Jets Trade Mason

JonEJet

One thing I'll say about John McClain, his marriage may always be in disarray and he may always be finding himself in crazy situations where he's saving us from terrorists with witty catchphrases, but I'm always impressed at his ability to stay on top of twittering NFL news to the masses.

I didn't want to laugh. But I did.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, Rex Ryan is no more successful in turning around problem players than Eric Mangini was. Kerry Rhodes, Braylon, Gholston, Mason, etc. Where are the big reclamation projects? The idea that "every player in the league wants to play for Rex" has already been debunked many times over in free agency, but you'd think he'd be able to get the best out of the 53 guys on his own roster, no? Like Mangini, Rex is a slave to the Mike Devito's of the world.

How's that exactly? Don't get this one at all. In just one game with more reps Kerley showed more than Mason has all year. To turn around and get a pick in return for a 37-year-old #3 WR who hasn't done sh*t all year is impressive. I'm not exactly thrilled with a lot of the things the Jets have done this year, but I find it a little tough to find all that much to criticize about this particular move.

It's not that the move itself is bad necessarily. He is old and a one year player for us so it's good to get something assuming that we do. The problem is the timing. We lose three games in a row with our offense stuggling and then make a trade. It's going to get laughed at. It's that simple. Mason was playing hard by the way. Didn't make an impact here, but then again neither are Holmes, Keller, Plax, or anyone else for that matter.

How's that exactly? Don't get this one at all. In just one game with more reps Kerley showed more than Mason has all year. To turn around and get a pick in return for a 37-year-old #3 WR who hasn't done sh*t all year is impressive. I'm not exactly thrilled with a lot of the things the Jets have done this year, but I find it a little tough to find all that much to criticize about this particular move.

Exactly. I really don't see a downside here. Mason wasn't performing and Kerley played the role significantly better. Getting any value for an old receiver is great!

By the way, Rex Ryan is no more successful in turning around problem players than Eric Mangini was. Kerry Rhodes, Braylon, Gholston, Mason, etc. Where are the big reclamation projects? The idea that "every player in the league wants to play for Rex" has already been debunked many times over in free agency, but you'd think he'd be able to get the best out of the 53 guys on his own roster, no? Like Mangini, Rex is a slave to the Mike Devito's of the world.

All Rex has shown us here is that there can only be one big mouth in the locker room.

... and yes, his affinity for "Mangini guys" like Eric Smith is, well... is.

And on that same token, Sirlance is 3 months away from starting a thread on how Tannenbaum is an idiot for signing Curtis Conway.

Tannenbaum is an idiot for signing Mason. And signing Plaxico. And not signing any Olineman. And chasing Nnamdi for no good reason, and drafting Ducasse and not cutting him after sucking and forcing the team to start a rookie UDFA castoff center with 2 weeks on the squad and giving away two games because of it. And for letting Woody go. And Ellis. And for drafting Scotty McKnight as a mascot for Sanchez when we needed line depth. And for destroying team chemistry and leadership in favor of mouthy headline grabbers in order to keep his team in the papers. And for putting a less talented, less disciplined, less competitive team on the field this season than we've had the last two seasons. Otherwise he's doing fine.

Mason not working out is disappointing, but looks to be a pretty pain-free move. Little cost against the cap, and a potential 7th rounder out of the deal? Not terrible. It's not like signing Mason in the first place is the reason the Jets are 2-3. They signed him for insurance purposes for the league minimum. Five weeks in, they decide that he's not working and/or they don't need him. Done. People want the Jets to cut bait on players not working out, Mason was the best candidate for that.

The upside is that this would suggest that they have some faith in Kerley. That's a good thing.

Tannenbaum is an idiot for signing Mason. And signing Plaxico. And not signing any Olineman. And chasing Nnamdi for no good reason, and drafting Ducasse and not cutting him after sucking and forcing the team to start a rookie UDFA castoff center with 2 weeks on the squad and giving away two games because of it. And for letting Woody go. And Ellis. And for drafting Scotty McKnight as a mascot for Sanchez when we needed line depth. And for destroying team chemistry and leadership in favor of mouthy headline grabbers in order to keep his team in the papers. And for putting a less talented, less disciplined, less competitive team on the field this season than we've had the last two seasons. Otherwise he's doing fine.

Plaxico is having a better year than Edwards.

They chased Aso because they wanted him, if they didn't chase guys you would call them weak.

Drafting Duccase? You are going to bash him for that? As if 100% of draft picks are amazing? Always. Get real.

Woody is retired, with a blown apart leg... and fat... and was not very good anymore to begin with BEFORE those reasons. Wake up.

The JETS Dline has not missed Ellis one bit.

Who the hell cares who he drafted in round 7? Oline depth? In the 7th round? That is a lotto ticket you don't win often.

Destroying team chemistry? What was the turnover on the JETS vs the NFL average?

Plaxico is having a better year than Edwards.

They chased Aso because they wanted him, if they didn't chase guys you would call them weak.

Drafting Duccase? You are going to bash him for that? As if 100% of draft picks are amazing? Always. Get real.

Woody is retired, with a blown apart leg... and fat... and was not very good anymore to begin with BEFORE those reasons. Wake up.

The JETS Dline has not missed Ellis one bit.

Who the hell cares who he drafted in round 7? Oline depth? In the 7th round? That is a lotto ticket you don't win often.

Destroying team chemistry? What was the turnover on the JETS vs the NFL average?

All of this defense still leads to the fact that we're not a good football team.

So really, everything you said is moot.

This is such a painful whine of a post.

I hated the push for Nnamdi, too. He failed there. They win for losing there, IMHO.

Plaxico looks pretty good to me. Don't get the complaint there. Mason's now gone at virtually no cost. Again, what's the problem.

But citing letting Woody go? Woody was done and seems to be happy in retirement. Loved the guy, but I don't know what he'd be doing for this team today. Ellis is a non-factor in his new home (at an engorged salary), and his replacement is playing decently.

Bitching about Scotty McKnight? How big a complaint is that, really? Was there some stud OL sitting there in the 7th round that the Jets missed out on? Certainly wasn't the most brilliant draft pick, but how do you even bother listing a 7th rounder not on the team as some sort of reason that Tannenbaum's an idiot?

What team chemistry was destroyed by letting Cotchery -a player who begged to be released- go?

While Ducasse isn't working out right now, the fact that the Jets spent a 2nd rounder on him at a time when the OL was a strength on the team should demonstrate that they care about the OL. No one foresaw the problems they're having up front this year. If you did, please bump those foreshadowing posts.

Every GM misses on draft picks. You can 20-20 hindsight every move every executive makes. I'm not in love with Tanny's methods, either, but these are just a bunch of trumped up charges against him. His MO has always been mortgaging the future for today. It seemed to be working the last two years, and now it seems to've caught up with him. He needs to regroup, no doubt about it. This year's draft wasn't a bad start. He needs to collect more picks and find more diamonds in the rough going forward. Stay out of the high priced FA market for a couple years.

All of this defense still leads to the fact that we're not a good football team.

So really, everything you said is moot.

Still a top 5 defense and the offense is really no worse than the last two years... you are just caught up in the crappy moment...

This is such a painful whine of a post.

I hated the push for Nnamdi, too. He failed there. They win for losing there, IMHO.

Plaxico looks pretty good to me. Don't get the complaint there. Mason's now gone at virtually no cost. Again, what's the problem.

But citing letting Woody go? Woody was done and seems to be happy in retirement. Loved the guy, but I don't know what he'd be doing for this team today. Ellis is a non-factor in his new home (at an engorged salary), and his replacement is playing decently.

Bitching about Scotty McKnight? How big a complaint is that, really? Was there some stud OL sitting there in the 7th round that the Jets missed out on? Certainly wasn't the most brilliant draft pick, but how do you even bother listing a 7th rounder not on the team as some sort of reason that Tannenbaum's an idiot?

What team chemistry was destroyed by letting Cotchery -a player who begged to be released- go?

While Ducasse isn't working out right now, the fact that the Jets spent a 2nd rounder on him at a time when the OL was a strength on the team should demonstrate that they care about the OL. No one foresaw the problems they're having up front this year. If you did, please bump those foreshadowing posts.

Every GM misses on draft picks. You can 20-20 hindsight every move every executive makes. I'm not in love with Tanny's methods, either, but these are just a bunch of trumped up charges against him. His MO has always been mortgaging the future for today. It seemed to be working the last two years, and now it seems to've caught up with him. He needs to regroup, no doubt about it. This year's draft wasn't a bad start. He needs to collect more picks and find more diamonds in the rough going forward. Stay out of the high priced FA market for a couple years.

Its not any single move. Its the total sum. Schotty calls some effective plays. I could go through a game and pick them out. Then find the innefective plays and justify them with "poor execution" "They made a good defensive play" "Player X fell down on that one", etc. But the end result is Schotty has done a poor job overall. Same goes for Tanny. Chasing Nnamdi means we didn't address other positions of need, and cut vets to clear cap space for Aso. The big splash didn't happen. And we were left behind the 8 ball. Overall poor job by Tanny this offseason. And many were of the same opinion before the regular season started. As far as a 7th being useless...why all the praise for trading Mason for a (conditional) 7th? Doesn't seem reasonable. The team was built for a win-now season last year. Not a long-haul steady improvement. That's fine. It's a philosophy of going all-in and making a run. I just don't agree with it. So I knock the philosophy. Cutting Mason was a positive move, actually. Tanny's biggest drawback was his ego and inability to let go of any player he drafted/signed. This move is a departure from that fault and shows willingnes to put his ego behind the teams best interests. So no knock on him there.

Still a top 5 defense and the offense is really no worse than the last two years... you are just caught up in the crappy moment...

Let's talk again when you actually watch a game this year.

The defense is top 5 in pass yards per game, so maybe that's what you were talking about? Otherwise, we're we're 11th in total yards, 20th in points per game, and 26th in pass yards. So, I'm assuming your 'top 5' stat is based on a combination last year and what you really, really, wish was true.

As for the offense, this year we're averaging 76 yards per game on the ground. Last year it was 148 yards per game. We do make up for that 72 yards on the ground with 19 additional passing yards per game. So, maybe that's what you're focusing on?

So, yes, my opinion is based on the "crappy moment" as you say. The problem is, the "crappy moment", is the 2011 New York Jets season.

I think all this means is Kerley is really good.

Love it. Getting a pick for a 42 year old man.

Maybe Johnson's injury is worse than expected?

Yeah, I was kind of wondering the same thing. If AJ is really only missing a few weeks, do you really go out and trade for another WR? Not to mention, doing so a week and a half after the injury took place, so it's not like it was an immediate move. I have to imagine there's some concern from the Texans about how long it will really be until they get him back for them to make this move as opposed to even just picking someone up off the scrap heap or promoting a PS player.

Not to mention wasting a 2nd rounder on Jon McGraw. DAAAAAMMMNNNN YOOOOOUUUU TAAANNEEEEMBAAAUUUM!!!

Let's talk again when you actually watch a game this year.

The defense is top 5 in pass yards per game, so maybe that's what you were talking about? Otherwise, we're we're 11th in total yards, 20th in points per game, and 26th in pass yards. So, I'm assuming your 'top 5' stat is based on a combination last year and what you really, really, wish was true.

As for the offense, this year we're averaging 76 yards per game on the ground. Last year it was 148 yards per game. We do make up for that 72 yards on the ground with 19 additional passing yards per game. So, maybe that's what you're focusing on?

So, yes, my opinion is based on the "crappy moment" as you say. The problem is, the "crappy moment", is the 2011 New York Jets season.

Right because at no point in the last two years did the JETS ever look awful on O and give up chunks on D...

You are comparing a 5 week old season to complete years... and you are just being a bitter fool if you think they will finish where they are at now.

Right because at no point in the last two years did the JETS ever look awful on O and give up chunks on D...

You are comparing a 5 week old season to complete years... and you are just being a bitter fool if you think they will finish where they are at now.

I'm basing my opinions on what's actually happening on the field. 5 weeks is plenty of time to make a judgment and if we were 5-0, and dominant, you wouldn't be urging restraint because the season is only 5 weeks old. You'd be looking on priceline for hotels in Indianapolis, hoping to get a good deal early.

Your opinions are based on the fact that things are just going to magically turn around.

Sorry ECURB, blind homerism and poor reality testing may work for you, but it doesn't give a lot of credibility to anything you say.

Archived