Manish Mehta: Jets Give Bart Scott Permission to Seek trade

flgreen

NY Jets give linebacker Bart Scott permission to seek trade

Bart Scott, who has 3-years left on $48 million on deal, given permission to seek trade

Comments

By Manish Mehta / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, February 27, 2012, 3:12 PM

buttonRightImgUp.png

buttonLeftImgUp.png

Tumblr buttonRightImgUp.png

buttonLeftImgUp.png

Digg buttonRightImgUp.png

buttonLeftImgUp.pngreddit.png

Reddit buttonRightImgUp.png

Print

image.jpg

Robert Sabo/New York Daily News

Bart Scott could be playing elsewhere next season, including with the Giants, as the Jets give the linebacker permission to seek a trade.

Nearly two months after the Jets missed the playoffs for the first time since Rex Ryan took over, Gang Green has made it clear it would like to part ways with one of the key components in the Jets’ trips to consecutive AFC Championship Games.

The Daily News has learned that the Jets have given linebacker Bart Scott permission to seek a trade.

Scott has three years remaining on his six-year, $48 million contract signed in 2009. Rex Ryan brought Scott over from the Ravens to help Gang Green learn the intricacies of a defensive system that thrived in Baltimore.

Scott restructured his deal before the 2011 season. The tradeoff for his paycut in 2011 was that his 2012 base salary of $4.2 million would be fully guaranteed. (He also has an additional $250,000 bonus). Scott's base salary is $6.9 million in 2013 and 2014. Scott's guaranteed base salary in 2012 makes it unlikely that the Jets would simply cut him. Financially, it won't make much sense.

Scott, 31, grew increasingly unhappy with his diminished playing time during the Jets' disappointing 8-8 season. He was routinely taken out on third downs due to the team's belief that he had difficulty in coverage.

According to Pro Football Focus, Scott's 677 defensive snaps in 2011 were fewer than each of his first two seasons with the Jets.

His frustration at the end of the season was palpable. The Jets fined the veteran inside linebacker $10,000 for giving a photographer the middle finger in the Jets' locker room after Gang Green's disappointing loss to the Miami Dolphins.

The Jets freed up more than $7 million dollars last week by restructuring D'Brickashaw Ferguson's contract. They could create much-needed additional space by trading Scott, who could be a fit with the team that shares a stadium with the Jets. The Giants may be in the market for a linebacker this offseason.

Scott recently had a minor elbow scope, which shouldn't prevent him from participating in offseason activities that begin in mid-April.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-give-linebacker-bart-scott-permission-seek-trade-article-1.1029424#ixzz1ncINedK5

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enough with the Burfict, the guy is a head case, and ran a slower 40 than half the DL, and OL prospects at the combine.

Double darn, I missed the Linebacker workouts. Unfortunately no ones stupid enough to take Scott with that contract. Wish we'd taken Ray Lewis.

He'd have handled Holmes and the lockeroom last year.

Like I've been saying, Its probably Kuechley the Jets are after at 16.

Too small.

Unless they are going to more of a 4-3 base, then in that case are you moving Harris or Kuechly to OLB.

If it's any ILB it's hightower.

I still think the pick is going to be Stephen Hill.

Nevermind. I looked at his measureables. Luke could be the pick he's the same size as Scott. Thing is, would he be there after the Cowboys and Eagles pick?

Too small.

Unless they are going to more of a 4-3 base, then in that case are you moving Harris or Kuechly to OLB.

Nevermind. I looked at his measureables. Luke could be the pick he's the same size as Scott. Thing is, would he be there after the Cowboys and Eagles pick?

Every Mock I've seen has the Eagles taking him at 15, obviously just mocks, but there is probably something to it. I prefer Hightower, he will be the best LB taken in this draft IMO.

Too small.

Stephen Hill? No.

He didn't really produce in college. He has good measurables, but so did Gholston. If we take a WR in the first, it should be Floyd. Production, size and speed.

Actually he did produce. But they don't throw the ball at Georgia Tech. Gholston is a very poor comparison. I can show you what I'm talking about.

I did a breakdown of the catches. Yes I know he hasn't run a route tree but watch the film and read what I wrote.

i hate this logic. the Jets should never draft another rare athlete again, because of Gholston. Really?

That's not what I said. Hill didn't produce in college and didn't pop up on the radar until combine week. I don't think he is that rare of an athlete either.

Hill didn't have a lot of catches in college but his average per catch is retarded. GT didn't throw the ball a lot, not Hills fault. He's going to be a solid to great NFL WR and well worth a second round pick.

A second or thrid round pick, fine. First is ridiculous.

That's not what I said. Hill didn't produce in college and didn't pop up on the radar until combine week. I don't think he is that rare of an athlete either.

Agreed -- no body of work equals a major reach anywhere higher than Rd 3.

Archived