Bringing up the Rear; Jets Defense Earns PFF’s Lowest Grade

JetNation

IMG_3213.jpg
IMG_3585-300x267.jpg

Jets linebacker Darron Lee has earned the lowest grade among Jets defensive starters at 31.9.

It’s not something you’d expect to see from a team that has spent almost all of their first round draft capital on defensive players for the past decade with a “defensive genius” for a head coach, but the results are what they are.

Pro Football Focus, a web site tasked with watching and grading the performance of every NFL player on every single snap of the season says that after six games, the Jets team defensive grade ranks 32nd our of 32 NFL teams.  While PFF’s methods are hardly scientific, they are at the very least, a good guide in determining roughly how well a player is performing.  Jets fans didn’t need PFF to tell them that the Jets defense has been bad, but 32 out of 32 on any list may have come as a bit of a shock.  In their summary of Gang Green, PFF had this to say:

32. NEW YORK JETS

BEST-GRADED STARTER: Kony Ealy, Edge, 82.4
WORST-GRADED: Darron Lee, LB, 31.9

When the team’s best player is struggling (Leonard Williams), you know things are not going well. Williams and Wilkerson have turned what should have been the team’s strength into a weakness, with their front unable to stand up to teams in the run or pass game. There has been some talent in the secondary, but the front seven hasn’t been able to protect them nearly enough.

As they often say on offense or defense in the NFL, “it all starts up front”. That’s bad news for the Jets as they’ve yet to register a sack on the defensive line, and the unit as a whole has just seven on the season, 31st in the NFL. If this group is going to pull itself out of the bottom of the barrel, Todd Bowles will have to find a way to convince Muhammad Wilkerson to start trying again, which should free up Leonard Williams from the many double-teams he’s seeing for the time being.

Is Bowles up to the task?  History tells us he is not, but only time will tell.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
QY23MzbV7hY

Click here to read the full story...

37 minutes ago, JetNation said:

Pro Football Focus, a web site tasked with watching and grading the performance of every NFL player on every single snap of the season says that after six games, the Jets team defensive grade ranks 32nd our of 32 NFL teams.

But hey, that's pretty impressive once you realize that at the start of the season we were projected to be ranked 40th out of 32 NFL teams.

#OverachievingExpectations #Learning2Win #StillInPlayoffHunt

45 minutes ago, JetNation said:

It’s not something you’d expect to see from a team that has spent almost all of their first round draft capital on defensive players for the past decade with a “defensive genius” for a head coach, but the results are what they are.

Knock Bowles all you want, but typing that sentence without putting Macc's name in it is unfair. I get that you like Macc better than Bowles. But Macc signed Wilk. Macc drafted Lee.

So your quotes should also include something about Macc. 

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

But they are all playing great and are close to getting to the QB.  I could not stand Rex for about the last 3 years he was here but I'd take him 10 out of 10 times over Bowles.

Rex as a DC > Bowles

Rex as a HC = Bowles

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Knock Bowles all you want, but typing that sentence without putting Macc's name in it is unfair. I get that you like Macc better than Bowles. But Macc signed Wilk. Macc drafted Lee.

You are correct but the fact is that the jets have invested almost everything on defense over the years and it if falling on its ass badly.  The defense of this team should be top 10 and carrying the team.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I don't know why people can't just agree that they have both been responsible for the team's failures here during the tenure. It's like people are predisposed to picking sides and creating more fractures that drive each other apart. It's really quite sad, to be honest.

16 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I don't know why people can't just agree that they have both been responsible for the team's failures here during the tenure. It's like people are predisposed to picking sides and creating more fractures that drive each other apart. It's really quite sad, to be honest.

Nothing can drive me away from you.

That said, the Jets defense, is bad.  Very bad.  All the high pick investments and their best players are by far Ealy who they got off waivers and Clairborne on a 1 year deal they picked up in FA.  That too, is bad.

I dont believe for one second that Todd doesn't heavily influence the draft.  Otherwise, Lee and the double down safety picks make zero sense.  So they both suck equally IMO

the article makes little sense.  on sunday this 32nd ranked defense held brady to a qbr of around 80.  in case anyone is keeping score, 75 or so is average. moreover, they are at least in the upper half for points and yardage allowed. i think the problem with this alleged rating is that it is an average of individual players but does not take into account that a players may whiff on a play but the next guy a great play.  this is what teams are all about.  and you know what? let the other teams keep thinking the jet defense is 32nd in the league.  won't they be surprised.

If folks think that the Jets are not playing good defensive football they are nuts. 

The Jets just finished playing in a game with one of the most powerful offensive teams in the NFL, held them close, almost beat them despite blatant referee interference, and have kept us close in every game.

Those are not the markers of a bad defense.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

If folks think that the Jets are not playing good defensive football they are nuts. 

The Jets just finished playing in a game with one of the most powerful offensive teams in the NFL, held them close, almost beat them despite blatant referee interference, and have kept us close in every game.

Those are not the markers of a bad defense.

Just for accuracy sake, Tampa held the Pats to 19 and the Raiders game did not come within several miles of "close." 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

That said, the Jets defense, is bad.  Very bad.  All the high pick investments and their best players are by far Ealy who they got off waivers and Clairborne on a 1 year deal they picked up in FA.  That too, is bad.

I dont believe for one second that Todd doesn't heavily influence the draft.  Otherwise, Lee and the double down safety picks make zero sense.  So they both suck equally IMO

<3

Well said. We are, like, so in sync.

This is an average of the players.  There are some really low rated players who are compensated by players that are playing well.

Its best player was picked up on last day waivers, but Bowles is obviously coaching them up.

The better measure of this defense their overall ranking, which ain't great either-top of the bottom third or so.

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Just for accuracy sake, Tampa held the Pats to 19 and the Raiders game did not come within several miles of "close." 

Just for further accuracy sake, Gronkowski did not play in the Tampa Bay game.

Just a little more, Tom Brady was 20 of 38 for 52% completion. 257 yards, his lowest for the season so far. He threw 2 TDs and had 1 pick, and 1 pick dropped. 27 points scored by the #1 offense in the NFL by far which was aided by a PI call that put the Pats in the red zone.

I know I posted this several times but just in case anyone missed it

19 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Just for further accuracy sake, Gronkowski did not play in the Tampa Bay game.

Just a little more, Tom Brady was 20 of 38 for 52% completion. 257 yards, his lowest for the season so far. He threw 2 TDs and had 1 pick, and 1 pick dropped. 27 points scored by the #1 offense in the NFL by far which was aided by a PI call that put the Pats in the red zone.

I know I posted this several times but just in case anyone missed it

I think the Board is on agreement on this.  

The Jets defense underachieves for all of the talent and coaching applied to it, but it is not the worst defense in the league.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

This. If the emerging narrative is going to again be that the coach doesn’t influence the draft, then everything in dopeyville will have come full circle...

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Unintelligent masses rely on polarity for feelings of belonging, comfort and the ease of knowing all the rhetoric. Look at politics. Or religion. Or Apple vs PC. Or Coke vs Pepsi.

In the wise words of Mrs. Potts, it’s a tale as old as time...

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You are correct but the fact is that the jets have invested almost everything on defense over the years and it if falling on its ass badly.  The defense of this team should be top 10 and carrying the team.

The Jets are 3 and 3 in a year that they were supposed to win 0 games. The defense has been playing bend but don't break and has been pretty good for the most part.

I think the defensive coaches have had a really good plan together, McCown is the QB so we know the offense won't carry the team.

PFF grades are what they are. Completely accurate not being one of the things that they are.

Another criticism of Macc's drafts is that Morris Claiborne is the best CB on this team. Great signing. But once he gets hurt they need some help.

Archived