusted. It was like watching Kotite against the Raiders on MNF "The Vance Joseph Experiment" for all you youngins.

Anyway its simple and what should have been done in 2015. If you (Woody Johnson) truly believe in Bowles and Mac to build a legit contender, then you have to let them draft, play the young guys, accept the growing pains. No competitve rebuild, no band aids. At the very least you'll suck every year but you'll have a few years of high draft pick stock and a shot at drafting a franchise qb for the next regime.

If you keep Bowles, I'd expect changes to his staff. 

If you've lost faith, Bowles has to go and you get an offensive minded guy who can develop quarterbacks. 

Todd Haley

Mike Shanahan (yeah im serious. He was the one who drafted kirk cousins after rgIII was forced on him, and got fired because he wanted to start him over RGIII.) He has a history of good passing and running attacks. 

Josh McDaniels aint coming here

Sean Payton if his time is up in Nola

Mike McCarthy if Packers fold

John Harbaugh id love if for some reason Baltimore breaks down and picks him as a scapegoat. It'll never happen.

Mike Holmgren pipe dream

Mike Shula? I'd take a look at him

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Dont care under who he had 2 bad seasons after 1 decent one Macc drafted him in the 2nd round him not even dressing is a failure on everyone involved him not playing is a bigger failure. 

This is a subject (Penn State Football) that you clearly have no idea what you're speaking about.

34 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Until coming to the Jets, Bowles was a respected coach around the league. 

Maccagnan won his little award because he spent money his predecessor had saved up. Combine that with an impossibly easy schedule and a low threshold for improvement over the prior year, and there you have it. An award like that simply rewards big amounts of money spent, if it leads to an instant improvement, without any thought as to the actual wisdom of the moves.

Handing out big money to short term players (in the absence of a solution at QB, no less) instead of focusing on spending such big money on players with more than a 1-3 year future, can still win a GM executive of the year. Maccagnan is living proof of that.

List the largest new contracts Maccagnan has shelled out to incoming or incumbent players. After that, move over to expensive veterans he kept around at their millions (from which we'd be no worse off in their absence). Then check off which has proven wise and which unwise. That's how you measure the prowess of his veteran retention and acquisition. Mostly he's been a big failure, and this isn't even factoring into the many traded-away or uninspiring draft picks.

I think Mac won Executive of the Year primarily for putting together 2 trades of low round draft picks that resulted in one of the league's best passing tandems.   Their success (when combined with Decker and Enunwa's emergence) was indisputable.

When Mac and Bowles started, the Jets were out of the playoffs for 4 years in a row, and the Jets still had Harris, Mangold, Brick, Wilkerson and Richardon, in addition to Calvin Pace.   Woody thought he could steal Revis, and the Jets were looking at a last place schedule.  Woody told Macc to win now, and he went for it.  None of the 2015 contracts were really terrible, and they call give the Jets relatively decent outs for 2017/18, and Carpenter potentially gave the Jets a very good long-term left guard.  I think Macc's award for 2015 was deserved, and the call to go for it then was not a terrible one.  If the Jets had made the playoffs, that greatly affects optics, statistics, etc., and that 4 year number that is now 6 becomes only 1 this year.  I do note that in the 1990s and 2000s that Jets were much more regular visitors to the playoffs.

2016 is where the wheels feel off the cart for Macc and obviously Bowles.  Draft picks look more iffy, and some of the signings were curious.  The sophisticated case, was that the Jets management should have realized that the combination of aging players, tougher schedule and likely lack of repeated luck would result in a tougher year in 2016.   Macc knew to avoid the Fitz contract, but he was pressured to sign both Fitz and Mo so that 2016 could also be successful.  Those were mistakes, and I think Woody realizes that he was equally complicit.  I think there are signs that, if given the right direction, Macc would work again at building a football team from the ground up.   But he needs to be told to do that.  He has already built a staff out, and I think they need more of a chance.

I like Bowles, but I think his time may be up.  The only Bowles can coach better is if he is given a new and better OC and DC, but who is going to come here on a one year job?  it may be easier to start over completely.  A coach is always coaching for their job, and the players have really screwed him.  I feel bad for Bowles.  These guys are making him look just awful,  It is going to be very hard for Bowles to dig himself out of this hole.

1 hour ago, Ken Shroy said:

It is beyond ridiculous to say "no one would want to coach here".

It might be, but it's quite appropriate to question why an experienced, proven winner would. That's what this franchise needs, but if you're that guy and have multiple options, this isn't a very desirable one.

Unless there's a coach who really likes Hackenberg, I agree that it won't be a highly desirable job. Not a whole lot of promising young talent, won't have a ton of cap room, plenty of holes to fill, draft slot wouldn't guarantee a blue chip QB prospect even if there was one.

A lot going against us...but it is New York and that sells itself. 

Just now, Heights212 said:

Unless there's a coach who really likes Hackenberg, I agree that it won't be a highly desirable job. Not a whole lot of promising young talent, won't have a ton of cap room, plenty of holes to fill, draft slot wouldn't guarantee a blue chip QB prospect even if there was one.

As soon we cut all the slugs there will be cap room to work with. 

10 minutes ago, Heights212 said:

New York is a selling point to some, but the microscope that it comes with is a turnoff to many. There is no prestige associated with this organization whatsoever.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Its in the post. I read it in one of Parcells books. Coslett was a default choice according to the book written by Parcells.  Debate all you want, I cited my source.

What would Parcellls know about Coslett? Nothing to debate, coslett was a good pick to take over.  Just didn't work out.  Happens all the time.  

Still waiting on the long list of HC candidates you said turned us down.  There's more to debating than being negative every time you type in response to a post.   We all know Cowher turned us a long with every other team down.  The rest of the candidates that make up this long list? 

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What would Parcellls know about Coslett? Nothing to debate, coslett was a good pick to take over.  Just didn't work out.  Happens all the time.  

Still waiting on the long list of HC candidates you said turned us down.  There's more to debating than being negative every time you type in response to a post.   We all know Cowher turned us a long with every other team down.  The rest of the candidates that make up this long list? 

I dont remember the list, not sure Parcells mentioned them. He did say there was a long list. Read one of his books. He wrote 3 under a contract.

Just now, rillo said:

Fail to see what big name would come here, knowing you have 2 years to turn it around or get fired.

It's not the fact that he couldn't turn it around in two years.  It's the fact that in two years he's shown himself to be a terrible coach.  He can't motivate anyone, he has the charisma of a tree stump, his players don't respect him, his defensive scheming sucks, and he's a moron on top of it.  

It's obvious to the fans, don't think it's not obvious to Woody.  

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Idzik shouldn't have been hired in the first place.  Idzik was a book keeper, zero scouting background.  Making matters worst he was trying to make football talent  decisions.  Jets have a good book keeper in place in Jackie Davidson. Macc needs to be given a chance to see if he knows talent.  Mixed reviews so far, but it is still way up in the air.

All idzik had to do was just hit on some of his picks and he'd still be here. I liked his plan, trim fat, get under cap, get picks, brilliant plan that will set up your team for long term success. Problem is, this whole plan relies on hitting on your picks, which he did not. It also requires a more patient fan base, such as Cleveland. His 'plan'  is a great plan in my opinion.  It's how you should Really rebuild a team. It's just he didn't execute at all in drafting. He hit on a few gems but that's it. He kind of get hosed with Ryan to. Not defending idzik but I liked his plan. 

3 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

It's not the fact that he couldn't turn it around in two years.  It's the fact that in two years he's shown himself to be a terrible coach.  He can't motivate anyone, he has the charisma of a tree stump, his players don't respect him, his defensive scheming sucks, and he's a moron on top of it.  

It's obvious to the fans, don't think it's not obvious to Woody.  

I just decorated my house and can tell you, my tree stump has plenty of charisma when compared to Bubba Gump Bowles.

How the hell did ever get through a job interview?

Archived