Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AFJF

Fess up...your hits and misses

97 posts in this topic

Good:

Austin Sefarian Jenkins: I wanted the Jets to draft him, and while we haven't seen enough yet, I still think he is going to show why he was touted so high.

Melvin Ingram: I always had the Jets taking him, and believe he would have been a STUD for us.

Alshon Jeffrey: Had Ingram and Jeffrey in my mock drafts online.  I should have had the first two picks in 2012!

Derek Carr: I wanted Carr, but understood why he wasn't taken.  See below for Bad.

Jamal Adams: We don't know yet, but when I saw mock drafts having him fall to us, I was thinking "Not a chance this kid who could be as good as Polamalu."  I was purdy happy, and think this was a great pick.

Paxton Lynch: Remains to be seen, but I still think this was the pick over Darron Lee.  I still think Lee will be okay, but when you don't have a QB....

TJ WATT: I like Maye, but I wanted the Jets to be bold and move back into round one to get JJ's brother.  Imagine Adams AND Watt for rounds 1 and 2.  Who knows, he could bust though.

BAD:

Geno Smith: Was happy with the pick, thought he would come in with a chip falling to the 2nd round AND being the second QB picked.  Didn't pan out.

Bryce Petty: Was exactly the guy I wanted the Jets to pick, thought he might develop, but doesn't look like it.  I will take a QB as good as Petty in the 4th any day to see if it translates to NFL caliber.

Christian Hackenberg: Wanted the Jets to take a flyer on him, just not in the second round.  I don't think he will work, but I am HOPING.

Kellen  Clemens: I believed the Jawarski hype; I thought he could have been the QB for us.

Ryan Leaf: Apparently, I should not judge QB's.  I thought he would have battled Peyton his whole career.  Oops.

Kenrick Ellis: Thought we should have traded Snacks to get a boat-load because Ellis was going to be as good.

Jerry Hughes: Couldn't believe the Jets didn't take him.  While better than Kyle Wilson, I thought he would have been a perennial pro-bowler.

I would add Johnny Manziel to the good.  I knew this kid was going to fall flat on his face in the NFL, and could not BELIEVE the number of fans that wanted the Jets to take him in the 1st round.  It blew my mind that people could not see this kid was going to INDY 500 crash into a fiery ball of death flames in the NFL.  

Hit: Big Ben- I knew he'd be the guy; Devin McCourty- I wanted him but there's more to that draft below; Jeremy Kerley- we drafted him and I was sure he'd be out slot guy for years; Burfict- I knew all the issues he had were gonna be overshadowed by his talent

Miss: Sanchez- I came around on him before the draft; Kyle Wilson- I couldn't believe he fell to us I was hyped, I was wrong; Gholston-everyone knew he was gonna be our pick so I came around before the draft and bought the "he beat Jake Long hype"

I was all in on Geno Smith.  That should tell you all you need to know regarding my player evaluation prowess. 

18 hours ago, AFJF said:

I'm sure I've started a similar thread to this in the past, or seen one that somebody else started, but I always think they're pretty cool if people are honest enough.

Who are some players you liked/loved coming out of college who you were right about, and who proved you dead wrong?

A few of mine...

Hits:

JJ Watt, Ben Roethlesberger, Dre' Bly, Leon Washington, Brandin Cooks, Martavis Bryant and even though he's only played one season, I really liked Dak.

Misses:

D-Rob, Justin Blackmon, Mark Barron, Quinton Coples, Michael Myers, Dakota Dozier (might be a solid pro, but I thought he'd win a starting job by year three), Dee Milliner, Jarvis Jones and waiting to join the list...Hack.

Whatcha got JN?

I think we both need to have Ryan Fitzpatrick on our "misses" list.  Fitz is why it says "F" under my avatar.  F for Failure. 

7 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Hit: Jerrod Mayo, Nick Mangold, Eric Berry 

Miss: Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Jace Amaro

I loved Earl Thomas as much if not more then Berry, but loved both, so I guess those 2 are hits for me.  On a related note I think both Adams, and Hooker will be looked at in the same view as Berry, and Thomas when their careers are established a few years down the road.

36 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Good:

Austin Sefarian Jenkins: I wanted the Jets to draft him, and while we haven't seen enough yet, I still think he is going to show why he was touted so high.

Melvin Ingram: I always had the Jets taking him, and believe he would have been a STUD for us.

Alshon Jeffrey: Had Ingram and Jeffrey in my mock drafts online.  I should have had the first two picks in 2012!

Derek Carr: I wanted Carr, but understood why he wasn't taken.  See below for Bad.

Jamal Adams: We don't know yet, but when I saw mock drafts having him fall to us, I was thinking "Not a chance this kid who could be as good as Polamalu."  I was purdy happy, and think this was a great pick.

Paxton Lynch: Remains to be seen, but I still think this was the pick over Darron Lee.  I still think Lee will be okay, but when you don't have a QB....

TJ WATT: I like Maye, but I wanted the Jets to be bold and move back into round one to get JJ's brother.  Imagine Adams AND Watt for rounds 1 and 2.  Who knows, he could bust though.

BAD:

Geno Smith: Was happy with the pick, thought he would come in with a chip falling to the 2nd round AND being the second QB picked.  Didn't pan out.

Bryce Petty: Was exactly the guy I wanted the Jets to pick, thought he might develop, but doesn't look like it.  I will take a QB as good as Petty in the 4th any day to see if it translates to NFL caliber.

Christian Hackenberg: Wanted the Jets to take a flyer on him, just not in the second round.  I don't think he will work, but I am HOPING.

Kellen  Clemens: I believed the Jawarski hype; I thought he could have been the QB for us.

Ryan Leaf: Apparently, I should not judge QB's.  I thought he would have battled Peyton his whole career.  Oops.

Kenrick Ellis: Thought we should have traded Snacks to get a boat-load because Ellis was going to be as good.

Jerry Hughes: Couldn't believe the Jets didn't take him.  While better than Kyle Wilson, I thought he would have been a perennial pro-bowler.

I would add Johnny Manziel to the good.  I knew this kid was going to fall flat on his face in the NFL, and could not BELIEVE the number of fans that wanted the Jets to take him in the 1st round.  It blew my mind that people could not see this kid was going to INDY 500 crash into a fiery ball of death flames in the NFL.  

Half your list hasn't even played a game, or more than a handful WTF?  That's like saying back in 06 I knew Rodgers should have stayed in that green room longer cmon.

The past couple years, as I've grown to like the "take one every year" approach, I like to target a QB or 2 for us - outside the 1st round every year.

I've "banged the table" for:

• 2017: Nathan Peterman
  • 2016: Dak Prescott and Jacoby Brissett
  • 2015: Brett Hundley, Bryce Petty
  • 2014: Jimmy Garrapolo, Kevin Savage
  • 2013: Landry Jones
  • 2012: Brock Osweiler, Kirk Cousins

Some solid choices in there, imo.

Jets hits and misses

HR Fitzpatrick, I called him a fraud from day 1 2015, and never stopped calling him a fraud.

Sanchez, was so pissed when the Jets traded up for him, I wanted Crabtree after we traded up, and was all aboard for Nicks before we traded up.

Leo Williams that's to easy thou.

Mo Wilk, all the info on the kid was pointing towards a guy who would work hard, and succeed.  I guess the work hard is in question now.

Coples, couldn't stand the pick.

Every Idzik pick except Sheldon, hated every single pick, and Sheldon, and I guess Q are the only ones that proved me to be wrong on, but I thought I could have drafted better those 2 years then not in hindsight 2013 I remember loving Trufant, Rhodes, Reid, and Hopkins 1st round, and loving Glennon, and the Honey Badger later in the draft.  2014 wanted ODB so bad, but out of reach hated Pryor pick liked Dennard, Kelvin Benjamin, and Cooks, but also wanted Manziel so, 2nd Rd loved A Robinson so much was pissed.

Misses

Kyle Wilson 

Stephen Hill

Sheldon Richardson didn't like the pick.

I'm sure there is a ton more.

huge miss -  Browning Nagle.  I thought the gunslinger from Louisville was the one and was heartbroken when he turned out to suck.   

non-Jet miss - Peter Warrick.

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think we both need to have Ryan Fitzpatrick on our "misses" list.  Fitz is why it says "F" under my avatar.  F for Failure. 

I was talking more about guys coming out of college, and I have no issues with wanting Fitz last season.  As I said several times during the offseason, I would have preferred a trade for Glennon.  I didn't want Fitz because I thought he was a great choice, but I wanted Fitz because the alternative was Geno.

Even after the year Fitz just had, he got $2 mil guaranteed and Geno got $850K.  We weren't alone in wanting Fitz over Geno, and the league still feels the same way.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I was talking more about guys coming out of college, and I have no issues with wanting Fitz last season.  As I said several times during the offseason, I would have preferred a trade for Glennon.  I didn't want Fitz because I thought he was a great choice, but I wanted Fitz because the alternative was Geno.

Even after the year Fitz just had, he got $2 mil guaranteed and Geno got $850K.  We weren't alone in wanting Fitz over Geno, and the league still feels the same way.

Geno getting 850K has everything to do with his injury, and nothing to do with his football talent.

Fitzpatrick getting 2 million shows how ******* stupid the Jets are by giving him 12 the previous season when nobody else would have gave him more then 2 million last year either.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Geno getting 850K has everything to do with his injury, and nothing to do with his football talent.

Fitzpatrick getting 2 million shows how ******* stupid the Jets are by giving him 12 the previous season when nobody else would have gave him more then 2 million last year either.

Matthew Stafford is coming up on free agency in the near future.  If he hurts his leg before hitting free agency, is he going to get a low ball offer and have to accept $2 million, or is he going to get a mega contract b/c teams know how good of a QB he is?

Jets gave Fitz $12 million b/c Bowles was foolish enough to name him the starter.  That gave Fitz the leverage he needed to demand starter money.  Bowles said himself in his post season presser this season that he wasn't going to comment on starters because "it got me in trouble last year" or something along those lines.

Bottom line is that the Jets QB was going to be Fitz or Geno and I preferred Fitz.  I have no issue with taking a career journeyman over the two-time defending worst starting quarterback in the NFL.

Bad

Kellen Clemens.   I thought we got a steal.   Pryor I thought would be good.   Ducasse, I liked the idea of a freakishly strong guard.

Good.

I was not high on Sanchez, thought he had not played enough.   Brick and Mangold, was thrilled.  

Jace Amaro was one of my favorite Jets draft picks in the past 15 years.  I was wrong.

My list would be a mile long so I'll go recent:

Hits: Derek Carr (thought he was the best QB prospect in a few years), Brandond Scherff

Misses: Jace Amaro, Chance Warmack

I have supported every Jets player ever.

So pretty much I have been wrong on every pick ever.

Except Rob Moore. Nailed that one. :)

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I have supported every Jets player ever.

So pretty much I have been wrong on every pick ever.

Except Rob Moore. Nailed that one. :)

Taking Moore in the supplemental draft cost the Jets the 1st round pick they could have used on Favre, who Ron Wolf as Dick Steinberg's draft guy was all freaking over. 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Taking Moore in the supplemental draft cost the Jets the 1st round pick they could have used on Favre, who Ron Wolf as Dick Steinberg's draft guy was all freaking over. 

Bugg just kicked Max's teeth in regarding Max's one source of Jets pride.

And I'm here for it.

I usually don't like to pat myself on the back for being right on picks, but I'll play along. I won't go with any 1st rounders for "hits" because that's too easy.  Just 3rd rd or later guys that I was all in on and loved who I knew would pan out. They also generally fall in line with Jets areas of need.

Hits: Will Witherspoon, Randy Starks, Justin Tuck, Brandon Mebane, Cliff Avril, Tyvon Branch, Mike Wallace, Jason McCourty, Eric Decker, Justin Houston, Nigel Bradham, Keenan Allen, Ricky Wagner, Donte Montcrief, Terrance West, Carl Bradford, Jay Ajayi, David Johnson, Tevin Coleman, Gabe Jackson

As for misses, I can probably list a lot of guys, but i'll just go with the highlight reel of guys I was WAY wrong on.

Misses: Sylvester Morris, Ashley Lelie, Boss Bailey, Igor Olshansky, Cadillac Williams, Lofa Totupu, Vince Young, Lendale White, Omobi Okoye, Brady Quinn, Adam Carricker, Jarvis Moss, Vernon Gholston, Jeff Otah, James Hardy, Brian Robiskie, Chase Coffman, Taylor Mays, Terrance Cody, Ed Dickson, Whitney Mercilus, David Wilson, Kelechi Osemele, Kiki Mingo, Dri Archer

55 minutes ago, Bugg said:

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bugg just kicked Max's teeth in regarding Max's one source of Jets pride.

And I'm here for it.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!  Only on JetNation. Rob Moore seemed like a safe player to plug in to my joke.

I should have known better! Too funny.

Hit - Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Joe Montana, Dave Casper, Bo Jackson, OJ Simpson 

Miss - Browning Nagle, Johnny Lam Jones, Johnny Mitchell, Aundry Bruce, Todd Marinovich, OJ Simpson 

14 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I was all in on Geno Smith.  That should tell you all you need to know regarding my player evaluation prowess. 

This is hit or miss NOT atrocities. 🤢

Hits: O'dell Beckham, Ziggy Ansah, Melvin Ingram, Earl Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders

Misses: Kyle Wilson, Michael Floyd, Trent Richardson

On 2017-07-12 at 9:28 AM, Lupz27 said:

Half your list hasn't even played a game, or more than a handful WTF?  That's like saying back in 06 I knew Rodgers should have stayed in that green room longer cmon.

Half the list, huh? 

This game shouldn't allow top 10 picks.

"I was high on AJ Green!..."