What We All Pretty Much Knew Or At Least Suspected (Certain rules for some)

SoFlaJets

(Like Tom Brady)

John Lynch, a hard hitter in his day, gave viewers a sneak preview during the fourth quarter of

Saints-Jets. The Fox analyst, working with Kevin Burkhardt, didn’t go totally Meriweather after Jets safety

Josh Bush was flagged for roughing the passer (a hit to Drew Brees’ knee), but basically said New Orleans’

franchise QB is in the NFL’s version of protective custody.

The Saints were facing a third-and-6 from their 40. Brees threw incomplete. The official threw the flag.

And Fox put up a replay, which, among other things, showed Brees complaining to the officials.

“I don’t think that (the penalty) is right. That’s supposed to be below the knees,” Lynch said. “I get it.

It’s Drew Brees. Where are you suppose to hit him? You can’t hit him high. It’s supposed to be below

the knees. That’s a good legal hit. That’s a horrible call in a critical situation.”

Meriweather would have used stronger language. He would’ve been in desperate need of a seven-

second delay. Yet Lynch, who favors everything about the defensive side of the ball, made the point

and made it well

Still, the Foxies thought it necessary to bring in Mike Pereira, their in-house official, to basically

repeat what Lynch had already said

Pereira only got in Lynch’s way. What Lynch did was cast aspersions on the impact these “safety-first

” rules have on the game and the way it’s played. He also revealed something known for years, yet a

situation that’s getting worse: Different rules apply to Brees and other superstar quarterback who are

“faces” of the NFL.

Fortunately, Lynch cannot be fined for his commentary.

We think.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/raissman-nfl-analyst-lynch-knees-article-1.1505741#ixzz2johYK6v0

In real time it looked like Bush went low. Awful call though...the rule itself is stupid.

This

Brees' reaction made it look like it was a hit to the knees, but in slow motion you can see why, Bush's mid section hit caused Brees' right knee to buckle because of the awkward position he was in, and that is what sold the penalty IMO.

In real time it looked like Bush went low. Awful call though...the rule itself is stupid.

Definitely a tough call, he slid down from Brees' waist and ended up holding below his knees, so I can understand the ref's view. It doesn't help that Brees is 5 foot tall, but I still think unless it's absolutely blatant, you've gotta swallow your whistle there.  You're right though, tough rule. How many QBs outside of Brady had their ACLs torn from tackles in the pocket like that?

Definitely a tough call, he slid down from Brees' waist and ended up holding below his knees, so I can understand the ref's view. It doesn't help that Brees is 5 foot tall, but I still think unless it's absolutely blatant, you've gotta swallow your whistle there.  You're right though, tough rule. How many QBs outside of Brady had their ACLs torn from tackles in the pocket like that?

Palmer was the first I believe....

Palmer was the first I believe....

I remember Palmer going down and then the rule being made after Pollard took out Brady, but I don't remember off the top of my head any others. The ones I've seen recently were RG III and Hoyer and this rule wouldn't have protected them (I know Bradford to his too, but never actually saw the replay). It just seems interesting they'd enact a rule for something that's a rarity.

Was that the one where he was flagged for hitting Brees' helmet? Yea, that was another ticky-tack call. At least we know EJ Maneul won't be getting any of those.

Yep -- the one where Brees turned his head just as Mo's hand was coming down.  No intent and no force.  Incidental contact at the most.

The penalty called on Mo for the "forceful blow" to Brees' head was equally egregious. 

That's what I was thinking. The refs certainly tried to give them some extra (undeserved) plays, but hopefully they'll review the tape, realize their mistakes, and somehow make ammends with the Jets in future games. Nah - just busting yer balls, Jets are screwed!

the roughing call was so bad, the refs made up for it two plays later with a phantom hands to the face call on the Saints. Justice? 

Hmm...let's see, 15 yards and a first down on a third down play vs a 10 yard hands to the face penalty.  No doubt a make up call but with the huge imbalance of the impact of each flag, no way was it justice.

the roughing call was so bad, the refs made up for it two plays later with a phantom hands to the face call on the Saints. Justice? 

Yeah, while that call was absolutely awful against the Jets, I have to agree that I think they tried to give the Jets some makeup calls after that.  Aside the hands to the face, I also have a feeling that, even if it was the correct call, the Saints probably don't get called for that hold on their last drive if the refs hadn't known they completely screwed over the Jets earlier.  I could be wrong, but typically that's the kind of thing that top teams on potential game-winning drives simply don't get called for.

Make those calls subject to challenge.  Yes, that will further embarrass refs who make horrible calls.  Boo hoo.

F*ck no....I personally hate the fact that the NFL has used instant reply on everything - draws out the game and it loses the flow.  If anything they should limit challanges to 1 or 2 per team for the whole game.

F*ck no....I personally hate the fact that the NFL has used instant reply on everything - draws out the game and it loses the flow.  If anything they should limit challanges to 1 or 2 per team for the whole game.

Challenges are already pretty limited.  Max three per game and only two if you lose the first two.  For an obvious blown call on a late, critical drive, why not let a coach throw the red flag there.  An extra two minutes to get that call right seems worthwhile.  That was a call that might have been hard to make in real time but was painfully obvious on replay.  Get it right.

Challenges are already pretty limited.  Max three per game and only two if you lose the first two.  For an obvious blown call on a late, critical drive, why not let a coach throw the red flag there.  An extra two minutes to get that call right seems worthwhile.  That was a call that might have been hard to make in real time but was painfully obvious on replay.  Get it right.

Challenges are limited but you replay on scoring, booth reviews during the last 2 minutes, etc...I'm just saying for ex. give both teams 2 challenges during the game - use them wisely cuz that's all ya got.

Your absolutely right about the call being bogus SFJ, but this year at least, the Refs have been fairly kind to the Jets.  They have won two games off of penalties.  At least been aided

I wish that you guys that keep saying this about the NE game would remember that the game would never have goner to OT had the Hill TD not been overturned by an atrocious PI call. So they did not win that game off of a penalty (not to mention the fact that it was the correct call regardless of hether or not you like the rule itself).

The TB game was certainly aided by the boenheaded play, but again was the correct call. The Jets would have been called on that 10 out of 10 times guaranteed.

Yeah, while that call was absolutely awful against the Jets, I have to agree that I think they tried to give the Jets some makeup calls after that.  Aside the hands to the face, I also have a feeling that, even if it was the correct call, the Saints probably don't get called for that hold on their last drive if the refs hadn't known they completely screwed over the Jets earlier.  I could be wrong, but typically that's the kind of thing that top teams on potential game-winning drives simply don't get called for.

How did they know they screwed up the call? If anyone had seen anything different they would have (or should have) called it out to the ref that threw the flag and have it picked up. Outside of that they would have had to look at the replays on the screen. I highly doubt they did that unless Rex grabbed them by the ear and forced them to look at it.

How did they know they screwed up the call? If anyone had seen anything different they would have (or should have) called it out to the ref that threw the flag and have it picked up. Outside of that they would have had to look at the replays on the screen. I highly doubt they did that unless Rex grabbed them by the ear and forced them to look at it.

They actually showed at one point Rex doing almost exactly that, as he was flipping a sh*t on the referees as he pointed up to the screens during the replays.

It used to be that way, and there were no challenges at all before that.  The problem is it could not be kept that way for one very, very simple reason, which this thread illustrates quite well:  the officiating in the NFL is a heaping pile of sh*t.

They actually showed at one point Rex doing almost exactly that, as he was flipping a sh*t on the referees as he pointed up to the screens during the replays.

Don't remember exactly. Did the ref(s) actually look up at the screen? Coaches do this alot, but generally the refs just listen to the coach for a few seconds and then go on their way.

Make those calls subject to challenge.  Yes, that will further embarrass refs who make horrible calls.  Boo hoo.

I agree with Dan here. Make crucial calls like a 3rd and long call that the ball would essentially change hands had it not been for the call; reviewable. and flgreen said: :"You're absolutely right about the call being bogus SFJ, but this year at least, the Refs have been fairly kind to the Jets.  They have won two games off of penalties.  At least been aided"

I'm not talking about the Jets getting screwed by the refs this year fg, my message here is the whole "certain rules for certain players" thing that has been going on for the past 10-15 years it seems.John Lynch agrees and has seen what we have been seeing, especially when it came to Brady, and Peyton, certainly NOT Sanchez who took some hellacious shots that were hardly ever called, but had they been made against "the golden boys" well, like I said, we've ALL seen it.

Archived