The Black Ryan Leaf, and other Geno Smith Bashing (Merged)

BurnleyJet

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah like WTF already seriously....  I mean if he is taken by the eagles or any other org... He's a great pick.. a steal in the second round.... But we pick him and they want to rip him to shreds...  It is unbelievable... I am so surprised a columnist  or a reporter hasn't tried to stand up for the jets since they can be original and maybe stand out a little bit. I think they rather have a pile on instead...

Nasib gem of the draft??  That's what I seen on Espn the other day..... Its too funny.... They were comparing this guy to chad Pennington.... if we take him... He is terrible.... what a bad pick.... Jets don't learn... Giants take him...  Gem of the draft....

EJ manual was a reach to knuckleheads like you and kiper, everything else indicates he's a quality kid. The first story about Geno's attitude predates the Jets drafting him, then the next set of stories came out when he immaturely was not going to stay in NY after being passed over by every team.. again, before he was a Jet. Lastly, he fired his agents for not going #1, that would've been reported anywhere

This has nothing to do with the Jets, but you are also the proud owner of a simian brain and wouldn't be able to grasp this either.

If Geno fired his agents because he wasn't selected first overall, he's completely delusional. I really tend not to believe that. I think it's a lot more likely that he fired them because it was their job to handle and market him, and they did a poor job. Geno should've participated in the Senior Bowl, and been advised that playing on his phone during interviews would reflect poorly on him. 

And while I think that most of this would've been reported wherever he wound up, I'm also pretty sure that there's a little extra going on because he landed with the Jets. 

Wow it is like how can we tear this guy apart before he has a chance to do anything in the NFL- disgraceful

I'm not a big Smith fan at all, but I agree.

This kid better have a whole new attitude on May 10, or they are going to tear him apart. His career is going to be ruined before he gets on the field.

You know what.... How worse can he be then Sanchez?  I mean that was probably the worst performance from a QB in many years... He was horrible!!! Like not even bad... He was horrific.... The jets d wasn't bad last year... Not when your on the field for fcking  the majority of the time....  Fck all the reporters... they get a kick out of knocking the jets anytime they can.. They loved ripping the jets and they started ripping Geno and then when he went to the jets... They must have almost sh*tted themselves!!! Wow... Like a Christmas gift....

If Geno fired his agents because he wasn't selected first overall, he's completely delusional. I really tend not to believe that. I think it's a lot more likely that he fired them because it was their job to handle and market him, and they did a poor job. Geno should've participated in the Senior Bowl, and been advised that playing on his phone during interviews would reflect poorly on him. 

And while I think that most of this would've been reported wherever he wound up, I'm also pretty sure that there's a little extra going on because he landed with the Jets. 

Slats I agree this kid is being treated unfairly, but com’on , a 13 year old knows that you don’t do that when you are at an interview for a McDonalds job.

The sad thing is the NY media hasn’t even gotten a hold of him yet. he better be a different guy, or fair or not, they are going to tear him apart. These guys live for this kind of thing.

Wow, how old is this kid?

I think people tend to forget that some of these kids have some maturing to do. While I will agree that these reports may raise his risk factor, his talent warrants his draft position.

People are willing to vilify a child...just that...A CHILD.

There are reports that Geno's agents up and left him after the first day, advised him against competing in the super bowl and few other things that predated the draft. While I'm sure not going in the first round played a part in their firing, it's pretty clear there were extenuating circumstances.  Still not sure I understand the whole fuss, at least the media has found their new whipping boy.

Slats I agree this kid is being treated unfairly, but com’on , a 13 year old knows that you don’t do that when you are at an interview for a McDonalds job.

The sad thing is the NY media hasn’t even gotten a hold of him yet. he better be a different guy, or fair or not, they are going to tear him apart. These guys live for this kind of thing.

It's so hard to criticize someone, especially a kid, for a story that you are only getting in piece-mail.  What if Geno was on his phone in between the 32 round-robin interviews he had, maybe he was on his phone because one of the interviewers asked him if his mother was a hooker or possibly he was on his phone during the interview with a team who already had a pro-bowl QB.  Obviously he shouldn't be on his phone, but it's pretty hard to tear this kid down for a story we don't even know about. 

The one thing you have to give him credit for is that he hasn't responded to any of the criticism in a negative way, hasn't tweeted or lashed out, yet it's the respectable adults popping off to the media the second they get fired or giving anonymous quotes to different writers and papers.  Seems kinda backwards.

It's so hard to criticize someone, especially a kid, for a story that you are only getting in piece-mail.  What if Geno was on his phone in between the 32 round-robin interviews he had, maybe he was on his phone because one of the interviewers asked him if his mother was a hooker or possibly he was on his phone during the interview with a team who already had a pro-bowl QB.  Obviously he shouldn't be on his phone, but it's pretty hard to tear this kid down for a story we don't even know about. 

The one thing you have to give him credit for is that he hasn't responded to any of the criticism in a negative way, hasn't tweeted or lashed out, yet it's the respectable adults popping off to the media the second they get fired or giving anonymous quotes to different writers and papers.  Seems kinda backwards.

We'll see what hapens when he gets here on May 10th.  This isn't going away anytime soon.  Their waiting for him

I don't get him being trashed for dumping his agent, God only know what the agent promised him and they told the kid to skip the senior bowl which could have potentially cost him millions. Agent did a sh*tty job, agent got fired. That's how it works.

The crazy part is we're actually looking at a whole new generation that really doesn't know even know or understand such simple things as this.  It's amazing how ridiculously pampered they have become and how much they need to have their hands held.  The frequency of hearing about them having their parents battling for them with their colleges or even their jobs is absolutely mind-boggling.  I was having a conversation just the other day about people bringing their parents with them on job interviews (I've actually seen it myself).  It's absurd.

I sure as hell won't argue that these dumbasses should know better, but it's becoming more and more common that they apparently don't.  You'd figure for the kind of money they're getting paid, these douchebag agents (never mind family, friends, etc) could have had him a little better prepared for all of this.  Hopefully he gets his crap together.

You are absurd... Geno rubs people the wrong way, gets plenty of neg press prior to the Jets drafting him, yet you somehow are confinced it's a Jets thing. Must be nice to live in your world

It's like you are begging... 

I think the jet haters should just let this qb "compatition" play out . Let geno smith prove himself on the field. Most of the detractors are commenting annonomously. The jet hating is unreal. The organization is making an attempt to change from last years circus atmosphere and the haters just keep hating.

The crazy part is we're actually looking at a whole new generation that really doesn't know even know or understand such simple things as this.  It's amazing how ridiculously pampered they have become and how much they need to have their hands held.  The frequency of hearing about them having their parents battling for them with their colleges or even their jobs is absolutely mind-boggling.  I was having a conversation just the other day about people bringing their parents with them on job interviews (I've actually seen it myself).  It's absurd.

I sure as hell won't argue that these dumbasses should know better, but it's becoming more and more common that they apparently don't.  You'd figure for the kind of money they're getting paid, these douchebag agents (never mind family, friends, etc) could have had him a little better prepared for all of this.  Hopefully he gets his crap together.

I’m not buying that.  I know several young men that age that have done multiple tours of Afghanistan.  Their mom’s  didn’t go.  Neither did their agents.

I also know young people who have jobs, and their own families.   Smith isn’t a child.  He’s a young man.

Some of them are that spoiled and pampered I guess.  But I’m not so sure how well it is going to fly with the NY media.  I said before that he is being treated some what unfairly, but he wants to be the starting QB on a NY football team.

Look what Sanchez is going thru right now.  He’s what?  26?

If Smith is going to avoid getting killed in NY, he better grow up real soon   

I’m not buying that.  I know several young men that age that have done multiple tours of Afghanistan.  Their mom’s  didn’t go.  Neither did their agents.

I also know young people who have jobs, and their own families.   Smith isn’t a child.  He’s a young man.

Some of them are that spoiled and pampered I guess.  But I’m not so sure how well it is going to fly with the NY media.  I said before that he is being treated some what unfairly, but he wants to be the starting QB on a NY football team.

I'm surprised you are actually buying into this anonymous sources bs. RG3 and Cam Newton both got maturity questions and look how that turned out.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing it in the least.  And obviously it's not everyone his age, but it does seem to be becoming more of a problem by the year.  I absolutely agree though, no matter what the reason is, he's got a very small window to get his crap together or he's going to crucified, especially being in NY.

I'm surprised you are actually buying into this anonymous sources bs. RG3 and Cam Newton both got maturity questions and look how that turned out.

If it was just Mehta, I'd dismiss it.   It's several different people.

In all honesty it doesn’t even matter if it is true or not.  This kid has a fire storm waiting for him.

Whether I   like it or not, it seems Smith is the strong favorite to be the Jets next “franchise” QB.   This is not a good start.   The young man has shown signs of immaturity in the past.  I’m not confident he is going to stand up well here.

If that’s true, it’s not good for Jets fans .  I root for the laundry.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing it in the least.  And obviously it's not everyone his age, but it does seem to be becoming more of a problem by the year.  I absolutely agree though, no matter what the reason is, he's got a very small window to get his crap together or he's going to crucified, especially being in NY.

See, the NY thing is the key here.  In an  earlier post someone made the point that the national media attacks the Jets.  It’s not really the Jets, it”s the nature of NY.

NY is the media center of the world.  A lot of these national guys live around here.  ESPN’s HQ is what?  Conn?.

Idzik has done everything he can to kill the circus image.  Even got Rex to shut up.    Now this crap with Smith starts.  The scribes are really going to miss Tebow.  Smith will do.

Somehow I don’t think Smith is going to be as PC as Tebow was.

I’m afraid for this guy, but mostly for the team

Was Smith really looking at his phone while seated across from a desk from an interviewer?  I get the impression that is not how it went at all.

The version of this I've read seems to imply that there was a room with several people in it, maybe other potential draftees and team coaches, and Smith sat back and looked at his phone while other potential draftees were actively walking up to the coaches to introduce themselves.

Which might not be that great for Smith, but is nowhere near as bad as being invited into a room for a one-on-one interview with a team official and taking out your phone and checking it while the official is trying to conduct an interview with you.

"Back in my day....."

Of course there's more media being given the story, but I don't believe anything is being manufactured. The kid fell pretty far, and even the Jets were willing to lose him. The meme the ape is trying to sell is that we got the steal of the draft, imo that's very far from the truth, as usually with most things emanating from his empty head

Of course there's more media being given the story, but I don't believe anything is being manufactured. The kid fell pretty far, and even the Jets were willing to lose him.

Drew Brees was projected first round.

Boomer Esiason was projected first round.

Both fell to the second round, like Geno.

Drew Brees was projected first round.

Boomer Esiason was projected first round.

Both fell to the second round, like Geno.

what is your point? Brees was knocked due to beign short and runnign a spread.. SD actually drafted his replacemtn 3 years later cause he had showed nothing

Ryan Mallett to Patriots in the 3rd round is genius match made in heaven, Geno to the Jets in the second round when nobody really expected him there and it's the second coming of  Ryan Leaf but a black a black Ryan Leaf, whatever that means. I'm pretty sure that's probably worse in NFL insider and Rush Limbaugh circles though, we've all heard what a dummy he is. That's in spite of the fact Dilfer's claims he was the only kid who picked up the entire playbook at the elite 11 camp.

what is your point? Brees was knocked due to beign short and runnign a
spread.. SD actually drafted his replacemtn 3 years later cause he had
showed nothing

He was projected first round before the draft, as was Esiason, and they both had good or great careers.

The draft is a crap shoot, falling from first the first to the second round is not that big of a deal and is not necessarily indicative of something being discovered as being wrong with the draftee the last few days.

...... That's in spite of the fact Dilfer's claims he was the only kid who picked up the entire playbook at the elite 11 camp.

I hadn't heard that.  That report certainly puts Geno a cut above the rest in terms of football smarts.

I hadn't heard that.  That report certainly puts Geno a cut above the rest in terms of football smarts.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/04/21/bell-geno-smith-racial-bias/2101977/

As for Smith, let Trent Dilfer weigh in. The former Super Bowl champ

runs the Elite 11 passing camp, matching top college quarterbacks with

hot-shot high school prospects. Of the six college quarterbacks who

worked the camp last summer in Redondo Beach, Calif., Smith was the only

one who arrived with full knowledge of the 89-page playbook Dilfer put

together and sent to participants three weeks before camp opened.

"Geno showed up, and on Day 1, he could have taught it," Dilfer told USA TODAY Sports. "He didn't just know it, he owned it.

"The Pro Football Weekly report should be discarded," Dilfer added. "It's almost laughable, the stuff he put in there."

People make up all sorts of sh*t especially pre draft, and he's got no agent at the moment . If Tebow taught us anything it's that  there's nothing the New York media enjoys more then beating up on a target who isn't fighting back.

Who did we draft in the first round again? Bc i haven't heard one thing about them since round 2.

Good point Stu.  One of my big fears about drafting Miliner was the Revis comparisons from the media.  I guess they have found another whipping boy.   Good for Miliner I guess

I'm not crazy about the Smith selection, but it is a second round pick, not a first.  I'll leave it alone for the media for awhile.  Just hope this kid is smart enough to understand he's got to be cool when he gets here or he's in for it

Lol the fact that he lasted 7 picks in the second round wasn't a clue? The jets didn't even move up to secure him. We're not getting some sure fire gem here

It will work out if the Jets are in position to get a QB next draft in the 1st round.

Archived