Hackenberg comps

AFJF

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

The new CBA really sucks for this. Hack wasn't able to get into the facility until recently. I am sure they are working on it. But it would have been great it if could have been addressed last year like you said. No reason to wait a whole year if they plan on changing anything.

This might be one of the top reasons QBs aren't being developed properly & with Brady, Big Ben, Brees, Alex Smith, Rivers, Eli, Palmer, all of these QBs are getting older, and who knows how many years they have left?

Without a QB in today's NFL you have no chance based on the rule changes to encourage scoring & limit the damage defenses in do compared to years past. Holding is allowed on the inside, usually it's just edge holds that are called but it's clear refs protect guys like Brady as the Pats threw the ball in the Super Bowl 63 times with 1 holding call in the 1st quarter none in the entire 2nd half where they threw the ball 90% of the time.

The CBA needs to take into account exactly how important QBs are to the future of the game & come up with offseason exceptions for QBs to train in the offseason with their teams coaching staff. Their not tackling in these practices so it's ridiculous that you can't work QBs in the offseason. The NFLs future depends on replacing some of these young QBs. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

The thing that frustrates me about Hackenberg is that they were supposed to work on his mechanics this offseason.  We fired the quarterbacks coach and have know idea if they are even addressing that this mini-camp.  Hopefully John Morton is somebody who knows what he's doing.

Yes the New CBA hurts player development, but with a QB he can focus on mechanical work without the staff around with a private QB coach.

Eli Manning was absolutely horrid his first few seasons and while I still view him as an average to good QB (way too many INTS) he did make a few nice playoff runs so he could be a QB who started off pretty bad then became a good QB. Of course he does have 2 SB rings but they certainly could be attributed to a hot defense and some prayers he heaved up.

They drafted Hackenberg knowing he'd need time to develop. Garroppolo sat for about 4 years before playing this year. No one cared obviously because they have Brady and keep winning. 

Obviously Mac and Bowles hopes Fitz would have been good enough in 2016 and bring back for 2017 until Hackenberg was ready.

The point is, the franchise everyone wants to emulate drafted a qb in the 2nd round and let him develop for years. Its not unheard of. 

17 hours ago, AFJF said:

Okay, I know I've said a lot of stuff about Hack that may come across as me not liking the guy or not willing to give him a chance, but that's not the case.  Yes, I did watch him A LOT in the preseason and saw him consistently struggle to throw a spiral, something that I think is essential for an NFL QB.

That being said, I'm still holding out hope that the kid has the goods.

As bad as he was, he made what I believe was the single best throw of camp when the Jets were indoors one day and he dropped a beautiful 50ish yard bomb right in Charone Peake's hands inside the five yard line but those types of throws were few and far between.

Can anyone think of a QB who looked as bad as Hack did last season and still went on to be a quality NFL QB?

Ryan Leaf?

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Eli Manning was absolutely horrid his first few seasons and while I still view him as an average to good QB (way too many INTS) he did make a few nice playoff runs so he could be a QB who started off pretty bad then became a good QB. Of course he does have 2 SB rings but they certainly could be attributed to a hot defense and some prayers he heaved up.

Did Eli have less than 50% completion facing practice squad guys?

the jets draft will tell us what we need to know about hackenberg.  if the jets take trubisky or mahomes in the first round, then mccags knows hack sucks.  if they take pederman in the 2nd, that tells you hack sucks.  if they take dobbs with the supplemental pick in the 3rd round, there's hope.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the jets draft will tell us what we need to know about hackenberg.  if the jets take trubisky or mahomes in the first round, then mccags knows hack sucks.  if they take pederman in the 2nd, that tells you hack sucks.  if they take dobbs with the supplemental pick in the 3rd round, there's hope.

Mac and Bowles know Hack sucks but they are not drafting a Qb because they are inept

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

Mac and Bowles know Hack sucks but they are not drafting a Qb because they are inept

i disagree.  mccags has drafted 2 qbs so far, and i expect him to draft another this year.  the question is which round.  they have 2 picks in the 3rd round.  they may trade back in the first and get more.  where they take a qb will say a lot about hack and his development this past year or lack thereof.  

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i disagree.  mccags has drafted 2 qbs so far, and i expect him to draft another this year.  the question is which round.  they have 2 picks in the 3rd round.  they may trade back in the first and get more.  where they take a qb will say a lot about hack and his development this past year or lack thereof.  

So why give McClown a $6 million contract?  For the fun of it?

1 minute ago, thadude said:

So why give McClown a $6 million contract?  For the fun of it?

b/c petty will probably be gone, replaced by whomever they draft.  hackenberg may not be ready to start the season as the starter, so they bring in a guy who could play until hack is ready.  the draft will say a lot.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

The new CBA really sucks for this. Hack wasn't able to get into the facility until recently. I am sure they are working on it. But it would have been great it if could have been addressed last year like you said. No reason to wait a whole year if they plan on changing anything.

I'm just confused as to why they just let him rot on the vine all of last season.  Hire an actual QBs coach, (we didn't) even if it's just for Hack to work with that guy every day on his mechanics instead of having him run scout team drills. What an inept organization. Top to bottom. Same Old Jets. A f*cking disgrace.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Even now they technically can't work with him, at least from what I've read. The first 2 weeks of OTAs ("Phase One") are limited to rehab and strength/conditioning training. No coaching or even individual work on the field is permitted. Phase 2 begins week 3 of OTAs, after which they can do individual work with players (but still no live contact or offense vs defense type practice/work). 

This would mean the first actual QB coaching Hackenberg is permitted to get from Jets coaches is May 1st. Until that point the only work he could get is with a private QB coach/trainer he's hired on his own.

Missed opportunity was the 4 months of the 2016 regular season, once final rosters had been set and they'd relegated Hackenberg to 4th string. Then the team (read: the GM) could have hired its own raw-prospect QBC for a draftee like Hackenberg (or Petty the prior season). That time has come and gone, though.

15 hours ago, PCP63 said:

How did Hack "look bad"? What, a few bad practice throws, and one bad preseason game after a good one? Hardly evidence to his terribleness.

Coaching staff must have really been impressed with Hack because he was wearing pajamas on the sidelines until week 17

Eli looked pretty bad year 1 and 2. And by year 4 if he didnt have the year he had, there was talk and him and Cougin being gone.

Brees looked really bad at first and showed nothing to make San Diego consider keeping him.

Terry Bradshaw

Johnny U was horrible when he first came into the league.

Steve Young needed a long time

Rich Gannon needed a decade lol

Tony Romo even though went undrafted, took 4 years to become a starter. He was borderline getting cut his first two years.

Troy Aikman didnt look good his first or second year.

Hasselback was a career backup and then got it in Seattle.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Eli looked pretty bad year 1 and 2. And by year 4 if he didnt have the year he had, there was talk and him and Cougin being gone.

Brees looked really bad at first and showed nothing to make San Diego consider keeping him.

Terry Bradshaw

Tony Romo even though went undrafted, took 4 years to become a starter. He was borderline getting cut his first two years.

what the jets do in the first 2 rounds will say a lot about what they think of hack.  i could see a scenario where they don't take a qb until the 4th round, and i could see them trading back with cleveland and taking mahomes right before the chiefs and cardinals pick.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

what the jets do in the first 2 rounds will say a lot about what they think of hack.  i could see a scenario where they don't take a qb until the 4th round, and i could see them trading back with cleveland and taking mahomes right before the chiefs and cardinals pick.  

We've heard so many conflicting reports about Hackenberg. 

"He cant hit the ocean." "He'll never make it."

with "Behind the scenes he progressed well." "He just needs reps."

You're right, if they do or dont take a qb it will be very telling. 

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Terry Bradshaw

Johnny U was cut by the Steelers, he was worse than bad.

Young was as bad as jets fans think Hack is and he's in the HOF.

38 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Johnny U was cut by the Steelers, henwas worse than bad.

Young was as bad as jets fans think Hack is and he's in the HOF.

Jim Plunkett  won 2 SB with the Raiders, but was  less than stellar in his early career .   It takes time and consistency in a scheme to develop a starting QB . In his 1st year under Kid Shanny, Matt Ryan looked lost but led his team to the SB in his 2nd year .

19 hours ago, AFJF said:

Okay, I know I've said a lot of stuff about Hack that may come across as me not liking the guy or not willing to give him a chance, but that's not the case.  Yes, I did watch him A LOT in the preseason and saw him consistently struggle to throw a spiral, something that I think is essential for an NFL QB.

That being said, I'm still holding out hope that the kid has the goods.

As bad as he was, he made what I believe was the single best throw of camp when the Jets were indoors one day and he dropped a beautiful 50ish yard bomb right in Charone Peake's hands inside the five yard line but those types of throws were few and far between.

Can anyone think of a QB who looked as bad as Hack did last season and still went on to be a quality NFL QB?

I think you are exaggerating how bad Hack looked in preseason, with the whole spiral nonsense.

In preseason Hack looked like a rookie that needed a lot of work. But he didn't look as awful as you make it seem. There was a lot of good along with the bad. I have talked about this on this forum ad nauseum.

The Bad: these are just the things that jumped out at me. 

-Maddeningly inconsistent accuracy.

-Poor footwork, at times.

-An inability to make the proper reads, at times.

-Poor pocket awareness.

The Good:

-The ability to come to the line, read the defense and change the play. Good command of the offense.

-Good pocket presence. This is not the same as good pocket awareness, what I mean here is that he was able to step into the pocket and make a confident throw despite a collapsing pocket or the defenders coming off the edge. More importantly, this showed that he is not 'shell shocked' from being hammered behind an awful O-line at Penn State. 

-Ability to make 'all the throws'. He is able to bomb it deep, throw a beautiful fade, sling in over the middle, etc., etc. When scouts say QBs can make 'all the throws' I assume that they have to be accurate. And as inconsistent as Hack was with his accuracy, he DID have great accuracy on some of those throws. Some were dropped, some were caught, and of course, he had that beautiful fade to Anderson for a TD- thrown perfectly.

-Goes through his progressions. This may seem like a little things, but there area  lot of NFL QBs that still do not do this on a regular basis., So to see a rookie do it is definitely a positive.

Overall, Hack looked like a developmental rookie with a ton of talent and some recognizable intangibles. He looked like his biggest issue was accuracy and consistency. He looked like he had all the tools and was ahead of the curve with the mental aspect of the game, but still nowhere near ready to start.

I expect him to look a A LOT better in camp and preseason this year. I don't know if he will be any good if he actually wins the QB competition. He could still be a complete bust. But I would also not be surprised if he came out of the gate and played well. I think the best you can hope for (right now) is that he wins out the job and has a solid 'rookie' season a starter, with typical ups and down you tend to see players in their first year as a QB in the NFL.       

Archived