Movies We've Seen Thread

Scott pulls it off as well as you can. If you go in understanding that there's no way a feature film can capture all of the little things that Watney explains, you'll be good. You realize when the movie is over that if they tried to do and explain everything by the book, the movie would be well over 4 hours.

Damon is getting a lot of credit for his performance, and rightfully so, but Chiwetel Ejiofor deserves some props, he is a such a great Vincent.

That's good to hear. I was worried it'd be a lot of Damon recanting dumbed-down formulas to the audience as that really was a majority of the book, glad Scott pulled it off. Having a lead character think to himself or talk aloud is difficult to pull from prose and put onto film, it's something that Ron Howard struggled with on the DaVinci Code but got a bit better on Angels and Demons.  Now I'm excited to see it.  When I get back from my 90+ hour weeks here in San Antonio hell I look forward to checking it out, if it's still in theater.  

Watched "Cobain: Montage of Heck" last night.  Thought it was incredibly well done.  Masterful job of editing all the various media segments.  

One of the best documentaries I've ever seen.  Doesn't matter if you like Kurt or Nirvana.  Highly recommended.

one of the best docs I've ever seen totally imaginative 

• Upvote 1

I just saw st vincent. Good flick. A bit depressing but solid

vacation - holy crap surprise. Pissed my pants laughing 5stars

vacation seems to be one of those movies people love or hate.  Jeremy Jahns on YouTube gave it a "dogsh-t" rating but then again he gave Avengers 2 an "awesometacular" so his cred took a hit.

Btw what did u think about Howard doing first 30 minutes of his show today about AGT/Kimmel.  Lazy pos gets 3 weeks offhe comes back his  new material is more crap about the gong show he got fired?  Please Howard end the show in 2 months.

Edited by drdetroit
  • Upvote 1

Just watched 'It Follows' and was pretty pumped for it after hearing good things.

It was ok, definitely some creepy and unsettling things, but not as good as I thought it would be.

Just recently watched [REC] and [REC]2, very very good, I believe they are free on Crackle right now. Foreign films that were remade as Quarantine. 

Just like bad sex or bad pizza...its still kinda good.

but yes, worst era ever for the show and im resentful of his laziness as well

Howard is very busy going to plays and Malibu pool parties with his boyfriend Kimmel or painting pictures of jars.  I'm not a Jay Leno fan but when he pointed out Kimmel and Howard have hurt eachother creatively I was like YEAH!

Edited by drdetroit

Victoria. I could not reccomend this film more. It's 2 hours and 15ish minutes all done in one take. No tricks like Birdman, it really was one take. I also highly recommend not googling anything else about this movie before seeing it. Just trust me. I saw it at Nitehawk Cinema in Brooklyn, only theater I've seen it playing in tri-state.

Edited by Tyler Durden

watched dope last night. very fun flick. watched terminator genysis two nights ago and was horrible. time to end the franchise

I thought the first 45 minutes or so was great. They went back to the familiar aspects of the franchise that people originally loved, even Arnold seemed reinvigorated by it all. Then as soon as John showed back up the entire thing went completely off the rails. Not as horrible as I was expecting it to be because of that first act though.

They should have done the story that Sarah talked about where the machines countered by sending another one back when she was 9. I suppose Arnold being old wouldn't have made sense in that timeline, but at least the plot wouldn't have been stupid. 

And I feel weird saying this because Jason Clarke is usually very good, but he sucked royally. Totally miscast as John. 

watched dope last night. very fun flick. watched terminator genysis two nights ago and was horrible. time to end the franchise

Dope was awesome.  I'm still talking about it.  Such a great flick.  Hollywood needed that.  

Speaking of Forest Whitaker, rented Southpaw the other night.  I dont think a more redundant, cliche movie could ever be made after watching that.  Gyllenhaal was good.  He really did make you feel for the character and the situations he was in...but man, that could have been done some much better.  Real let down of a movie.  Take every boxing movie ever made, roll it up into one and you have Southpaw.  

I thought the first 45 minutes or so was great. They went back to the familiar aspects of the franchise that people originally loved, even Arnold seemed reinvigorated by it all. Then as soon as John showed back up the entire thing went completely off the rails. Not as horrible as I was expecting it to be because of that first act though.

They should have done the story that Sarah talked about where the machines countered by sending another one back when she was 9. I suppose Arnold being old wouldn't have made sense in that timeline, but at least the plot wouldn't have been stupid. 

And I feel weird saying this because Jason Clarke is usually very good, but he sucked royally. Totally miscast as John. 

Schwarzenegger was the only actor who didn't totally embarrass himself. The chick from game of thrones was horrible and way too soft as Sarah Connor.  Jai Courtney is terrible I can't figure out why he gets put in every sh-tty action movie.  Jason Clarke looked like he was sleepwalking.  The action wasn't good, the story was boring, the end made me nauseous.

This was one of the worst movies I've seen in recent years.

The End of the Tour is so great. You almost want to get mad at Jason Segal for constantly talking like he's reading from an overly existential Aaron Sorkin script, but then you realize who he's playing, and you know that the entire movie is almost verbatim from Lipsky's recordings, and it makes it easy to buy in. There's nothing groundbreaking or anything we didn't already know, and I think that's what makes the whole thing so enjoyable; it forces your guard down almost immediately and allows you to sit back and take in the conversations.

Depression sucks.

Schwarzenegger was the only actor who didn't totally embarrass himself. The chick from game of thrones was horrible and way too soft as Sarah Connor.  Jai Courtney is terrible I can't figure out why he gets put in every sh-tty action movie.  Jason Clarke looked like he was sleepwalking.  The action wasn't good, the story was boring, the end made me nauseous.

This was one of the worst movies I've seen in recent years.

Jai Courtney is the worst.

I saw the new Bond in one of only 8 theatres in the world using the 4k HD technology or whatever, plus all the other bells and whistles. 

It was ******* intense. Also, they played the Star Wars trailer and I got goosebumps again. I'm seeing that in the same theatre... so it's going to be amazing x a billion.

• Upvote 1