The Black Ryan Leaf, and other Geno Smith Bashing (Merged)

BurnleyJet

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 7h
Jets WR Stephen Hill took fair share of criticism as a rookie, but he has one of the best outlooks for a young player I've seen in long time

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 5h
Regardless of what is/isn't true about Jets QB Geno Smith's past behavior, he deserves a fair chance to prove himself in the NFL.

Mehta being positive and non-controversial?? Did I pass out and wake up in 2007?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 7h

Jets WR Stephen Hill took fair share of criticism as a rookie, but he has one of the best outlooks for a young player I've seen in long time

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 5h

Regardless of what is/isn't true about Jets QB Geno Smith's past behavior, he deserves a fair chance to prove himself in the NFL.

Mehta being positive and non-controversial?? Did I pass out and wake up in 2007?

Yes, it's more shocking than the "Black Ryan Leaf".

Man, Smith better be careful here. All signs indicate that Smith doesn’t handle criticism, or personal adversity well. I think mostly because of his predraft tweet, about “all the so called experts in the media” he put a bulls eye on his back, and they are coming after him. They smell blood in the water.

So far it has mostly been the national media poking at him. He hasn’t even gotten to the barbarians in the NYC media.

Right now they think they have an immature player. Their baiting him. Trying to get a reaction. Their going to try to make him this year’s Tebow.

If he takes the bait the scribes will destroy this kid before he even gets to the season.

He’s got to keep his mouth shut, and take the punches when he gets back in town next week

Good points. Of course, Rex will start him in Week One, he'll get beat by the Bucs 16-0, then lose by 50 to the Pats and have a meltdown when Rex benches him for Sanchez, never to be reclaimed. Jetlife, baby.

Good points. Of course, Rex will start him in Week One, he'll get beat by the Bucs 16-0, then lose by 50 to the Pats and have a meltdown when Rex benches him for Sanchez, never to be reclaimed. Jetlife, baby.

You missed the part where Sanchez goes 14-2.

90045208.jpg.19611.0_crop_340x234.jpg?12

Updated May 3, 2013 1:23 AM ET

The dog pile on Geno Smith is growing, and circling back.

geno-pi_20130430145017596_202_97.JPG

GENO'S RISE AND FALL From Heisman favorite to texting addict, the Jets' rookie has ridden quite a wave. Let's trace his recent history.

It started with Pro Football Weekly’s Nolan Nawrocki and his scathing scouting takedown, which identified Smith as an uncommitted, unfocused love child of Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks. This was followed by Smith freefalling into Day 2 of the draft and the New York Jets. Then he fired his agents, and his agents fired back in a cranky release.

Now a few anonymous NFL execs have jumped on this pile, with tales of Smith's idiocy. And this has led a few to conclude that race-baiting Nawrocki had a point.

So, all in all, this has been a pretty crappy run for Smith which seems crazy to me. He finally is making good decisions — starting with firing his agents.

Say for a second that every single anonymous tale of Smith texting and reading Twitter while visiting NFL teams pre-draft is true. Say he does not get it. Say the anonymous execs in this Yahoo column by Jason Cole nailed him word for word with:

“His biggest problem is that he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know,” said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. “I’m not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn’t listen or talk to our coaches … he’s talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can’t tell him anything right now. He’s tuned out because he thinks he’s got it all down.”

042613-Geno-Smith-SW-PI_2013042700574820

This is why players pay agents, why they give non-players 3 to 4 percent of their money. It is not only to negotiate the contract. It is to tell them the truth. It is to say, “You don’t know what you don’t know.” It is to say, “You might not go first, you might not go in the first round, so, maybe let’s think about watching this draft anywhere except the green room at Radio City.”

Maybe firing his agents, instead of proof of his idiocy, actually points to growth in Smith. He should be able to fire his agents for whatever reasons he wants. And if anybody looks childish in this, it is his ex-agents Erik Burkhardt and Jeff Nalley and their “statement” about getting dumped. Who does that? No, really, who releases this?

“We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects,” they said in a release to Pro Football Talk. “The NFL Draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft. Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be first- or second-round pick was arguably the most talked about subject in the three months leading up to the draft. We wish Geno the best.”

This is BS. If they really wished him the best, they would have quietly parted away. Nor is this proof of idiocy, this firing of agents. This actually seems like a guy taking responsibility for his role, whatever it was, in freefalling on draft day. Smith seems to be becoming well aware of what he does not know and is looking to surround himself with people willing to tell him.

This is not idiocy. This is actually smart. And it is time for the dog pile to break up.

Glad to see some balance occurring.

Unspoken in all this taking apart of Geno Smith is the fact that QB's are supposed to be strong willed, especially when they start out.  When Brett Favre started out, he used to take his shoes off during meetings and stick his bare feet up on the table as the team meeting went on.  Just to show he wasn't too overwhelmed by the occasion.

Lots of other stories of QB ego abound, especially when they are young.  Headstrong goes with the territory.

I like how he went from the top QB in his class to total disaster overnight as soon as the Jets selected him. Ridiculous.

LOL exactly..the writers are very adaptable.. they learned real quick that bashing teh jets gets them on air or in print a lot more than the opposite 

When Brett Favre started out, he used to take his shoes off during meetings and stick his bare feet up on the table as the team meeting went on.  Just to show he wasn't too overwhelmed by the occasion. 

another good way to show confidence is by texting peen pics. 

I like how he went from the top QB in his class to total disaster overnight as soon as the Jets selected him. Ridiculous.

Lol the fact that he lasted 7 picks in the second round wasn't a clue? The jets didn't even move up to secure him. We're not getting some sure fire gem here

His stock plummeted way before as did most QBs not named EJ Manuel.

Man, Smith better be careful here.  All signs indicate that Smith doesn’t handle criticism, or personal adversity well.  I think mostly because of his predraft tweet, about “all the so called experts in the media”  he put a bulls eye on his back, and they are coming after him.  They smell blood in the water.

So far it has mostly been the national media poking at him.  He hasn’t even gotten to the barbarians in the NYC media.

Right now they think they have an immature player.  Their baiting him.   Trying to get a reaction. Their going to try to make him this year’s Tebow.

If he takes the bait the scribes will destroy this kid before he even gets to the season.

He’s got to keep his mouth shut, and take the punches when he gets back in town next week

According to Hugh Douglas, they have a player who thinks he knows what is right.  He likened him to Vince Young who thought he knew how to do the right thing and his talent will carry the day.

IMHO Geno's success will be determined if someone like Rex can Par$ells him and tell him he doe snot know anything.

“His biggest problem is that he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know,” said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. “I’m not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn’t listen or talk to our coaches … he’s talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can’t tell him anything right now. He’s tuned out because he thinks he’s got it all down.”

The article makes a good point. If Geno's agents had done a better job, Geno wouldn't've been texting during interviews, tuning coaches out, etc. Maybe he would've gone a lot earlier. It's possible the Jets got a bargain here simply because his agents did a terrible job marketing the kid - if my glass is half full.

His stock plummeted way before as did most QBs not named EJ Manuel.

According to Hugh Douglas, they have a player who thinks he knows what is right.  He likened him to Vince Young who thought he knew how to do the right thing and his talent will carry the day.

IMHO Geno's success will be determined if someone like Rex can Par$ells him and tell him he doe snot know anything.

heh parcells told that to every rookie gotta love the Parcells sound bites.... best of which was to Glenn of the Patriots

This is why it cracks me up when people on this site are yelling they want him to start opening night.   Others yelling cut Sanchez right now. 

How about the kid goes to mini camps, then to training camp and see if he has his sh*t together before just say he is goning to be a great QB.

Look, I want him to be the next great QB, I have waited around long enough for one.  I just right now don't think he is one.

So let let them battle for the job.  I do not believe for one second that the GM will let Rex start any QB that did look the best and gave us the best chance to win.  Just soes not sound like he would put up with that. 

So let let them battle for the job.  I do not believe for one second that the GM will let Rex start any QB that did look the best and gave us the best chance to win.  Just soes not sound like he would put up with that. 

Rex won't need Idzik to tell him to start the best QB. Rex is going to start the QB that gives the Jets the best chance to win.

His job is on the line

Worst case scenario is him becoming the "black Kellen Clemens". 

The comparisons to Ryan Leaf are completely without premise... I'm actually in awe of how ridiculous all this has gotten. Poor kid. Any other team takes him and he's "surefire steal of the draft", but by becoming a Jet, he's OJ Simpson.

Worst case scenario is him becoming the "black Kellen Clemens". 

The comparisons to Ryan Leaf are completely without premise... I'm actually in awe of how ridiculous all this has gotten. Poor kid. Any other team takes him and he's "surefire steal of the draft", but by becoming a Jet, he's OJ Simpson.

That's such an absurd opiion.. the Original knock on the guy occured in a article from a month ago, and we have HARD EVIDENCE of his falling n the draft. This has 0 to do with the Jets and everything to do with a player that apparently rubbed a lot of teams the wrong way.  If only your primitive simian brain could grasp someting beyond it's own ego

Everybody needs to calm down and let Rex handle this. Sources say he already has a Genow package of 4 or 5 set plays on offense and will also use him as a gunner on the punt team.

Hes going to need to pack on a few pounds and degrade his throwing motion if he's expecting any real playing time

That's such an absurd opiion.. the Original knock on the guy occured in a article from a month ago, and we have HARD EVIDENCE of his falling n the draft. This has 0 to do with the Jets and everything to do with a player that apparently rubbed a lot of teams the wrong way.  If only your primitive simian brain could grasp someting beyond it's own ego

Hey meathead..  You're trying to tell me if he was drafted by the Bills there would be this many articles and as much ESPN/NFL Net time dedicated to this story?

EJ Manuel at 16 is way more of a reach than Geno at 39.

I hate that you made me agree with the Ape.

You've gotten rusty.

Hey meathead..  You're trying to tell me if he was drafted by the Bills there would be this many articles and as much ESPN/NFL Net time dedicated to this story?

LOL, apparently not too rusty though... 

EJ manual was a reach to knuckleheads like you and kiper, everything else indicates he's a quality kid. The first story about Geno's attitude predates the Jets drafting him, then the next set of stories came out when he immaturely was not going to stay in NY after being passed over by every team.. again, before he was a Jet. Lastly, he fired his agents for not going #1, that would've been reported anywhere

This has nothing to do with the Jets, but you are also the proud owner of a simian brain and wouldn't be able to grasp this either.

EJ manual was a reach to knuckleheads like you and kiper, everything else indicates he's a quality kid. The first story about Geno's attitude predates the Jets drafting him, then the next set of stories came out when he immaturely was not going to stay in NY after being passed over by every team.. again, before he was a Jet. Lastly, he fired his agents for not going #1, that would've been reported anywhere

This has nothing to do with the Jets, but you are also the proud owner of a simian brain and wouldn't be able to grasp this either.

Look at Pac neg repping me because he bit on your flaccid worm, when I didn't. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA... you two.

This media attack on Smith has nothing to do with the fact that he is Jet.

It’s all about the fact, as pointed out in this thread, that at one time after the season, he was being mocked as the #1 pick in the draft.   Almost everyone had him top 10.

After his work outs, which were very good, unfortunately for him, they also included interviews.   At that point his value started to fall thru the floor .  Instead of figuring out what had gone wrong, he decided to challenge the media with a very dumb tweet, about the “so called experts”  and what a great day Thrusday was going to be for him.

When Thursday didn’t turn out so well for him, but did turn out well for the media, he went diva, and threatened to take his ball and go home.   He gave them tons of ammo.

Now we are finding out what he did during the biggest interviews of his life that turned NFL GM’s off. 

Yeah, they are going to beat the hell out of him.  It is going to continue, at least thru camp.  If he doesn’t figure out by next Monday, the day the rookies come back, how to be a humble rookie, the NYC scribes are going to skin him alive, and love it

Yes, this would still be going on if he were drafted by the Bills.  It was the National media he challenged.  It could get very ugly with the NY media who are the worst in the world 

How do you figure that?  Ask chick about about big hands and big feet.

Geno Smith's maturity questioned

Updated: May 3, 2013, 4:51 PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Judging Geno Smith

One week removed from his infamous draft-day slide, New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith has remained in the spotlight for all of the wrong reasons.

Smith's behavior before, during and after the draft has raised questions about his maturity, according to NFL talent evaluators. It also may have cost him money, approximately $3 million a year.

At least one quarterback-needy team in the top 10 passed on him because of the diva attitude he displayed in a pre-draft visit, according to a league source.

He's going to have a tough time in New York. Right now, he's coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat.

” -- NFC scout, speaking on the condition of anonymity

After falling out of the first round, the former West Virginia star threatened to leave the draft and go home. He dropped to the second round and responded by firing his agents, sparking another firestorm of criticism.

"He's going to have a tough time in New York," an NFC scout said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Right now, he's coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat."

Leading into the draft, word spread that Smith was preoccupied with his cell phone during pre-draft visits, texting friends and checking Twitter during meetings with team officials, as first reported by Yahoo! Sports.

In the NFL, a team visit is akin to a job interview. An aloof prospect is a major turnoff.

A league source confirmed the report. In fact, an official from one team -- not a team that visited with Smith -- said the cell-phone episode was mentioned and discussed in its draft room while evaluating Smith.

That same team rated Smith the top quarterback in the draft, but assigned him only a second-round grade.

Initially, the Jets had some doubts about Smith. They met with him at the scouting combine in February and weren't blown away, according to a source.

They gave him the benefit of the doubt, chalking it up to interview fatigue. The combine can be taxing for the top prospects, all of whom are swamped with team interviews, one after another.

The Jets met again with Smith on the eve of his pro-day workout in Morgantown, W. Va., and they came away "raving" about him, a source said. They also flew him to Florham Park, N.J., to meet with him at their facility.

"We've visited him, we went out to dinner with him, we brought him to New York, we went to his pro day, we've watched him play, we've been on his campus," general manager John Idzik said. "So we did our homework on Geno and we got a real good feel for him."

Coincidentally, the team parted ways this week with the scout who did the most homework on Smith -- assistant director of college scouting Michael Davis, whose contract wasn't renewed. West Virginia was one of the schools in his territory.

Jets' Greatest Draft Thefts

From Gastineau to Klecko, we ranked the top 10 Jets draft steals.  Top 10

Smith's bad publicity started before the draft, when Pro Football Weekly trashed him in its annual draft guide. Its scouting report questioned his work ethic and leadership skills, saying "he's not a student of the game ... and doesn't command respect from teammates."

Smith still was regarded as a possible top-10 pick. The Jets passed on him at No. 9, and again at 13, before selecting him with the 39th pick.

He will sign a four-year contract for roughly $4.99 million, the amount of last year's 39th choice, St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins. If he had been in the heart of the top 10, he would be making more than $4 million per year.

The fall, he said, was "hard to stomach." Smith claimed his decision to fire his agents, Erik Burkhardt and Jeff Nalley of the Select Sports Group, wasn't directly related to the plummet. But it sent a bad message to NFL types.

"One of his perceived weaknesses is working through adversity," an AFC personnel executive said after the news broke that Smith was changing agents.

Smith couldn't be reached for comment. He was asked about the criticism the day after he was selected by the Jets. That was before he fired his agents and before information emerged regarding his pre-draft visits.

"My character and my play speaks for itself," he said. "The people who've known me my entire life, and who have coached me, have all come to my defense. As far as that goes, I'm just looking towards the future and really not worrying about the past."

Smith received a playbook immediately after being picked and he will return May 10 for the team's rookie minicamp, where the spotlight will be focused on him. He's in a five-way competition for the starting job, with the incumbent -- the embattled Mark Sanchez -- basically saying he won't let a rookie take his job.

"I'll help him out as much as I can," Sanchez said. "But when we have to compete, we have to compete. That's the way it goes."

Look at Pac neg repping me because he bit on your flaccid worm, when I didn't. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA... you two.

You are absurd... Geno rubs people the wrong way, gets plenty of neg press prior to the Jets drafting him, yet you somehow are confinced it's a Jets thing. Must be nice to live in your world

Archived