Kellen Clemens time in St. Louis

Jetsfan80

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tebow in 3....2......1   TEBOW TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking Matt Hasselbeck being asked to come out of retirement, due to his familiarity with Fisher.  But for at least 1 week I imagine Clemens gets the nod.

EDIT:  Just realized Hasselbeck is Andrew Luck's backup.  Who knew?

I was thinking Matt Hasselbeck being asked to come out of retirement, due to his familiarity with Fisher.  But for at least 1 week I imagine Clemens gets the nod.

EDIT:  Just realized Hasselbeck is Andrew Luck's backup.  Who knew?

they are going to have to pick up a qb regardless. I heard Clemens is the only qb currently on the roster

See how good Fisher thinks they are, and how desperate they are to prove they're winners: dangle Matt Simms to them for a 3rd or 4th based on his (almost) Ratliff-level performance.

I approve of this idea.

See how good Fisher thinks they are, and how desperate they are to prove they're winners: dangle Matt Simms to them for a 3rd or 4th based on his (almost) Ratliff-level performance.

Brian the Brain would taint Simms into a check down chump. Would like the kid to get a real chance somewhere. 

Ron Jaworski is fapping feverishly somewhere. 

If you think about it, he wasn't that far off when he said Clemens would be the best QB in that draft.  Other than Cutler, who's had a better career than Clemens?  Young and Leinart are both out of the league right now.

That's true.

There's a big dropoff between first and second round in terms of QB success.  Most starting QB's are first rounders.

Of the QB's who had great success despite going in the second round:  Montana, Favre, Brees and Esiason-all but Montana were widely considered likely to go in the first round-they just slipped down a little.  And Brees was the first player taken in the second round.

Clemens came at it from the other side.  Instead of being a possible first rounder who slipped down, he was considered an outsider who conceivably might go as high as the third round, but nobody would be shocked if he went down to the fifth round or lower.

Yet outside of Cutler, Clemens turned out to be the last guy still standing.

C'mon sperm, if you trade Simms...then who is gonna take us thru the playoffs if Geno goes down? Serious question

C'mon sperm, if you trade Simms...then who is gonna take us thru the playoffs if Geno goes down? Serious question

David Garrard :)

No one is offering us a mid-round pick for Simms, but the first one who does - during a temporary bout of extreme brain damage - gets him.

Look at it another way.  Pretend the Jet right now didn't have Matt Simms, but we do have two 3rd round picks next year.  You're telling me that GM Stugotz81 would trade away one of our 3rd round picks next year for 8 games of Matt Simms (an undrafted player, who the team cut just last year, and who still has never taken a snap against NFL starters) as the team's backup QB?

David Garrard :)

No one is offering us a mid-round pick for Simms, but the first one who does - during a temporary bout of extreme brain damage - gets him.

Look at it another way.  Pretend the Jet right now didn't have Matt Simms, but we do have two 3rd round picks next year.  You're telling me that GM Stugotz81 would trade away one of our 3rd round picks next year for 8 games of Matt Simms (an undrafted player, who the team cut just last year, and who still has never taken a snap against NFL starters) as the team's backup QB?

Trust me here Sperm, I am all on board with the Geno train now....but Simms was my first love so its hard to think of us separating so soon.

And Sperm, if I was GM....we would of had Simms and Spadola starting after week 2 lol

Trust me here Sperm, I am all on board with the Geno train now....but Simms was my first love so its hard to think of us separating so soon.

And Sperm, if I was GM....we would of had Simms and Spadola starting after week 2 lol

My point is by turning down a trade like that, you're effectively making that trade.  If the Rams (or anyone) was willing to fork over a 3rd round pick - never mind that this is impossible - then turning down that trade is the same as trading a 3rd rounder for Simms.  Worse still, the reason you outlined, for surrendering a 3rd or 4th round pick, was so he could be Geno's backup QB for the remainder of the season.

The Revis trade was a good example.  If we didn't trade him away, that's the same as trading away a #13 overall pick and high 3rd round pick next year, so we could have Revis for 1 more season before he hits free agency.

My point is by turning down a trade like that, you're effectively making that trade.  If the Rams (or anyone) was willing to fork over a 3rd round pick - never mind that this is impossible - then turning down that trade is the same as trading a 3rd rounder for Simms.  Worse still, the reason you outlined, for surrendering a 3rd or 4th round pick, was so he could be Geno's backup QB for the remainder of the season.

The Revis trade was a good example.  If we didn't trade him away, that's the same as trading away a #13 overall pick and high 3rd round next year, so we could have Revis for 1 more season before he hits free agency.

Well in that case when it comes to trading Simms you have to look at it in reverse, from the Rams perspective.  If you're the Rams, with Kellen Clemens as your only QB on the roster, what are you giving up to get Simms?  Probably no more than a 6th.  They're 3-4 in a very difficult division.  They probably would not have been going anywhere even with a healthy Bradford.  Apeasing the fans by going out and just getting any QB for a mid-round pick just to get one isn't a good idea.

Well in that case when it comes to trading Simms you have to look at it in reverse, from the Rams perspective.  If you're the Rams, with Kellen Clemens as your only QB on the roster, what are you giving up to get Simms?  Probably no more than a 6th.  They're 3-4 in a very difficult division.  They probably would not have been going anywhere even with a healthy Bradford.  Apeasing the fans by going out and just getting any QB for a mid-round pick just to get one isn't a good idea.

Agree, but if I'm Idzik that doesn't stop me from dangling him.  For a 6th? I'd probably keep him, seeing as how he showed enough for me to like him as much as any QB we're likely to get in the 6th round to fill a 2nd-3rd QB roster spot.  We have enough picks to bypass a 6th rounder.  There aren't going to be enough roster spots to keep all 12 picks we have as it is.  

If we really needed the extra 6th round pick that badly, then trade down 5 slots in round 3.  

He isn't going to garner a 3rd or 4th.  But I could see a 5th in 2015: because of his famous daddy people around the league have probably taken note of him a little more than most other UDFA 2nd/3rd string QBs.  Daddy Phil may even help spread the word how good he thinks his kid is.  

But why do it? Because Bradford pretty much has shown to have been quite unworthy of that #1 overall pick and the old-CBA contract that came along with the pick.  So the Rams do get something: they get to see someone else for 8 games that might make cutting Bradford a more obvious move, and save the team $27M in salary from 2014-2015.  Also if Simms works out it saves the team from having to use an even higher draft pick to compete with Bradford.

There's plenty of reason for them to do it.  As much as Bradford probably wasn't taking the team anywhere this year, they have to recognize that wild hopes aside, he's not taking them anywhere next year or the year after that either.  There are better uses of his $13-14M/year salary.

Archived