How would you rank the sports teams in NY based on popularity?

Matt39

Yankees

Giants

Then it gets interchangeable to whoever is winning at the time.

Jets\Knicks (Basically a tie. If they suck no one cares. If they win eveyrone wants a piece of the action)

Mets: If they ever start winning again they will move ahead of the Jets and Knicks

Hockey: Too bad that the Rangers are not getting the pub they deserve cause right now they are the best team playing in MSG and with the Devils getting their act together it could be interesting come playoff time.

Too bad once playoffs start it will be all about the Yankees.

Is baseball really number 1? I know like three or four people who follow it closely. It's just so damn boring.

In terms of casual(female) following it probably is. I do think when the Giants/Jets go on a playoff run there's more buzz/excitement within the city though.

Is baseball really number 1? I know like three or four people who follow it closely. It's just so damn boring.

In NY, absolutely. NY has always been a baseball town.

Just a few years ago, over 8 million people combined saw games at Yankee Stadium and Citi Field, greater than the population of certain states.

In NY, absolutely. NY has always been a baseball town.

Just a few years ago, over 8 million people combined saw games at Yankee Stadium and Citi Field, greater than the population of certain states.

Gotta say I disagree. If there's one thing Linsanity's shown, it's that when the Knicks are on fire, there's nothing else like it in the city. Including the Yanks. Those 90's teams dominated the headlines and the city. The Garden is and will always be second to none.

Yankees

Giants

Jets

Knicks

Mets

Rangers

Taking an unbiased stance.

But I agree the Jets / Mets/ Knicks are interchangeable. Many people tend to bandwagon through better performed seasons of those 3 teams. For instance all of a sudden everyone is a Knicks Fan.

Gotta say I disagree. If there's one thing Linsanity's shown, it's that when the Knicks are on fire, there's nothing else like it in the city. Including the Yanks. Those 90's teams dominated the headlines and the city. The Garden is and will always be second to none.

Incorrect.

The Yankees are the only team in NY capable of supporting an entire network with games and original programming. They and Manchester United may be the two most popular sport franchises in the world.

edit: and I'm aware of MSG but they also cover the Rangers and Giants.. YES is 99% Yankees and 1% Nets.

Depends on how successful the teams are. None of the fans in NY are very loyal in the event of a bad season. Maybe the hockey diehards are, but of basketball, baseball and the NFL the fans kind of disappear when the teams stink. I think the NFL still holds the TV viewership when the Jets and Giants are bad, but nobody goes to those winter games. There have been games Ive gone to in December and January that are less filled than the preseason game against the Eagles.

When things are going well its a Knicks town. None of the other major sports compare. The Garden used to rock over 40 times a year until Van Gundy left. High priced tickets and the fans never treated it as a meaningless game. Knicks/Clippers had atmosphere to it. Even in those Chaney years people were still interested. It was really the Marbury/Isiah combination that killed the city for the Knicks. Awful team and two people who the fans did not like at the top of the mess. It took way longer to kill off than the other sports.

I'd go Knicks/Yankees/Giants/Mets/Jets/Rangers/Islanders/Nets/Devils

Not totally a disagreement. NY is a more "passionate" Knicks town, but the Yanks have a steadier affection.

Sports in NY is like a French marriage. The Yanks are your wife whom you're happily married to and would never divorce, while the Knicks are your incredibly hot mistress who rocks your world in bed. But she's also insane and you can't be around her for long.

The Giants/Jets are your favorite hooker from the local brothal. The Rangers is your business trip piece of a$$.

As a Yankee fan I have have to admit the 2009 WS title was the most ho hum victory in the history of sports. No one really cared.

That's because it was their 5th Championship in the Jeter/Mo era.

1996 was the most excitement for the Yankees' championship since the 1970s.

That's because it was their 5th Championship in the Jeter/Mo era.

1996 was the most excitement for the Yankees' championship since the 1970s.

Of course....but it also kind of says right now its more of a basketball/football town moreso than baseball. At least that's the sense I get being around NYC. If the Knicks win a series the town will be insane....sorta similar to this Giants run and the past 2 Jets runs.

You obviously cant argue with baseball and its history here...but people seem to be more glued to football and basketball

When things are going well its a Knicks town. None of the other major sports compare. The Garden used to rock over 40 times a year until Van Gundy left. High priced tickets and the fans never treated it as a meaningless game. Knicks/Clippers had atmosphere to it. Even in those Chaney years people were still interested. It was really the Marbury/Isiah combination that killed the city for the Knicks. Awful team and two people who the fans did not like at the top of the mess. It took way longer to kill off than the other sports.

Yep. This.

Yep. This.

I agree with Jason, too. The intensity of the Knick fandom is greater in the city. It brings out more passion. The benefit of the Knicks is that they have no real competition in this city. It will be interesting to see if in 20 yrs whatever the name of the team in Brooklyn is will dent that fandom.

My original point on NYC being a baseball town is not merely Yanks or Mets, but combined. The total number of Yanks and Met fans is the largest of the major sports.

Good conversation.

Gotta qualify it, though. If all the teams were equally good at the same time, and if you're talking popularity in terms of sheer number of people interested over a period of time, it's the Yankees. But if you're talking about the intensity of that interest over a short period, it's the Knicks.

This may be a bit on a tangent, but since we are discussing all New York teams, I've always wondered how the Islanders early 80s dynasty was received in the city? Did they begin to captivate the 5 boros or were their popularity only confined to LI? Did they get parades and treated as royalty as NYC did for the Blueshirts in 1994? I was only 1-4 during those years so I have no recollection. I'd love to get both a NYC perspective and LI perspective. I'm a Ranger fan but simply curious.

Also, I do remember the Islanders run in 1993 getting some relative heavy coverage (which was unexpected)in the media in NYC, especially after Turgeon got martyred in round 2.

Good conversation.

Gotta qualify it, though. If all the teams were equally good at the same time, and if you're talking popularity in terms of sheer number of people interested over a period of time, it's the Yankees. But if you're talking about the intensity of that interest over a short period, it's the Knicks.

Bandwagon fans! I knew it! ;)

Depends on how successful the teams are. None of the fans in NY are very loyal in the event of a bad season. Maybe the hockey diehards are, but of basketball, baseball and the NFL the fans kind of disappear when the teams stink. I think the NFL still holds the TV viewership when the Jets and Giants are bad, but nobody goes to those winter games. There have been games Ive gone to in December and January that are less filled than the preseason game against the Eagles.

100% agree, the yankees may dominate in sports lore and across the country as the most historic and watched franchise, but in terms of buzz in the city, there is nothing like it when the Knicks are winning. Osi was on ESPN the other day and they asked him point blank who's town is it: he responds that even though they (the giants) had just won their second superbowl in five years that when the Knicks are playing well, there's nothing like it. I've heard this sentiment from many athletes and people over the years and have experienced it first hand as well.

Not for nothing and it could be do just to the massive population in NYC, but the Knicks have had top 5 average attendance even during the crappy 2000's. They sold out the first two years in the 2000s and have averaged 19,284 fans over the last ten years; where a sellout is 19,763. It's why I've always felt that Knicks' fans, along with rangers fans, were the most die hard and represented their teams through even the hardest of times.

The Giants/Jets are your favorite hooker from the local brothal. The Rangers is your business trip piece of a$$.

to be more exact - the Jets are a crack whore who slips u a micky fin and then raunches you up the fudge tunnel.

At least that's what it seems after following this team for 40+ years...

Archived