Brandon Moore signs with Cowboys then promptly retires

T0mShane

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

apparently, he decided to retire instead of playing with the cowboys. do the jets still get a comp pick?

Where did you see this?  The original retirement announcement for Moore happened a week or two ago, long before the signing.  Seems odd that he'd plan on retiring, then decide to sign a contract only to turn around and decide to still retire.

Scratch that, apparently you're right.  Certainly a bit odd.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9546490/brandon-moore-retires-join-dallas-cowboys

Brandon Moore retires

After reaching agreement Tuesday night with the Dallas Cowboys, guard Brandon Moore has decided to retire, according to a league source.

Moore could not bring himself to get on a plane and leave his family and informed the Cowboys of his decision Wednesday morning.

In deciding to retire, Moore passed up $2 million in 2013. He was to receive a $500,000 signing bonus, a base salary of $1.25 million, which was fully guaranteed and a $250,000 play time bonus in his one-year contract.

Moore, 33, played for offensive coordinator Bill Callahan for four years with the New York Jets. He spent his first 11 seasons with the Jets, starting 142 of 144 games in his career and every game since 2005. 

The Cowboys were interested in Moore because Nate Livings is expected to miss two to four weeks because of knee surgery last week, and Mackenzy Bernadeau returned to practice late last week after missing the first two-plus weeks with a hamstring injury.

Moore was involved in the infamous "Butt Fumble" play on Thanksgiving Night last year in a play in which Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez slid into Moore and saw the fumble returned for a New England Patriots touchdown.

I don't think the Jets would have received a comp pick any way.  I think the max is three, and the Jets should have already been at or over that number before Moore.

I think it's actually 4, but you're likely right that it wouldn't have gotten them any more picks regardless.  The only thing it might have done though was help to bump up one of the lower comp picks a little bit.

it's notable that he got double vet min, people were saying he was worth vet min were wrong.

Yeah, the guy who sat on his couch for five months until being offered a one-year deal by a team that recently suffered injuries to both starting guards is really making us eat some crow.

I think it's a little like Brett Favre.  Favre received all that grief for retiring and then unretiring, but I think that at the end of every season he was just physically beat and didn't even want to think about getting into shape for next season.  Then after a few weeks of rest the body heals a little  and he provisionally starts working out again just, you know, to see and then his recovery gains momentum and a return seems actually possible.

I think Moore figured he put himself through another year, retired when he got no offers, then when $2M was dangled in front of him he went for it-only to discover after the joy of being offered the money that he could not put his body through it again.

so was Ryan Lilja. Until he's wasn't anymore.  Maybe Moore is really done but this talk about him bleeding green and white etc i bet he'd come back. 

We need nasty guys in the interior of our line, not guys who are coming off the couch.  That's why we drafted the Kent State guy.  Maybe if we suffer an injury on the line or our many new faces on the line all turn out to be busts we can broach the topic then.

We need nasty guys in the interior of our line, not guys who are coming off the couch.  That's why we drafted the Kent State guy.  Maybe if we suffer an injury on the line or our many new faces on the line all turn out to be busts we can broach the topic then.

the nasty Kent State guy has been dinged up with an ankle all week and Peterman has a bad shoulder. It's getting to be about that time. 

Archived