Cimini: Idzik's First Two Blemishes

flgreen

cimini is not surrounded by any weapons; we cant evaluate his performance until he is paired with 1st round editor and researchers

I'd say he's been properly evaluated. He hasn't really seen a promotion in 20 years and he'll still be a miserable beat writer for a team he seems to hate passionately in another 20.years.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say he's been properly evaluated. He hasn't really seen a promotion in 20 years and he'll still be a miserable beat writer for a team he seems to hate passionately in another 20.years.

:) can you imagine going through life hating what you do that much? 

The media didn't fire Smith's agents; he did that by himself, triggering negative publicity.

He fired his agents. So? Has anyone even bothered explaining why this is such a big deal yet? There were some rumors that he did it because he fell out of the 1st round, with the implication being that doing so was, somehow... wrong.

We don't know why he did it. He specifically denied that this was the reason, but OK, let's go ahead and assume that is the reason. Still, so what? I don't see why it would be a big deal at all, considering that his salary dropped big time because he didn't go in the 1st. If your agent kept telling you that they would get you drafted in the 1st but they didn't, why the hell would that not be a reasonable ground to fire them? What could an agent do that would be worse than that, really? We don't even know any of the background stuff.

Perhaps he wanted to attend the Senior Bowl, but his agents told him not to... and perhaps he's holding them responsible for that decision. Sure my theory is just utter conjecture but so is every other bloody thing that has been said about this situation.

He has Sanchez who nobody wants and no fan wants to see on the field.   And they have Smith who fell to them because nobody seemed to have as much faith in any of these college QBs this year.  Most people assume Smith should sit a year.   Most people want Sanchez cut.   The only reason he's even on the roster is because of that stupid contract.  What happens if Sanchez wins the starting job and winds up with 4 picks against the Bucs, the Jets lose 31-3 and Smith just isn't ready to be an NFL QB.  So no, Idzik didn't exactly cover his tracks when it came to QB.    

What Idzik did this offseason is hope a bunch of injury prone backups work out.  Maybe they will, maybe they won't.  Garrard was a guy a lot of people thought wouldn't make it through preseason.  He just jumped the gun by a month or two.   But that's on Idzik, not on anybody else. He signed a guy that hasn't played in two seasons.  A month ago half the Jets board was counting on Garrard being the starting QB.  I imagine the Jets wanted him to be the starting QB.   Instead they are stuck with Sanchez and a 2nd round rookie QB.     

The RB situations is another one of those hope this guy doesn't get hurt.  A lot of people want McKnight cut, they don't think much of Powell. So it was Ivory and Goodson. Goodson was a never was and Ivory is a guy who never stayed healthy and never played.    

To me, Idziks free agent signings are all about hope and cheapness more than talent.   If guys like Ivory wind up gaining 1000 yards it would be great.  But if Ivory misses half the season or just can't carry more than 10 times a game,  most people wouldn't be shocked.   Those kinds of moves are just cheap.  And hope.  So far his first two signings have been terrible regardless of money.    Garrard was supposed to at least put Sanchez on the bench.  Now we all hope Smith is ready and can beat out Sanchez.   That's not exactly what anybody hoped for.

Right. So Sanchez sucks and has a ridiculous contract and that's Idziks fault. Because he drafted him and extended him, right? And drafting Geno was a bad idea because...well you give absolutely no reason. How can you deny having the top rated qb in the 2013 draft is a good thing in this situation? With Gerard gone, it's a great move by idzik. And he got him in the 2nd! So he signed cheap, injury prone vets. Ask yourself why? Because everyone here knows idzik wasn't signing anyone expensive. we had one of the worst cap situations in the league this offseason. Again, a legacy handed down from Tanny. So I'm confused. What is it that idzik did that's so awful?

I know before we started signing our FA's there was a couple of contract restructures...can anyone tell me the dollar amount we had avail before signing any FA's?

Roughly at least, I dont recall.

He fired his agents. So? Has anyone even bothered explaining why this is such a big deal yet? There were some rumors that he did it because he fell out of the 1st round, with the implication being that doing so was, somehow... wrong.

We don't know why he did it. He specifically denied that this was the reason, but OK, let's go ahead and assume that is the reason. Still, so what? I don't see why it would be a big deal at all, considering that his salary dropped big time because he didn't go in the 1st. If your agent kept telling you that they would get you drafted in the 1st but they didn't, why the hell would that not be a reasonable ground to fire them? What could an agent do that would be worse than that, really? We don't even know any of the background stuff.

Perhaps he wanted to attend the Senior Bowl, but his agents told him not to... and perhaps he's holding them responsible for that decision. Sure my theory is just utter conjecture but so is every other bloody thing that has been said about this situation.

most agents are vermin, and should be fired regularly

Paragraph 4, on Sanchez in comparison to Brees:

"Sometimes athletes need to see the end before they can create a new beginning. Can Sanchez capitalize on his break (Garrard's retirement) in

the same fashion? Food for thought."

Paragraph 5 on Geno Smith:

"Not every rookie turns into Russell Wilson, you know."

Three rookies turned into Russel Wilson last year, actually. How many horrible, horrible 5th year starting QB's have turned into Drew Brees?

well the Jets dont have a 90 catch TE and a 1500 yard dual threat RB so it does not look like its happening here.

cimini is not surrounded by any weapons; we cant evaluate his performance until he is paired with 1st round editor and researchers

LOL!

Cimini a system writer.  The Daily News carried him and now ESPN.  Those organizations would have won without him.

You can't build a sports outlet around Cimini.

Three rookies turned into Russel Wilson last year, actually. How many horrible, horrible 5th year starting QB's have turned into Drew Brees

What 3 rookies turned into Wilson if ur talking about luck and griffin. Wilson turned into them. Those 2 were considered. 1 A. 1 B. for the draft!

The knock on Wilson was just his height mostly

Three rookies turned into Russel Wilson last year, actually. How many horrible, horrible 5th year starting QB's have turned into Drew Brees

What 3 rookies turned into Wilson if ur talking about luck and griffin. Wilson turned into them. Those 2 were considered. 1 A. 1 B. for the draft!

Between Wilson, Colin K and Kirk Cousins, quite a few 2nd day QB's making their mark lately.

Oh, I get it.

But for the record, Geno Smith was considered 1A, for this draft. The rest of the class of QBs was considered 1letstakeashotinthethirdorfourthroundandseewhathappens

Between Wilson, Colin K and Kirk Cousins, quite a few 2nd day QB's making their mark lately.

Kirk Cousins played a couple of games.  Lets not make him out to be some roy candidate.   Even Sanchez has had a couple of good games in his career. 

Colin was somebody the 49ers thought was going to be good.   Harbaugh made that gamble and it paid off.  But remember he sat for the first year and he was going to sit his second year if alex smith didn't get injured.    And people considered Alex Smith far more of a bust than Sanchez.       

Kirk Cousins played a couple of games.  Lets not make him out to be some roy candidate.   Even Sanchez has had a couple of good games in his career. 

Colin was somebody the 49ers thought was going to be good.   Harbaugh made that gamble and it paid off.  But remember he sat for the first year and he was going to sit his second year if alex smith didn't get injured.    And people considered Alex Smith far more of a bust than Sanchez.       

What people are these?  Outside of Smith being the #1 pick and Sanchez getting carried to success by those early Jets' teams, I can't see any reason to think that.  In half as many seasons, Sanchez has thrown 6 more INTs and lost 1 more fumble than Smith in their respective careers.  Not to mention Smith's career comp % is better by 4.2%.  Keep in mind, I don't even think Smith is anything more than mediocre, but he's still worlds better than Sanchez's sorry ass.  The point being, just because Harbaugh decided Smith was a better option than Kaepernick in his rookie year, doesn't say anything about Sanchez vs Geno.  Hell, Sanchez is so bad that even if Geno isn't ready you might as well go with McElroy or Simms.

no worries. by the time they get sancioned, carroll should be clear to go back to ncaa.

LOL!

Cimini a system writer.  The Daily News carried him and now ESPN.  Those organizations would have won without him.

You can't build a sports outlet around Cimini.

:happy0071:

and yet they stubbornly stick to a print-first strategy when the entire industry is adopting a more wide open west coast infotainment approach

Archived