The Jets will field the leagues #1 defense under Rex Ryan, our offense will continue to improve under Sanchez, and we'll finish no worse than 13-3.

JetsFanFromQueens

If the Jets aren't considered as being true SB contneders, I'm not sure which team is. After years of misery, we finally have a team to be very confident in. After what we've accomplished over the past two years under Rex and Sanchez (becoming relevant), we actually have a franchise, team and coaching staff to be proud of. I'm enjoying our contention-contender status to the fullest.

We're only a week away from opening day kickoff, as a fan, I'm finally starting to feel an adrenaline rush.

After we've featured top 5 D's during consecutive seasons, I no longer have hope for a top rated defense, I've come to expect it with Ryan leading the way.

In 2009 we ranked as the leagues #1 defense, but we failed and struggled (at times) to close out games during the regular season. Last year we may have ranked as the leagues 4th overall defense, but we all knew something was missing, that 'something' was a much needed pass rush from the outside. We have yet to upgrade our OLB's during the offseason, but we've adjusted our defensive front, which should improve our overall pass rush. Regardless, after revamping our defensive line with youth during the offseason, I feel as if our defense is on the verge of coming into it's own this up coming season.

We're all expecting Sanchez to break out as a 3rd year quarterback, but lets not forget, the same can be expected in regards to our defense. Rex Ryan and most of our 2011 starters are heading into their 3rd year of working together. Sione Pouha, Mike DeVito, David Harris, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Darrelle Revis, Jim Leonhard and Eric Smith all have one thing in common; 9 of 11 starters are heading into year number 3 under Ryan's defensive system. This is what you consider continuity on the defensive side of the ball. Heading into year number 3, these players know our defensive system to a "T", and most importantly, Rex Ryan has a much better feel for our players. These are only some of the reasons why I'm expecting a very stingy unit here in 2011. Even players such as Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson, Brodney Pool and Donald Strickland (2009/2011) are heading into their 2nd years under Rex Ryan. We also have some backups in Marquice Cole, Ropati Pitoitua (IR last season) and Jamaal Westerman whom are all heading into their 3rd season of learning our 3-4 defense as role-players. We feature something that you can't coach on the defensive side of the ball, which is overall team experience. Wilkerson and Ellis may only be rookies, but they're surrounded by veterans who play the game the right way. They'll be just fine.

Our defense ranked 3rd against the run last year, only allowing 3.6 yards per carry. If we can sustain our success against the run, I'll look for our secondary to take over games in obvious passing situations. Our defense only recorded 12 INT's last year, ranking 25th worst, but with Cromartie knowing exactly what to expect playing opposite of Revis, Leonhard coming back from injury as the quarterback of our defense, Wilson no longer being a rookie, Eric Smith getting better with playing experience and Brodney Pool heading into his 2nd year with the Jets... I wouldn't be shocked to see us record 18-22 INT's this season.

Hopefully we stay injury free, because if we can avoid season ending injuries, I see no reason why this defensive unit can't rank as the leagues #1 defense for the second time in three years. Fewest points allowed and fewest yards allowed is what I expect to see. Most definitely top 5 in both categories. Overall sacks and INT's are sometimes overrated, it's all about the pressure, because as the pass rush is able to come, the turnovers, sacks, and offensive mistakes should all fall in place.

When looking at this defense, I just love what I see.

I don't feel it's right to expect our offense to rank top 5 in either points scored or total yardage gained, but I do feel it's realistic to expect top 10 in both categories. I always try and keep in mind, that Sanchez is still an extremely young QB, only heading into his 3rd year with just about no college experience, so in my eyes, it's unrealistic to expect Sanchez to lead the Jets offense in the same types of ways the Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Brees, Rodgers and Vick have all been able to lead their respected teams in years past. I can't talk about our offense in the same types of ways that I've talked up our defense, that's not being rational. All I can ask for is consistent improvement out of Sanchez and our offense. Sanchez is still young, we have to understand that learning-curve mistakes will still happen in regards to our developing quarterback. It's sad to see our fan base freak out because Sanchez had a tough 3rd preseason game. A a meaningless one at that. If Sanchez can compete with the Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Matt Cassel, Matt Schaub and Josh Freeman's of the world, our QB is heading in the right dirrection. If he can out perform some of these QB's, our offense is ready for lift off.

But there is no doubt about it, our offense will continue to improve this up coming season. Once that happens, we'll become a very difficult team to compete with.

- In 2009 we ranked 17th in points scored (348) / 21.8 points per game. Last year we ranked 13th in points scored (367 / 22.9 points per game.

- In 2009 we ranked 20th in offensive yards gained (321.0 yards per game). Our offense improved and we ranked 11th in total yards last year, 351.0 yards per game.

- We went from 5.0 yards per play in 2009 to 5.2 yards per play last season. Still plenty of room for improvement, but we did go from 21st to 19th.

- We went from 23rd in offensive first downs in 2009 (17.5 per game) to to 15th last season, 19.2 first downs per game.

- We had a 3rd down % of 40 last season, ranking 15th, but in 2009 we only ranked 20th at 37%.

The reason why I feel our offense will improve this season, is because we improved last season when compared to 2009. As Sanchez improves, our entire offense will continue to improve. It shouldn't be any different this year.

Speaking of Sanchez showing improvement, that's exactly what he's done after 3 preseason games, no?

Texans: 6/7, 43 yards, 0 TD's / 0 INT's, QB rating of 92.3

Bengals: 12/20, 73 yards, 2 TD's/0 INT's, QB rating of 121.5

Giants: 8/16, 64 yards, 1 TD/0 INT's, QB rating of 81.2

He combined for 26/43, 66.6 completion %, 180 yards, 3 TD's/0 INT's with an average QB rating of 98.3. But for some reason, for the most part, all I've heard was negativity surrounding Sanchez during the preseason.

We may have some questions in regards to Sanchez overall, our new WR's in Burress and Mason, depth on the offensive line after the Turner injury etc, etc, but I really like the overall talent/potential of this Jets offense. We have some stuff to complain about, but can we focus on the good of our offense for once?

We have a very talented, developing QB heading into his 3rd year in Sanchez, a young QB who's ready to come into his own. If Sanchez can improve his accuracy and completion %, he has all the tools to perform at a high level of play.

How can you not be excited about Shonn Greene and our ground and pound rushing attack? This kid has become our feature back, and in the eyes of many, on the verge of having a break out season behind our offensive line. I couldn't pass on Shonn Greene during my JN fantasy draft. After two years of being in the league, Greene has an average yards per carry of 4.5. With the bulk of the carries, I'm expecting 1,300+ yards out of Greene this season.

Having a well rested Tomlinson with Shonn Greene as our work horse is something that I can't wait to see. We used L.T a little too much last year. An L.T who's fresh and healthy could make for a very dangerous/dual threat type of 3rd down back. Very good in pass protection, excellent field vision/awareness, can bail Sanchez out of tough situations due to his ability to catch out of the backfield (52 receptions last year), can execute the draw / screen plays to perfection on 3rd down etc, etc. I like the idea of having Tomlinson as our 3rd down back.

I'm not worried about our slot WR position, not when we have Mason/Kerley as our 1-2 punch. Mason has always been a 1st down machine.

The speed, quickness and overall explosiveness that Joe McKnight and Jeremy Kerley bring to our offense is something that I can't wait to see. Some may hate the wildcat package/formation, but Kerley has looked outstanding running the option from under center during the preseason. This kid can fly.

Dustin Keller is turning into one of the leagues top pass catching TE's. He led the Jets in receptions last year with 55. A pass catching TE should always be considered as being a QB's best friend, which is why, as Sanchez continues to come into his own, we'll start to see Keller progress in terms of a TE who's able to control/dominate the middle of the field. He's faster than most LB's, stronger/bigger than most safeties, has pretty good hands, and is an overall mismatch that defensive coordinators must game plan for. After the type of preseason that Jeff Cumberland just had, ranking 2nd amongst NFL TE's (behind only Aaron Hernandez of NE) in both receptions (11) and receiving yards (156), I'm starting to believe that Keller and Cumberland can be used in the same types of ways that NE used Gronk and Hernandez last year. I wouldn't mind seeing some of Tomlinson at HB, Holmes and Burress on the outsides, with Keller and Cumberland at TE inside the red zone.

We all know what we have in Santonio Holmes, which is a true #1 WR. Holmes put up 52 receptions for 746 receiving yards last year after only 12 games of play. He also came up big during the playoffs with 9 catches, 127 yards and 2 TD's. With Sanchez developing, with Holmes being our #1 option, I don't see anything stopping Holmes from putting up 85+ catches for 1,000+ yards and 7+ TD's this season. I'll tell you what, the combination of Sanchez connecting with Holmes on the quick slant/skinny post route has been outstanding since last season, but it's looking just as sharp after 3 preseason games this year.

I still don't know what to expect out of Plaxico Burress, but Burress can still play the game of football at a very high level of play. We seen what Burress could do against the Bengals week two of the preseason. One thing is for sure, even if he's not the Burress that he 'once was' with the Giants, he'll still improve our overall red zone offense in more ways than one. He's still amazingly gifted in terms of being able to out jump the nearest defender and catching the football at it's highest point due to his overall size and long arms.

Last but not least, we have one hell of an offensive line. It doesn't get much better than having a franchise LT and an All-Pro center leading the way.

I can't understand all of this doom and gloom surrounding our offensive ability around here.

We went 9-7 back in 2009. We improved by two games and went 11-5 last season. We'll improve by another two games this season. We're setting a franchise record and winning at least 13 regular season games this year.

Those are my 3 predictions. #1 defense, improved offense and at least 13 wins.

Next Sunday can't come soon enough. We all seen our Jets of 2010 start off 0-1 by the hands of the Baltimore Ravens, that won't happen this year. We're starting off 1-0. We're on the verge of watching the Jets physically destroy the Cowboys on Sunday night football.

Don't let these illiterate cocks get to you, JFFQ. ADD chimps, all of them.

As to your post, the way I see it is that it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

There were a king with a large jaw and a queen with a plain face, on the throne of England; there were a king with a large jaw and a queen with a fair face, on the throne of France. In both countries it was clearer than crystal to the lords of the State preserves of loaves and fishes, that things in general were settled for ever.

It was the year of Our Lord one thousand seven hundred and seventy-five. Spiritual revelations were conceded to England at that favoured period, as at this. Mrs. Southcott had recently attained her five-and-twentieth blessed birthday, of whom a prophetic private in the Life Guards had heralded the sublime appearance by announcing that arrangements were made for the swallowing up of London and Westminster. Even the Cock-lane ghost had been laid only a round dozen of years, after rapping out its messages, as the spirits of this very year last past (supernaturally deficient in originality) rapped out theirs. Mere messages in the earthly order of events had lately come to the English Crown and People, from a congress of British subjects in America: which, strange to relate, have proved more important to the human race than any communications yet received through any of the chickens of the Cock-lane brood.

France, less favoured on the whole as to matters spiritual than her sister of the shield and trident, rolled with exceeding smoothness down hill, making paper money and spending it. Under the guidance of her Christian pastors, she entertained herself, besides, with such humane achievements as sentencing a youth to have his hands cut off, his tongue torn out with pincers, and his body burned alive, because he had not kneeled down in the rain to do honour to a dirty procession of monks which passed within his view, at a distance of some fifty or sixty yards. It is likely enough that, rooted in the woods of France and Norway, there were growing trees, when that sufferer was put to death, already marked by the Woodman, Fate, to come down and be sawn into boards, to make a certain movable framework with a sack and a knife in it, terrible in history. It is likely enough that in the rough outhouses of some tillers of the heavy lands adjacent to Paris, there were sheltered from the weather that very day, rude carts, bespattered with rustic mire, snuffed about by pigs, and roosted in by poultry, which the Farmer, Death, had already set apart to be his tumbrils of the Revolution. But that Woodman and that Farmer, though they work unceasingly, work silently and no one heard them as they went about with muffled tread: the rather, forasmuch as to entertain any suspicion that they were awake, was to be atheistical and traitorous.

In England, there was scarcely an amount of order and protection to justify much national boasting. Daring burglaries by armed men, and highway robberies, took place in the capital itself every night; families were publicly cautioned not to go out of town without removing their furniture to upholsterers' warehouses for security; the highwayman in the dark was a City tradesman in the light, and, being recognised and challenged by his fellow-tradesman whom he stopped in his character of "the Captain," gallantly shot him through the head and rode away; the mail was waylaid by seven robbers, and the guard shot three dead, and then got shot dead himself by the other four, "in consequence of the failure of his ammunition:" after which the mail was robbed in peace; that magnificent potentate, the Lord Mayor of London, was made to stand and deliver on Turnham Green, by one highwayman, who despoiled the illustrious creature in sight of all his retinue; prisoners in London gaols fought battles with their turkeys, and the majesty of the law fired blunderbusses in among them, loaded with rounds of shot and ball; thieves snipped off diamond crosses from the necks of noble lords at Court drawing-rooms; musketeers went into St. Giles's, to search for contraband goods, and the mob fired on the musketeers, and the musketeers fir on the mob, and nobody thought any of these occurrences much out of the common way. In the midst of them, the hangman, ever busy and ever worse than useless, was in constant requisition; now, stringing up long rows of miscellaneous criminals; now, hanging a housebreaker on Saturday who had been taken on Tuesday; now, burning people in the hand at Newgate by the dozen, and now burning pamphlets at the door of Westminster Hall; to-day, taking the life of an atrocious murderer, and to-morrow of a wretched pilferer who had robbed a farmer's boy of sixpence. (cont)

13-3? lmao

teams can win the SB at 10-6 these days so 13-3 means nada

yes, the Jets have been only one game away from the super bowl during consecutive seasons, but to feel that a 13-3 season means "nothing" just goes to show the lack of knowledge and understanding that you have for both the Jets as a franchise and the history of this league in itself. For every 10-6 wildcard team that's been able to win a ring, I'll show you 10-15 teams that's won super bowl rings with either much needed home field advantage throughout or at least one bye week leading up to their sb apperance. I'm not sure how any long time Jets fan can actually say that a 13-3 record means nothing, when a 12-4 season was the best regular season record our fan base has ever seen. If you truly believe that setting a franchise record for most wins during a single season, winning at least 13 games, hopefully beating out NE for the AFC east crown, home field advantage come playoff time actually means little to nothing, maybe you shouldn't bother watching the Jets face off against Dallas come Sunday night, just tune in during the playoffs, and if we're lucky enough to escape into the 16 team tourney, hopefully we won't be 8-8/10-6 and having to eliminate elite teams on the road, such as Baltimore, NE and Pittsburgh, just for a chance at an NFC team such as GB, Saints, Philly or ATL. When a 13+ win season all of a sudden means nothing, wake me up into reality and tell us all that we aren't Jet fans.

Next Sunday can't come soon enough. We all seen our Jets of 2010 start off 0-1 by the hands of the Baltimore Ravens, that won't happen this year. We're starting off 1-0. We're on the verge of watching the Jets physically destroy the Cowboys on Sunday night football.

The Cowboys are loaded on offense.

It wont be an easy win.

Don't let these illiterate cocks get to you, JFFQ. ADD chimps, all of them.

As to your post, the way I see it is that it was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

There were a king with a large jaw and a queen with a plain face, on the throne of England; there were a king with a large jaw and a queen with a fair face, on the throne of France. In both countries it was clearer than crystal to the lords of the State preserves of loaves and fishes, that things in general were settled for ever.

It was the year of Our Lord one thousand seven hundred and seventy-five. Spiritual revelations were conceded to England at that favoured period, as at this. Mrs. Southcott had recently attained her five-and-twentieth blessed birthday, of whom a prophetic private in the Life Guards had heralded the sublime appearance by announcing that arrangements were made for the swallowing up of London and Westminster. Even the Cock-lane ghost had been laid only a round dozen of years, after rapping out its messages, as the spirits of this very year last past (supernaturally deficient in originality) rapped out theirs. Mere messages in the earthly order of events had lately come to the English Crown and People, from a congress of British subjects in America: which, strange to relate, have proved more important to the human race than any communications yet received through any of the chickens of the Cock-lane brood.

France, less favoured on the whole as to matters spiritual than her sister of the shield and trident, rolled with exceeding smoothness down hill, making paper money and spending it. Under the guidance of her Christian pastors, she entertained herself, besides, with such humane achievements as sentencing a youth to have his hands cut off, his tongue torn out with pincers, and his body burned alive, because he had not kneeled down in the rain to do honour to a dirty procession of monks which passed within his view, at a distance of some fifty or sixty yards. It is likely enough that, rooted in the woods of France and Norway, there were growing trees, when that sufferer was put to death, already marked by the Woodman, Fate, to come down and be sawn into boards, to make a certain movable framework with a sack and a knife in it, terrible in history. It is likely enough that in the rough outhouses of some tillers of the heavy lands adjacent to Paris, there were sheltered from the weather that very day, rude carts, bespattered with rustic mire, snuffed about by pigs, and roosted in by poultry, which the Farmer, Death, had already set apart to be his tumbrils of the Revolution. But that Woodman and that Farmer, though they work unceasingly, work silently and no one heard them as they went about with muffled tread: the rather, forasmuch as to entertain any suspicion that they were awake, was to be atheistical and traitorous.

In England, there was scarcely an amount of order and protection to justify much national boasting. Daring burglaries by armed men, and highway robberies, took place in the capital itself every night; families were publicly cautioned not to go out of town without removing their furniture to upholsterers' warehouses for security; the highwayman in the dark was a City tradesman in the light, and, being recognised and challenged by his fellow-tradesman whom he stopped in his character of "the Captain," gallantly shot him through the head and rode away; the mail was waylaid by seven robbers, and the guard shot three dead, and then got shot dead himself by the other four, "in consequence of the failure of his ammunition:" after which the mail was robbed in peace; that magnificent potentate, the Lord Mayor of London, was made to stand and deliver on Turnham Green, by one highwayman, who despoiled the illustrious creature in sight of all his retinue; prisoners in London gaols fought battles with their turkeys, and the majesty of the law fired blunderbusses in among them, loaded with rounds of shot and ball; thieves snipped off diamond crosses from the necks of noble lords at Court drawing-rooms; musketeers went into St. Giles's, to search for contraband goods, and the mob fired on the musketeers, and the musketeers fir on the mob, and nobody thought any of these occurrences much out of the common way. In the midst of them, the hangman, ever busy and ever worse than useless, was in constant requisition; now, stringing up long rows of miscellaneous criminals; now, hanging a housebreaker on Saturday who had been taken on Tuesday; now, burning people in the hand at Newgate by the dozen, and now burning pamphlets at the door of Westminster Hall; to-day, taking the life of an atrocious murderer, and to-morrow of a wretched pilferer who had robbed a farmer's boy of sixpence. (cont)

Sweet Melville reference!

If this is the same guy, which we all think it is... How'd the rap game turn out?

We were told you were going to explode circa June/July 2009. Can I find you on itunes?

EY - mega kudo's for bringing that thread back. We've had some classic's, but that one is certainly top 5 all time.

I don't know why this would surprise anyone. The bias around here has always been against highly literate jerks.

haha, it's funny when people complain about posts being too long. The whole purpose of this site is to have discussions about the Jets. When someone gives it in depth, people get annoyed, but when people post silly trollish one liners, they respond instantly. Seriously, learn how to read. It ain't difficult.

I agree with the OP. 12-13 wins and a divisional title should be expected this year. I can't possibly see our team not improving with the talent we have. We might be late bloomers on D again, but we'll be near the top almost all year and then eventually get #1. It's very doable. we certainly have more talent on D than 2009.

If this is the same guy, which we all think it is... How'd the rap game turn out?

We were told you were going to explode circa June/July 2009. Can I find you on itunes?

One of the greatest threads of all time. TBJF coulda been a star but he couldn't come up with the $50. it's a cruel world

Archived