Jets Trade Mason

JonEJet

You are using 5 games of stats.... I could throw together some ugly stats from the last two years over 4-6 games as well... and look where they got.

You are GUESSING... based on how you are interpreting an incomplete sample.

You just don't want to admit your opinions arent facts...

I don't know what 'throwing together' means when the data set is the entire season... You know, everything we have to go on this year.

Right now, the Jets are worse on both sides of the ball, and it's not like it's week 2. They've played 5 games this year, and those are all that matters. You could throw together anything you wanted, but none of it would be this season. So, everything you say or try to manipulate is meaningless crap in comparison to the entire body of work for 2011.

Sorry, you lost.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what 'throwing together' means when the data set is the entire season... You know, everything we have to go on this year.

Right now, the Jets are worse on both sides of the ball, and it's not like it's week 2. They've played 5 games this year, and those are all that matters. You could throw together anything you wanted, but none of it would be this season. So, everything you say or try to manipulate is meaningless crap in comparison to the entire body of work for 2011.

Sorry, you lost.

This is your opinion... I am not even going to challenge whether it is right or wrong. Just simply that it is not fact.

It's a variable that hasn't been accounted for in previous years, definitely. But it's also something that isn't biased in regards to a team like Buffalo and not affecting some else, say us. Therefore it's nearly impossible to argue in favor of it causing a significant shift in the trend. That's not to say that it won't have some measurable effect, but it actually being significant enough for several of the teams to all shift course drastically is unlikely. I'm sure there will be a team or two that will level off, either up or down, but not enough to cause a drastic drop-off in the slope.

That's just it. I feel that the whole league has been upside down. It's only the last week or two that I can get any feel for who is good. It almost seems like the first three weeks have to get thrown out the window.

I still think we should have never let Braylon Edwards go. I know, I know that he's hurt right now but that doesn't mean he would have gotten hurt had he been a Jet. The whole receiver corps seemed happy to BE New York Jets and no one more so that Braylon Edwards. He is a guy that I could definitely see us trying to get back again, like we did with Coles all those times.

That's just it. I feel that the whole league has been upside down. It's only the last week or two that I can get any feel for who is good. It almost seems like the first three weeks have to get thrown out the window.

I went on record before this lockout was even over saying that this was going to be the strangest NFL season since the replacement players season. I said we would see an unusual amount of key injuries and I actually said somewhere here on JN (as well as to everyone I talked to in this house and around town) that this is a year that I could see a Super Bowl of say Buffalo against the Lions or the Panthers...5 weeks in and I might not be too far off.

In fairness there is some of that at the start of every NFL season. This one is just a tad bit more dramatic than even usual.

There really aren't that many anomalies. Buffalo and San Fran sure, but what do you expect? That type of parity is pretty consistent with the NFL year to year. A couple teams fall off and a couple bump up every year. Green Bay, New England, Baltimore, New Orleans, Pittsburgh even to a degree, they're all still at or near the top. Tennessee's had a slight bump but they were never really bad the prior two seasons anyways. Oakland seems to pass the smell test, but you hit a couple draft picks and throw darts at the board for that long with QB's, one is bound to play at an adequate level eventually. The only one that makes no sense thus far is Minnesota. They're actually pretty solid across the board but can't seem to translate that in to wins, but that happens with a team or two every year anyways. Most of that's on McNabb, but 1-4 still doesn't translate well to that degree.

There really aren't that many anomalies. Buffalo and San Fran sure, but what do you expect? That type of parity is pretty consistent with the NFL year to year. A couple teams fall off and a couple bump up every year. Green Bay, New England, Baltimore, New Orleans, Pittsburgh even to a degree, they're all still at or near the top. Tennessee's had a slight bump but they were never really bad the prior two seasons anyways. Oakland seems to pass the smell test, but you hit a couple draft picks and throw darts at the board for that long with QB's, one is bound to play at an adequate level eventually. The only one that makes no sense thus far is Minnesota. They're actually pretty solid across the board but can't seem to translate that in to wins, but that happens with a team or two every year anyways. Most of that's on McNabb, but 1-4 still doesn't translate well to that degree.

Philly and the Jets don't make that much sense either. My point isn't that the world is upside down, only that it was upside down too recently to have a great grip on it. If I had to guess I'd say it's 2 weeks behind normal, but that's only a guess. That would mean that we are right about knowing who is really superman.

I still think we should have never let Braylon Edwards go. I know, I know that he's hurt right now but that doesn't mean he would have gotten hurt had he been a Jet. The whole receiver corps seemed happy to BE New York Jets and no one more so that Braylon Edwards. He is a guy that I could definitely see us trying to get back again, like we did with Coles all those times.

You and I are in a very small minority here. I agree. I would offer the conditional 7th for him. His injury isn't a season ender. he'll be back in a few weeks.

Don't know if the 9'er would want to move him, but under his current contract he would be dirt cheap. it would piss him off, but he'd agree. he needs a big year to get his value back.

You and I are in a very small minority here. I agree. I would offer the conditional 7th for him. His injury isn't a season ender. he'll be back in a few weeks.

Don't know if the 9'er would want to move him, but under his current contract he would be dirt cheap. it would piss him off, but he'd agree. he needs a big year to get his value back.

Count me in as well. I think Braylon would have been a more solid citizen this season and he was pretty damn solid after coming over from Cle. Blows me away when people bring up his drops - he dropped next to nothing in Jet green, was a punishing blocker, and largely kept his mouth shut and did his job making a lot of clutch grabs. Letting him walk and reeling in Plax and Mason was the premier sausage slap move of the off season. Spare me the apples and cinder bricks conversations on how B.E. is out on IR - that same set of circumstances likely would not have played out with him in another environment.

1. He's not going to get that big year playing for the Jets. We have too many other receivers.

2. You guys are in a very small minority that wanted to award Edwards a huge long-term contract. That is what he wanted from the Jets. I don't know where anyone gets the idea that a low-ball, incentive-laden contract that the 49ers gave him would have been equally acceptable to him if offered from a team he's played for - for FAR more money - for the prior 2 seasons. It is patently obvious he would have considered another "show me what you've got" 1-year deal insulting after (what he considers) all he's done for the team. He wouldn't take the contract we offered Plaxico, figuring he'd shop himself around on the open market. It was only after that time he realized that NO team was going to invest guaranteed dollars in him.

The notion that, after 2 years on the team, we could have signed Edwards $1M guaranteed like SF gave him - or even at Plaxico levels at 3x that - is a myth with no realistic basis. He was pretty openly pissed off and insulted, and it's likely that - in those days before Plaxico was signed - only a sizable deal would have brought him back here. The Jets could have waited for Edwards to shop around and bet that no one was going to offer him squat (and further bet that even after finding no takers, that he'd re-sign with the Jets over someone else for lowball money anyway). In waiting, they would have risked ending up with nothing - no Edwards and no Burress. That would have been irresponsible unless they were prepared to start Cotchery opposite Holmes all season long.

Who really believes this was likely:

Plax: I want a 5-year deal for $40M [or whatever he wanted]. That's $10M less than you gave Tone.

Jets: That's too much. How about 1 year for $3M, but only $1-2M guaranteed if you get suspended?

Plax: I'll take it.

Yeah, right.

That could only happen where Thornton Melon suggested Dr. Barbay build his widget plant.

1. He's not going to get that big year playing for the Jets. We have too many other receivers.

2. You guys are in a very small minority that wanted to award Edwards a huge long-term contract. That is what he wanted from the Jets. I don't know where anyone gets the idea that a low-ball, incentive-laden contract that the 49ers gave him would have been equally acceptable to him if offered from a team he's played for - for FAR more money - for the prior 2 seasons. It is patently obvious he would have considered another "show me what you've got" 1-year deal insulting after (what he considers) all he's done for the team. He wouldn't take the contract we offered Plaxico, figuring he'd shop himself around on the open market. It was only after that time he realized that NO team was going to invest guaranteed dollars in him.

The notion that, after 2 years on the team, we could have signed Edwards $1M guaranteed like SF gave him - or even at Plaxico levels at 3x that - is a myth with no realistic basis. He was pretty openly pissed off and insulted, and it's likely that - in those days before Plaxico was signed - only a sizable deal would have brought him back here. The Jets could have waited for Edwards to shop around and bet that no one was going to offer him squat (and further bet that even after finding no takers, that he'd re-sign with the Jets over someone else for lowball money anyway). In waiting, they would have risked ending up with nothing - no Edwards and no Burress. That would have been irresponsible unless they were prepared to start Cotchery opposite Holmes all season long.

Who really believes this was likely:

Plax: I want a 5-year deal for $40M [or whatever he wanted]. That's $10M less than you gave Tone.

Jets: That's too much. How about 1 year for $3M, but only $1-2M guaranteed if you get suspended?

Plax: I'll take it.

Yeah, right.

That could only happen where Thornton Melon suggested Dr. Barbay build his widget plant.

Flunk me? Flunk him!

Maybe you're right Sperm but WTHBS, I can still envision Braylon back on the Jets maybe as soon as next year. He really overplayed his hand and I thought he would have been happy to resign with us had it not been for petty jealously over what Tone got. It's a shame because he did play his a$$ off for us and seemed to never have been happier as an NFL player. Tannenbaum should have figured out a way to make that happen. If he used 1/5 th of the energy he used trying to resign Revis we'd be a better team right now.

IDK though, I kind of suspected all summer that maybe there was something going on with that kid that everybody in small town NFL city knew that we weren't privvy to-kind of like why I said earlier in this thread about T.O.

Maybe you're right Sperm but WTHBS, I can still envision Braylon back on the Jets maybe as soon as next year.

I wouldnt get my hopes up friend. I've got a feeling the talk at the table between BE and the Jets didnt go well. Me thinks there's probably some damage done to this relationship. BE even said, I'd love to play for the Jets, but apparently they dont feel the same way. I'm sure that doesnt sit well with BE. He's to big of an ego to come back at lesser cost.

Get over it buddy. BE is not the reason the Jets are losing.

I wouldnt get my hopes up friend. I've got a feeling the talk at the table between BE and the Jets didnt go well. Me thinks there's probably some damage done to this relationship. BE even said, I'd love to play for the Jets, but apparently they dont feel the same way. I'm sure that doesnt sit well with BE. He's to big of an ego to come back at lesser cost.

yea I know where that blame lies-I just said that the Jets would be a better team with him not that him not being here is the reason we're losing

Holy crap get over Braylon Edwards already... seriously, he's another in a long list of Jets whose accomplishments are over-embellished by the fans as the cling to the hopes and dreams of what could have been if we kept him around... when the reality is he was a role-player.

I have new for you Edwards Advocates... if Sanchez is kept upright, Plaxico, Mason and Holmes would have made you forget Braylon altogether. The problem is NOT the receivers, it is the O-line and shell-shocked over-handled, but under-developed QB.

Mason was made an example of, but if they really wanted to send a message they'd have dumped Hunter or Ducasse.

Maybe you're right Sperm but WTHBS, I can still envision Braylon back on the Jets maybe as soon as next year. He really overplayed his hand and I thought he would have been happy to resign with us had it not been for petty jealously over what Tone got. It's a shame because he did play his a$$ off for us and seemed to never have been happier as an NFL player. Tannenbaum should have figured out a way to make that happen. If he used 1/5 th of the energy he used trying to resign Revis we'd be a better team right now.

IDK though, I kind of suspected all summer that maybe there was something going on with that kid that everybody in small town NFL city knew that we weren't privvy to-kind of like why I said earlier in this thread about T.O.

I appreciate where you're coming from, but what could he have done? There wasn't a GM in the NFL dumb enough to give Braylon the guaranteed money he sought from the Jets. I wouldn't suggest Tannenbaum overpay the 2nd-highest bidder a few times or several times over or more. Same as Shaun Ellis. I had no problem bringing him back, but if NE wants to pay him $4-5M for 1 year (or whatever it was) then they can have him.

Totally different from Revis, because he's the best at what he does. There's Revis, then there's everyone else. There are dozens of receivers as productive or more productive than Edwards and few come with his off-field baggage.

If you have an issue with Edwards not being on the team then direct your ire where it belongs: Braylon Edwards. Because when all was said and done, it appears his price tag to return to the Jets was higher than it would have been for anyone else. If that's his attitude, then f*** him because all his "I love the Jets" attitude was only based in a belief that the Jets would pay him more than 3x what anyone else would have.

I have new for you Edwards Advocates... if Sanchez is kept upright, Plaxico, Mason and Holmes would have made you forget Braylon altogether. The problem is NOT the receivers, it is the O-line and shell-shocked over-handled, but under-developed QB.

Save your news Monk. It's more than obvious that Sanchez, in his new role as a pinata, doesn't usually have the time to throw or think. I'll take Edwards over Burris any day and Mason is off bring his 80 catch season to fruition elsewhere.

Save your news Monk. It's more than obvious that Sanchez, in his new role as a pinata, doesn't usually have the time to throw or think. I'll take Edwards over Burris any day and Mason is off bring his 80 catch season to fruition elsewhere.

There was never a choice between Burress and Edwards. That is a fabrication of Braylon Edwards fans (of which I was once one, but he's not a Jet anymore so he can sit on my pointy green hat).

He only wanted to return to the Jets if it was a big deal. He felt snubbed and pride never would have let him come back for a 1 year deal similar to Plaxico's, let alone a 1 year deal like he got from SF.

A 1-year deal, for a player like Edwards, is an opportunity to get his stats up (and behave himself for 365 days) so he can cash in on a long-term deal. There is no way he could have done that with the Jets (unless Holmes got injured week 1) since there are too many targets, we are a run-first team ideally, and frankly Sanchez isn't that great to begin with. So the only deal he was taking from the Jets was a multi-year deal he thought he'd get from the Jets or someone else.

I can't believe people are still pissing on about how we should have kept a player there was no realistic chance of keeping, particularly when he's done zero this year. At least make an argument over losing someone who's doing great somewhere else.

I can't believe people are still pissing on about how we should have kept a player there was no realistic chance of keeping, particularly when he's done zero this year. At least make an argument over losing someone who's doing great somewhere else.

Agree so much... and there really isn't anyone. Maybe Sean Ellis? Actually I take that back Jenkins and Woody seem to be doing quite well in what they've moved on to...

There was never a choice between Burress and Edwards. That is a fabrication of Braylon Edwards fans (of which I was once one, but he's not a Jet anymore so he can sit on my pointy green hat).

He only wanted to return to the Jets if it was a big deal. He felt snubbed and pride never would have let him come back for a 1 year deal similar to Plaxico's, let alone a 1 year deal like he got from SF.

A 1-year deal, for a player like Edwards, is an opportunity to get his stats up (and behave himself for 365 days) so he can cash in on a long-term deal. There is no way he could have done that with the Jets (unless Holmes got injured week 1) since there are too many targets, we are a run-first team ideally, and frankly Sanchez isn't that great to begin with. So the only deal he was taking from the Jets was a multi-year deal he thought he'd get from the Jets or someone else.

Agree with all of this. I wanted Edwards back as much as anyone, but once FA hit it became quite apparent that it wasn't realistic. He's not a Jet anymore and there's no reasonable way he would have been unless the Jets paid him excessively more than any other team in the NFL was willing to, which as much as I liked him as a player, I know would have been idiotic. It's no different than the people bitching about Cotchery, as if it's clearly some massive mistake of the Jets to release a guy who didn't want to be here, played like crap last year, was hurt and has yet to even get activated with his new team yet this season. While g

A series of odd events led up to the current situation with Braylon.

Edwards was a productive WR for the Jets who, on the field at least, seemed to have a good relationship with Sanchez.. He could stretch the field.

He loved NYC, and loved playing here, and genuinely wanted to come back. Problem was he dramatically overvalued himself Jets were set on Tone. Overpaid him, and went after Aso. Edwards took the a$$, but was still asking for big money..

Don't forget Braylon had that single car accident in the wee hours of the morning where he hit a drunken tree. Accident took place on private property, and the police were very limited in what they could do. Surely eyebrows were raised arond the NFL.

A few days after his court appearance for his probation violation, for the DWI, he and his cousins get in a bar fight in which 2 people got stabbed. Braylon starts tweeting 20 minutes after the fight.

Edwards was put on reporting probation as a result. of the prior probation violation. In most states you are not allowed to drink when you are on probation for an alcohol related incident. He MAY be looking at jail time.

His value falls right in the toilet bowl. Almost seems like he is black balled

In the interim while Bray was still asking big money, the Jets signed Plax, and gave him Edwards number. That's when the relationship between Edwards and the Jets when real sour.

After the fight nobody would touch Edwards. 9'er basically signed him for a minimum vet contract with incentives. He wouldn't talk to the Jets at that point because he was wounded. Then he hurt his knee, and hasn't played.

I would surly have liked to sign Edwards for the same contract as the 9'ers did. Tone,Edwards, Plax sounds pretty good to me.

With the contract Edwards has with the 9'er, at this point I would approach them to see if they are willing to make a trade for a very late draft pick. They are doing fairly well with out him. They might. Then again they might not.

It's worth a shot.

Agree so much... and there really isn't anyone. Maybe Sean Ellis? Actually I take that back Jenkins and Woody seem to be doing quite well in what they've moved on to...

You are referring to that Ellis gentleman who racked up 0 tackles and 1 assist this past Sunday while going against Wayne Hunter?

Mason was made an example of, but if they really wanted to send a message they'd have dumped Hunter or Ducasse.

Agreed with the OP!!! Mason was only of the exemples about we're loosin!!! BTW the all team are! Offense and Defense, they will try to do the best in all games aheaded right now!!! we have possible winning-game vs. 'Fins!!! Kerley in the lineup?? Great...Awsome!! We need to put this team in the right track again!!! the new playcalling in the offense and the defense need to improve the running game opps!! They agreed?? Well!!! Edwards gone, Mason too!!! Burress is a good player, possible better then we tought, but he is the taller player we have in the roster. Burres will show the things he know to all of them dont have confidence in him...like us! Ok!!! Lets the team play and see what gonna happend in the future.

Agreed with the OP!!! Mason was only of the exemples about we're loosin!!! BTW the all team are! Offense and Defense, they will try to do the best in all games aheaded right now!!! we have possible winning-game vs. 'Fins!!! Kerley in the lineup?? Great...Awsome!! We need to put this team in the right track again!!! the new playcalling in the offense and the defense need to improve the running game opps!! They agreed?? Well!!! Edwards gone, Mason too!!! Burress is a good player, possible better then we tought, but he is the taller player we have in the roster. Burres will show the things he know to all of them dont have confidence in him...like us! Ok!!! Lets the team play and see what gonna happend in the future.

I was going to ask if you'd been drinking early Pedro, then I saw that you're from Brazil and doing the best you can with a second language-good job. I agree, it's still a very young season and anything can happen, hell, we could go on an 11 game winning streak and end up 13-3 for all we know...

Totally different from Revis, because he's the best at what he does. There's Revis, then there's everyone else. There are dozens of receivers as productive or more productive than Edwards and few come with his off-field baggage.

I agreed with most of your post, except that few come with his off-field baggage. The Jets have a few on the team right now. Burress and Holmes are obvious. How about McKnight? A nice little journal about gluing his teacher naked to a wall, cutting off her feet and killing her family while she watches. Josh Baker was suspended by Delaware for 3 strikes against team rules. Delaware! Mason was such a cancer in the locker room they already moved him. That's just the Jets. I don't think I have to go through all the TOs and Dante Stallworths of the league to show that Braylon Edwards is pretty much your normal WR when it comes to off-field baggage.

It's methinks​, not me thinks. One word. Methinks.

Methinks is how Diane Chambers would say something as an attempt to sound oh-so-clever.

Me thinks is how the Cookie Monster talks.

Been bothering me for the past couple of years on this board. Now it's out of my system. Carry on.

It's methinks​, not me thinks. One word. Methinks.

Methinks is how Diane Chambers would say something as an attempt to sound oh-so-clever.

Me thinks is how the Cookie Monster talks.

Been bothering me for the past couple of years on this board. Now it's out of my system. Carry on.

Well I thinks you is stupid.

Archived