Stanton feels lied to and betrayed

RyanBe_Tweetin

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rotate all of the QB's, all the time. This is exactly the 49ers did in the early 60's -- playing 3 QB's (Bill Kilmer, John Brodie and Bob Waters) in what is generally considered the first shotgun formation. They had a different set of plays for each QB and ran the shotgun full time. Now that would be a mutha to game plan for.

I think the 9ers also had Brodie and Kilmer playing at the same time for a while, so that's another whacko option.

I LOVE IT!!!

Mike T tells so many stories, it is hard to separate truth from friction. Stanton is told...guaranteed- he is the #2 QB and the jets are not going to bring in another QB. Then in comes Tebow. Tebow states- and this guy does not lie- he was told by Mr T he will compete for starting job. Meanwhile, Mr T, in his interview last night, says Tebow will be a situational player. Who do we believe? Does Jet management have a clue? Not sure they do. Woops- forgot to read contract? WTF!!?? Let the circus continue.

Dino Costa said it best last night- "The land of misfit toys of the NFL, also known as the New York Jets". Well said.

Link?

Post image for Stanton Wants Out

Once the Tebow deal was made official, you could see this coming from a mile away as ex-No.2 QB Drew Stanton who signed last week wants out.  He prefers to be released but a trade out would work well for him as well.

The Daily News has learned that Stanton would prefer to be released or traded after the team acquired Tim Tebow on Wednesday. Stanton, who spent four seasons with the Lions, signed a one-year, $1.25 million deal that included a $500,000 signing bonus last week. He would rather be released, but he’d be amenable to a trade, according to a source.

The Jets targeted Stanton at the outset of free agency to replace Mark Brunell as the Jets’ No. signal caller.

However, Tebow’s arrival has altered the pecking order.

“When we signed Drew, obviously this was not contemplated in that decision,” Tannenbaum said on Wednesday night.  “When you get an unexpected opportunity to add a player like Tim, you have to take advantage of that.”

What could the Jets get for Stanton? Probably nothing better than a 6th or 7th round pick.

di
di

j28esTr5cnk

View the full article

Let me guess. He made the announcement over twitter?

I forget where I read it. What I want to know is why the GM is naming the pecking order for anyone before they're even in the locker room yet, let alone seeing how they do with the receivers we have or acclimating to the strategies (such as they are and have been). He's done this with Brunell and then Stanton and now Tebow. Why not just say nothing and let the coaches determine who's worthy of what slot in the pecking order? They're backup QB's; no one gives a crap unless you offer this up. Who really asked - because who really cares - whether Stanton was going to be ahead of or behind McElroy? All he has to say is no one (other than an obvious starter) is locked into any spot on the roster and we'll put guys in the position that best serves the team and utilizes their skills.

So we downgraded the #2QB position and now there will not qualified #3. The Tebow trade just keeps getting better!

They brought in Tebow to start. For obvious reasons they can't say he is #1 but by week #1 he will be the starter. Everyone loves Tebow and he is a winner. It is also good for team chemistry to come together and unite and also the image of this team will be total different by the end of the year.

They brought in Tebow to start. For obvious reasons they can't say he is #1 but by week #1 he will be the starter. Everyone loves Tebow and he is a winner. It is also good for team chemistry to come together and unite and also the image of this team will be total different by the end of the year.

I welcome new posters. Its nice to see new people.

But with regards to your post all i have to say is please get your head out of your a$$!

contrary to popular belief, football teams don't owe it to their players to tell them the truth. take your 1.25 mil Drew, hold the clipboard and STFU.

Yeah I gotta agree with you there.

Whether anyone here likes the Tebow acquisition or not is immaterial. Tannenbaum is the GM, Rex is the HC, and Sparano is the OC. If they want an available player are they all supposed to collectively conclude, "Whoa, we'd better not. We promised Drew Stanton we wouldn't and this would upset him."?

Please.

Jif has a new handle ?

Jets should give Stanton his freedom

March, 22, 2012

Mar 22

2:14

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Jets have a quarterback controversy, but it's not what you think. It involves recently-signed backup Drew Stanton, who understandably wants to be released or traded in the aftermath of the Tim Tebow trade.

Stanton signed last Friday to be the No. 2 quarterback; that's the primary reason he chose the Jets over other opportunities with the Bucs and Chiefs, among others. Sure, he received a $500,000 signing bonus on a one-year deal, but he took the job because it represented a promotion after years of being the Lions' No. 3.

When the Jets landed Tebow, they immediately declared him the No. 2. Stanton? Sorry, kid, maybe you can stick as our No. 3. GM Mike Tannenbaum said he'd assess the situation in the coming weeks. Stanton is none too happy about this turn of events.

Do him a favor, just release him now. The backup jobs around the league are filling up, so a prompt pink slip would allow him to find another job. The Jets, of course, would have to eat the $500,000, which would stay on their salary cap. Oops.

This is an awkward situation, and I don't believe the Jets purposely tried to screw Stanton, but they promised him a specific role and demoted him before he had the chance to take a snap. Obviously, they don't have to do anything -- a contract is a contract -- but the good-faith move would be to part ways.

Imagine that: A marriage shorter than the Kardashian-Humphries union.

Well isn't that special!

churchspecial.JPG

If Stanton wants to leave so badly, he can give back the $500K and go.

Cimini isn't living in the real world if he thinks the Jets should eat that money now. What happens if one of their QB's ruptures an achilles in the spring?

I can get why he's unhappy, but that's life. He signed the contract and got handed half a mill to join this team, so now he's got to live with their decision-making. If another team wants to give the Jets something, anything, for Stanton then they should go ahead and make the move, but if not there's no reason they shouldn't at least bring him into camp and make him earn that money.

If Stanton wants to leave so badly, he can give back the $500K and go.

Cimini isn't living in the real world if he thinks the Jets should eat that money now. What happens if one of their QB's ruptures an achilles in the spring?

Exactly, the Jets would have to be complete idiots to cut Stanton outright at this point. There's absolutely no reason that they should.

I forget where I read it. What I want to know is why the GM is naming the pecking order for anyone before they're even in the locker room yet, let alone seeing how they do with the receivers we have or acclimating to the strategies (such as they are and have been). He's done this with Brunell and then Stanton and now Tebow. Why not just say nothing and let the coaches determine who's worthy of what slot in the pecking order? They're backup QB's; no one gives a crap unless you offer this up. Who really asked - because who really cares - whether Stanton was going to be ahead of or behind McElroy? All he has to say is no one (other than an obvious starter) is locked into any spot on the roster and we'll put guys in the position that best serves the team and utilizes their skills.

Dude, you're totally right. But if the F.O. didnt do this then it wouldnt be a Jets organization would it? lol. Its crazy how we're being laughed at and we havent even made it to the draft. Terrible.

contrary to popular belief, football teams don't owe it to their players to tell them the truth. take your 1.25 mil Drew, hold the clipboard and STFU.

While, yes, teams don't owe it to players to tell them the truth, anyone who lies to someone else in order to induce them into agreeing to a contract bears the risk of being liable for damages.

It's called fraudulent inducement. Stanton & his agent probably have the right to file a grievance with the NFL. Whether he has to pay back the $500k is an interesting question. Likely he would, unless he can show he turned down other jobs that would pay him at least that amount.

Archived