Revis not optimistic a trade happens

Pac

Means nothing but for what it's worth...

Darrelle Revis 'not optimistic' about Tampa Bay trade

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers seemed to be the leading candidate to trade for Darrelle Revis, but that might have changed. A source who spoke with Revis told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport the cornerback is "not optimistic" a deal will get done.

Rapoport said Friday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" that Revis isn't looking to leave the New York Jets,
but the organization is unlikely to meet his contract demands. The
consensus No. 1 cornerback in the league, Revis is looking to become one
of the highest paid defensive players in the NFL.

Revis is set to opt out of his current deal and become an unrestricted free agent after the 2013 season. The Jets have not been shy about entertaining trade offers. 

But the Jets don't have a ton of leverage.
They can hold onto an unhappy Revis for a final year, then lose him in
free agency and receive nothing but a compensatory pick. If the Jets want to get this whole ordeal over and gather picks for the 2013 NFL Draft
and their current retool, they have three weeks to find a trade
partner. The Bucs, however, don't seem eager to give up their No. 13
pick.

The Revis drama continues ...

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.

VIdeo:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000157896/article/darrelle-revis-not-optimistic-about-tampa-bay-trade

we don't have a ton of leverage here. we wont be paying him and if we dont trade him we lose him for a compensatory pick.

The deliberate, pragmatic, risk-averse Idzik cannot allow that to happen.

Is it conceivable to trade him for a 2014 pick and then swap the 2014 pck for a slightly lower 2013 pick to a team that really does not like their possibilties this year?  Say a 2014 first  for a late 2013 first and a lower pick this year or next?  I realize the 2014 slot is undetermined, but maybe there is a creative way to do it?  You would then have 2 firsts next year and you could turn  the higher into two picks this year, like a high 2 and a high 3?   I don't know--creative trader I m not.  But could they do something with that?

we don't have a ton of leverage here. we wont be paying him and if we dont trade him we lose him for a compensatory pick.

We have a lot of over paid players on this roster and the one who should be getting paid is having issues. I mean look what we are paying some of these players namely Harris Brick Holmes ....Harris is a solid player in the run game but a liability in the passing game. D-brick is very inconsistent from year to year, Holmes if it were up to me would be gone as soon as financially possible. I would bet we could easily save 15 + million on these 3 players alone if they had the contracts taylored to their level of play or took pay cuts. Then add in the wasted 2.4 mil we are paying Tebow.

Im sure some on this site can find more over paid players and money still on our Cap due to players we cut ties with . The Sanchez extention was not well thought out and ties in with the Tebow signing. Just a really bad job on the part of Tannenbaum the way he handled this team. He signed Tebow as a wildcat player and the guy does not even fit the mold of a fast elusive wildcat player, not even close. The only reason he gained yards running in the Broncos offense was because the entire offense was restructured to clear out defenses and make it easy for Tebow to run when needed.  They did well because they kept defenses on their heels not knowing what was coming . bringing in Tebow in the offense idiot Sparano designed was NOTHING like that.

Tanny over paid players so as not to lose them, dumped numerous draft picks and lost a ton of role players that contirbuted to this team in small ways that basically goes unnoticed. Players that helped in the running game who could be switched out but didnt get much attention.

I think Revis is the type of player who can excell into his 30's Im not sure Harris or Brick have that going for them ,,,if we are going to rebuild this team I would much rather build around a young defense with guys like Davis Coples Wilkerson and Revis (based on what I said about Revis above) then grab some talented skill players on offense .

We can not let this go into next season or any leverage we have will be gone on all fronts. Either we pay Revis now or trade him . if the Buc's are dead set on next years first rounder and no other teams have interest I think we pay Revis and move on.

We have a lot of over paid players on this roster and the one who should be getting paid is having issues. I mean look what we are paying some of these players namely Harris Brick Holmes ....Harris is a solid player in the run game but a liability in the passing game. D-brick is very inconsistent from year to year, Holmes if it were up to me would be gone as soon as financially possible. I would bet we could easily save 15 + million on these 3 players alone if they had the contracts taylored to their level of play or took pay cuts. Then add in the wasted 2.4 mil we are paying Tebow.

Im sure some on this site can find more over paid players and money still on our Cap due to players we cut ties with . The Sanchez extention was not well thought out and ties in with the Tebow signing. Just a really bad job on the part of Tannenbaum the way he handled this team. He signed Tebow as a wildcat player and the guy does not even fit the mold of a fast elusive wildcat player, not even close. The only reason he gained yards running in the Broncos offense was because the entire offense was restructured to clear out defenses and make it easy for Tebow to run when needed.  They did well because they kept defenses on their heels not knowing what was coming . bringing in Tebow in the offense idiot Sparano designed was NOTHING like that.

Tanny over paid players so as not to lose them, dumped numerous draft picks and lost a ton of role players that contirbuted to this team in small ways that basically goes unnoticed. Players that helped in the running game who could be switched out but didnt get much attention.

I think Revis is the type of player who can excell into his 30's Im not sure Harris or Brick have that going for them ,,,if we are going to rebuild this team I would much rather build around a young defense with guys like Davis Coples Wilkerson and Revis (based on what I said about Revis above) then grab some talented skill players on offense .

We can not let this go into next season or any leverage we have will be gone on all fronts. Either we pay Revis now or trade him . if the Buc's are dead set on next years first rounder and no other teams have interest I think we pay Revis and move on.

isnt that where we made the mistake. Paying giant amounts to players we hope will be good later in life but when they slow down were screwed. Revis scares me now cause of his recent injury.

isnt that where we made the mistake. Paying giant amounts to players we hope will be good later in life but when they slow down were screwed. Revis scares me now cause of his recent injury.

being scared of the injury is a very valid point but in recent years players are coming back much stronger than they did in years past. Its not about the ligament any more its about strenghening the muscles and getting the player back into game shape. With that type of surgery these days the ligament itself is just as strong as it was prior to the injury. The harder the player works toward coming back and strengthening the leg the less problems they are going to have. Its very rare you see a player tear the same ligament.

When it comes to over paying players Tanny played the role of a GM like a scared little bitch. rather than moving on from some players and having the faith in your depth like the steelers do on a regular basis this team played scared. We should have let some players move on and replace them with draft picks or groomed players from our roster. Unfortunately I do not think we have that kind of coaching staff.

Revis staying with the Jets is less risky than trading him for picks. The picks are unknowns. Revis isn't.

I'd take the risk of finding two good players with those picks as opposed to the risk of giving Revis the opportunity to escape Florham Park next year after a 5-11 season.

I'd take the risk of finding two good players with those picks as opposed to the risk of giving Revis the opportunity to escape Florham Park next year after a 5-11 season.

chances are that out of those three players, Revis and the 2013 9 and 13 pick, Revis is best (and not even close).

Revis staying with the Jets is less risky than trading him for picks. The picks are unknowns. Revis isn't. 

This is terrible logic.  We're not operating in a vacuum where its choosing Revis or the picks.  Its Revis for 1 year, in a season where we're not a Super Bowl contender, or picks.  We're not re-signing him after the 2013 season.

I'm okay with paying him if that's what they want to do, and I'm okay with them trading him.

What I'm not okay with is going into camp or the season with Revis still on the team under his current contract. They can't be in a position where they lose him for the 100th pick in the 2015 draft. And if they don't sign him or trade him soon, that's exactly the position they'll be in. There's no way they'll win a bidding war for Revis after the season. And Revis won't be looking to sign later this year when he can taste that bidding war on the horizon.

What does post-injury Revis look like?  Since it's a "known"?

I don't know how we could extend him now, unless he doesn't believe in himself/his health, he has no motivation to not hit the open market next year.  Cost of CB is way below what he last stated he wants at present, the Jets aren't going to break the bank for him, it seems, is there a single good reason for Revis to sign an extension right now that's in line with the CB market?

For Revis, what would be the point of staying here beyond this year? To wait for a QB to emerge?

He could just like living in NY. He's a twentysomething rich person in the big city. Probably more fun than Tampa Bay. 

What does post-injury Revis look like?  Since it's a "known"?

I don't know how we could extend him now, unless he doesn't believe in himself/his health, he has no motivation to not hit the open market next year.  Cost of CB is way below what he last stated he wants at present, the Jets aren't going to break the bank for him, it seems, is there a single good reason for Revis to sign an extension right now that's in line with the CB market?

They aren't trading Revis at a high they can't even get a 1st. 

I dont know why they have to extend him now. Or trade him now.

Let Revis beast out in the regular season and get a 1st (maybe more) from a desperate contender. Or sign him cause he's so awesome. 

Worst case you lose out on a 2nd rounder (that's the offer right now, reportedly). Oh and in the worst case you  get another year of Revis' service.  

Oh and in the worst case you  get another year of Revis' service.  

Boy, will my buttons be bursting in 2016, when I look back and say what a great honor it was having Revis contribute to a 5-11 team in 2013 , only to then then get nothing in return for losing him to FA. What a great worst case scenario that is.

He could just like living in NY. He's a twentysomething rich person in the big city. Probably more fun than Tampa Bay. 

They aren't trading Revis at a high they can't even get a 1st. 

I dont know why they have to extend him now. Or trade him now.

Let Revis beast out in the regular season and get a 1st (maybe more) from a desperate contender. Or sign him cause he's so awesome. 

Worst case you lose out on a 2nd rounder (that's the offer right now, reportedly). Oh and in the worst case you  get another year of Revis' service.  

The offer right now, reportedly, is next year's #1 and next year's #2.  Idzik wants this year's #1 not next year's.  That is "reportedly" the offer.  So if the idea is to play him for about half the season to then maybe get a first rounder from a contender mid-season, then we already have that from someone who is not even guaranteed to be a contender; trade-wise, after this year's draft has passed, our trade compensation can only go down.  No one's going to offer greater mid-season than a #1 and a #2 in the upcoming draft for a star CB with no contract in 3 months.

I'm okay with paying him if that's what they want to do, and I'm okay with them trading him.

What I'm not okay with is going into camp or the season with Revis still on the team under his current contract. They can't be in a position where they lose him for the 100th pick in the 2015 draft. And if they don't sign him or trade him soon, that's exactly the position they'll be in. There's no way they'll win a bidding war for Revis after the season. And Revis won't be looking to sign later this year when he can taste that bidding war on the horizon.

Revis and his agents do not want that either.  He would lose 8-9 mill if that happened.  Revis and his agents are more desperate than us.

Archived