Rex job safe?

jay_psg

This is your 3rd thread in like 15 minutes.

Less coffee. 

As to the topic, Rex is in his 5th year - at the end of the season his complete body of work should be evaluated. It's bad business to ignore the whole and evaluate him and commit to him based upon 7 games. I'm excited about the rebuild too, but not to the point where I'd advocate bad business. 

To me Rex is STILL on the hot seat. I just don't believe in him as an all around HC. The guy can motivate when the chips are down and NO ONE expects the team to win. His problem comes  - as in the Pittsburgh game - when people are on the Jets bandwagon he doesn't seem to be able to lift the team to the heights he does when everyone is bashing them. I may be listed here as a One Trick Pony, but to me that is Rex Ryan in spades. Watch how poorly the team plays in Cincy when Keyshawn and maybe one other pick them to win. To me a .500 HC is nothing to hold on to.

Looks to me like Rex is currently in line for a one year extension. He's doing a great job with a weak roster. It's not conclusive, but where the team is right now, I'd think Idzik would want to keep the band together another year. Then see how they do with some talent upgrades on the field before either cutting ties or giving him the big contract.

Looks to me like Rex is currently in line for a one year extension. He's doing a great job with a weak roster. It's not conclusive, but where the team is right now, I'd think Idzik would want to keep the band together another year. Then see how they do with some talent upgrades on the field before either cutting ties or giving him the big contract.

IMO, you'd have to give him a full four year extension or none at all. You can't make him a de facto lame duck again and expect him to lead the franchise through a rebuild.

IIRC, Lovie Smith had the Bears at 10-0 and still ended up getting wacked. Lots of season left. Kudos to Rex for getting the team to 4-3 at this point. I said kudos to Rex for getting the team to 4-3 at this point.

said kudos to Rex for getting the team to 4-3 at this point.

I think Tom's account has been hacked

Based on his preparation during the week, and in game adjustments, and game plans he would be safe.  In game coaching decisions have been pretty bad, and almost fireable bad, he has gotten away with a lot of bad coaching decisions, if he doesn't corrale his emotions in the heat of the battle it just might cost him his job.

Way too early to call him safe.  Too many things can happen between now and the end of the season.  It won't be just about the record, either -- the direction of the team and vibe is going to carry a lot of weight.  He's temporarily safe only when his extension is signed, sealed and delivered.

I believe it would be safe to say at this point Rex has secured this job. Even if rest of the season goes 3-6 he has exceeded expectations and more imporatantly beat the pats!!!

If the season ended today I would say he's safe

but the season has not ended

IMO, you'd have to give him a full four year extension or none at all. You can't make him a de facto lame duck again and expect him to lead the franchise through a rebuild.

Agreed. If he gets extended (and I think he deserves to be), then it's a multi-year move.  A one year extension puts them in the same situation next year, and will turn off many top tier free agents from signing with the team.

Best thing that has happened to REX- Marty taking over the offensive play calling

Truth. Remains to be seen. Mangini was fired off 9 wins, Lovey Smith was fired off 10 wins last year. The decision to retain or fire him won't be made until the season ends. Wrecks is blessed with an owner that very much likes him.

As long as the season doesnt implode, I say he is safe. Even 7-9 should do it with this roster - but I would be surprised if the record is that bad. It would be a bad idea to give him an extension right now though for a lot of reasons. It might interfere with his ability to motivate the team for the rest of this year. 

+1

I think at this point Rex stays, unless the team starts sliding backwards at an alarming rate. Assuming most games are at least respectably played, I feel like Rex is around for at least another year.

One year extension? I'm LMAO.  You don't watch much sports? Either the Jets offers Rex a minimum of three years or they fired him.  No coach will ever agree to a one year.   

Playoffs or he is on the unemployment line.....which is unfortunate too bc I feel once Revis is cut at the end of this year he will easily comeback and sign with the Jets for a reasonable price if he can join this beast of a defense led by Rex. 

Or they fired Rex and the Bucs signs him as their HC and then take them to the SB. Our miserably luck as usual.

One year extension? I'm LMAO. You don't watch much sports? Either the Jets offers Rex a minimum of three years or they fired him. No coach will ever agree to a one year.

This from the guy who says Cromartie is the worst CB he's ever seen play for the Jets.

FWIW, the Jets are the 2nd wildcard team as things stand right now.  I'd say Rex, for all his shortcoming with clock management, bad challenges and too many penalties, has earned his extension.

Being the 2nd wild card after week seven is not a thing, is it?  I have been firmly in the Rex camp all along, but it is still early yet. Let's see how this team finishes the season and if they  keep fighting. 

Being the 2nd wild card after week seven is not a thing, is it?  I have been firmly in the Rex camp all along, but it is still early yet. Let's see how this team finishes the season and if they  keep fighting. 

It's kind of a thing when the consensus on your team was bottom five (or bottom one in ESPN's case) and the expected win count has already been exceeded before the halfway point.  I just point that out to say that thinking playoffs isn't really far-fetched at all.  And keeping this team in the hunt through the last week or two, even if we don't make it, represents a significant improvement over what any reasonable person could have expected.

Archived