Cimini Sunday Notes: Bucs acquire intel on Jets

flgreen

Sunday notes: Bucs acquire intel on Jets

July, 21, 2013

Jul 21

8:51

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Back after missing a month of Sundays. Some pre-training camp notes to whet the appetite:

1. Great Scott: This barely registered a blip on the radar screen, but the Bucs made an interesting move by hiring former Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen this week. His title is senior personnel advisor, a newly created position. It just so happens the Jets and Bucs are Week 1 opponents, their first meeting since 2009. Now Greg Schiano & Co. have someone on their side with intimate knowledge of the Jets' roster. Cohen was Mike Tannenbaum's right-hand man for five years and he was around long enough under John Idzik to gather intel on Idzik's player acquisitions. Cohen was fired after the draft. Obviously, the Bucs didn't hire Cohen to help with only one game -- above all, he's an experienced football man -- but his presence undoubtedly will be a help. Teams are always searching for 411 against non-divisional foes.

2. Jets South: WRs Stephen Hill and Vidal Hazelton went from Mark Sanchez's annual "Jets West" camp in Southern California to South Florida, where they worked out with Geno Smith. You can't accuse Hill and Hazelton of picking a favorite in the anticipated quarterback battle. All the chatter about about Smith skipping "Jets West" will be an old story after the first round of reporters' questions in Cortland. The real stuff starts now.

3. What might have been: Imagine the pre-camp conversation if David Garrard still was on the team. Sanchez's roster spot wouldn't be secure, that's for sure. The hierarchy felt Garrard would've had a legitimate chance to win the starting job, I'm told, and it didn't consider Sanchez's contract untradable. Now that would've been a multi-layered competition.

4. Homeward bound: The Jets are part of a dying breed in the NFL -- teams that pack up and leave town for training camp. The number has dwindled to 13 teams. Frankly, training camp isn't what it used to be, not with the elimination of two-a-day practices. This is the final year of the Jets' contract with SUNY-Cortland. I suspect they will stay home next summer in Florham Park -- Woody Johnson's original intention -- although I know they will get strong pitches from schools that covet the Jets for camp.

5. Woody owes: Forbes magazine released its annual list of the most valuable sports franchises in the world, and the Jets finished 14th overall (sixth in the NFL) at $1.284 billion. Ah, but take a closer look, as that number is deceiving. According to Forbes, the Jets have the most debt in the league -- a debt/value ratio of 58 percent. The Giants are a distant second at 44 percent. Maybe this explains why Johnson has curtailed his spending the last couple of years.

6. Big Dee: He was overshadowed in the offseason because he rehabbed his surgically repaired shoulder, but first-round CB Dee Milliner will be a big part of the Jets' puzzle in 2013. If he can secure a starting job and play well, it'll allow Rex Ryan to play more aggressively with his pressure schemes. Milliner is thinking big. "There are goals I would like to achieve, such as being Defensive Rookie of the Year and making the Pro Bowl," he told his hometown Alabama newspaper, The Times Daily. Note to Milliner: Get ready for another wave of Darrelle Revis-related questions.

7. Close to Hernandez: With the 112th pick in the 2010 draft, the Jets selected RB/KR Joe McKnight. With the next pick, the Patriots chose TE Aaron Hernandez. Someone in my last on-line chat session wondered if Hernandez was a serious consideration for the Jets. I don't think so. They were on the verge of trading Leon Washington and they targeted McKnight as his replacement. What's more, Dustin Keller was entering his third year, and tight end wasn't a priority. But just imagine if ...

8. Guinea pigs: The Jets are one of eight teams participating in an NFL pilot program that will allow doctors and trainers to access medical records on the sideline. If a player gets hurt, his entire history -- including baseline concussion tests -- will be available on an iPad. If the pilot program is deemed a success, it could be used by the entire league in 2014, according to USA Today. Players' records will follow them as they switch teams. One potential problem: Players may feel it could hurt their market value, with other teams having intimate knowledge of every bump and bruise.

9. GMum: Idzik has been on the job for only six months, but we already know he's not a camera hog. He's anything but. Idzik, who last spoke to the media in mid-June at minicamp, declined interviews leading into training camp. The media (and, by extension, the fans) would like to hear his thoughts on the eve of his first camp, but the only sound coming from One Jets Drive is crickets. Evidently, Idzik is taking a speak-softly-but-carry-a-big-stick mentality into this gig. He's expected to address reporters on the first day of camp.

10. Stating the obvious: So Ryan says the current quarterback situation is better than 2009, his first season as coach. It would've been real news if he said it wasn't.

July, 21, 2013

Jul 21

8:51

AM ET

Back after missing a month of Sundays. Some pre-training camp notes to whet the appetite:

1. Great Scott: This barely registered a blip on the radar screen, but the Bucs made an interesting move by hiring former Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen this week. His title is senior personnel advisor, a newly created position. It just so happens the Jets and Bucs are Week 1 opponents, their first meeting since 2009. Now Greg Schiano & Co. have someone on their side with intimate knowledge of the Jets' roster. Cohen was Mike Tannenbaum's right-hand man for five years and he was around long enough under John Idzik to gather intel on Idzik's player acquisitions. Cohen was fired after the draft. Obviously, the Bucs didn't hire Cohen to help with only one game -- above all, he's an experienced football man -- but his presence undoubtedly will be a help. Teams are always searching for 411 against non-divisional foes.

2. Jets South: WRs Stephen Hill and Vidal Hazelton went from Mark Sanchez's annual "Jets West" camp in Southern California to South Florida, where they worked out with Geno Smith. You can't accuse Hill and Hazelton of picking a favorite in the anticipated quarterback battle. All the chatter about about Smith skipping "Jets West" will be an old story after the first round of reporters' questions in Cortland. The real stuff starts now.

3. What might have been: Imagine the pre-camp conversation if David Garrard still was on the team. Sanchez's roster spot wouldn't be secure, that's for sure. The hierarchy felt Garrard would've had a legitimate chance to win the starting job, I'm told, and it didn't consider Sanchez's contract untradable. Now that would've been a multi-layered competition.

4. Homeward bound: The Jets are part of a dying breed in the NFL -- teams that pack up and leave town for training camp. The number has dwindled to 13 teams. Frankly, training camp isn't what it used to be, not with the elimination of two-a-day practices. This is the final year of the Jets' contract with SUNY-Cortland. I suspect they will stay home next summer in Florham Park -- Woody Johnson's original intention -- although I know they will get strong pitches from schools that covet the Jets for camp.

5. Woody owes: Forbes magazine released its annual list of the most valuable sports franchises in the world, and the Jets finished 14th overall (sixth in the NFL) at $1.284 billion. Ah, but take a closer look, as that number is deceiving. According to Forbes, the Jets have the most debt in the league -- a debt/value ratio of 58 percent. The Giants are a distant second at 44 percent. Maybe this explains why Johnson has curtailed his spending the last couple of years.

6. Big Dee: He was overshadowed in the offseason because he rehabbed his surgically repaired shoulder, but first-round CB Dee Milliner will be a big part of the Jets' puzzle in 2013. If he can secure a starting job and play well, it'll allow Rex Ryan to play more aggressively with his pressure schemes. Milliner is thinking big. "There are goals I would like to achieve, such as being Defensive Rookie of the Year and making the Pro Bowl," he told his hometown Alabama newspaper, The Times Daily. Note to Milliner: Get ready for another wave of Darrelle Revis-related questions.

7. Close to Hernandez: With the 112th pick in the 2010 draft, the Jets selected RB/KR Joe McKnight. With the next pick, the Patriots chose TE Aaron Hernandez. Someone in my last on-line chat session wondered if Hernandez was a serious consideration for the Jets. I don't think so. They were on the verge of trading Leon Washington and they targeted McKnight as his replacement. What's more, Dustin Keller was entering his third year, and tight end wasn't a priority. But just imagine if ...

8. Guinea pigs: The Jets are one of eight teams participating in an NFL pilot program that will allow doctors and trainers to access medical records on the sideline. If a player gets hurt, his entire history -- including baseline concussion tests -- will be available on an iPad. If the pilot program is deemed a success, it could be used by the entire league in 2014, according to USA Today. Players' records will follow them as they switch teams. One potential problem: Players may feel it could hurt their market value, with other teams having intimate knowledge of every bump and bruise.

9. GMum: Idzik has been on the job for only six months, but we already know he's not a camera hog. He's anything but. Idzik, who last spoke to the media in mid-June at minicamp, declined interviews leading into training camp. The media (and, by extension, the fans) would like to hear his thoughts on the eve of his first camp, but the only sound coming from One Jets Drive is crickets. Evidently, Idzik is taking a speak-softly-but-carry-a-big-stick mentality into this gig. He's expected to address reporters on the first day of camp.

10. Stating the obvious: So Ryan says the current quarterback situation is better than 2009, his first season as coach. It would've been real news if he said it wasn't.

but but but woody doesnt spend!

July, 21, 2013

I'm pretty sure Cohen was available to the Jets if they had any desire to retain him.  The Jets just purged themselves of one their front office, and you don't do that if they've been doing a good job of late.  Mark this up to someone wanting the things we throw in the garbage. It's only newsworthy because someone's taking something (the employment of an individual) the Jets had.  Therefore it de facto becomes one of the only things the Jets had that was of value and now they've [stupidly] lost it to someone else.

If this guy hates the Jets so much, why does he bother covering them?  There are other teams in other cities, and there are other teams & other sports in this city.  Why take a job ripping (instead of reporting) on your hometown team?

Duh.  It was only Jets beat reporters (like Cimini) who were making anything of it in the first place.  IMO Smith would have been foolish to have attended.  Without knowing today if he's going to be any better than Kellen Clemens, Smith did the right thing and this will have zero impact on his career or on this season.

Yeah, not untradable if we agree to absorb at least 80% of it, and probably in exchange for only conditional compensation (which would only kick in due to starter injury).  For a contender with extra cap room, where Sanchez has no baggage/history or locker room divide, getting a backup QB with playoff experience is worth $2M for 1 year.

I read this a second time because it wasn't obvious to me, at first, where the swipe at the Jets (team or coaches or FO or ownership) was.  This one's on Woody, who has the gall to want to see people using the training camp he more than doubly-outspent anyone else in the country in building.  The nerve.

In recent years the Jets just handed Mark Sanchez another $20M guaranteed money.  In recent years, also, the Jets were also up against the cap, which is part of the reason for Sanchez's extension (to clear cap room in 2012).  You don't get up against the cap unless you're spending money.  How many new contracts is an already massively-top-heavy team supposed to add? There is a salary cap and the Jets were pressed up against it.  Oh yeah, and then there was that other thing:  under the prior CBA the Jets were prohibited from adding any new FAs more expensive than the ones they let go of.  So that's why, in 2010, our big splash was adding Jason Taylor (and we had to let our kicker go just to get him).  If the Jets were like the Bucs had been for so many years, where they have tens of millions of cap room just sitting around and ever-being pushed to next year, then you could make that argument.  But Tannenbaum always went out and got the most expensive players he could and Woody was always willing to write the check.

So just because they didn't sign any new players to massive contracts doesn't mean Woody was watching his wallet and directing Tannenbaum & Idzik to stop spending money on players.  There has never been any evidence of that.  And as for this year, by the time the Jets were comfortably under the cap (keep in mind they had to set aside room for whatever might happen with Revis, up to the day he was traded), most of the players hitting FA were gone and the draft was days away.  What team, with needs all over, spends just to spend in the days leading up to the draft (and thereby forcing them to reach at "need" positions instead of who they liked best)?  This team was going nowhere this year, and Idzik seems to have smartly known this.  So he put together enough to field a team, but you don't sign high-priced players before your first rebuilding draft unless you're just stupid and are spending money purely to make headlines.  

Add Cimini to the list of people who don't know the difference between causation and correlation.  

Read:  Milliner, you have been warned.  I, Rich Cimini, will ask you Revis-related questions all through camp (and all through the season if/when you beat out Wilson for the starting job).  You have nothing to do with Revis, since the Jets traded him away before they even knew you'd be available to them.  But I'll harp on it all the time with you anyway.  Just to be a dick.  It's what I do.  That's my thing.

This makes it sound like 'when the Jets' 112th came up, they selected McKnight.'  Except the Jets didn't have the 112th pick; they traded up to #112 and took McKnight there.  Doesn't take any great deal of detective work to know the Jets coveted McKnight since they specifically traded up to that spot to draft this one player after the 111th pick was off the board.  I'm waiting for the first time I hear a story say that a team traded up to the current pick in the draft so they would have the option of drafting a few different players.  You're trading up now to grab a specific guy now.  So obviously they just wanted McKnight.  As though the Jets would trade up for Hernandez in '10 after Keller (who they traded up into the first round to get in '08) just had his first season as the regular starter.

Who would even ask this question when the answer is so obvious? 

Someone trying to link the Jets to a disgraced player they had nothing to do with, never expressed any interest in, and who they passed on in the draft even when this first round talent was sitting right there.  

Why would anyone ask "what if" it was the Jets who drafted Hernandez?

No one would, unless that person has a desire to write scathing things about the Jets, and sees the Jets passing on Hernandez as some type of missed opportunity.  Cimini just made it obvious with that "But just imagine if..." line.  

What a miserable, miserable douchebag.  He is no journalist; he's a f*cking child.

All the chatter about about Smith skipping "Jets West" will be an old story after the first round of reporters' questions in Cortland.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/24263/geno-finally-addresses-jets-west

Eat sh*t and die.

7. Close to Hernandez: With the 112th pick in the 2010 draft, the Jets selected RB/KR Joe McKnight. With the next pick, the Patriots chose TE Aaron Hernandez. Someone in my last on-line chat session wondered if Hernandez was a serious consideration for the Jets. I don't think so. They were on the verge of trading Leon Washington and they targeted McKnight as his replacement. What's more, Dustin Keller was entering his third year, and tight end wasn't a priority. But just imagine if...

This is the Ciminiest paragraph that ever Ciminied.

When you stop and think about it, the Jets essentially murdered Odin Lloyd.

Exactly

if the Jets had taken Hernandez Odin Lloyd would be alive today. The other guy would probably still have his eye.

Of course there would probably be a few more bodies spending time with Hoffa in the swamp behind the Meadowlands

With my son at school right across the street, I am rooting for this to be true.  The level of coverage we can provide from camp would be incredible if they were in NJ.

Of course we would provide this coverage from the stands, since the Jets still refuse to return our calls.  :)

If this guy hates the Jets so much, why does he bother covering them.  There are other teams in other cities, and there are other teams & other sports in this city.  Why take a job ripping (instead of reporting) on your hometown team?

What a miserable, miserable douchebag.  He is no journalist; he's a f*cking child.

He actually answered a question in his latest chat this week...let me grab it so you can laugh at his response.

Here you go:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/newyork/chat/_/id/48510

Mr.Q (Long Island)

Rich, do you honestly want the Jets to win? Or do you love bashing the Jets more?

Rich Cimini
  (1:32 PM)

I have no control over the results, so I don't root either way. Contrary to popular belief, I don't love bashing the Jets. My job is to report the facts and, when called upon, share my opinions.

Rich Cimini

I have no control over the results, so I don't root either way. Contrary to popular belief, I don't love bashing the Jets. My job is to report the facts and, when called upon, share my opinions.

He missed the "If no facts are available just make them up". The guys a Douche, second only to Mike Francesa,

I think some one should phone him every week and as him the same question over and over. He may get the message.

Rich Cimini

He missed the "If no facts are available just make them up". The guys a Douche, second only to Mike Francesa,

I think some one should phone him every week and as him the same question over and over. He may get the message.

Better yet, everyone write and call ESPN and tell them you aren't watching their crap any more because of their anti-Jets bias and Cimini's being a hack.  Tell them that unless they fire him you're gonna start writing and calling their sponsors urging them to drop ESPN.

Better yet, everyone write and call ESPN and tell them you aren't watching their crap any more because of their anti-Jets bias and Cimini's being a hack. Tell them that unless they fire him you're gonna start writing and calling their sponsors urging them to drop ESPN.

And then you can write Outback Steakhouse to complain about the fat content of their Bloomin' Onion.

Dear Woody,

Please SELL THE TEAM!!!!

The "But just imagine if" line re: Hernandez is the most glaring example of someone whose personal goal is not to report what happened to the Jets, but rather to write negative things about the Jets.  There is nobody who today imagines "what if the Jets drafted Hernandez" except someone who likes bad things happen to the Jets.  The tone of it more than suggests that, as I mentioned in my prior post, he feels a sense of "missed opportunity" for him to rip on the Jets for drafting a murderer.  

He imagines it because he is imagining the pleasure of the lousy things he'd write about the Jets.  (Correction: he's imagining the pleasure of the additional lousy things he'd write about the Jets.)

Again, he is not a journalist.  He is a f*cking insecure child and, as his unprofessional tweets directed at Jane McManus (who also works for his employer, ESPN) show, he's a real first class a-hole with serious personal issues.  

What's the term called when one tries to elevate oneself solely by putting down those around him? Whatever it is, that's what Cimini's got in spades, and he clearly takes pleasure in it as well.  

What a dick.  

I think he was not fired the same way Schitty wasn't fired.  The Jets were done with him either way, so they just gave him the opportunity to save face and leave quietly.

That's what I thought... those details don't fit Cimini's narrative though. 

The "But just imagine if" line re: Hernandez is the most glaring example of someone whose personal goal is not to report what happened to the Jets, but rather to write negative things about the Jets.  There is nobody who today imagines "what if the Jets drafted Hernandez" except someone who likes bad things happen to the Jets.  The tone of it more than suggests that, as I mentioned in my prior post, he feels a sense of "missed opportunity" for him to rip on the Jets for drafting a murderer.  

He imagines it because he is imagining the pleasure of the lousy things he'd write about the Jets.  (Correction: he's imagining the pleasure of the additional lousy things he'd write about the Jets.)

Again, he is not a journalist.  He is a f*cking insecure child and, as his unprofessional tweets directed at Jane McManus (who also works for his employer, ESPN) show, he's a real first class a-hole with serious personal issues.  

What's the term called when one tries to elevate oneself solely by putting down those around him? Whatever it is, that's what Cimini's got in spades, and he clearly takes pleasure in it as well.  

What a dick.  

YES!

YES!

It's unreal how obvious it is.  This isn't, "Well if the Jets don't want me to point out their failures then they should stop failing."  This is someone who WANTS them to fail so he can write about it.  

That's fine if he's been given an editorial column (or a radio show like Francesa where the point of the show itself is not to deliver sports news, but rather to deliver Francesa's editorializations of sports news mixed in with callers).  

But Cimini's job is to report the news with regards to the Jets, and writing "But imagine if [the Jets drafted and then gave a gigantic contract extension to a murderer]" shows his mindset, and shows his goal isn't in any way to merely report news.

What he fails to realize is editorial columns are (generally) given to people if there is an audience interested in the editorializer's opinions, and that no one is interested in Cimini's opinions. 

So the Jets never wanted Hernandez but IMAGINE IF THEY DID.

(imaginary) CIRCUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does Cimini even know that there's a salary cap in the NFL? Is it actually possible that he doesn't know that yet?

What a dick.  

Oddly enough, he never answers my questions.  Maybe one day I'll post a question as IRA since that m'fer gets every one of his questions answered and is the first one 99.9% of the time.  He's probably sucking off Cimini as I type this.  The only person I want to see get fired more than Cimini is Francesa.  Mehta is a close third. 

I have no problem with them having varying opinions, it's their unprofessionalism while giving those opinions that I can't stand.  Cimini's tweets towards McManus were the final straw.  Oddly enough, every time I would mention that on one of his ESPN articles, it would get removed by an admin very quickly lol.  One night I posted the same thing four or five times and the admins removed it right away.  I took his Tweet towards her, changed the words so I was referencing the article he just wrote and called it sh*t.  I just kept cutting and pasting and eventually the admin got tired of deleting it and it stayed up there the rest of the night.

What he fails to realize is editorial columns are (generally) given to people if there is an audience interested in the editorializer's opinions, and that no one is interested in Cimini's opinions. 

That moron IRA values Cimini's opinions.  He's always commenting on them or showing up to his chats.  I don't even know IRA and I can't stand him.

Archived