Potential Jets Draft Pick – Dontari Poe

JetNation

Post image for Potential Jets Draft Pick – Dontari Poe

“With the 16th pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the New York Jets select Dontari Poe Defensive Tackle Memphis”.  The boos ring out from Radio City Music Hall from the many Jets fans in attendance and the cringing faces of those reading this now on JetNation.  Poe is an interesting player in this year’s draft.  His measurements, 6′-5″ 350 pounds, will certainly attract many NFL teams, especially the ones who need a big run stuffer that can play a zero technique.

Dontari-Poe.jpegStopping the run is sometimes an overlooked aspect of NFL defenses.  It’s a passing league, correct, but analysis of Jets statistics turn up some very interesting findings.  Under Rex Ryan the Jets are 21-5 when holding opponents to 100 yards or less rushing, while 11-16 when the opponent rushes for more than 100.

Remember when Kris Jenkins was blowing up plays in the middle how the defense thrived, well Poe has the same potential.  Sione Pouha is a 33 year old free agent and maybe Poe would be the best choice for a back-up / replacement.  This pick would certainly not be the most popular but if the Jets have Poe at the top of their board when picking, he should be the one they choose.

di
di

GLQrzJxyIig

View the full article

Not bad. I'd be careful with the hollow stats though: "Under Rex Ryan the Jets are 21-5 when holding opponents to 100 yards or less rushing, while 11-16 when the opponent rushes for more than 100." When you're ahead you run, when you're behind, you pass. So winning games when the opponent has under 100 yds means you've generally already outscored them. Conversely, if the opponent has a lead...they run a lot more to burn clock. resulting in more yards rushing. So, the stat is basically useless. Without looking, I'd say the same pattern is the norm throughout the league. It's simply the way the game is formatted to work. As for spending yet another draft pick on DL...Wilfork and K. Ellis were the forst two picks last year. If Tanny Goes DL again, he should be puched in the face with a penis.

Not bad. I'd be careful with the hollow stats though: "Under Rex Ryan the Jets are 21-5 when holding opponents to 100 yards or less rushing, while 11-16 when the opponent rushes for more than 100." When you're ahead you run, when you're behind, you pass. So winning games when the opponent has under 100 yds means you've generally already outscored them. Conversely, if the opponent has a lead...they run a lot more to burn clock. resulting in more yards rushing. So, the stat is basically useless. Without looking, I'd say the same pattern is the norm throughout the league. It's simply the way the game is formatted to work. As for spending yet another draft pick on DL...Wilfork and K. Ellis were the forst two picks last year. If Tanny Goes DL again, he should be puched in the face with a penis.

Wilkerson. Wilforks fat a$$ plays for our rival patriots. Now, with that said, I actually think Poe could be a good draft pick at 16. Kenrick Ellis is said to have the ability to play end in the 3-4, and if he improves his technique we could be huge with a 340,350,315 pound defensive line that could be a great weapon stopping the run.

No statistic tells the whole story; the Jets won a game against Jacksonville quite convincingly which they gave up more than 100 yards rushing. I do feel the sample size is enough to give some incite. Making a team one dimensional is still a good way to win. I don't really know too many games in which the Jets had huge leads and other teams had to throw to catch up. In fact the Jets came from behind often and are notorious slow starters on offense.

In the last six years the Jets have drafted three defensive linemen, the last a 7th rounder in 2006 before 2011. Yes, the Jets drafted Muhammad Wilkerson 30th last year and Kendrick Ellis 94th. Wilkerson played in all 16 games had 3 sacks, a safety 48 tackles, 13 of which were assisted. Ellis didn't do much and may be deported. The fact is the jets have not put many draft picks into this position and without a strong D-line your linebackers can not maneuver to make plays. I don't know if Poe will be the pick but as the Giants have proved a strong D-line can make up for other weaknesses in the defense.

No statistic tells the whole story; the Jets won a game against Jacksonville quite convincingly which they gave up more than 100 yards rushing. I do feel the sample size is enough to give some incite. Making a team one dimensional is still a good way to win. I don't really know too many games in which the Jets had huge leads and other teams had to throw to catch up. In fact the Jets came from behind often and are notorious slow starters on offense.

In the last six years the Jets have drafted three defensive linemen, the last a 7th rounder in 2006 before 2011. Yes, the Jets drafted Muhammad Wilkerson 30th last year and Kendrick Ellis 94th. Wilkerson played in all 16 games had 3 sacks, a safety 48 tackles, 13 of which were assisted. Ellis didn't do much and may be deported. The fact is the jets have not put many draft picks into this position and without a strong D-line your linebackers can not maneuver to make plays. I don't know if Poe will be the pick but as the Giants have proved a strong D-line can make up for other weaknesses in the defense.

I thought the Giants proved that you need guys that can throw and catch the football.

But then again, I heard that this guy plays like a bowling ball with butcher knives, so I'm psyched.

theres some beast a$$ Dline prospects this year. I hope we get one of them. While Devito and Pouha are good, theres no denying we can upgrade over both and add more athleticism and youth. Devon Still from Penn Sate is who I'd love to see us get, he would be our other DE opposite Mo.

Ellis was drafted just last year for this purpose and he can be worked in with Pouha this comming season and probably take over the next depending on how much Pouha has left. If the Jets draft this guy it would once again prove just how bad this team drafts

Ellis was drafted just last year for this purpose and he can be worked in with Pouha this comming season and probably take over the next depending on how much Pouha has left. If the Jets draft this guy it would once again prove just how bad this team drafts

Also depends on how much Pouha's demands are contract-wise. He's a FA.

But I'd be pretty upset if they took a clone of the guy they drafted in round 3 just last season.

I don't think it'll happen, though. Of all the things the team lacks, big slow guys who excel in run-stuffing RB's up the gut isn't one of them. Even still, this isn't a draft class that has basically one NT like we've seen in the past.

I think there's a good chance they re-sign Leonhard, leaving the glaring holes on defense at safety, where coverage and speed is needed to pair with Leonhard, and some speed at LB (OLB in particular if we're talking round 1).

I agree with the majority of these comments. Defensive line seems to me to be by far the strongest unit on the team - the Jets go a legit two deep across the line. Glaring holes at safety, RT, WR and OLB have to be the team's priorities. And looking beyond this seaon, the Jets have to consider replacements for Pace and Scott. I have to believe the Jets will take the best player to drop to them among guys like Upshaw, Ingram, Blackmon, Barron or one of the highly regarded OL prospects.

I agree with the majority of these comments. Defensive line seems to me to be by far the strongest unit on the team - the Jets go a legit two deep across the line. Glaring holes at safety, RT, WR and OLB have to be the team's priorities. And looking beyond this seaon, the Jets have to consider replacements for Pace and Scott. I have to believe the Jets will take the best player to drop to them among guys like Upshaw, Ingram, Blackmon, Barron or one of the highly regarded OL prospects.

Richardson. Ingram plays for the Saints.

If they go DL in the first round I will scream.

Depends on he player...drafting for year by year need can be just as bad as loading up talent that you perceive unnecessary.

That said, I cant see DL in the first without a top player falling there. I'd be interested in Brockers at 16 for instance...he's raw as **** but we have two guys who are known as great defensive front 7/line coaches, plus a top tier D coaching staff all around. There wouldn't be a DL more more raw size or talent in the game...IF Brockers and Ellis develop and Wilkerson keeps growing.

Plus throw in Tannenbaum liking to cover bases through FA and there's not really a position that can truly be ruled out....

Was he even on the field against Stanford and Balyor.

was Poe on the field for memphis' various butt kickings

these guys are basically run stuffers and most college games are spread out passing affairs. I don't think they impact the outcome of games that much, which is why they both probably aren't worth 1st round picks.

Named an MVP as well as the Defensive Player of the Year at the team's post-season banquet.

was Poe on the field for memphis' various butt kickings

these guys are basically run stuffers and most college games are spread out passing affairs. I don't think they impact the outcome of games that much, which is why they both probably aren't worth 1st round picks.

Poe was eatting a hot dog.

Balyor only ran for 482 yards in their game against Washington while Stanford only had 446 against them, an off day, this guys stock has been dropping like a rock. He was the #1 NT early in the year but not now. I've seen Poe rated at like 21-28. He may not be a first rounder but he'll go before Ta'aum.

It's not fair to compare the two. Poe played in the difficult Conference USA, with power houses like Houston and So. Mss, so his team was 2-10 it's hard out there. Washington plays in the Junk-12 easy as pie Stanford, USC, Oregon, ect. no problem with those cream puffs. Sure Baylor had some guy who won a trophy but Ta'aum did nothing while Poe ate up SEC power Mississippi State, even though they lost 14-59.

Poe also has this going for him:

...Named an MVP as well as the Defensive Player of the Year at the team's post-season banquet.

So there you go MVP. :winking0001: Was Ta'aum named MVP at his dinner, I don't think so.....

It's not fair to compare the two. Poe played in the difficult Conference USA, with power houses like Houston and So. Mss, so his team was 2-10 it's hard out there. Washington plays in the Junk-12 easy as pie Stanford, USC, Oregon, ect. no problem with those cream puffs.

this is sarcasm right?

either way Tanny didn't use a 3 on Kenrick Ellis to take another NT with a 1 or 2 pick, 1 year later.

this is sarcasm right?

either way Tanny didn't use a 3 on Kenrick Ellis to take another NT with a 1 or 2 pick, 1 year later.

Yes sarcasm.

The Jets have taken 4 running backs 2 quarterbacks and 2 wide receivers of their 13 picks over the last three years. I read every day about how the Jets need to get a RB, WR, and QB in this year's draft.

So it's ok to draft these positions over and over till you get it right but a D-linemen is out of the question because the Jets drafted a guy who had 7 tackles last year as a rookie and maybe deported. I guess the problem I have with Ellis, is he any good? Same thing applies to Bilal Powell? Are these guys good but developing or were they wastes of picks? I don't know, if I did I would prioritize something’s differently.

I've seen Poe mocked to the Jets and others in the first and also seen him fall to the second, I personally agree with you he’s a second rounder. The article about Poe is just an outside the box example of ways to go in the draft. I could easily write the Jets should take Barron but what fun would it be. I'm trying to stimulate thoughts.

By the way Phil emailed me about speaking with you via email about the combine getting your insight on the players. I might be doing an overview article with another writer about the offseason and would love/can use your knowledge. Been checking out your site as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

By the way Phil emailed me about speaking with you via email about the combine getting your insight on the players. I might be doing an overview article with another writer about the offseason and would love/can use your knowledge. Been checking out your site as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

yeah man no prob. come up with some Q's i'll give you some A's

• 2 weeks later...

I could see him playing DT in a 4-3. Imagine him and someone like Wilfork side by side in a 4-3 they'd eat up all the blockers, the DEs would have a field day.

Ive said it in other threads I think there is a possibility the Jets move to a 4-3 with the aquisition of DL coach Dunbar who has coached in that system in Minny. Coaching the DL in a 4-3 i much different than in the 3-4 and what makes me think this is possible is Rex has mixed in the 4-3 into his schemes. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Archived