Jets downplay Steve Johnson's success against Revis- M. Florio

Kentucky Jet

Jets downplay Stevie Johnson’s success against Darrelle Revis

Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2012, 9:17 PM EDT

images-e1346634868470.jpeg?w=188 Getty Images

There’s a perception that Bills receiver Stevie Johnson has found the way off Revis Island. The Jets disagree with that notion. Strongly.

“Stevie Johnson’s a good receiver and he’s caught some balls, but I wouldn’t say he’s got Darrelle Revis’ number,” coach Rex Ryan said, per Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “He goes up against all types: Big, strong, fast, shifty. He goes against them all. And I’ve never walked out of a game saying, ‘This player got the best of Darrelle Revis.’ Never. Never felt that way. Do you realize how special this guy is? It is amazing what we ask him to do.”

(And there’s the latest comment that will be printed and laminated for the next round of contract negotiations.)

Linebacker Bart Scott has an explanation for the belief that Johnson can beat Revis, one on one. “It’s like Michael Jordan playing against Dominique Wilkens and Dominique gets 20 and it’s like, ‘Ohhh! He lit Jordan’s ass up!’” Scott said. “Come on, man. Nobody’s indestructible. A lot of times when he gives up yards, he’s got the whole half of the field with no help. Everybody was doubling everybody else on the other side. It’s easy for [Johnson] to get [some yards].”

Revis realizes that any success by any receiver will be used against him. “That’s the position I’m in,” Revis said. “The success that I’ve had is the reason why maybe people criticize me a different way. You just roll with the punches. I’m not panicking over nothing. I know how to play ball. I play great ball. I’m not panicking because a guy got 70 yards.”

Actually, it was 75. More importantly, Johnson scored a touchdown in Week 12. It was the only touchdown Revis surrendered all season.

“You’d almost sign up for that now,” Ryan said regarding Johnson’s potential production in Week One. “That’s their No. 1 receiver. If they’re going to spend a ton of their time throwing [at Johnson], we’d probably say, ‘If you’re going to catch seven balls for 70 yards, go for it. That’s fine.’ That doesn’t usually beat you.”

And that’s all that matters, really. The Jets beat the Bills twice last year. And seven of the last eight. If the Jets can make it eight of nine, the ugliness of the preseason will be quickly forgotten.

Johnson does about 20 juke moves off the line, to try and beat the Revis jam. He is the most successful I've seen any one against Revis, but his numbers look like an average day for a number 1 Receiver.

The media are trying anything at the moment, even hinting a Jag no1 is "Owning" the best Corner ever to step foot on a football field.

I just hope our Offence will just be average this year, since the D is going to be Super Sick.

While there's some merit to these points defending Revis, the truth is he has himself to blame, as his insistence on being the highest paid player at his position (and the holdout that went along with it) has caused him to be scrutinized to this extent. When you combine that with the fact that Johnson's success against Revis isn't simply limited to one game, that only feeds all of this. Not to mention, it's awfully convenient that those defending Revis in this article chose to leave out the little part where Revis got completely burned for what could have been the Bills' game-winning TD, if it wasn't for Johnson dropping the pass. The guy's an unbelievable talent, but I'm not sure why it's such an unreasonable thing to admit that he has some bad plays at times, just like every NFL player.

......the little part where Revis got completely burned for what could have been the Bills' game-winning TD, if it wasn't for Johnson dropping the pass.

So you want to hate on Revis because Johnson sucks, and can't catch?

Wouldn't it just be easier to admit Johnson wasn't as good as he thinks he is? If he was so great, wouldn't he have CAUGHT a game-winning TD?

Oh.....

BD

Wouldn't it just be easier to admit Johnson wasn't as good as he thinks he is? If he was so great, wouldn't he have CAUGHT a game-winning TD?

Oh.....

BD

Hello strawman. You consistently are tearing down arguments that no one is making. BG was just giving rationale for why this type of scrutiny is partly due to Revis' attitude; you make a big deal about being the best and being compensated as such, then you are open to the level of scrutiny the best receive. Nowhere was their mention of Johnson's ability or the perception that Johnson has of himself in either the article or BG's post. Hell, he even stated how great a talent Revis was.

If you're gonna play this game, at least try harder.

MookieB

Hello strawman. You consistently are tearing down arguments that no one is making. BG was just giving rationale for why this type of scrutiny is partly due to Revis' attitude; you make a big deal about being the best and being compensated as such, then you are open to the level of scrutiny the best receive. Nowhere was their mention of Johnson's ability or the perception that Johnson has of himself in either the article or BG's post. Hell, he even stated how great a talent Revis was.

If you're gonna play this game, at least try harder.

MookieB

Whoever is giving his grief is a schlemiel, and doesn't know anything about football.

A lot of ignorant people are critics because they don't know how to do anything. I wipe my rear with what critics say, that's all.....

BD

Oh.....

BD

Thanks for proving my point. The idea that admitting Revis has had some bad plays (while simultaneously referring to him as an "unbelievable talent") is classified as "hating on him" is completely laughable. Revis is not infallible, it's about time people accept that.

It's also very possible that Johnson isn't as good as he thinks he is, but that really doesn't prove much of anything. I'm not sure what about Johnson choking when it counted on a particular play has anything to do with Revis, unless it's your stance that Revis somehow was the cause of Johnson dropping a pass while wide open right after beating Revis in coverage.

It's also very possible that Johnson isn't as good as he thinks he is, but that really doesn't prove much of anything. I'm not sure what about Johnson choking when it counted on a particular play has anything to do with Revis, unless it's your stance that Revis somehow was the cause of Johnson dropping a pass while wide open right after beating Revis in coverage.

He heard Revis' footsteps! lol.

let's not forget Johnson was wide open, hit in stride for what would have probably been the game winning TD and dropped it too.... but I do agree with the posts here. While 9 / 77 with 1 TD is 18.2 in my fantasy league, and I'll take it, it's nothign special.

Thanks for proving my point. The idea that admitting Revis has had some bad plays (while simultaneously referring to him as an "unbelievable talent") is classified as "hating on him" is completely laughable. Revis is not infallible, it's about time people accept that.

Slow your ignorance. Who admitted Revis gave up bad plays?

As I said before, the TD was not even on him. It was a zone defense, and he passed him over to the ILB on that play, if you go back and look at the play.

Giving up some 8 yard slant is nowhere near bad plays, or even bad defense.

Anybody who says that TD was on Revis PERIOD, didn't see the play, or doesn't know what they're talking about anyway.

I wipe my bum with critics.....

BD

Revis had a harder time with Johnson last year. His statline against Johnson was 11 receptions on 16 targets for 152 yards. Thats 68.8% for 14.5 YPC on an average YAC of 3.81. Against everyone else the numbers were 34.7% for 14.5 and 3.1 YAC. Everyone has a guy they just seem to have troubles with and maybe this will be Revis' guy. We'll get an idea this week, but just discounting two games because it was a simple TD route isnt really fair.

Slow your ignorance. Who admitted Revis gave up bad plays?

As I said before, the TD was not even on him. It was a zone defense, and he passed him over to the ILB on that play, if you go back and look at the play.

Giving up some 8 yard slant is nowhere near bad plays, or even bad defense.

Anybody who says that TD was on Revis PERIOD, didn't see the play, or doesn't know what they're talking about anyway.

I wipe my bum with critics.....

BD

So it is your position that Darelle Revis has never had a bad play in his NFL career?

Wow. It seems the only thing you "wipe your bum with" is logic and reality.

Jets downplay Stevie Johnson’s success against Darrelle Revis

Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2012, 9:17 PM EDT

images-e1346634868470.jpeg?w=188 Getty Images

There’s a perception that Bills receiver Stevie Johnson has found the way off Revis Island. The Jets disagree with that notion. Strongly.

“Stevie Johnson’s a good receiver and he’s caught some balls, but I wouldn’t say he’s got Darrelle Revis’ number,” coach Rex Ryan said, per Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “He goes up against all types: Big, strong, fast, shifty. He goes against them all. And I’ve never walked out of a game saying, ‘This player got the best of Darrelle Revis.’ Never. Never felt that way. Do you realize how special this guy is? It is amazing what we ask him to do.”

(And there’s the latest comment that will be printed and laminated for the next round of contract negotiations.)

Linebacker Bart Scott has an explanation for the belief that Johnson can beat Revis, one on one. “It’s like Michael Jordan playing against Dominique Wilkens and Dominique gets 20 and it’s like, ‘Ohhh! He lit Jordan’s ass up!’” Scott said. “Come on, man. Nobody’s indestructible. A lot of times when he gives up yards, he’s got the whole half of the field with no help. Everybody was doubling everybody else on the other side. It’s easy for [Johnson] to get [some yards].”

Revis realizes that any success by any receiver will be used against him. “That’s the position I’m in,” Revis said. “The success that I’ve had is the reason why maybe people criticize me a different way. You just roll with the punches. I’m not panicking over nothing. I know how to play ball. I play great ball. I’m not panicking because a guy got 70 yards.”

Actually, it was 75. More importantly, Johnson scored a touchdown in Week 12. It was the only touchdown Revis surrendered all season.

“You’d almost sign up for that now,” Ryan said regarding Johnson’s potential production in Week One. “That’s their No. 1 receiver. If they’re going to spend a ton of their time throwing [at Johnson], we’d probably say, ‘If you’re going to catch seven balls for 70 yards, go for it. That’s fine.’ That doesn’t usually beat you.”

And that’s all that matters, really. The Jets beat the Bills twice last year. And seven of the last eight. If the Jets can make it eight of nine, the ugliness of the preseason will be quickly forgotten.

When you call 7 catches for 75 yards and a TD "success to be downplayed" you know that Revis is a bad man. Stevie is a good WR though.

Archived