Game Observations (BUF)

KRL

As any reasonable Jet fan knows wins are going to be hard to come by this season.  So progress
has to be measured in other ways and in the first game of the season there were failures all 
over the place:

- Todd Bowles failed on multiple levels, his game management and defense to name a few.  If
you're going to be aggressive and go for the TD on 4th down and go for 2 pts in the third
quarter, you can't punt down two scores with time running out in the game!!!  In addition
after three years of getting the personnel you want on defense, you can't have the amount
of mistakes in execution which allowed simple plays to become "chunk" plays.  Also, what happened
to the secure tackling we saw in the pre-season???  There were whiffs all over the field

- The offense was a continuation of what was seen in camp and the pre-season.  There's no
OLine push in the run game which allows the defense to crowd the box and sit on every WR 
route.  With a compressed offense the only thing available is quick "dinks & dunks" which 
don't stretch the field.  This won't change until the OLine generates push in the run game.
As ineffective as they were the team was only down 14-12 in the 4th quarter.  The big culprits
in this loss was the defense

- An example of how stats don't tell the story, Demario Davis & Darron Lee both had
big games in the stat sheet.  But they may have played the worst interior LB game I've ever
seen!!!  In run defense, zone pass defense and man to man pass defense all they did all game
was guess wrong, leave their lanes and allow simple plays to turn into disasters.  Don't
let anyone fool you they were the main culprits in giving up 200 yards on the ground

- Unfortunate bad luck on the Juston Burris INT, he trips over his teammate (Marcus Maye?)
at midfield which sends him to the ground.  If he doesn't trip it's probably a 105 yard
pick 6 because there were no BUF players in front of him

- Good games by Kony Ealy & Josh Martin at the OLB spots.  Both brought pressure and set
good edges in the run game

- On offense Jermaine Kearse & Will Tye made an impact after only a week.  Kearse with 
tough catches over the middle and Tye with physical running after the catch

- Kalif Raymond needs to secure the ball better, but he did show a glimmer of hope that he
can help in the return game with that 20+ yard punt return

- Excellent leg strength by Chris Catanzaro on his FG's and kickoffs.  And Lachlan Edwards
except for that one shank was excellent in changing field position with his punts

- Awful game by Matt Forte, I know there were no running lanes but you can't drop two screen
passes

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much agree.  There was one play where they pathetically gave up the edge and I thought it was Jenkins, but the replay showed that they had looped or left Lee out there.  It was either a terrible job by him or there was supposed to be someone filling in around the outside.  At least one of the drops by Forte was probably for the best, but he did not look good.  Adams looked fairly good to me, better than in the preseason.  There still seem to be a ton of blown assignments.  I thought that was all because of Pryor and Rex Ryan?

I believe that you don't go for two until you absolutely have to to have it. If you end up not converting you chase that point the rest of the game. Kick the extra point, make it a one point game. When Buffalo marched down the field and scored again, now it becomes a two score game instead of one

The punt in an 8 point game makes a little more sense than punting down 9 and needing two scores.

The offense is gonna be putrid pretty much all season. McCown has had very little game time with the new WR's, the OL stinks and the running game is bleh at best. 

I'm not down though because I expect the offense to be awful. Bad coaching decisions by Bowles though, totally unacceptable.

22 minutes ago, KRL said:

round

- Unfortunate bad luck on the Juston Burris INT, he trips over his teammate (Marcus Maye?)
at midfield which sends him to the ground.  If he doesn't trip it's probably a 105 yard

On the reply, you see he has one Jet behind him, one beside him, and three in front of him, but it was the Bills lineman who shoves the defender running beside him directly into Burris which causes him to fall.  Bad luck, but a smart play by the Bills player on that one.

25 minutes ago, KRL said:

As any reasonable Jet fan knows wins are going to be hard to come by this season.  So progress
has to be measured in other ways and in the first game of the season there were failures all 
over the place:

- Tood Bowles failed on multiple levels, his game management and defense to name a few.  If
you're going to be aggressive and go for the TD on 4th down and go for 2 pts in the third
quarter, you can't punt down two scores with time running out in the game!!!  In addition
after three years of getting the personnel you want on defense, you can't have the amount
of mistakes in execution which allowed simple plays to become "chunk" plays.  Also, what happened
to the secure tackling we saw in the pre-season???  There were whiffs all over the field

- The offense was a continuation of what was seen in camp and the pre-season.  There's no
OLine push in the run game which allows the defense to crowd the box and sit on every WR 
route.  With a compressed offense the only thing available is quick "dinks & dunks" which 
don't stretch the field.  This won't change until the OLine generates push in the run game.
As ineffective as they were the team was only down 14-12 in the 4th quarter.  The big culprits

- An example of how stats don't tell the story, Demario Davis & Darron Lee both had
big games in the stat sheet.  But they may have played the worst interior LB game I've ever
seen!!!  In run defense, zone pass defense and man to man pass defense all they did all game
was guess wrong, leave their lanes and allow simple plays to turn into disasters.  Don't
let anyone fool you they were the main culprits in giving up 200 yards on the ground

- Good games by Kony Ealy & Josh Martin at the OLB spots.  Both brought pressure and set

- On offense Jermaine Kearse & Will Tye made an impact after only a week.  Kearse with 

- Kalif Raymond needs to secure the ball better, but he did show a glimmer of hope that he

- Excellent leg strength by Chris Catanzaro on his FG's and kickoffs.  And Lachlan Edwards
except for that one shank was excellent in changing field position with his punts

- Awful game by Matt Forte, I know there were no running lanes but you can't drop two screen
passes

Good stuff as usual KRL.  Loved what we saw from Martin at OLB.

I honestly think this is a much different game if there's not a mobile QB back there.  The D-line brought a ton of pressure that Taylor was able to evade.  If they get that kind of play from the front seven against Carr, they could come away with a huge sack total.

Only thing is Burris...I don't think he tripped on Maye.  A Buffalo player shoved Maye into Burris and he landed on the back of Burris' legs.

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

McCown looked pretty good.  The ball gets there WAY quicker than it did with Fitzpatrick, but Gannon's point about him throwing over the middle seemed pertinent.  He didn't seem to throw outside too much.

[Disclaimer: This isn't a shot at you, Dom, this is my frustration spilling out and needing to vent a little more]

When you compare these stats, it might address some of why the ball got there quicker.

2015 (Fitz):  Y/A - 6.9   Y/C - 11.7
2016 (Fitz):  Y/A - 6.7   Y/C - 11.9
2017 (McC): Y/A - 4.8   Y/C - 7.2

When you're only throwing 2/3 as far on average, the ball is going to get there faster.  The good news for McCown is that of the games played so far, he doesn't have the lowest Y/A number.  Deshaun Watson beat him by a hair.  He does have the lowest Y/C stat though so not all is lost.

I say this to bring some light on what we all saw.  McCown threw a nice long pass in the first preseason game.  But yesterday, he lived and died by the dumpoff.  Was it the way Bowles called the game.  Was there nothing open past 8 yards?  Did the OL never give him time to look downfield?  Even when we caught the faster-thrown ball, we didn't get YAC. 

I'm not saying it's McCown's fault, but someone has to own this problem.  Hearing him state in his presser how the coach always calls the best play for the situation when asked about it just makes it more infuriating.  They are circling the wagons in Week 1 and flinging bullcrap in every direction.  So no, I'm not really inclined to find the silver lining that our repeatedly failed journeyman QB looked like he threw a faster ball than the last repeatedly failed journeyman QB we had.  He probably does have a better arm, but if he never has a chance to actually use it, what's the point.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

[Disclaimer: This isn't a shot at you, Dom, this is my frustration spilling out and needing to vent a little more]

When you compare these stats, it might address some of why the ball got there quicker.

2015 (Fitz):  Y/A - 6.9   Y/C - 11.7
2016 (Fitz):  Y/A - 6.7   Y/C - 11.9
2017 (McC): Y/A - 4.8   Y/C - 7.2

When you're only throwing 2/3 as far on average, the ball is going to get there faster.  The good news for McCown is that of the games played so far, he doesn't have the lowest Y/A number.  Deshaun Watson beat him by a hair.  He does have the lowest Y/C stat though so not all is lost.

I say this to bring some light on what we all saw.  McCown threw a nice long pass in the first preseason game.  But yesterday, he lived and died by the dumpoff.  Was it the way Bowles called the game.  Was there nothing open past 8 yards?  Did the OL never give him time to look downfield?  Even when we caught the faster-thrown ball, we didn't get YAC. 

I'm not saying it's McCown's fault, but someone has to own this problem.  Hearing him state in his presser how the coach always calls the best play for the situation when asked about it just makes it more infuriating.  They are circling the wagons in Week 1 and flinging bullcrap in every direction.  So no, I'm not really inclined to find the silver lining that our repeatedly failed journeyman QB looked like he threw a faster ball than the last repeatedly failed journeyman QB we had.  He probably does have a better arm, but if he never has a chance to actually use it, what's the point.

I don't feel attacked and it is fine if I were.  I was just pointing out the ball seems to come out of his hand much faster than Fitzpatrick's.  Lower YPA/C can't be a surprise since there were a ton of dumpoffs. McCown's motion seems more of a quick sling, so it might not translate to deep balls anyway.  

As for the point of his arm being better than Fitzpatrick's, I am not so sure there is/was a point to either even being on the team, let alone their arms.  It is already a lost season.  What exactly are they trying to find out?  Kearse and Tye were on the team 20 minutes and got as many targets as anybody - does not bode well for all the "good young receiving talent" we supposedly acquired.  It will be even worse next week when Kerley comes back or week 3 when 2018 FA Austin Sefarian-Jenkins returns.

McCown and Forte should not be a part of this rebuilding project. 

Forte is old and slow his better days are behind him. 

McCown is McCown just an old QB who takes snaps and hardly ever wins games. 

The DL couldn't stop the run and our LB's aren't very good against the run or in pass coverage. 

Bad decisions from the coaching staff continues and actually seems to get worse. 

Sadly its going to be another long season for Jets fans. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

McCown and Forte should not be a part of this rebuilding project. 

Forte is old and slow his better days are behind him. 

McCown is McCown just an old QB who takes snaps and hardly ever wins games. 

The DL couldn't stop the run and our LB's aren't very good against the run or in class coverage. 

Bad decisions form the coaching staff continues and actually seems to get worse. 

Sadly its going to be another long season for Jets fans. 

Forte will be gone by midseason I think

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Good stuff as usual KRL.  Loved what we saw from Martin at OLB.

I honestly think this is a much different game if there's not a mobile QB back there.  The D-line brought a ton of pressure that Taylor was able to evade.  If they get that kind of play from the front seven against Carr, they could come away with a huge sack total.

Only thing is Burris...I don't think he tripped on Maye.  A Buffalo player shoved Maye into Burris and he landed on the back of Burris' legs.

I know you liked Martin in camp, it was encouraging to see him play well.

Agreed on the mobile QB. There was a 3rd down and long play. The Jets did everything right. He stepped up (Taylor) got out of the pressure and made a great throw in tight coverage for a 1st down. Same on that one scramble as the Bills were heading towards the end zone. A linebacker (I think) bit on a fake pass and Taylor ran for the first down. 

@KRL great job. I was saying the same thing yesterday about the ILBs. Terrible game for both of them.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

There is a big difference between giving up chunks of yardage and giving up points. The Patriots have been doing this the last few years. Give up chunks of yards but few points. 

Yes, there is. But the Bills should have scored 28. A tipped ball was intercepted. So your theory goes out the window. Read what KRL wrote about Darron Lee. Then rethink the "nice game" you think he had. I don't mean to be harsh, but he was bad. 

Just now, Maxman said:

Yes, there is. But the Bills should have scored 28. A tipped ball was intercepted. So your theory goes out the window. Read what KRL wrote about Darron Lee. Then rethink the "nice game" you think he had. I don't mean to be harsh, but he was bad. 

Tipped balls are supposed to be intercepted. That's why you tip them. So dont give me that. They gave up 21 points. They did not get blown out 35-0. That would be worth the fire Bowles threads

Darron Lee had a horrid day in coverage. But he shouldn't be in coverage to begin with. He is being badly misused by Bowles.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Tipped balls are supposed to be intercepted. That's why you tip them. So dont give me that. They gave up 21 points. They did not get blown out 35-0. That would be worth the fire Bowles threads

Darron Lee had a horrid day in coverage. But he shouldn't be in coverage to begin with. He is being badly misused by Bowles.

Great so you are going to take the angle that makes this a non argument. Please stop saying Lee had a good game and then we will pick this up next year when the new coach uses him differently. I don't see the guy being able to get off a block. I have the same concern about Dylan Donahue. But I am sure you are right, so it will get sorted out next year. Thanks.

Just now, Maxman said:

Great so you are going to take the angle that makes this a non argument. Please stop saying Lee had a good game and then we will pick this up next year when the new coach uses him differently. I don't see the guy being able to get off a block. I have the same concern about Dylan Donahue. But I am sure you are right, so it will get sorted out next year. Thanks.

PUt him against Ereck Flowers and we'll see who wins that. Honestly. I heard this yesterday. OLs around the NFL are bad 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Technically tipped balls aren't tipped so you can intercept them. They are tipped because the defender got his hand in there and it happened to go in the air. If the defender had a choice he would either 1) catch it himself or 2) knock it down. A tipped ball can still be caught by the offense. So it isn't like they try to tip them and have a fire drill.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

over the place:

- Tood Bowles failed on multiple levels, his game management and defense to name a few.  If

passes

ArDarius Stewart - I liked what I saw of him (unfortunately not much - other than a few late passes or off target throws behind him) but watching his body language he seems to want the ball and was playing hard. The play along the sideline (TD that wasn't due to foot touching out of bounds line) was a great effort play.  McCown missed an opportunity to him (third quarter I think). McCown was rolling out to his right and he threw underneath to a back or WR (like 4 yards) if he looked down field and threw a pass leading Stewart it would probably have been a TD. You could see Stewart posting and waiving his had running that route, you could also see Stewarts disgust when the ball was thrown short.

Just now, Maxman said:

Technically tipped balls aren't tipped so you can intercept them. They are tipped because the defender got his hand in there and it happened to go in the air. If the defender had a choice he would either 1) catch it himself or 2) knock it down. A tipped ball can still be caught by the offense. So it isn't like they try to tip them and have a fire drill.

C'mon man. Be real. 

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Always the best part of practice!

7 minutes ago, Stark said:

ArDarius Stewart - I liked what I saw of him (unfortunately not much - other than a few late passes or off target throws behind him) but watching his body language he seems to want the ball and was playing hard. The play along the sideline (TD that wasn't due to foot touching out of bounds line) was a great effort play.  McCown missed an opportunity to him (third quarter I think). McCown was rolling out to his right and he threw underneath to a back or WR (like 4 yards) if he looked down field and threw a pass leading Stewart it would probably have been a TD. You could see Stewart posting and waiving his had running that route, you could also see Stewarts disgust when the ball was thrown short.

Not sure who it was, but there was one play where the Bills did not cover the slot on the left of the formation.  The poor bastard was waving his hands so much the Bills eventually saw it, but they didn't get there in time and they still ran some bullsh*t dump to the right.

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

We gave up 21 points to a crap team with a QB that even his own team does not want to start. Yes, he may have avoided sacks, but we had a chance for those sacks because he was holding on to the ball. Better QBs are likely to just rip us a new one.  And if that is our offensive game plan, it will get worse and worse because it is so easy to defend. We were truly inept all across the board yesterday. Also, if McClown continues to laser focus on Kearse expect lots of ints going forward. There was nothing really good to take from yesterday other than maybe Martin's play and Ealy's but having a veteran QB focus on throwing the ball short to the veterans is not the way to start rebuilding this time. Bowles is supposed to be surrounded by football people, can't the OC or anyone let Bowles know that the punt concedes the game? I actually think he did it to lose by 9 as opposed to 12 or 16. It's week 2 and it feels like the season is over already.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Always the best part of practice!

Not sure who it was, but there was one play where the Bills did not cover the slot on the left of the formation.  The poor bastard was waving his hands so much the Bills eventually saw it, but they didn't get there in time and they still ran some bullsh*t dump to the right.

I am trying to find the video of the play I was talking about and the one you are talking about, because I think that was Stewart too..

4 minutes ago, mphtrilogy said:

This is one of the saddest teams and seasons I can recall in my 40 years of watching NYJ football...

its bleak on the coach, gm, players, qb, owner .. 

I have no confidence in anyone in this organization at this point to keep watching or hoping..

this is as bad as it gets...

You need confidence to watch?  I would have saved a lot of money if I had known that.

37 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Wait What ? You cant be serious with this crap. Lee is the fastest LB on this team and part of the reason he was drafted was to help in coverage and deal with screen plays and covering RB out of the backfield . He simply sucks at it and while I hate Bowles its certainly not his fault Lee sh*ts the bed more often than not.

9 minutes ago, KRL said:

Unlike previous years losses aren't going to hurt as much because I know the team is rebuilding
and most importantly the payoff may be a franchise QB.  Keep it in perspective folks

^ Isnt this just whistling past the graveyard as long as Macc is the one to make "The Selection"

2 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

^ Isnt this just whistling past the graveyard as long as Macc is the one to make "The Selection"

And here is the rub on what has transpired the last few weeks. I have so far been fairly pro Macc but even I have said that him lasting here depends entirely on how his picks play during this season. This seemed to be the direction the team was going also, as Woody declared during the offseason that success would be measured in "progress" instead of wins and losses.  

So why, for the love of god, are the majority of Macc's picks not playing? Why did we pick up Kearse, Kerley, Tye when we are supposed to be evaluating Stewart, Hansen and Leggett? Why is Forte being force-fed the ball when it should be a committee of Powell and McGuire? Why McCown instead of Petty? 

Bowles (who is likely a goner since he still doesn't know when to go for it vs punt) is shooting Macc in the head because without these evaluations, Macc's draft success has been very lackluster. 

5 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

And here is the rub on what has transpired the last few weeks. I have so far been fairly pro Macc but even I have said that him lasting here depends entirely on how his picks play during this season. This seemed to be the direction the team was going also, as Woody declared during the offseason that success would be measured in "progress" instead of wins and losses.  

So why, for the love of god, are the majority of Macc's picks not playing? Why did we pick up Kearse, Kerley, Tye when we are supposed to be evaluating Stewart, Hansen and Leggett? Why is Forte being force-fed the ball when it should be a committee of Powell and McGuire? Why McCown instead of Petty? 

Bowles (who is likely a goner since he still doesn't know when to go for it vs punt) is shooting Macc in the head because without these evaluations, Macc's draft success has been very lackluster. 

Bowles is a pro veteran player type HC  regardless of the overly apparent degree to which they are washed up.

This will be his Waterloo. 

Archived