Adam Schefter: "People within the Jets organization pushed for Simms to be the starter"

Matt39

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"People within the organization" means nothing to me. I'm sure it wasn't 100% unanimous in favor of Geno, but so what? If Rex, Marty, Lee and Idzik agreed on Geno then who cares what everyone else thought? Even if it was just Rex and Idzik that agreed, etc.

People can't "push" for a player to start unless they are part of the evaluation system somehow.

If true, it is significant because it was understood that the competition for starter was between Mark and Geno.  Matt Simms was a scrap heap QB who couldn't keep the starting job in college and who would be lucky to beat out McElroy for third string.

As the preseason went on, it was made clear that the competition was still between Sanchez and Geno only, Simms might look OK against the other teams scrubs but he's not within 100 miles of starter consideration.

If this report is correct, then the truth is that Simms was not really out of consideration after all.  Geno might not have the team to himself all year if he doesn't show progression.

Just reported on ESPN. Jets ultimately couldnt pull the trigger because of the apparent PR nightmare that it would have caused.

Said to keep an eye on Simms if Geno continues to struggle.

In a rebuilding year ANYTHING is possible. If Geno continues to throw picks at a Sanchez rate why not look at Simms? Are we trying to win games here or not? A lot of what happened in Foxborough was NOT Geno's fault, though he did do some stupid things as all rookies will. I'm just saying that if these mistakes continue why not try Simms. He has a great arm and does not appear to get spooked or happy feet like Sanchez.

"People within the organization" means nothing to me. I'm sure it wasn't 100% unanimous in favor of Geno, but so what? If Rex, Marty, Lee and Idzik agreed on Geno then who cares what everyone else thought? Even if it was just Rex and Idzik that agreed, etc.

It's an easy way for a reporter to present what might have been a discussion within the organization as some major disagreement. Personally think Simms did win the "open competition" but not upset he didn't ge to start. Suspect given the nature of injuries for NFL QBS he will get his shot this season anyway.

What I like best about this story so that if Geno gets hurt, they're more likely to turn to Simms than Quinn. I think I'd still be shocked if they pulled Geno for him, though.

If he puts another game up against the Bills like his last two they have to do something.  Who would go to a game?  opposing fans?

Simms' preseason performance was enough to have his name tossed in the hat.  I'm not surprised the higher-ups considered it; it's all we talked about here for a week or two, and the debate of Simms v. Smith even made it's way to the talking heads on TV.  

I like what slats said: at least this means if Geno gets hurt, it will be Simms and not Quinn. 

does the guy who cleans the bathroom count as "people within the organization "?

unless this is morningwood or lee its just more jets are a circus narrative

is this mcelsacks going away present ?

does the guy who cleans the bathroom count as "people within the organization "?

unless this is morningwood or lee its just more jets are a circus narrative

is this mcelsacks going away present ?

woody?

Who gives a flying F if it was discussed, Smith started. How is this newsworthy? Organizations discussing their personnel is a shocking story? If Geno Smith wa the overall #1 pick it would be a story.

this is just another example of complete incompetence by the front office that that a story was even allowed to be made about it. If there is any truth to it at all the Jets never ever ever ever ever deserve to win sh*t as an organization.

Archived