Jets and Rex reach "multi-year" extension, per Schefter

nj meadowlands

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So excited! Can't wait to hear the details so I can finally be freed from this POS franchise and the moron fanbase that made this happen! Enjoy the mediocrity! Hey, it's better than being horrible right, have that going for you!

We both know you aren't going anywhere. 

We'll have to see the details of the contract, but I imagine there will be something in there to save Woody money if we are forced to cut ties. 

Given that the contract is apparently "heavily incentivized for postseason wins", I would take that to mean that seriously decreases the guarantees in the deal and thus makes potentially firing him less costly.

This is worse. This is dumb no matter how you slice it. Coming off of 3 years without a winning season, to reward that is not only unnecessary, but asinine.

They could have easily let him play out his last year, or given him a one year extension. This is so typical moron Jet franchise it's not even funny.

Well once the words "Rex will be back" crept out of the mouths of a ecstatic locker room win for week 17, we were stuck with rex for 2014.

Does not have to be the case with '15

All massively overblown...Sticking with failing players is a much bigger deal when you're holding someone back rather than just fans imagining greener pastures are always riiiight there waiting. Until someone actually proves it, this has not been the case at one single position. I have absolutely no regrets that I personally did not see McElroy or Simms blowing chunks at the NFL level. The odds are against then even being better than Sanchez or rookie Smith.

His offensives ineptitude led to the stealing of Mornhinweg. This is a good thing. Best OC the Jets have had in probably decades.

It's not just the QB he sticks with. He left Milliner out there many times when he looked lost. He left Kyle Wilson in there this season to get four penalties in four plays. Vlad Ducasse. Etc etc etc.

And yes. The heavens sent us Mornhinweg who led the Jets number 25 overall offense.  We are saved.

Hah! They announce Rex's deal and soon the deals for the assistants because Kotica's departure has been "handled".  Knew it.

Special teams didn't do well but Kotwica's been here a long time and also he's a West Point graduate who came back to coach West Point after active duty.  You don't just get rid of people like that.  So they hold off on finalizing Rex's contract, have Kotwica sign with another team of his own volition, then after that annnounce Rex's multi-year pact and soon the other assistants' deals.

It was all about showing respect to Kotwica.  Rex's deal was almost certainly reached well before this, but they couldn't announce it because then they would have to announce the assistants' deals and reveal the Kotwica situation.

Well once the words "Rex will be back" crept out of the mouths of a ecstatic locker room win for week 17, we were stuck with rex for 2014.

Does not have to be the case with '15

Of course not, but this is clearly a we want to rebuild with Rex move. He will be here at least through 2015, maybe longer.

Meanwhile, Darrell Bevell isn't even being considered for the other open positions.  It's pretty sad when the likes of Jim Caldwell are considered a better option than you are.

To be fair, he's still coaching and likely not very available for interviews and the like. I've no opinion on him as a coach, but he's still coaching.

To be fair, he's still coaching and likely not very available for interviews and the like. I've no opinion on him as a coach, but he's still coaching.

He didn't even interview anywhere.  Seattle's Defensive Coordinator did, and was strongly considered for the Titans job.

All those teams passing on all those coordinators that are still on Super Bowl runs! They must all suck!

As far as I know Bevell was on Minnesota's and Washington's list of candidates. They both went with coordinators from the Bengals, a playoff team. Not sure if Bevell even interviewed but if he did those teams both decided to go in another direction.

So excited! Can't wait to hear the details so I can finally be freed from this POS franchise and the moron fanbase that made this happen! Enjoy the mediocrity! Hey, it's better than being horrible right, have that going for you!

Take care of yourself! :)

Given that the contract is apparently "heavily incentivized for postseason wins", I would take that to mean that seriously decreases the guarantees in the deal and thus makes potentially firing him less costly.

I'm interested to see what those details are. I expect that the guarantees he got on a multi-year deal are well north of what they were originally offering in a one year extension. The incentification could've come from Rex's end. I think he was fully prepared to bet on himself and play out his original deal, and field offers as a free agent. He's probably betting on himself here, accepting language that attaches money to the post-season victories he expects.

As far as I know Bevell was on Minnesota's and Washington's list of candidates. They both went with coordinators from the Bengals, a playoff team. Not sure if Bevell even interviewed but if he did those teams both decided to go in another direction.

They both hired coordinators that were available.

He didn't even interview anywhere.  Seattle's Defensive Coordinator did, and was strongly considered for the Titans job.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefterJan 3

Vikings scheduled to interview Browns DC Ray Horton for their HC job. Minnesota kicks off its HC interviews Darrell Bevell and Dan Quinn.

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefterDec 31

Washington GM Bruce Allen and Redskins officials are in Seattle today, interviewing Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell, per NFL sources.

Do you even research, bro?

Archived