Rex...after coaching ~ ~ ~

kelly

The fact that Rex Ryan is garnering ESPN coverage in July shows he's made for TV.

Wherever he is headed, Rex Ryan isn’t going quietly.

On a steamy July Tuesday, there was a bug-eyed Ryan on the front page of the Daily News, running (sort of) with the bulls in Spain.

The following night on ESPN’s “SportsCenter,” in the middle of baseball season and NBA free agency, the focus again was on Ryan. All this attention for the lamest of ducks with a team destined to reside on the NFL’s version of Skid Row.

So? That’s not why ESPN did this lengthy feature on the “Best of Rex,” which only included highlights of him delivering one-liners to boss scribes. Think about this. ESPN is dedicating all this time to Ryan — in early July.

And not even one shot of him on prowling the sideline. When anchor John Anderson asked Herman Edwards if he thought “a coach should be out there running with the bulls” it wasn’t hard to figure why Rex was running. “That’s Rex. He’s out there having fun,” Edwards said. “He has a personality.”

Right. A big one. Edwards, and the rest of these high-profile NFL TV analysts, better keep both eyes on him. For none of them, not one, can bring it the way Ryan does. They better hope the Jets somehow have the kind of season that would inspire John Idzik to bring Ryan back in 2015. Or that Ryan gets another coaching job.

If the big man lands on the beach after this season he will be hired for one of these studio shows — unless the decision-makers aren’t thinking straight.

Unless they are satisfied with the sleep-inducing drivel leaving the mouths of some of these former players and coaches who they overpay to take up space on “Fox’s NFL Sunday,” ESPN’s “Sunday Countdown,” CBS’ “The NFL Today” NFL Network’s “GameDay” or NBC’s “Football Night In America.”

We are not suggesting Ryan’s “run” was calculated for publicity purposes. It really doesn’t matter why it went down. All the attention revealed another side of Ryan. He’s not backing down, hiding in a dark room watching video in some cosmetic effort to save his gig. He’s taking his kind of vacation, which turns into national news.

And the best part of this is how it infuriated some of the local media, especially those who long ago bestowed sainthood on the Giants organization. You could hear it throughout the Valley of the Stupid: “Tom Coughlin would never do that.” No, Coughlin has better things to do. Like trying to figure out a way to prevent another second-half collapse. Good for him.

He’s not made for TV.

Rex Ryan is.

> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/raissman-rex-bull-stunt-shows-run-networks-article-1.1398065

We're going to find out what his future hold after this year. 

At absolute minimum, Rex will be the most hotly sought after DC candidate this coming offseason.  I doubt even his biggest haters as a HC would disagree with that.  Hell, his brother can get job after job and there's no question Rex has the far superior track record of the two.

That's of course assuming he doesn't do enough to stick with the Jets (hey, you never know) or have another team willing to give him a shot as HC, and it's not like we haven't seen worse HC's than him get second chances with another team before.

At absolute minimum, Rex will be the most hotly sought after DC candidate this coming offseason.  I doubt even his biggest haters as a HC would disagree with that.  Hell, his brother can get job after job and there's no question Rex has the far superior track record of the two.

That's of course assuming he doesn't do enough to stick with the Jets (hey, you never know) or have another team willing to give him a shot as HC, and it's not like we haven't seen worse HC's than him get second chances with another team before.

You're right. He is going to the patriots. Book it. 

The fact that Rex Ryan is garnering ESPN coverage in July shows he's made for TV.

Wherever he is headed, Rex Ryan isn’t going quietly.

On a steamy July Tuesday, there was a bug-eyed Ryan on the front page of the Daily News, running (sort of) with the bulls in Spain.

The following night on ESPN’s “SportsCenter,” in the middle of baseball season and NBA free agency, the focus again was on Ryan. All this attention for the lamest of ducks with a team destined to reside on the NFL’s version of Skid Row.

So? That’s not why ESPN did this lengthy feature on the “Best of Rex,” which only included highlights of him delivering one-liners to boss scribes. Think about this. ESPN is dedicating all this time to Ryan — in early July.

And not even one shot of him on prowling the sideline. When anchor John Anderson asked Herman Edwards if he thought “a coach should be out there running with the bulls” it wasn’t hard to figure why Rex was running. “That’s Rex. He’s out there having fun,” Edwards said. “He has a personality.”

Right. A big one. Edwards, and the rest of these high-profile NFL TV analysts, better keep both eyes on him. For none of them, not one, can bring it the way Ryan does. They better hope the Jets somehow have the kind of season that would inspire John Idzik to bring Ryan back in 2015. Or that Ryan gets another coaching job.

If the big man lands on the beach after this season he will be hired for one of these studio shows — unless the decision-makers aren’t thinking straight.

Unless they are satisfied with the sleep-inducing drivel leaving the mouths of some of these former players and coaches who they overpay to take up space on “Fox’s NFL Sunday,” ESPN’s “Sunday Countdown,” CBS’ “The NFL Today” NFL Network’s “GameDay” or NBC’s “Football Night In America.”

We are not suggesting Ryan’s “run” was calculated for publicity purposes. It really doesn’t matter why it went down. All the attention revealed another side of Ryan. He’s not backing down, hiding in a dark room watching video in some cosmetic effort to save his gig. He’s taking his kind of vacation, which turns into national news.

And the best part of this is how it infuriated some of the local media, especially those who long ago bestowed sainthood on the Giants organization. You could hear it throughout the Valley of the Stupid: “Tom Coughlin would never do that.” No, Coughlin has better things to do. Like trying to figure out a way to prevent another second-half collapse. Good for him.

He’s not made for TV.

Rex Ryan is.

> http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/raissman-rex-bull-stunt-shows-run-networks-article-1.1398065

Good point.  Rex would be entertaining, controversial and probably attract people to watch whatever show he was on.  The sad thing is that he probably would eventually cross the line, say something too stupid and controversial and get canned for that.

True.  I'd be somewhat surprised if he immediately got another HC opportunity, but not that surprised.  I would imagine that teams with strong HCs and perhaps questionable defenses, would potentially be lining up for Rex's services as DC.

As a defensive coach  he will always have opportunities . with the brotherhood in the NFL I would not be shocked if he got another head coaching job if he gets let go by the Jets.

Gus Bradley, Doug Marrone, Marc Trestman, Rob Chudzinski, Bruce Arians, Mike McCoy and Chip Kelly all got first time HC'ing gigs in the NFL this season.  

Me thinks Rex Ryan probably would have got another HC'ing gig if the Jets sh*t canned him after his 1st losing season last year.  You never know what the NFL year can bring and you never know who will be looking for a job next season, but I'm confident Rex would be the #1 DC on the market and probably most likely very high on the list of HC's as well. 

Posters who talk up Rex and his record with the Jets do have the numbers on their side no doubt about it. Only problem is Rex's mouth, that's what has hurt him with the Jets, not his record.

At some point you would think the guy would just STFU because its beginning to take a toll on his career but he just keeps on blabbering/

When or if the guy does get fired he will certainly land a DC job and he will almost certainly land in a gag order situation by what ever team decides to sign him and yes he will probably be an above average DC

Posters who talk up Rex and his record with the Jets do have the numbers on their side no doubt about it. Only problem is Rex's mouth, that's what has hurt him with the Jets, not his record.

At some point you would think the guy would just STFU because its beginning to take a toll on his career but he just keeps on blabbering/

When or if the guy does get fired he will certainly land a DC job and he will almost certainly land in a gag order situation by what ever team decides to sign him and yes he will probably be an above average DC

I don't disagree with this. 

9-7, 11-5, 8-8, 6-10, sub-7-9 is a trend. He's exceedingly fireable. Billick and Fassel went to Super Bowls and got fired.

Where Are They Now?

February 15, 2014

(AP) - It's been a year since the Jets fired Rex Ryan following yet another disastrous season in which he stuck with Mark Sanchez as the starter again in spite of impressive preseason and practice play by Geno Smith, and OC Marty Mornhinweg's begging and crying for him to start Geno, and thus he lost the lockerroom yet again.  To make matters worse, the team finished 2-14 winning the last two games on gadget plays by Geno Smith, thus knocking them out of the Jadaveon Clowney sweepstakes.  We wondered where Rex was and what he was doing since he was not offered another job in the NFL, college, or at any level of football.  When asked why he wasn't considered for numerous HC and DC opportunities, Rex was clueless.  We contacted the owners of the various teams with vacancies but they all responded "No comment" and laughed outrageously.

Well, after some searching, we found that Rex was running a shop in Tiajuana called "Rex's Tattoos and Foot Massage Parlor."  Rex has turned into quite the tattoo artist and his wife is getting paid by men to receive "foot massages." When asked how he was adapting to life away from football, he responded, "Oh it's been great!  I realized that I was never really happy in the NFL anyway.  If they could just do away with offenses, I would have been very happy, but having to deal with offenses was just too boring and overwhelming.  I'm very happy now.  Besides, now I can sell autographed pictures and tatoos of my buddies Mark and Darrelle."

Jets are going 9-7 this year. Will win a wild card spot. Will win wild card round of the playoffs, and lose in the divisional round. Rex will be signed to a 4 year extension. Sanchez will be cut after Geno wins the job in the 3rd week of the pre season. Bank!

Jets are going 9-7 this year. Will win a wild card spot. Will win wild card round of the playoffs, and lose in the divisional round. Rex will be signed to a 4 year extension. Sanchez will be cut after Geno wins the job in the 3rd week of the pre season. Bank!

The bank just called, they are foreclosing your loan.

9-7, 11-5, 8-8, 6-10, sub-7-9 is a trend. He's exceedingly fireable. Billick and Fassel went to Super Bowls and got fired.

yes but as a DC he should succeed since he will not have as much of a say in personnel. I think besides the loud mouth he has issues with personnel decisions. When he came to the Jets we had a pretty talented team with solid players on defense, Rex needed to build an offense and we very well could have won a SB. The decisions made personnel wise on this football team in year three were so bad its what basically turned this football team into a circus.

The bank just called, they are foreclosing your loan.

Jacked I'm not sure how you see 9 wins out of this football team. Even if the defense plays well how exactly do we move the football ? Depending on often injured players to carry a load is not usually a good bet in the NFL.... In a perfect world Ivory stays healthy, Winslow stays healthy, Holmes gets healthy and keeps his mouth shut, Goodson avoids Jail time and Hill learns to catch.... even with all that, our QB still has to learn to throw and the rookie we signed needs to learn how to play in an offense he has no experience in at all and is not even comfortable taking snaps. If you expect all this to go right we are still only lucky to be mediocre at best . Now look at our depth on offense, oh that's right there is none

Jacked I'm not sure how you see 9 wins out of this football team. Even if the defense plays well how exactly do we move the football ? Depending on often injured players to carry a load is not usually a good bet in the NFL.... In a perfect world Ivory stays healthy, Winslow stays healthy, Holmes gets healthy and keeps his mouth shut, Goodson avoids Jail time and Hill learns to catch.... even with all that, our QB still has to learn to throw and the rookie we signed needs to learn how to play in an offense he has no experience in at all and is not even comfortable taking snaps. If you expect all this to go right we are still only lucky to be mediocre at best . Now look at our depth on offense, oh that's right there is none

Dude.  

We just need a physical or emotional crisis to affect the team at just the right time.  I'm thinking, maybe a player gets luekemia, then gets into a horrific DUI accident, killing a teammate...then maybe shoots himself in our parking lot the day before a big game.  We're talking decals on helmets, initial patches on jerseys,  stadium-wide prayer circles, and close-ups of teary eyed TD celebrations pointing to heaven.  

Opposing teams would be dicks to NOT let us win.  Forget moving the football; Lets move their emotions. 

Bank? I'm going to go out a limb and say your bank will need a bailout by seasons end.

• 6 months later...

JETS in 2014:

With GENO: 7-9

With VICK: 10-6

With McCown: 9-7

With Henne: 8-8

With Kolb: 9-7

With Bridgewater: 9-7

With Manziel: 10-6

With Sanchez: 4-12

Book it.

Did you all see who got hired as head coaches this year? LOLz. Rex would have gotten a head coaching gig in an instant.

Really? I thought he was quite restrained last year.

Did you all see who got hired as head coaches this year? LOLz. Rex would have gotten a head coaching gig in an instant.

Only two defensive coaches got head coaching gigs. Lovie was destined for the Bucs and Zimmer was long overdue for a shot. Other than that, all offensive guys. If Rex were fired, he would have been someone's DC.

Mike Pettine got a head coaching job.

If Rex is let go by the Jets, he lands somewhere else as a head coach.  If not he goes to TV for a year or two until something opens up.  I don't see Rex ever being a coordinator in the NFL again.

Archived